Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From Summit to Safari (Tanzania, Zanzibar, Kenya and Ghana) (QR A350, BA J; PW, P2,

From Summit to Safari (Tanzania, Zanzibar, Kenya and Ghana) (QR A350, BA J; PW, P2,

Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Subscribed!

I love your careful cataloguing of the beers. I remember arriving in Tanzania after months of overland travel through Africa (many years ago, admittedly) and delightedly discovering Bingwa beer, which was not only flavoursome and strong (7% abv) but also came in oversized bottles (500ml I think). Devastatingly effective at inducing coma-like levels of relaxation when consumed in the heat of the middle of the day...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:31 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rivlinm
Visiting Zanzibar was more or less a destination to visit just because we were in the neighborhood and I suspected we would want some R&R following our climb up Kili. Besides, I was curious if you could actually get there in a car.
For the uninitiated, this is well worth listening to:

and part 2 at

Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Great stuff. Zanzibar is one of the places I've daydreamed about since childhood, so I'm eager to get there vicariously via your TR.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Kilimanjaro (Day 1 – Simba Camp)

At long last, trek day had arrived. I had no delay in arising from the stagnant air and heading to breakfast by 7:00. We had the typical fruit and a watermelon juice along with omelet, toast and sausage. After a few last emails and texts we checked our suitcases with the hotel and handed over our packs to be weighed (had to be under 15kg) and loaded on the bus. We were all well under at about 10-11 kg, but as the trek progressed we began to only carry the essentials in our day bag and loaded more on the porter’s shoulders. (as suggested by our guide John)

Just the beginning of our week-long fruit buffet

Watermelon juice

The main course

Weigh in: 11kg for porter’s bag, 8kg for day bag

Loading the bus

Fully loaded, we set off on our rather long drive. Since we selected the Rongai route we needed to drive completely around the mountain to the north side along the Kenyan/Tanzanian border. Before we could do that though we would have to stop at the park’s main gate (Marunga) to sign in. We hardly were driving five minutes before our crew realized they had left the all-important thermos behind. Rather than turn around, they asked a member of the local taxi-bike mafia to drive back and fetch it. Without further delay we made our way east and passed a slew of roadside towns with all sorts of sights.

Nice Kili views along the route

Packs of bikers just sit along the road waiting to be of service to anyone on foot

A few shillings for running an errand

Sure we are south of the equator, (~3.3 deg S) but is a summer coat really necessary?

Passing

MDOT (Moshi Department of Transportation)

While the crew sorted out the final details with the park we enjoyed a good pestering by some locals who wanted to place dibs on our gear (and money) when we returned. Eventually we found a quiet pavilion with some figures about the mountain and its history. Its first successful accent was in 1889 by German Hans Meyer and Austrian Ludwig Purtscheller. More impressively was the plaque devoted to other achievements such as the fastest accent and descent in an astonishing six hours and 42 minutes. Even though no one under age ten is allowed above 3,700 m individuals between ages seven and 85 have summited the mountain. Once we were back on the road, we had about two hours of driving through some pretty small, but bustling towns before eventually reaching the gate for the Rongai route. Just before arriving at the gate, we stopped to let the crew purchase a few last items and we were given a box lunch.

Arrived, sorta

Karibu

Park rules and rates

Trying to price out everything we own

Avoiding our new friends atop the bus

Tanzanian students attempting the climb without porters

Look mom! No hands!

The km long stretch of road where banana buyers meet banana sellers

Concentration

Cheating with a hand

Carts: for those who are not capable of holding 20-25kg of bananas on their head

Show off

Avocado town

Finally a hands free banana woman

IKEA

Lunch box

Roadside schoolyard

Someone forgot their uniform

Must be getting close to the mountain

Once at Rongai, the porters went about their business to weigh in (park regulations) and we signed in again before heading down the trail. When we first began, I thought we would never make it. I think a sloth would have passed us at the pace we were held to. I suspect our assistant guide, Samuel, was just getting a feel for everyone’s abilities, as we eventually sped up and were on our way. At one point my dad took a bit of a spill, but just brushed it off and carried on without much thought. The first half of today’s ‘walk’ was across some farmland as we encountered the occasional home or farmer along the way. Eventually we took more of a trail than the road, but it was never particularly steep. About 2/3 of the way to Simba Camp the porters passed us and it began to spit a bit, but not enough to really take notice.

Signing in

The only visitors today!

Last clean photo

Where the trail (or road) begins

Photo stop one of thousands

Tracking steps

Last chance for brown bananas

Putting a bandage on the knee

Porter passing

Just as heavy as the bananas

One of the few inclines

Kenya

Taking a little break with the hunchback of Notre Dame

Finally at 16:30 we arrived at Simba Camp with the rain luckily skipping us (a perk of hiking on the north side). We tossed our bags in the tent and relaxed for a bit before being served tea and popcorn. Dinner followed shortly after and consisted of soup, potatoes, chewy beef stew and an avocado slice. My dad’s knee had really tightened up since we arrived in camp and he struggled to get back to his tent. While we didn’t walk all that far, or at a high elevation, we were ready for bed and headed to sleep after a successful day one.

We’ve arrived

Simba Camp

Ranger’s cabin (they work ten day shifts)

Signing in for tonight’s camp with John

No bathroom was the same all trek, but this one was tolerable

It even came with a guide

And now time for food

Dining tent setup

Soup kicked off every dinner

Potatoes and vegetables

Beef stew

Avocado

Today’s Data
Distance: 4.38 mi, 7.05 km
Time 3:04:00
Camp Elevation: 8763’, 2671m
Daily Elevation Change: +2099’, +640m
Average Pace: 42:06 min/mile

Hike to Simba Camp

Overall Progress
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the lengthy delay in posting. I had some things I needed to tend to but I'm back and ready to post the rest of my trip as fast as I can. I have another just around the corner and can't leave until this is done!

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Subscribed!

I love your careful cataloguing of the beers. I remember arriving in Tanzania after months of overland travel through Africa (many years ago, admittedly) and delightedly discovering Bingwa beer, which was not only flavoursome and strong (7% abv) but also came in oversized bottles (500ml I think). Devastatingly effective at inducing coma-like levels of relaxation when consumed in the heat of the middle of the day...
I regret not doing that on previous trips. I save all the bottle caps and there a few I can't recall. Ndovu was my version of Bingwa.

Originally Posted by nsx
For the uninitiated, this is well worth listening to:
I never realized the song was THAT long! Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Great stuff. Zanzibar is one of the places I've daydreamed about since childhood, so I'm eager to get there vicariously via your TR.
Same here, never really imagined as a kid I would visit.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Kilimanjaro (Day 2 – Second Cave Camp)

Arose the next morning to a beautiful sunrise casting a warm glow across the mountain, but not particularly well rested. More importantly what we most dreaded was dad’s knee was still really tight and he felt he couldn’t continue. After thinking of possible alternatives to keeping him on the trail he decided it was best to be safe and head back. (based on his ability to hobble at best, it would have been a few difficult days ahead in his condition) Not the news we wanted to hear, but hey, it’s just another excuse to return! The crew arranged a few porters to help him back down while the rest of us would continue on after breakfast. We enjoyed some fruit, porridge, toast, eggs and sausage. Since it was still warm out, we chose to enjoy breakfast outside of the dining tent. A lovely and serene atmosphere. Before parting ways we made sure to get a few photos with Kili in the background!

Good morning (Kenya off in the distance)

The sun will make sure the fresh snow doesn’t last long

Coffee time

Butter like cheese, we never could decide

Serving the porridge

Morning fuel

Team photo

Been there, Seen that

So long…

Because of our seven-day itinerary, we never had much ground to cover in a given day (sort of a curse as we would be bored most afternoons) but we still started the journey pretty early each morning. Tonight’s camp, Second Cave Camp, is often a lunch spot for groups who are continuing on to Kikilelwa Camp (spelled K ikelelwa without the space, but FT doesn’t like that camp for some reason ☺, so I’ll just type it Kikilelwa). Our hike today mostly concluded our time in the Rainforest climate zone and we began to see the Heather and Moorland zones that would consume the next few days. There were also a few more inclines today, but nothing too challenging for our short distance. By 10:30 we had arrived, even before the porters, whoops.

Last of the Rainforest Zone

Mawenzi off in the distance, our home in two nights

Entering the Heather Zone

No more hiding behind trees

A real incline

First Cave, along the trail

Home, but where are our tents!

Since it would still be a bit until our gear was erected and more importantly lunch (we only ate 3 hours ago!) we sat around for a bit and relaxed. Eventually the tents were up and lunch was prepared. Thankfully I can check fried bread sandwiches off my bucket list. It came along with soup, fruit and fried bananas.

Second Cave Camp

Bathroom downgrade

And here come the porters

Setting up the kitchen/porter hostel

Cue daily afternoon clouds

Soup

Fried bread and bananas

Mango

After lunch, you guessed it, we relaxed a bit more. Each afternoon to help pass the time and acclimatize, we took short hikes around camp. Today’s was about two miles and passed the second cave and overlooked the valley.

John taking a nap, while Samuel took us out exploring

Private campsite again

Second Cave

Nothing too exciting

Our biggest climbs yet

Afternoon clouds in full force

Porter wisdom: ”There is a tall mountain behind that cloud.”

A nice walk without the sun beating down on us, and we returned just in time for tea! With popcorn of course. And yes, dinner followed with chicken, rice, vegetables, fruit all under candlelight. With the sun behind Kilimanjaro, it quickly began to cool off and we headed off to sleep early. The stars looked stunning when nature called at 1:00 so I snapped a few photos but it was far too cold for a t-shirt so I quickly fled to the comforts of my sleeping bag for some shut eye.

Who’s hungry?

Obviously the birds

Tonight’s soup

Chicken and rice

Eat your veggies

Fruit under our baked bean candelabra

One of our more romantic dinners

About 8,000 feet up, hikers are beginning their overnight ascent under the stars

Today’s Data
Distance: 3.64 mi, 5.86 km
Time 2:29:30
Camp Elevation: 11318', 3450m
Daily Elevation Change: +2773', +845m
Average Pace: 41:05 min/mile

Hike to Second Cave Camp

Overall Progress
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:31 pm

Awesome trip report!
Old May 2, 2016, 10:53 am

Thank you for the trip report!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:21 am

Love these reports b/c this is something I would never do.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Kilimanjaro (Day 3 – Kikilewa Camp)

Well rested, we arose to another pleasant sunrise and quickly packed our bags and washed up before sitting down to a mirror image of yesterday’s breakfast. (Noticing a trend here)

Good morning Africa

Morning “shower”

Fruit

I’m starting to think it is cheese

Porridge

And the rest of the assortment

Today’s hiking seemed a bit counter intuitive due to walking the majority of the day with Kilimanjaro at our back. We had to go around to meet up with the saddle two days later. What it did provide however were some stunning views of Mawenzi, although nothing compared to tomorrow.

And off we go

Mawenzi was today’s main sight

So long Kili. At least for the next two days

Still some color in the terrain

But definitely drying out

Porters caught up a bit sooner today

Clouds rolling in rather early

Walking on cloud nine

Pointless cave detour to likely give the porters a bit more of a lead

Dendrosenecio kilimanjari

Nearing Kikilelwa

Treacherous bridge crossing

Getting to Kikilelwa was just a walk in the park

Our next few hours

Once settled in we waited for lunch under pretty heave cloud cover. I think we were served fried chicken and fried dough. Soon after it began to hail so we took cover in the tent until it cleared and could have a snack.

Soup

Fried sampler

Watermelon

Pea sized hail

Porters dug moats around each tent for this reason

No popcorn today?!

With lunch, hail and our snack out of the way we went for a bit of a acclimatization hike. Not too far (less than a mile) nor difficult, but I think this was inspired by the destination being capable of receiving cell service. Needless to say the entire crew joined along today. We got to give dad a call and confirm he was getting better. Also found out he was able to plan a day trip to see some sites around Moshi.

Not so luxurious ranger’s station

Kilimanjaro phone booth

Checking work emails, now that’s dedication

Farther along the trail

Our porter going down to get some fresh cold water

Back at camp, the clouds and cold began to roll back in so we killed some time with a quick game of monopoly on the phone. I say quick because my brother didn’t realize why I was buying one of every color property and putting motels on my only monopoly. I suppose he slept though economics. Eventually dinner was ready and we enjoyed the chewy beef stew again, along with some macaroni. I don’t think the sun had fully set and I was snugly wrapped up in my sleeping bag, ready for an even shorter hike tomorrow.

Welcome back clouds

Peeking in the kitchen

Where the porters live

Afternoon entertainment

Took a break from the hot chocolate and went with the tea

Soup de jour II

Just the beginning of the carbs

Pasta and a cabbage of sorts

Chewy beef stew

Fruit for dessert

See you tomorrow Mawenzi

Today’s Data
Distance: 3.78 mi, 6.08 km
Time 2:18:20
Camp Elevation: 11811’, 3600m
Daily Elevation Change: +859’, +262m
Average Pace: 36:33 min/mile

Hike to Kikilelwa Camp

Overall Progress

Last edited by rivlinm; May 2, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Awesome trip report!
Originally Posted by de13
Thank you for the trip report!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Love these reports b/c this is something I would never do.
But you should!! Glad you are enjoying, nonetheless.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Kilimanjaro (Day 4 – Mawenzi Tarn Camp)

Woke up to another marvelous sunrise, which thankfully began to warm things up. Another standard Kilimanjaro style breakfast was followed by our shortest hike yet. We finally started to gain some real elevation, especially on our afternoon side hike.

Warming up

Just barely peaking out

Hardly made a dent in the porridge today

The morning feast

I don’t think we even touched the fruit

A fresh dusting overnight

Camp above the clouds

Today’s target, Mawenzi

And off we go

Thistle of some sort

Looking backwards

Clouds stuck in the valley between us and camp

Actually gaining elevation

Back within full sight

The clouds were moving in quick as we neared Mawenzi Tarn Camp

Now you see me…

..Now you don’t

Hopefully not tonight’s water source

No fancy sign today

Signing in

Just about two hours later we made it to the base of Mawenzi. A few brave folks have been able to climb its peak over the years, but no one recently. Its hardened lava surface is too brittle and easily crumbles. The Park has now banned climbing it.

While the remainder of the porters trickled in and finished setting up camp we cleaned up and took in the breathtaking view as the clouds swept past the towering summit of Mawenzi. Lunch, a totally new menu, was served just before it began to sleet again. As the weather cleared we were surprised with a double snack to fuel us for our acclimatization hike.

Setting up the dining tent

Last of the gear coming in

A three holer

There must be water somewhere

We see who drew the short straw today

Chicken and chips

Tomato soup

Fresh pineapple

Hail in a cloud

Nuts and popcorn today

The clouds lingered after leaving a healthy pile of hail on the mountain

Today’s side hike was the best as far as views go. We started by walking toward the base of Mawenzi and then made our way around to a ridge with stunning views of the basin. That was a new high elevation for me. Hope the next 5,000+ feet are no tougher.

Camp

At the base

Hiking up to the ridge that overlooks the saddle

Camp way down below

Ridge to Mawenzi

John is happy we made it

That weather sure does change fast

Headed back down for dinner

It looks much cleaner up close

Global warming does exist!

Such a beautiful mountain

The trail in to camp

Taking a break in the kitchen

Samuel spent his spare time polishing his kicks

Dinner of rice and green beans was served and it began to get cold as the sun set beyond the ridge, so we quickly ate and settled in for the night just after 18:30.

Cucumber soup

Simple but delicious

Rice and beans

Vegetable stew

Fruit for dessert again

Today’s Data
Distance: 2.47 mi, 3.98 km
Time 2:06:40
Camp Elevation: 14200’, 4328m
Daily Elevation Change: +2096’, +638m
Average Pace: 51:17 min/mile

Hike to Mawenzi Tarn Camp

Overall Progress
Old May 3, 2016, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Kilimanjaro (Day 5 – Kibo Hut Camp)

Woke up to an awfully cold morning on our last normal day of the trek. Summit day and descent day would have vastly different agendas. Overnight quite a bit of cold white substances had fallen from the sky blanketing the top 1000 feet of Kilimanjaro as we would soon discover. We enjoyed the standard breakfast, with some bonus cheese, and headed off down the trail. A bit longer in distance, today’s trek was unique in that after we reached the first ridge (that we climbed yesterday afternoon) we would see our final destination in the distance as we crossed the saddle from Mawenzi to Kibo Hut.

Frost on the tent wall

Mini ice rink

Malaria and altitude meds to kick off breakfast

Watermelon

Same breakfast, different day

A bit of frost on Mawenzi as we began our hike

A real white cap as we are finally walking toward Kili again

At two points along the way we found two curiously located bits of wreckage from a small plane. John told us five years ago a few Italians in low visibility crashed and perished. According to the internet, the Cessna 206 (5YAOO) belonging to East African Air Charters out of Nairobi crashed into the peak of Mawenzi in 2008. Four Italians were killed and the pilot miraculously survived. I suspect the wreckage was relocated along the trail at some point.

First trace of wreckage

Clear path ahead with a shelter at Kibo Hut in the distance

Minimal vegetation remains

Remainder of the wreckage

Empty fuselage

Cessna wing

Located just 5 feet from the trail, hmmm…

Last vegetation?

Looking back and racing the clouds

Lugging water for the highest camp

Less than a mile from Kibo Hut we were instructed to stop for a snack. The few porters who had been walking at our pace lucked out and got to enjoy too. One perk (to some) of the Rongai route is its privacy. That privilege would soon conclude as at Kibo we joined forces with the cabin dwellers on the “coca cola” Marangu route. We had gone five days without any outside encounters besides the rangers, but as we neared Kibo, we sensed Disney. As we dropped our bags an Irishman was heading out after a successful but long journey to Uhuru Peak. He didn’t seem very prepared and said it was the most difficult thing he has ever done. Only time will tell… Not really hungry, a common side effect of the high altitude, (or maybe all we had done was eat) we settled in for lunch, which consisted of some hard boiled eggs, fried toast sandwiches, soup and fruit. I tried to sleep before our scheduled afternoon hike, but it just wasn’t in the cards.

With camp within reach, snack time

Almost there, tomorrow doesn’t look so bad

Preview of the scree run up top

Six hours away!

Camp

Huts for the Marangu treckers

Leek soup

Hardboiled eggs

Fried bread sandwiches

Fresh fruit on day five

Failed nap time setup

In addition to not being able to sleep, we ended up not doing a side hike today. So much for keeping entertained I suppose. Tomorrow’s summit attempt was scheduled to begin at midnight with “breakfast” at 23:30 so we had an early dinner tonight. I think they wanted us to eat some carbs. It was pretty appetizing though.

Soup

Carbs

And even more carbs

Bean stew

When in Tanzania…

Some unappealing citrus

At 18:00 with a full belly it was time to try and sleep. I was rather sleepless for most of the night and eventually dozed off about 21:30 so I wouldn’t be climbing tomorrow on a good night’s rest. Knowing we would be hiking for the first six hours in pitch dark and temperatures possibly below freezing I pretty much put on ALL of my layers besides my coat so I could wake up, climb out of the bag and put on my boots.

Cloud wall rolling in just in time for bed

Today’s Data
Distance: 5.16 mi, 8.3 km
Time 3:07:20
Camp Elevation: 15485’, 4720m
Daily Elevation Change: +1827, +557m
Average Pace: 36:15 min/mile

Hike to Kibo Hut

Overall Progress
Old May 4, 2016, 1:39 am

I'm impressed by the meals, especially the distance they have travelled up the mountain on someone's back. Perfect fuel for all that hiking.

Did you have any issues with the altitiude? I guess just alot of panting?

Looking forward to the views from the top.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:25 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Fantastic photos, I'd never been on that route but now feel as though I have. The term looked idyllic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.