Wiki Posts
Search

Auckand to Christchurch in the back seat? of a P51D Mustang

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Auckand to Christchurch in the back seat? of a P51D Mustang

Last month I managed to get a ride on this ferry flight down to Christchurch in this very exciting warbird. Seat pitch was quite small, parachute very hard and inflight service minimal. Great view and the sound......
Old May 2, 2016, 6:10 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Holy Moly.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
looks fun
Old May 3, 2016, 2:35 am

Amazing!
Old May 4, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Oh wow. That looks amazing. Near where I live, there's a flying museum which offers rides in a B-17G. I think you've convinced me to go take a ride. The B-17 is great and all, but a P-51, I'd give my right... I'd I give up a lot for a ride.

Thanks for sharing!
Old May 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Originally Posted by dat4life
Oh wow. That looks amazing. Near where I live, there's a flying museum which offers rides in a B-17G. I think you've convinced me to go take a ride. The B-17 is great and all, but a P-51, I'd give my right... I'd I give up a lot for a ride.

Thanks for sharing!
I would definitely recommend a spin in a P51, one of my best ever flight experiences. Though it did seem a lot of $$ when I did the flight, upon reflection it was worth every penny and more, I doubt that even dementia will erase those memories! The B17 would be amazing also but you wouldn't be doing too much aerobatic work in one of those. It looks like there are a few P51 operators in your area, go and do it!
Old May 22, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
For those wanting a ride in a WWII bird, the U.S. Collings Foundation flies several around every spring and summer. They have a website with schedules and prices.

My husband bought me a ride in a B-24 a couple of years ago. My father was aircraft commander of a Liberator in Italy in 1944-45. That ride was thrilling and made me deeply cognizant of the sacrifices made by aviators who flew those planes.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Looks amazing - thanks for posting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.