Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

QR J (A380, 77W & B787) - Ritz-Carlton Tokyo - Sakura, Sushi & a Birthday Celebration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR J (A380, 77W & B787) - Ritz-Carlton Tokyo - Sakura, Sushi & a Birthday Celebration

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Great TR JohnRain, Sakura really is a great time to visit Japan you ticked off many of the sites I did in 2015, brings back great memories.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I'm using a Sony RX 100 III but I really need to start reading the operating manual to make the most out of it.
I'll be honest I was hoping you would be using a big DSLR where the lens costs as much as the body. I use the RX100 I and I don't get anywhere near the photo quality.

It is just a shame you got the Kim Kardashian of the panda world and no good photos.

Are those Gazelles you are wearing? My Stan Smiths served me very well in SFO, first time back after a long time with Nike.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Stop being lazy, post more stuff!
Old May 3, 2016, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Great TR JohnRain, Sakura really is a great time to visit Japan you ticked off many of the sites I did in 2015, brings back great memories.
Thanks a lot, DaveNCL! Glad you're enjoying the report.

I'll be honest I was hoping you would be using a big DSLR where the lens costs as much as the body. I use the RX100 I and I don't get anywhere near the photo quality.
Thanks a lot for the compliment. I'm just an amateur who's yet to read the instruction manual, but I'll probably never go down the RAW / Lighthouse path like a few others here on FT who really publish extraordinary photos. I'm currently working on improving the picture quality in certain conditions (low light, fast moving objects), where I'm not happy with the results.

It is just a shame you got the Kim Kardashian of the panda world and no good photos.
LOL, shame indeed!

Are those Gazelles you are wearing? My Stan Smiths served me very well in SFO, first time back after a long time with Nike.
Yes, these are Gazelles. I like Adidas' concept of refreshing the design/color of classic models. It gives their shoes a more urban, vintage look.

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Stop being lazy, post more stuff!
LOL TOMFORD, here you go...

Last edited by JohnRain; May 3, 2016 at 2:08 am
Old May 3, 2016, 12:38 am
Original Poster

This was going to be a food-marathon. As the RC Club Lounge conveniently serves breakfast until 11AM and the weather forecast was lousy, we decided to sleep in, grab a quick (and light) bite for breakfast and head to Narisawa for lunch. That was the plan, but by at 8AM I was awake and went for a swim. Back in the room I watched these guys do their perilous job for some time, as the weather conditions had further deteriorated.

And back to my favourite spot, the table in the corner room of the Club Lounge. My initial plan of eating light was quickly thrown out the window as I had an omelette and french toast to start. (I was so hungry that by the time I remembered to take a picture they were both gone).

Shortly after noon we left for Narisawa, No. 8 in the list of the world's best restaurants. http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/...nners/Narisawa
The cuisine can best be described as Asian-French fusion and it was quite an experience...
Disclaimer: if you're feeling hungry, watch the following pics at your own risk (or grab a sandwich).

Bread dough ...

...baked at the table...

...and here's the end result.

After we lunch, we took a digestive stroll through Shibuya. One of the neighbourhood's more famous shops, Shibuya 109, displaying tons of quirky stuff.

Some impressions from Shibuya.

Crowded Takeshita Street in Harajuku.

Thanks, but no thanks.

We then went to a place more to my liking, Tsutaya Books, one of the most amazing books & media stores with a very trendy café/restaurant, Anjin.

Next stop, the Aman, where I had booked the afternoon tea, but we weren't hungry so we just had a few drinks.

And finally Sushi Iwa, which like so many great places in Tokyo is very easy to overlook. I witnessed another bit of japanese humour when my Uber driver who had a hard time finding the place got out of the car and went into what he believed to be the restaurant, then came out again and screamed "Bingooo!" while giving me a double thumbs up. (What made it so funny was the fact that the guy was in his seventies).

The meal was absolutely delicious but unfortunately not very photogenic, as sushi at a top restaurant doesn't really look that different than at a hole in the wall kind of place and I therefore decided to pass on the photo op.

Back to the hotel for the last food of the day, some lovely macarons.

Conclusion: If you're on a diet, don't come to Tokyo.

Up Next: Happo-En, The Peninsula & Yakumo Saryo
Old May 3, 2016, 5:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Old May 3, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Quite funny food pictures! Never had a bread baked at my table..... Also it seems I have found my new dream Job ;-)
Old May 3, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Serious question about Narisawa - with some of the more avant-garde plated dishes, was it easy to determine what was and wasn't edible? I'm imagining myself chewing on a stick while a Japanese waiter laughs at me...
Old May 3, 2016, 5:13 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by LizGross144
Serious question about Narisawa - with some of the more avant-garde plated dishes, was it easy to determine what was and wasn't edible? I'm imagining myself chewing on a stick while a Japanese waiter laughs at me...
My thoughts exactly… for a while I was seriously wondering if you were meant to eat that raw bread dough…
Old May 5, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

LOL about your picture TOMFORD! Omnomnomnivore is my favourite new word...

Originally Posted by offerendum
Quite funny food pictures! Never had a bread baked at my table..... Also it seems I have found my new dream Job ;-)
That was a first for me too offerendum, but I really enjoyed Narisawa. Some of the restaurants in those "best of" lists are style over substance, but not in this case. Of course it's not the place to choose if you're looking for comfort food, but if you're looking for a culinary experience, you get your money's worth. What's your new dream job by the way, food tester at Narisawa?

Originally Posted by LizGross144
While this is something that has actually happened to me in the past in another avant-garde restaurant, at Narisawa the waiters (ours was from New York) did a good job in explaining the dishes to you, which makes the whole experience very straightforward and enjoyable, LizGross144.

Originally Posted by helvetic
My thoughts exactly… for a while I was seriously wondering if you were meant to eat that raw bread dough…
The raw bread dough was the most conceptual of all dishes, but the waiters explained from the start that it would be baked at the table so there was no room for confusion or any awkward moment, helvetic. I like your handle by the way... ^

Update:
the next installment will be online on Monday

Last edited by JohnRain; May 6, 2016 at 10:41 am
Old May 5, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Yes, I've been in the same situation before (often at Grant Achatz restuarants) where I don't know if I should be eating something or not ... I'd imagine it's even harder in Asia, but I'm glad to hear that you felt all the dishes were explained well (in what I assume was English).
Old May 5, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks!

What a great TR, and a lovely reminder of my trip to Tokyo a couple of years ago. I stayed at The Peninsula which I loved (apart from the weird lobby) and also ate at Kyubey -one of my favorite meals of my life - I loved the fact they were super serious about their craft, but also playful and friendly, not always the case with Tokyo sushi. Thanks for posting. P.S. On your next trip, try just asking for the Roller, the Pen drove me to one dinner and one lunch in it free of charge!
Old May 6, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
That was a first for me too offerendum, but I really enjoyed Narisawa. Some of the restaurants in those "best of" lists are style over substance, but not in this case. Of course it's not the place to choose if you're looking for comfort food, but if you're looking for a culinary experience, you get your money's worth. What's your new dream job by the way, food tester at Narisawa?
Yeah, Food tester would be great. I meant this working guys in the air
Old May 6, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I really appreciate the quality of your photos, the organization of the TR, your precise commentary and wit (carried on your dad's shoulders is the best way to go to school indeed). Excellent work. We went to Tokyo for a long weekend a couple of years ago and stayed at the Ritz. You prompted us to relive it.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:42 am

Tsutaya books is really such a cool place. I find that every book in there (almost) seems like it would be the best coffee book ever. Kind of overwhelming.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Thanks a lot for your praise, SFO777! ...
I had never heard of the expression "fiscal restraint" (surely coined by a Swiss) but I like the sound of it. I'll use it as an excuse the next time Mrs JohnRain complains about the size of the room...
LOL on yours and SFO777's comments on fiscal restraint. Also somewhat amusing that the G7 meeting will be in Tokyo in 3 weeks.

Thanks for a great TR JohnRain. I had a great trip to Tokyo last November and am looking forward to being back again - arriving tomorrow. I was tempted to stay at the Ritz but will be back at MO Tokyo as I'm a fan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.