Reload this Page >

QR F - Al Safwa - Dubai, Al Maha, Abu Dhabi & Memorable Events in the Desert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:00 am

Terrific trip report. My inlaws stayed at Al Maha and loved it. Luckily, they were able to book when the resort was on sale and they saved quite a bit of SPG points. Mazel tov on the engagement.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Congratulations.

When I was last at the lounge/Al Safwa a couple of weeks ago, I ordered (not the first time) the Biryani and it was wonderful.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by offerendum
That´s funny! Really a nice touch^
Indeed. It is quite representative of how well the hotel takes care of its guests, one of the reasons I've been returning every year.

Originally Posted by farbster
Terrific trip report. My inlaws stayed at Al Maha and loved it. Luckily, they were able to book when the resort was on sale and they saved quite a bit of SPG points. Mazel tov on the engagement.
Thanks a lot for your comment and your kind wishes farbster! Glad you're enjoying the report.

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Congratulations.

When I was last at the lounge/Al Safwa a couple of weeks ago, I ordered (not the first time) the Biryani and it was wonderful.
Thank you for your kind wishes, Yahillwe! The Biryani is a wise choice as it is harder to overcook. I'll try it as well on my next visit.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

St Regis Saadiyat Island Part II: a lazy day on the beach

View towards the Park Hyatt in the distance.

The property seen from the beach.

Saadiyat Island's beach is one of the best of the UAE. Turquoise water and white sand make for perfect conditions and the fact that motorsports are forbidden even allows for the occasional dolphin sighting.

In the afternoon I went for a walk on the beach and on the dunes near the golf course.
The property seen from a distance.

My companion for a while.

Hole #5 of the Gary Player designed course.

A little souvenir I found on the way back.

The atmosphere on the beach becomes even more special once the sun starts to set.

Downtown Abu Dhabi is only a 20 minute drive away.

Up Next: St Regis Saadiyat Island Part III

Last edited by JohnRain; Jan 13, 2016 at 1:55 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: A bunch
Congrats JohnRain! What a great report so far! Where did you hide the ring while traveling?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
Congrats JohnRain! What a great report so far! Where did you hide the ring while traveling?
Thank you very much pointspinnacle! I put the ring in the central hotel safe, as the in-room safe of course wasn't an option.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:51 am
Original Poster

St Regis Saadiyat Island Part III: a plunge into the pool, a quad tour in the desert, some Thai food and happy hour at Etihad Towers.

The pool area is very well laid out, with many daybeds, a big family pool, a lap pool and a separate adult pool.

Lap pool.

Adult pool.

Day beds at the adult pool

These water-covered chaises are in high demand when it's really hot. The picture tells you how warm it was on that day.

After breakfast we left for a quad tour in the desert.

Back at the St Regis, we went for lunch at Sontaya, a great Thai restaurant with lovely outside seating on floating pavillions.

Grilled prawn salad.

Fried soft shell crab.

For dessert we had the famous mango sticky rice with a ball of cotton candy.

Back to the beach for some well-deserved rest.

I had the sea to myself as it was a bit cool.

The golfers on the other hand were enjoying the mild weather.

And to conclude this great day, happy hour and some bites at the Lounge of the Jumeirah hotel at Etihad Towers.
Elevator Bling.

The Emirates Palace hotel in the background.

Sunset from the Jumeirah lounge.

Up Next: Out and about in Abu Dhabi & a bit of hotel-hopping

Last edited by JohnRain; Jan 18, 2016 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Wow big kudos for your engagement! I'm looking forward to your wedding & honeymoon planning locations!
Are you from Franconia part of Bavaria - do you like Radler as well as Hefeweisen? (I used to travel to Nuernberg and loved both).
Anyway this is a lovely TR - the Al Maha desert resort is so gorgeous. It's such an extreme from the bustle of Dubai!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sontaya really looks nice! Now I´m hungry, thanks
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Wow big kudos for your engagement! I'm looking forward to your wedding & honeymoon planning locations!
Are you from Franconia part of Bavaria - do you like Radler as well as Hefeweisen? (I used to travel to Nuernberg and loved both).
Anyway this is a lovely TR - the Al Maha desert resort is so gorgeous. It's such an extreme from the bustle of Dubai!
Thank you very much for your kind words & wishes, gaobest! I'm half from Franconia indeed but I don't like Radler so much, it's a bit too sweet for my taste. I love Hefeweizen or a nice glass of Schorle though. On another note, it's true that the contrast between Al Maha and downtown Dubai couldn't be more pronounced, especially when you consider that it's only an hour's drive from one to the other.

Sontaya really looks nice! Now I´m hungry, thanks
Yeah the food pictures have the same effect on me offerendum!
Sontaya is one of the best Thai restaurants I've eaten at and that includes Nahm in Bangkok. Their lobster curry is so good that I forgot to take pictures of it.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jan 18, 2016 at 9:47 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Out and about in Abu Dhabi & a bit of hotel-hopping

Heritage Village, a reconstruction of a traditional oasis village.

Traditional Arabic coffee pot

Abu Dhabi in the 1960s...

...and today...

Ceiling of the Emirates Palace

Only in the UAE

The Emirates Palace fountains & Etihad Towers

The Shangri-La Abu Dhabi Qaryat Al Beri

Fantastic tapas at Shangri-La's p&c by Sergi Arola

The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, seen from p&c's terrace

Up Next: All good things come to an end
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Only in the UAE

Hey, not true! We have such things in Germany too! It seems to be quite popular, here you find the whole list

Originally Posted by JohnRain
[IMG]https:/
/farm2.staticflickr.com/1670/24144031526_e86bee5a1b_c.jpg[/IMG]
Really a spectacular view^
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Hey, not true! We have such things in Germany too! It seems to be quite popular, here you find the whole list
I stand corrected...
But I'd guess that the turnover of the Abu Dhabi ATM is quite a bit higher than of those in Germany...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:14 am
Original Poster

The next morning I woke up at 7.30AM and as I stepped out on the terrace I was surprised to see that there was already a lot going on at the beach. I later learned that it was a UAE lifeguard competition.
Watching sports always makes me hungry, so I went for breakfast a bit earlier than usual. After that, more of the same, wonderful routine: Beach, Pool, Happy Hour. Rinse and repeat.

Lifeguard Competition.

The yellow buoy is the one to reach if you had continental breakfast. The orange one if you had the buffet. I swam to the orange one twice.

Leaving a mark (for one minute).

Treasures of the sea.

Naptime.

Burning off a few calories in the lap pool...

...only to add them again during happy hour on my terrace. I'll really miss that view...

The last day of my holidays usually puts me in a bit of a sad, melancholic mood, but this wasn't the case today as it would soon be Christmas. The hotel did a good job in creating the right, festive atmosphere.

Christmas carols performed in the lobby.

Bye bye Abu Dhabi, see you in 2016.

I had booked the hotel limo at 7PM for the 60 minute drive to DXB, but traffic was heavy and we arrived only around 9PM. The flight back in QR regional F to DOH was uneventful, as was the last leg to CDG where I slept the whole time.

I started this trip report with a Krug shot so I thought I'll end it with another one, this time taken in the Al Mourjan lounge in Doha.
Thank you all for following along and for taking the time to comment. I hope you enjoyed this report and I look forward to publishing my next one. Cheers!

Last edited by JohnRain; Jan 21, 2016 at 6:19 am
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, KFEG
What a fantastic trip and report! Really enjoyed your photos and following you through it. Well done!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.