Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Around the Pacific: HK/Thailand/Oz in UA GF/BF & TG F

Around the Pacific: HK/Thailand/Oz in UA GF/BF & TG F

Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Hey for $4/each are you going to complain?
Wow! 4$!??! I would have bought one of each airline!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The Adina Apartment Hotel & Bondi Beach

I had stayed at The Adina this time last year, but in a normal studio room. When I booked the rate for a 1BR was enticing to have the bed off on its own and also a much, much larger balcony on the backside of the hotel off Hall Street.

It was big, comfortable, allowed me to have 4 friends over at once without sitting on top of each other. Kitchen area adequate to boil eggs and grill chicken breast.
Bonus when I snooped around and found that the unit has its own laundry!

Lucky for me (probably by checking in mid-week) the room was ready for me at 9am once I got there from SYD! Now I don't have to do the zombie walk for 5 or so hours.
Luckily I had already planned to meet a friend from Berlin for lunch just up the street at Bondi Picnic. I ate there about 3 times.

My first trip to Sydney I stayed in Wooloomooloo at The Blue (not a W I think) and also the Four Seasons Circular Quay. However, doing all the Sydney sightseeing that trip I have no reason to be near the CBD. So this trip and my one last year I pretty much didn't leave Bondi. I made people come meet me there.
The food, the people, the atmosphere makes me think about when I went to school in Santa Barbara or even parts of growing up in Monterey.

Pretty much every morning just 3 shops down from The Adina got a iced long black (Americano) from Bondi Hall. They also do breakfast like a great avo feta smash.

Porch & Parlour on the north end of the beach (North Bondi technically) also had a really great lunch.

I popped up to Bondi Junction to workout at Fitness First and also buy a 5 pass pack which I could use at any of them in Australia. The bus is easy enough since you more or less have two options to get to Bondi Junction and can buy a ticket on the bus, unless you are getting on at Bondi Junction. If alighting there you need to get a ticket from the machine.

Walked around the malls and stuff for a few minutes after working out. Nutrition Depot also had a good healthy breakfast menu.

I actually indulged twice from Ribs & Burgers which is in the same building as Adina and delivers. The Aussie Burger (I guess the beet root, ham, egg and mozarella makes it that?) was so good I ended up eating two during my stay.

In the age of hook up apps, it's still nice to know some people prefer the old fashioned way!

For the most part the weather was good. Rained a little the last day and was pretty windy the second day. In any event that was fine for me. I was ready for anything that wasn't 41C and dry Chiang Mai!

I'm a big fan of the hotel and I'm sure I'll be back to SYD next year and wouldn't hesitate booking The Adina for a 3rd time. Even if you wanted to do CBD stuff you can get there in like 45-50 min on the bus and if you wanted to go to Manly you can take a ferry on the trip just north of Bondi direct to Manly, you don't have to go into the CBD.
Last year I also went to Coogee Pavillion which is great as well.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

QANTAS Y SYD-BNE

This was actually my first time flying QF out of SYD. On my past trips I had flown Virgin to BNE and then QF from BNE-MEL. So at least I got to check out a different terminal.
Pretty slow Monday at the airport.

Bag tagging was easy. Even though one of my bags was 1.3 kg over the limit it didn't charge me. My other small duffel presented some trouble. It needed to go in a tray but the screen prompt at the belt wouldn't progress past that so needed wait 2 min for an agent to finish helping someone else.

I managed to get the last breakfast item from Cafe Nero or Bistro Roma or whatever the hell its called. The lady made it seem like she was doing me such a favor at 10:30 for letting me order item off the menu that ends at 10:30. Way too much salt.

Poked around for a bit.

Seconds before this a 2nd UA Dreamliner took off in between its sister and the SQ 50th Anniv A380 livery. I will say it's sad not seeing the UA 747s at SYD. I feel they don't stand out now when next to the other big boys.

Quick to board. Always the fear that my 10kg backpack is going to get weighed for the 7kg limit. It's not big, it's just dense with camera gear.

A hot lunch snack.

I didn't open or use the cutlery pack but pissed me off the FAs threw it away instead of saving it to re-use.

Nice at BNE you deplane from both ends. If you're in the middle it's kind of a draw.

Got to peep a vintage livery on the way to bags. IIRC I saw the same livery in this spot either coming/going from BNE last year at this time.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Brisbane & The Docks on Goodwin, Kangaroo Point

This is my 3rd trip to Brisbane and 2nd time staying at The Docks on Kangaroo Point. The first time I had stayed in the CDB at one of the Oaks branded serviced apts. I like that KP is quiet, The Docks are clean and comfortable with a nice pool and parking. You can get to South Bank, CBD, Fortitude Valley in no time.

This is the 1BR+ which includes a separate room/alcove. There's a 2 burner stove, oven, microwave, full fridge and washer/dryer in the unit.

You can cross the river to the CBD for $4.80 for a 2 hour ticket or the CityHopper was free the times I took it, not sure if that is normal or just a special thing since it was ANZAC weekend.

It was great to hop across to the Fitness First 300m away from the pier.
Packed on the evenings when the office jobs let out, but midday was fine.

There's not a lot of food on Kangaroo Point. There's The Story Bridge Hotel, Main Street, Mitoki, a "NY style" pizza by the slice and a clam shack.

I really like Mitoki which is Japanese tapas, sushi and noodles. You order as you'd like by iPad at the table.

Seared waygu

There's a Cole's 4 min drive down the road or a Woolworth's 10 min away so I did some eating at home. Main Street attached (part of?) The Story Bridge Hotel is open at 6:30am for breakfast. At there last year, pretty decent...just got coffees this trip.

You know you're in Australia when...

Have to say the weather was pretty good while I was in town!

I misjudged my time and ended up with an extra full day in Bris with not much to do so I decided to go back out to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary again. I had gone in Dec 2013 for my first trip. Only about a 20 min drive from the CBD. $35AUD admission for adults. The koala's aren't bad...you pretty much have to pay $20 for a photo to hold one. I go there because you can get in the big open field and feed the kangaroos!

I also did some preliminary car shopping for when I'm back in California. I didn't ask for a test drive and frankly I told the salesman I was just looking at things in person I was obviously not buying a car in Australia. He then doubted my ability to drive in Australia and even test drive one (which I did not ask to do). I nearly wanted to do the Pretty Woman on Rodeo Drive scene.

Looking up movies I came across New Farm Cinemas which was a lovely and independent theatre.

They serve beer and wine, have a nice lounge area. The theaters also have bean bag chairs if you don't want to sit in a normal seat.

On Brunswick Street so lots of pre/post film dining.

Day before I left I went down to Gold Coast to meet up with a friend who was in town from Perth.
It was my first time in GC, I had driven through on my way to Byron Bay but never stopped in.

Started in Miami to go to the gym with him and then we went down to Burleigh Heads to have breakfast. Came across Paleo Cafe.

I don't give a rat's a** about the paleo diet and or any of that made up gluten sensitivity crud but I'll certainly enjoy most of the food they make!
Avo smash with cashew nut "feta" and smoked salmon on GF bread(eyeroll).

Not creme burlee..a great turmeric/cinnamon/ginger almond latte.

On the way back stopped in Surfer's Paradise for a bit.

Walked around for a bit until they told me it wasn't a nude beach.

I wasn't impressed. I've never been to Daytona Beach and the like but I feel I would get the same vibe. Not that it was dodgy...just, bleh.

Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jvphoto
walked around for a bit until they told me it wasn't a nude beach.
hahahahahahahahaha
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Nice pics of Brisbane - its interesting seeing a different perceptive on places I see everyday.

Btw if your after a a nice gym here Goodlife in the Wintergarden (in the mall) is better than Fitness First. FF haven't been doing too well here and some have shut down.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Australia BNE-MEL

My 3rd trip to this coast and 2nd time flying this leg. The first trip here I road tripped down between Brisbane and Melbourne stopping for 1-3 nights in Byron Bay, Port Macquarie, Avoca Beach & Wagga Wagga. I switched it up to fly Virgin this time instead of Qantas.

Flying with no status....

Hello...is it me you're looking for?

I actually tried to time it so I didn't have to spend too much time in the dumpy airport.

A decent hand roll place.

Followed by a coffee and an on-time boarding it wasn't all that bad.

After the funny smirk in realizing one of the FAs had been courting me on a "social friend finder" app the evening before it was time to settle in. I booked (and want to say paid a little extra) to sit in the 2nd row of the exit rows for more leg room with recline.
Was worth it as we also had an open middle seat.

One pass through with drinks and then the snack of the granola bar. Not sure if the Aus airlines have differentiating Y snack times but the Qantas hot sandwich was nicer on the 1h flight SYD-BNE.

No priority tags and 2 bags meant one came out in the first minute of the belt turning on and the 2nd being one of the last to come out.

If only there was some *A benefit intra-Aus!
Old May 1, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Melbourne & The Art Series: Blackman

I stayed at The Blackman this time last year. I like St. Kilda so this is close enough and the rooms are a good size and comfortable plus there's no real reason I go to the CBD.

On the drive from the airport I got to see my favorite Aussie business!

Last year I stayed in one of the regular king rooms which was about 25% smaller than this. I booked a king jr. suite this time which has a larger balcony (with table chairs) and the bed sits off on its own alcove behind a curtain.

The carpets need a cleaning!!

There is a car park below. Thanks to Hertz President's Circle I got upgraded from a Yaris to a Camry which made it hard to park on the weekend when the hotel was full with a wedding as well. Sunday afternoon and Monday night it cleared out.

In the lobby there is an Italian restaurant I've never been to (it does room service as well) as well as a coffee shop Depot du Pain that has some hot items and pre-made sandwiches and salads.

Breakfast on the balcony. Nice crisp morning...I was getting sick of the heat in Chiang Mai.

As I said I enjoy St. Kilda so I went down one night to meet a friend at eat at Ichi Ni Izakaya which I've been to every trip.

I went back down on Monday night which was a mistake given it was ANZAC Day so everything was packed and got 2 polite brush offs for a table for one...I really wanted to go to Soul Sister's (or something like that) veg cafe on the first corner but no luck.
Opted for another solo Nando's take out night.

I also got to witness this for the first time ever. Someone offering window washes at a stop light...just like in the movies!

My first trip to Australia I was in Melbourne for almost 2 weeks (including Mt. Eliza/Mornington) but now I barely stay for 2-3 nights. One of my best friends is from here but now lives in France. I can usually find R inventory space on UA to confirm my Coach to Biz upgrade at booking on MEL-LAX.

Aside from hanging out with a few ridiculously good looking friends...

...and not realizing this was a hospital and not a helicopter crash...

...I don't do a whole lot while I'm here. Sort of the same routine. Go up to Fitzroy because I wanted to eat at Veggie Cafe but it was packed as well on the weekend. So went a block away to Spudz Cafe for a baked sweet potato loaded up with some goodness!

Another spot I've been to each time for breakfast is Dead Man Espresso in South Melbourne.

Not today Satan.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:31 am
Original Poster

CX & NZ Lounge MEL, United BusinessFirst 787 MEL-LAX, United Club LAX & CRJ200 LAX-MRY

Not my longest of travel days (that would have been JFK-NRT-BKK-PER) but up early to avoid any stress in the morning. I recall last year there being some weird traffic in the morning not in the city but close to Tullamarine. Today there was some of that traffic out there and a 4 car pile up which resulted in a +20-25min on Google Maps.

Luckily it got me off at the next exit on a side road that connected to Airport Blvd that shot me into the one gas station on airport so I could fill up then circle back and drop it off.

With the little traffic, gas and travel I left The Blackman at about 6:10 and I was dumping off my bag an hour later. There was one rep going around having people put things in the carry on sizers which did not happy make the few people who had giant camping style backpacks. I was in compliance, flying biz (not that it's any additional allowance but my thought is there's typically more overhead space) with a backpack and a duffle carry on but did my best to shift it from side to side as she would walk around.

The express card was kind of useless. When I got to security they were funneling people from the normal line into the express lane. There was no express lane open for exit passport control.

At check-in was directed to the Cathay Pacific lounge now that United closed the club in MEL. No invitation, the agent just scans your BP and mentioned they would make a boarding announcement.

10-12 min after I arrived the CX flight was called so it cleared out with mostly just some UA people left.

The place was kind of dumpy and not what I expect for a CX lounge. I actually liked the old UC better...it had a wonderful breakfast and while not any more fancy in terms of decor it had a more pleasant feeling.

After 30 min I decided to go check out the Air NZ lounge. After 2 min of staring and double looks I confirmed the gent in the far left of the photo getting a drink was NOT Ricky Gervais.

Much nicer food and atmosphere than the CX lounge...but I get UA must send people there given that it'll clear out after the CX flight and not swarm the already busy NZ one. Better food and some hot ruby fellas!

I went up top to buy some bottled water and spend the last 30AUD cash I had on gifts for my baby nephew and then took a seat at boarding T-10.

The same agent at check-in who was sizing people was also doing it at the gate. After seeing my BP she asked if the lounge had called us up. I said that I was out spending my last $ buying gifts for my nephew and that little bit of banter she signed off on my passport and BP...and then made the two guys behind me put their rollers in the sizer. Being friendly helps avoid any issues more than a DYKWIA possibly could.

Now on the amenity kits they have two post cards that you tear off to open it. Nice vintage photos...the new Cowshed kits are nice but nothing special to me.

Seat map was showing the seat next to me open! In fact maybe about 30% open in J. Then someone came and plopped their butt down. 2 min later the purser came up and apologized about their seat confusion and said they could move back to row 5 where they previously were.
Doors closed and I now had all the arms length storage I could need for 14 hours.

It's UA so don't expect anything new or exciting (for the UA FF'ers).

The purser came throw and acted like a lap dog to the GS and his wife across from me...but no other FF'ers or anyone got a personal thank you or interaction from him.

Good cold appetizer.

I'm not a fan of peppers...nor am I of tomatoes (unless in a salsa or pasta sauce) so this was just me picking out the bits of lettuce.

I thought it was (dry-ish) salmon, maybe it's a type of pinkish trout...it was pretty good. Also, I thought this was pearl barely (someone said it was Israeli cous cous). I was happy because I am not a fan of the small mealy couscous most are familar with. The beans were also great with a crunchy snap to them. I'd go for this dish again.

I asked for one piece of cheese because I wanted one piece of cheese...

The left hand mid-J cabin bathroom is big and has an extra fold out chair so it's perfect to get changed in.

And a valium later...

The meats were okay, the eggs were fine...but the salsa was AMAZING. I would have bought a jar of it!

Flying over Catalina approaching LAX.

I had booked this as two tickets. Originally I was going to stay in LA for 3 days to see a friend but I was really itchy to get back home so he's coming up to hang out in Monterey later this month instead.
With that I didn't even bother to have them tag the back MEL-LAX-MRY since I had to reclaim it. Global Entry was a breeze and I only had to wait about 3-5 min for my bag to come off and was back in the crisp air walking to T7 to re-tag and check my bag for MRY which still gave me about 1:45 min until boarding.
I went into the unremarkable under construction club and caught up on the season premiere of GoT and had 8 halves of hard boiled eggs and 3 cups of Illy.

Made my way over to T8 to go to Coffee Bean to get a breakfast sandwich and was happy that they sold Lenny & Larry's...these things are so good.

MRY does have some military presence...not that I care one way or the other just an observation but the scrip the FA called was "uniformed" military of which 1 of the 3 actually were. I've never seen more than myself or 2 other people boarding during G1 in/out of MRY.
Unlucky to be on a CRJ200 but lucky that it was half full so I had the seat next to me free for the 10 min taxi + 45 min flight.

Finished watching a movie I rented on iTunes called "The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young" which is a pretty interesting story for anyone interested in long distance/endurance races or odd ball adventures.

Wave to the fam as we flew over our houses...

And a few minutes later touch down in MRY happy to be home and feel the cool sea air.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Such fantastic trip reports, as always. I always consider them a treat to read.

Your time in Bondi made me finally feel like your spirit animal - my sister and nephew/niece live in Coogee, and I do as you did now and stay in Bondi rather than the CBD. Bondi Hall is my STAPLE, so glad you discovered and enjoyed several times. As well as a Nandos fix teamed with a crisp Sauv Blanc from a bottle shop.

Thanks for broadening horizons with a few extra tips for a seasoned SYD/MEL traveler. Safe (ongoing) travels.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Fantastic trip and photos. I would love to try out Thai's First Class some day - but only on a longer flight such as BKK-SYD. Now - after reading this report, you've got me hungry and planning to have a bowl of Mussaman Curry at one of our 13 Thai restaurants here in Alaska's Interior. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this report. ^^
Old May 17, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greenpau
Such fantastic trip reports, as always. I always consider them a treat to read.

Your time in Bondi made me finally feel like your spirit animal - my sister and nephew/niece live in Coogee, and I do as you did now and stay in Bondi rather than the CBD. Bondi Hall is my STAPLE, so glad you discovered and enjoyed several times. As well as a Nandos fix teamed with a crisp Sauv Blanc from a bottle shop.

Thanks for broadening horizons with a few extra tips for a seasoned SYD/MEL traveler. Safe (ongoing) travels.
I could so go for an avo feta smash from Bondi Hall or Bondi Picnic right now. Granted I'm 100ft away from one of our avocado orchards right now...but it's just not the same!

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Fantastic trip and photos. I would love to try out Thai's First Class some day - but only on a longer flight such as BKK-SYD. Now - after reading this report, you've got me hungry and planning to have a bowl of Mussaman Curry at one of our 13 Thai restaurants here in Alaska's Interior. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this report. ^^
The TG F ground service ex-BKK makes it "worth" it even on flights like BKK-NRT/KIX. Even flying to HKG you still get the same level of service, but the cabin experience to SYD or EU is great. I've done the A380 NRT/HKG/KIX and 747 SYD. I love the A380 cabin but if you want a bit more "night time" privacy the 747 with the higher walls around the seats gives a bit more sense of privacy. The daytime "open air" feel on the A380 is wonderful.
I've had TG F purser remember me 3 months between flights and one time I woke up when I passed out half reclined covered up with a blanket. Some people complain about lackadaisical crews but I've found TG to be the most warm in my experience (they all seem to get a kick out of a sentence forming farang who knows more than the typical 5 Thai tourist words).

Enjoy your masamaam I'm craving khao soi!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
lol - the VA crew rest location is just a block away from where you were staying in BNE

White Ladies - my husband in in the funeral business (small family owned company) and we call them the "cold .....es"

White Ladies have great PR but most clients find them very cold, disorganised and not what they say they are.

They are part of Invacare (big US company) who have bought up all the little family based companies - trade under that name etc.

They are certainly not empathic for a family that is grieving.

Their white suits and purple hat's, scarves and gloves do look nice - but when you are saying goodbye to a loved one - you need more than just image

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.