FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   Escaping to the Southern Hemisphere: A Bora Bora Getaway (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1755830-escaping-southern-hemisphere-bora-bora-getaway.html)

GreatBritishBAECOff Apr 12, 2016 7:49 am

Amazing pictures Chongl, we're off on our Honeymoon soon and I have a rudimentary understanding of photography that extends to tweaking aperture, exposure etc. I've bought an RX100 iii to take with us but am nervous that my lack of ability will adversely affect the photos we end up with. Are most of your photos heavily edited when you get home, or are the settings just perfect?...

Evgeniy Apr 12, 2016 8:54 am

Thenks foк cool pics, i was there to

chongl Apr 12, 2016 10:54 am

Originally Posted by stingray072 (Post 26473240)
wow-amazing pictures

What camera / lenses?

Thank you! I was using a Canon 6D with 24-70mm f/2.8L II and a rented 16-35mm f/4L IS.

Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 26473625)
Really fabulous photos of a truly stunning place. And yet... despite the glorious tropical water and gorgeous setting, I think I'd go nuts feeling so tied to the resort (especially where everything is so expensive). And there's only so many 'cultural immersion activities' I could be subjected to.

Did you feel there was enough to do, or did you also feel a little confined? (Of all the things you did, the scooter around the island had the most appeal for me.)

Also, I'd be curious to know if you spent much time on or under the water. Bora Bora always looks so amazing in the photos but how are the coral and beaches?

For me, I could stare at the view from the deck all day, so I didn't feel confined. However, my favorite day by far was when we did the jet ski tour and rode the scooter around the island. There are many expensive activities you can book too like a helicopter tour or shark feedings, which we did none of (I guess I did the more boring version of things :)). Also, this vacation was a stark contrast to the last where we drove 1500 miles around Europe cramming in everything we could, so we didn't mind being able to sit back and truly "recharge" this time around.

For the water, I mostly stayed in the lagoon of the resort and didn't venture out much. I'm not much of a water person anymore after swimming competitively for many years :o

Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff (Post 26473834)
Amazing pictures Chongl, we're off on our Honeymoon soon and I have a rudimentary understanding of photography that extends to tweaking aperture, exposure etc. I've bought an RX100 iii to take with us but am nervous that my lack of ability will adversely affect the photos we end up with. Are most of your photos heavily edited when you get home, or are the settings just perfect?...

The RX100 III is an amazing camera. I used it quite a bit when I had one and it's great for its image quality while being portable and discreet. You could likely leave it on 'P' and get great results. I mostly just mess with the coloring and sharpness and don't know any of the fancier tricks that some of my pro friends use, but that's good enough for me. Remember to shoot in RAW and you'll have much more leeway in post-processing.

Memory is cheap, so use different compositions and snap away. Rather have the shot you wanted when you dig through than wish you had tried a few more (although I still come away with that feeling).

mgobluetex Apr 12, 2016 10:56 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 26473625)
Really fabulous photos of a truly stunning place. And yet... despite the glorious tropical water and gorgeous setting, I think I'd go nuts feeling so tied to the resort (especially where everything is so expensive). And there's only so many 'cultural immersion activities' I could be subjected to.

Did you feel there was enough to do, or did you also feel a little confined? (Of all the things you did, the scooter around the island had the most appeal for me.)

Also, I'd be curious to know if you spent much time on or under the water. Bora Bora always looks so amazing in the photos but how are the coral and beaches?

We spent our honeymoon in BB a few years back and your concerns of being "locked" to the resort are valid. Bora Bora can get pretty boring but for some reason laying out on the sun deck looking at the beautiful hues of blue makes things easier. If I were to give an suggestion it would be to spend a few nights on Moorea and a few nights on Bora Bora. Moorea is a much bigger island with a lot more things to do and it has a different feel to it as well.

bmrisko Apr 13, 2016 6:43 am

Originally Posted by mgobluetex (Post 26474887)
We spent our honeymoon in BB a few years back and your concerns of being "locked" to the resort are valid. Bora Bora can get pretty boring but for some reason laying out on the sun deck looking at the beautiful hues of blue makes things easier. If I were to give an suggestion it would be to spend a few nights on Moorea and a few nights on Bora Bora. Moorea is a much bigger island with a lot more things to do and it has a different feel to it as well.

Agreed...we did 4 nights on Moorea (Hilton) and 4 nights BB, split 1 at Le Moana and 3 at Thalasso. Honestly, we somewhat preferred Moorea to BB...

mgobluetex Apr 13, 2016 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 26478547)
Agreed...we did 4 nights on Moorea (Hilton) and 4 nights BB, split 1 at Le Moana and 3 at Thalasso. Honestly, we somewhat preferred Moorea to BB...

We spent 3 on BB and 3 on Moorea. I preferred Moorea as well. It's so beautiful and there is a lot more going on. With that being said, you can't beat the view of the Thalasso!

alanslegal Aug 15, 2016 9:50 pm

A bit too late to the party but very nice report :) Really enjoyed the pictures! Can't wait to get there - will be there in exactly two months time!