Wiki Posts
Search

United GlobalFirst SFO-LHR-LAX + Budapest & Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
United GlobalFirst SFO-LHR-LAX + Budapest & Berlin

Greetings! Just had time to do some laundry, find what winter clothes I still had left from NY, determine which suitcase I was taking and pack things up between getting back from Telluride and heading to Europe.

A bit about the trip.
United had the GF sale last year so I was able to get SFO-LHR-LAX n/s for a good deal. I didn't really have much to do in London (as I don't enjoy the city when it is cold) so staying a few nights on landing and two before heading out.
I have some shoots in Budapest and a very close friend's birthday in Berlin I come to every year so that is the bulk of the trip.

1) United GlobalFirst Lounge SFO
2) United GlobalFirst SFO-LHR 777
3) Marriott Marble Arch + London
4) British Airways ClubEurope LHR-BUD
5) Courtyard Marriott + Budapest
6) AirBerlin BUD-TXL
7) Berlin
8) LH Senator Lounge & Germanwings TXL-LHR & The W Leicester Square London
10) United GlobalFirst Lounge & GF LHR-LAX 777
12) Palihotel Melrose + United Y LAX-MRY

Last edited by JVPhoto; Jan 31, 2016 at 8:16 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:13 am
Original Poster

United GlobalFirst Lounge SFO

Since this was an evening flight I didn't need to come up and stay in the city.
But, I did do a one-way Hertz rental picking up at MRY.
I had reserved a standard car (like a Malibu or similar) and was happy when I went to pick up I got this C250.

Renting out of MRY as President's Circle it seems you either get what you reserved or you really get an upgrade as I've had this MB, an Infiniti Q50 and Cadillac CTS before since I figure they need to get the "luxury" cars back to their hubs and I'm usually renting MRY-SFO or MRY-LAX.

In no rush I pretty much packed the morning of, stopped by the Mexican bakery my Grandpa and his friends go to every morning.

Some of my own snacks for the road and not much traffic by the time I dropped off the car and got to the terminal it was about 3:50 for the 7:25 flight.

I've never flown GF out o SF. I've done it from EWR (nothing special), LHR before they opened the new T2 stuff, LAX-SYD when it still had a lounge and SYD-SFO which was nice to use the brand new Singapore F lounge.

Yes the walk was longer to use Global Reception but damned if I wasn't going to use anything I could.
I walked up to the open agent and gave her my passport and said I was flying in GlobalFirst to London tonight. After some clicking she said "Well...I see your ticket but I am sorry..."

OH GOD WHAT??

"...I don't see you as GlobalServices."
-Oh no, I'm just a 1K I just flying in GF to LHR.

No big deal but when the bag tag was out of paper she apologized for the little delays and I was dumped out to the head of the TSA precheck line with about 10 people in it.

Made the walk to INTL G and was welcomed to the lounge by a friendly GS rep/FT'er who I've met on a few occasions passing through SFO.

Took a seat and got situated and about that time a husband and wife decided to face time their son in Manila without the use of speakers so I moved to the other room.
All in all the lounge was kept up pretty well, nothing too shabby...I don't think it has enough Chinese guard lions.

I ate.

And snacked.

And a little more.

One more bite before leaving.

I really liked the cold roast beef.

I did have a little sake, didn't open a bottle of Ruinart....and I did all in my power to not throw my Mardi Gras beads while opening a LimeARita.

Classy.

The HND flight was delayed about 3 hours. 4 people on my flight were in the lounge, the Skype couple, 2 other random people and then what seemed to be about 3 people who would be traveling on the LX SFO-ZRH flight.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:31 am
Original Poster

United GlobalFirst 777 SFO-LHR 7:25-2:05+1 (Actual 7:19-1:35+1)

No walks to the plane, no being called ahead of Group 1, you may be in GlobalFirst but you board with F/J/*G.
Not that I minded all that much. Hung out in a seat until they started boarding G1 then I got up. About 30 seconds after that another agent came to the gate and started boarding G2...which caused some to bum rush.

The purser was at the split between Premium & Y boarding welcoming people (and I think subtly checking BPs).
I made the turn and sat down and within 30 seconds I was welcomed by name and brought the amenity kit and menu.

I think the kits are a nice change. The products are decent and it seems a little bit more functional and upscale.

About that time I had been brought a drink and the purser was back on board...a wonderful precise Indian-British man who thanked me for my loyalty to UA and took my food order while giving me a FastTrack and immigration card. He also asked later if I wanted turn down service and a wake up for breakfast...all making notes on his tablet.

I could already tell the FAs were going to be great. They were all about 50+ but they were in good moods, seemed to be LHR based and very "international". The purser made an announcement that along with English the crew also spoke Hindi, Dutch, German and Spanish.

It was a UA flight so a bit of a nervous sweat that we would leave on time. Boarding was complete and doors were closed early and we actually pushed back 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

I've had the mains on the menu before and it wasn't anything thrilling. But for the most part it was decent.

The empanada was good, the cold corn I could do without.

Soup was tasty and liked the semi-dried tomato in it.

Salad was boring and dressing sucked. Served via cart with full size pepper mill.

Moist, tasty and well presented.

Cheese cart came around, just took a nibble with some grapes and a banana for later.

Passed on the ice cream sundae.

I woke up with about 2.5 hours to go. There were the small sandwiches, fruit and Toblerone on the galley bar. I just grabbed and apple for breakfast.
I had that, my banana and a bar with some tea instead of wasting the calories on UA.

We ended up touching down 30 min early. We parked at the very last gate in the satellite terminal. I was the first one off the plane, I'm 6'2" and walk pretty fast. Even when that and the moving sidewalks it took me 11.5 minutes to get to the point where you either go to immigration or transit security. So anyone wondering about doing that and a switch back to use the United Club...you're looking at probably a good 20 min of just walking in addition to whatever line you may wait in.

No one in line at immigration. Got my Heathrow Express ticket from the seller before bags. About that time the first ones were coming out, I went to TravelEx to get some Pounds and once I walked back to the carrousel my bag just popped out. Got on the train just as the doors were closing, off at Paddington and in a cab for a 6 min drive to the hotel at about 2:45. 1:10 min from plane to hotel was not bad at all.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
No one in line at immigration. Got my Heathrow Express ticket from the seller before bags. About that time the first ones were coming out, I went to TravelEx to get some Pounds and once I walked back to the carrousel my bag just popped out. Got on the train just as the doors were closing, off at Paddington and in a cab for a 6 min drive to the hotel at about 2:45. 1:10 min from plane to hotel was not bad at all.
That sounds perfect! Last time I had LHR as destination I had to wait endless for bags.....
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Nice pictures.

No provided pajamas in UA Global First????
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Billiken
Nice pictures.

Heck no. Also the amenity kit is a joke circa '98 VS amenity kit in Y.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great photos JV. Looking forward to the rest ^

Originally Posted by Billiken
Thanks for making me laugh today. UA does not even provide slippers AFAIK
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Heck no. Also the amenity kit is a joke circa '98 VS amenity kit in Y.
I don't really get the hate on the kit. Compared to other F...

Thai: Rimowa would win on the brand cache, but the L'Occitane contents are meh.
ANA: Decent Rimowa-esque Samsonite case, love The Ginza products.
Lufthansa: Maybe Rimowa, maybe some other crud, nice La Prarie contents.
Asiana: Crappy case and crappy products.
SWISS: Nothing special but Bally brand appeal, can't recall the contents.
EVA: Okay it's J and Rimowa, can't remember what is inside.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Yes the walk was longer to use Global Reception but damned if I wasn't going to use anything I could.
I walked up to the open agent and gave her my passport and said I was flying in GlobalFirst to London tonight. After some clicking she said "Well...I see your ticket but I am sorry..."

OH GOD WHAT??

"...I don't see you as GlobalServices."
-Oh no, I'm just a 1K I just flying in GF to LHR.

Sorry, I am ignorant. What is the difference between Global First and First?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
A ramkin of soup and 2".
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Don't be, United's nomenclature is odd.

Global First = First class on 3 cabin planes (practically always intl)
Business First = Business class on 3 cabin planes (practically always intl)
First = First class on 2 cabin planes on domestic flights
Business = First class on 2 cabin planes on international flights

JV great report so far. I am curious how those Limearitas found their way there...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Don't be, United's nomenclature is odd.

Global First = First class on 3 cabin planes (practically always intl)
Business First = Business class on 3 cabin planes (practically always intl)
First = First class on 2 cabin planes on domestic flights
Business = First class on 2 cabin planes on international flights

JV great report so far. I am curious how those Limearitas found their way there...
And don't forget BusinessFirst = Business Class on 2 cabin INTL planes (other than Mexico, Canada, etc).

I heard a group of 3 on my way in and 2 on my way out get redirected to the regular United Club as they were trying to enter the GFL. A not so frequent UA flyer not knowing the things would probably see (Business)FIRST on their BP, see the GLOBAL sign on the lounge and piece together...well I'm flying to Shanghai and my paper and this sign both say First so must be where I go!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Marriott Marble Arch + London

Since this was just an in/out trip I looked for something that was close to Paddington Station and that I was familiar with (brand wise) so I went with Marriott Marble Arch. When I was visiting in April I stayed at the Marriott Grosvenor Square. Quick drive through Little Arabia from the station and I was checking in among all the kebab and hookah.

Not really that special of a hotel. Interior is the red/tan/white/brown and hopefully in 5 years gets a redo. The place was clean and the staff was friendly.
The small lounge on the 12th floor had breakfast that was entirely forgettable. Also from 5-7 cocktails and canapes. I went up when to get some tea and took a few bites of salmon/cream cheese crostini.

When I am in London I eat way too much Pret-a-Manger.

Not a whole lot of excitement. One day I didn't leave the hotel other than to go to Waitrose and Pret for food as I made all 3 people I was meeting/shooting come to me.

Half-... packing also had my pop out to visit Uniqlo to get some Heat-Tech shirts before meeting a friend in SoHo for a cheeky Nando's.

[IMG][/IMG]

Not far from Liberty came across a tea cafe called Yumchaa that was pretty good. Went there before and after visiting 2 galleries.

I like to visit The Photographer's Gallery bookshop which is around the corner from Liberty. Just outside of Oxford Circus the London College of Fashion was having a small exhibit/installation called Mad About the Boy looking at male/youth (sub)cultures in art, fashion & photography.

I did manage to make it to a workout at Barry's Bootcamp in Euston Square. Compared to NY, SF and LA it had quite the space. The staff (non-trainers) left something to be desired but then again I don't think I've come across any at other places who I would want to interact with more than checking in or placing a shake order.

In bed early since I would be leaving at 6:05 to make the 6:25 Heathrow Express.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:31 pm

Anyone else sees the resemblance?!

Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report as always JV!

I don't think anyone on FlyerTalk has ever paid for UA Global First Class (apart from the mistake fares) other than you, and for the price you paid I'd say it may be worth it to try out the lounges. Though it's a bummer that it wasn't a Joint Venture fare, because that way you could've flown LH/LX F.

Personally the food doesn't look that much different than what's served in BusinessFirst, and something tells me that the Ruinart they serve in the GFL is better than the Champagne served onboard?

Did you miss out on the United Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2, or was it closed when your flight landed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.