Wiki Posts
Search

Antarctica From "Above": Ski touring the frozen continent

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Antarctica From "Above": Ski touring the frozen continent

This is my first trip report.
I say from above since all the other trip reports I've seen from Antarctica the guests haven't gotten as high or as far inland as this particular expedition.
From November 8th-19th we were on the Sea Adventurer which is part of the Quark Expeditions family of ships chartered by Ice Axe to take 60+ guests and 16 guides on a 6-day, which ended up being 5 due to weather, ski trip around the Antarctic Peninsula.

The ship itself wasn't the fanciest or have many amenities but it got through the ice and the staff more than made up for any shortcomings. I was pleased that like any other cruise food was plentiful and basically all you can eat, by the end we were ordering 1.5-2 entrees served on one plate. Stabilizers made the journey down relatively calm but even they couldn't prevent most guests from feeling the Drake Shake on the way back, the Quark staff rated it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

At Half Moon Island

As for the skiing, we were really at the mercy of the weather. There was a day where we went to sleep in calm seas expecting for the first zodiac to launch at 6am but didn't go anywhere until after lunch. Being able to ski high into the mountains near shore really let us appreciate the beauty and remoteness of Antarctica. To get there we had to land wherever the zodiacs could then tour (we have special bindings that release the heel so you can move like on cross country skis) or hike inland.

Of course we had to get back to the landing zone which sometimes felt more intimidating than heading back to a lift knowing that not stopping in time means you end up in the drink.

All of this hard work to go up was worth it for the views and the relatively good snow conditions.

When we were done skiing we listened to talks by the Quark and IceAxe teams and did visit a few penguin rookeries.

In summary this was an amazing trip to see such untouched wilderness, wildlife in their natural habitat, and to get some nice turns in too.

Last edited by skitraveler; Dec 12, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:59 pm

Wow, skiing in Antarctica, a trip of a lifetime!

An awesome adventure, and some amazing and very beautiful photo's too skitravler.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
This looks phenomenal. Did you arrange this through an operator? What kind of vertical were you getting?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
This looks phenomenal. Did you arrange this through an operator? What kind of vertical were you getting?
IceAxe was the expedition company and they chartered a Quark Expeditions voyage.
The best was about 1100m for four runs on the sunny day. Second most was close to 1000m over two runs. The rest were shorter days mainly due to weather giving us less time out, even though so much daylight they wanted us back on the ship at 18:00.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:38 am

Fantastic. Do any operators heliski off boats like they do in Alaska?!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Fantastic. Do any operators heliski off boats like they do in Alaska?!
I just searched and found this: http://www.ifonly.com/adventure/prod...-in-antarctica
Price is expensive, but I heli in BC a fair bit and heli+IceAxe is about this.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:30 am

This is freaking awesome. A lot of incentive to do good hockey stops at the end of your run.

Were people ok to handle the hiking involved? That is, did you have to be in very good shape and did anyone have overestimate their ability to hike?

Your next to last picture (pano) is fantastic.

This ranks up there with this trip report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...win-otter.html
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by skitraveler
I just searched and found this: http://www.ifonly.com/adventure/prod...-in-antarctica
Price is expensive, but I heli in BC a fair bit and heli+IceAxe is about this.
I wish I hadn't asked this question, I think that's just hit no.1 in the bucket list. Who'd have thought CMH could look reasonable!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
This is freaking awesome. A lot of incentive to do good hockey stops at the end of your run.

Were people ok to handle the hiking involved? That is, did you have to be in very good shape and did anyone have overestimate their ability to hike?

Your next to last picture (pano) is fantastic.

This ranks up there with this trip report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...win-otter.html
I saw a picture taken by another guest of someone who wasn't confident enough to ski down sideslipping it instead while tied into the guide at the top belaying her down. I think someone else boot packed it down like a ladder while on belay.
It was mostly four guests with one guide on a rope team. I was in a group of 8 with 2 guides so didn't interact with other guide groups while out. If you didn't come as a team IceAxe placed you in a group of similar ability so there were some slower ones who didn't have a lot of experience touring. Everyone had fun even if some covered less distance and no one felt pushed too hard. I trained very hard for two months knowing how difficult it would be and except for the ending of one day I was perfectly fine handling the terrain.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Last edited by skitraveler; Dec 1, 2015 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I wish I hadn't asked this question, I think that's just hit no.1 in the bucket list. Who'd have thought CMH could look reasonable!
Haha I know the feeling, I just booked a 7 day trip with them yesterday and thought how cheap it was in comparison. More vertical, better food and much closer to home for less money.
Another dangerous aspect of the trip was the guides giving presentations on where else they take tours so now added Gulmarg, Greenland, Morocco, NZ to my bucket list.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Wonderful photos....especially the penguins...thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: QF WP LTG
Super cool! Skiing the Antarctic isn't something you hear about too often!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:59 pm

Wow, what an interesting adventure and awesome photos! That picture looking down...no, just no.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat
Excellent report thank you :-)
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Madone59
Wonderful photos....especially the penguins...thanks for sharing!
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.