A Tale of Two Islands - SQ Suites, TG F/J - Conrad Koh Samui and Wreck Diving

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Tale of Two Islands - SQ Suites, TG F/J - Conrad Koh Samui and Wreck Diving

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What an utterly indulgent, luxurious and stunning trip report Jermyn! Fantastic.

The Conrad KS looks amazing. I've been to KS once and stayed at the Le Meriden. Not quite the same! It has the same beach issues as the Conrad though.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by matthandy
What an utterly indulgent, luxurious and stunning trip report Jermyn! Fantastic.

The Conrad KS looks amazing. I've been to KS once and stayed at the Le Meriden. Not quite the same! It has the same beach issues as the Conrad though.
Thanks matthandy, I was inspired to stop procrastinating in no small part by the recent resumption of your 'unfinished symphony'

I figured if you could come back to that TR after such a long hiatus the least I could do is crank out a few more segments of my own!

To wit: the penultimate segment
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Thanks matthandy, I was inspired to stop procrastinating in no small part by the recent resumption of your 'unfinished symphony'
^
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Jermyn you have only gone and bloody done it again. Yes I have Sunday night blues thanks to 20 days out of the office but boy I am already looking at flights out East to work this into our 2016 holiday plans before a little one arrives in our lives.

Would love to have a drink or two up in CW or the City (depending where your place of work is) one evening and to get some CKS tips.

Best.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Pleb Status: AA, BA, EK, EY, QR
Originally Posted by Jermyn
The brutalist airport terminal is certainly pretty dated and actually reminds me of a building that I grew up with. The Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth.

When you see where I grew up, I guess it makes sense that I decided to GTFO and see the world
Ain't nothing wrong with Portsmouth mate!

Can't wait for my little trip to CKS in June, althoug it's only for one night.Hopefully we can squeeze in that little boat trip prior to check-in/post check-out...!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:41 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

The report is now finished!

^
I see you posted another segment too. Awesome!

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Jermyn you have only gone and bloody done it again. Yes I have Sunday night blues thanks to 20 days out of the office but boy I am already looking at flights out East to work this into our 2016 holiday plans before a little one arrives in our lives.

Would love to have a drink or two up in CW or the City (depending where your place of work is) one evening and to get some CKS tips.

Best.
Thanks PoincianaKings! You definitely need to maximise your travel before PK Junior comes along (any excuse right?)

I just recommended the EY J fare from MXP to SIN, to some friends. They are using it for a trip to BKK. comes out at around Ł1000 including all connecting flights. There's a discount code floating around on the premium fare deals forum.

Shoot me a PM and we'll organise something. I may well make it to the London Do too.

Originally Posted by FTN1898
Ain't nothing wrong with Portsmouth mate!

Can't wait for my little trip to CKS in June, although it's only for one night.Hopefully we can squeeze in that little boat trip prior to check-in/post check-out...!
Haha, it builds character if nothing else
I just ordered the book Pompey by Jonathan Meades as my Conrad Rangali reading. Bringing a different shade of blue to the Maldives

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, especially now that you know the tricks FTN1898! I was wondering what your FT handle was...
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:39 pm

Thanks for taking us onto this great trip!

I'm afraid on the flight details BKK-LHR you accidentaly put in the Economy Class Seats from the USM-BKK flight.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:03 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Fantastic report as always. Thanks Jermyn.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:07 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ctrlf
Thanks for taking us onto this great trip!

I'm afraid on the flight details BKK-LHR you accidentaly put in the Economy Class Seats from the USM-BKK flight.
Thanks ctrlf! I've fixed the typo now ^

Originally Posted by rxfleming
Fantastic report as always. Thanks Jermyn.
Thanks rxfleming
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:29 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Great TR, @Jermyn, thanks for sharing! It's definitely the first time a TR is making me aspire to stay at a Hilton property.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Took the words out of my keyboard.

The Conrad looks completely awesome. Maybe when I have a ridiculously good looking girlfriend I'll find the 6 figures of Hilton points to get a stay there.

The Manila airport is confusing though. Not sure what terminal TG uses, but a couple of the terminals are complete dumps. When I was there last year, I was in a lounge where the nearest bathroom didn't have running water, it had barrels of water for you to scoop water out of to wash your hands. The new terminal however, that SQ uses, is very nice.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Great report and pictures Jermyn

I agree with about TG, I think the F lounge is overrated but I have a soft spot for TG F in the air.

I believe the only time I have ever had caviar is on planes in F and I kind of like it that way. It is one of those special only for First class items I really enjoy.

I will enjoy another 3 times in the next 6 weeks.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: AH Platinum, Hh Diamond, BW Diamond
nice TR Jermyn

is it possible to dine as couple in TG 747 F? just like what u did in SQ Suite?
I was managed to fly TG 747F BKK - MUC on July, return CDG-BKK with TG A380 F, hopefully there will be no negative surprise
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Jermyn I have just caught up on the ending of your great report. I went looking for it after seeing your new NYC TR.

The Conrad looks exceptional, certainly better than Dublin!

I'm blaming this for my AMEX taking a hit in the BA sale, been looking at First to Hong Kong all weekend and your report convinced me I need another Asia fix!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by helvetic
Great TR, @Jermyn, thanks for sharing! It's definitely the first time a TR is making me aspire to stay at a Hilton property.
Haha, thanks helvetic. We're off to the Conrad Maldives next, I'm guessing that TR will have much the same effect

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Took the words out of my keyboard.

The Conrad looks completely awesome. Maybe when I have a ridiculously good looking girlfriend I'll find the 6 figures of Hilton points to get a stay there.

The Manila airport is confusing though. Not sure what terminal TG uses, but a couple of the terminals are complete dumps. When I was there last year, I was in a lounge where the nearest bathroom didn't have running water, it had barrels of water for you to scoop water out of to wash your hands. The new terminal however, that SQ uses, is very nice.
You made K blush krazykanuck
Look into the Hilton Premium club Thailand. 6 figure points stashes are not necessary, believe me.

Yeah, I think we were in the new terminal but the lounges were running behind schedule. I would hope that now, nearly a year later, they are open.

Originally Posted by Moomba
Great report and pictures Jermyn

I agree with about TG, I think the F lounge is overrated but I have a soft spot for TG F in the air.

I believe the only time I have ever had caviar is on planes in F and I kind of like it that way. It is one of those special only for First class items I really enjoy.

I will enjoy another 3 times in the next 6 weeks.
Great minds think alike Moomba. 3 times in the next 6 weeks, I look forward to the ensuing TRs!

Unfortunately I have no caviar coming up, don't feel too bad though my next flight is in EY apartments.

Originally Posted by yenzaghi
nice TR Jermyn

is it possible to dine as couple in TG 747 F? just like what u did in SQ Suite?
I was managed to fly TG 747F BKK - MUC on July, return CDG-BKK with TG A380 F, hopefully there will be no negative surprise
Hi yenzaghi, yes it is possible although if you order the special set, you may find that you have to start placing plates on the sides to make room!

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Jermyn I have just caught up on the ending of your great report. I went looking for it after seeing your new NYC TR.

The Conrad looks exceptional, certainly better than Dublin!

I'm blaming this for my AMEX taking a hit in the BA sale, been looking at First to Hong Kong all weekend and your report convinced me I need another Asia fix!
Thanks for reading along DaveNCL! I must head back to your daunting and enormous TR, its been too long!

By the way, I think that you and I are on a Viking to JFK at the same time soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.