Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Six Days In Sri Lanka

Six Days In Sri Lanka

Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:48 am

Love the pictures! Great report as usual.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: LH
Amazing photographs!

I want to visit Sri Lanka as a stopover to the Maldives , but I'm afraid that I only stay in the position maybe 1 or 2 nights in total . Do you think that would be enough time for a visit , or maybe waste of time ?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by b747lh
Amazing photographs!

I want to visit Sri Lanka as a stopover to the Maldives , but I'm afraid that I only stay in the position maybe 1 or 2 nights in total . Do you think that would be enough time for a visit , or maybe waste of time ?
Well, it depends on what you consider a waste of time. I spent 10 days there and left a lot unseen. However, I don't consider that trip a waste of time, I saw quite a bit. In 2 days you could at best see one or two sights (such as Sigiriya and Kandy for example, or one of the national parks, or Colombo) and you'd have to do it with an organized tour. Independent travel for 48 hours, you're pretty much stuck with staying in Colombo or Negombo or doing a very quick trip to Galle or Kandy. They're nice things to see but it's nowhere near enough to get any sort of feel for the country. Whether you consider that a waste of time is up to you.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesinthemiddleeast
Love the pictures! Great report as usual.
Thank you, milesinthemiddleeast, just working on my next TR now, seven countries, six airlines, nine hotels and a whole lot of adventure!

Originally Posted by b747lh
Amazing photographs!

Many thanks, b747lh. As mpkz said above, you can still see/do quite abit in a short amount of time. Check out hauteboy's 48 hours there in one of his past TR's: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...lh-a380-y.html
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by mpkz
Well, it depends on what you consider a waste of time. I spent 10 days there and left a lot unseen. However, I don't consider that trip a waste of time, I saw quite a bit. In 2 days you could at best see one or two sights (such as Sigiriya and Kandy for example, or one of the national parks, or Colombo) and you'd have to do it with an organized tour. Independent travel for 48 hours, you're pretty much stuck with staying in Colombo or Negombo or doing a very quick trip to Galle or Kandy. They're nice things to see but it's nowhere near enough to get any sort of feel for the country. Whether you consider that a waste of time is up to you.
thank you for information!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold. Emirates Silver BAEC Silver Air Canada 35k
I am from SRI LANKA. but you managed it perfectly. thank you so much
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:19 am

Maybe an idea for another trip could be our scottish #NC500 run around our northern highlands x
Old Jun 23, 2016, 5:57 am

Many thanks for this fantastic report.
We had 2 trips to the island in the 1980s, around the time of the introduction of curfews and closure of the north, and we're now planning a return in February 2016. Your report will be really useful!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Great TR!
I will be in CMB for a few days in August and was looking at the tour options. If I may ask, what was the cost of the tour that you booked?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alpenrock
I am from SRI LANKA. but you managed it perfectly. thank you so much
Thank you, alpenrock, always good to get great feedback from a local.
Originally Posted by wickscorrie
Maybe an idea for another trip could be our scottish #NC500 run around our northern highlands x
Yes, a cool way to see a country I haven't visited yet.
Originally Posted by DrMarkMicro
Many thanks for this fantastic report.
We had 2 trips to the island in the 1980s, around the time of the introduction of curfews and closure of the north, and we're now planning a return in February 2016. Your report will be really useful!
Thanks, DrMarkMicro, no doubt you'll have a great time for your return trip.
Originally Posted by jason8612
Great TR!
I will be in CMB for a few days in August and was looking at the tour options. If I may ask, what was the cost of the tour that you booked?
For the car/driver from/to Colombo and four nights accommodation (Galle, Udawalawe, Ella & Kandy) it was $560.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:03 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by DanielW
Thank you, alpenrock, always good to get great feedback from a local.

Yes, a cool way to see a country I haven't visited yet.

Thanks, DrMarkMicro, no doubt you'll have a great time for your return trip.

For the car/driver from/to Colombo and four nights accommodation (Galle, Udawalawe, Ella & Kandy) it was $560.
Thanks. That's a good price. I'll probably end up using them for my trip.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:17 am

Thank you!

I have Sri Lankan heritage and have been more than 30 times. You've seen so much in six days - I barely do more than a few errands and see the inside of relatives' houses. My dad's house is in Galle and I didn't know we had such pretty temples and churches. When we go, we rush around and do DIY. I would love to go for a hike in Ella/up to Jaffna and the North but never get the chance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.