Six Days In Sri Lanka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Six Days In Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Great read and amazing pictures. Having only been to Colombo, it looks like the rest of Sri Lanka is also relatively calm and organized, regionally speaking (compared to India/Bangladesh and piles of garbage and people).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have been all over the world except Sri Lanka(Ceylon). Nice pictures thanks for sharing.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Nov 20, 2015 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:03 pm

Fantastic trip report. Wonder why Emirates hasn't contracted you yet for their magazine

Sri Lanka looks a lot cleaner than India, I guess you didn't have to be careful with the food?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: most of them
Amazing as always! Sri Lanka has been on my list for a while. I expect to go at the end of next year as long as I can score a decent AA award before they make their miles valueless.

Good thing you like chicken curry.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Thank you for yet another incredible TR!!
^^
Thank you, roadwarrier. It was an incredible trip too, especially all the tasty food.

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Brilliant report, thank you. Sri Lanka is moving up my list.
Cheers, zeltergiset. Yes, Sri Lanka is definitely worth a visit, very interesting, relaxed and well setup to trip around.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Another wonderful report, DanielW...
You should publish a coffee table book someday with selected photos of all your reports.
Many thanks, JohnRain. Yes, I would love to make a travel photo book soon sometime, even to just self-publish for friends and family.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
You are a great salesman for the Sri Lanka Tourist Board.

I want to go now. I did not realise that the country was so beautiful inland.

Looks as if there are not to many tourists.
Thanks, Bretteee. Yes, a bit easier to promote Sri Lanka as a tourist destination than Turkmenistan. Definitely the countryside outside of the cities & towns was very beautiful. There were a few fellow tourists about, but not overwhelmingly so.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Beautiful country. Definitely moved up my list as well. Thanks.
Thank you, grandgourmand. Yes, Sri Lanka should be on everyone's travel list, a unique slice of Asia.

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Poor elephants are starving
Overall it doesn't look any better than the worst of India...
Galle looks awful too, not sure why I thought it was an amazing beach
The elephants have 100+ square miles of lush vegetation to munch on so they're definitely not starving!

The UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) doesn't agree with your observation about Sri Lanka and comparison with India. Their Human Development Index (HDI) ranks India as 135th on the list, whereas Sri Lanka is ranked quite alot higher at 73rd in the world and the top country in South Asia.

Originally Posted by mike&co
Another stunner ^ SFO777 has a serious contender for best TR. Looking forward to the next one
Many thanks, mike&co. Despite my 'private charter' in the Cessna, I'm not sure if I can compete with the private jet and F flights of SFO777 !

Originally Posted by Fleck
You make the best threads on the entire internet.
Wow, thanks for the great compliment, Fleck!

Originally Posted by FTN1898
Thank you for another great TR. Heading off to Sri Lanka myself on Sunday, and this has made me even more excited!
Thank you, FTN1898, hope you have a great time in Sri Lanka like I did.

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Thank you Daniel, for this very interesting TR and your wonderful photographs! ^
Cheers, Air Rarotonga, yes, so much beauty and fascinating things to enjoy, experience and point my camera at.

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Beautiful photos. Actually breathtaking.
Was that a Better Call Saul t-shirt?
Thanks, CosmosHuman. Yes, I've got a Walter White t-shirt too.

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I use to travel through India in the early 90's and always found it a relief to head to Sri Lanka. As you say more organised, less hussle and bussle and friendly people.
My first real overseas trip was to India in 2003, and when I arrived off the plane in Delhi from little ole New Zealand I definitely got a huge dose of culture shock. I found Sri Lanka definitely has the culture part down, but much less of the shock too.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Great read and amazing pictures. Having only been to Colombo, it looks like the rest of Sri Lanka is also relatively calm and organized, regionally speaking (compared to India/Bangladesh and piles of garbage and people).
Thank you, hirohito888. Yes, I was really surprised how 'normal' Sri Lanka was, a very pleasant and easy place to visit, both in the cities and in the countryside.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I have been all over the world except Sri Lanka(Ceylon). Nice pictures thanks for sharing.
Cheers, djjaguar64. Definitely recommend a visit to the island of Sri Lanka. A very beautiful and welcoming country.

Originally Posted by spark787
Fantastic trip report. Wonder why Emirates hasn't contracted you yet for their magazine

Sri Lanka looks a lot cleaner than India, I guess you didn't have to be careful with the food?
Thanks, spark787. I've done a couple of articles for MH, but still waiting for the call of EK. I ate everything from street food, to fresh coconut and fiery hot curries and had no problems whatsoever with my stomach.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Amazing as always! Sri Lanka has been on my list for a while. I expect to go at the end of next year as long as I can score a decent AA award before they make their miles valueless.

Good thing you like chicken curry.
Thank you, glennaa11. Yes, you'd better book that AA award to CMB soon. They definitely serve a mean chicken curry in Sri Lanka too.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:12 am

An excellent trip report. I never realized how scenic Sri Lanka truly is!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Awwww, DanielW, another awesome TR! The photos of the people were just wonderful, but then came the elephants - the best.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:16 pm

Thanks for the report! I went to several of the same places and really loved my 10 days there in 2013. I cannot wait to go again.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 4:21 pm

Another amazing TR. Thank you for sharing your journey.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA silver
Great report! Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
As always, great report DanielW - thanks.

I loved Sri Lanka when we visited over last Christmas/New Year. We were doing it on the cheap, though, and couldn't afford the floatplane. Out of interest, how much did that Kandy to Colombo segment cost?

If you find yourself back in the area, I'd heartily recommend heading up into the so-called 'Cultural Triangle' from Kandy: Sigiriya fortress is one of the coolest places I've ever seen (despite the unseasonable torrential rain we experienced there). The beach towns along the south coast are rather lovely too.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EAR111pt2
An excellent trip report. I never realized how scenic Sri Lanka truly is!
Thanks, EAR111pt2, yes a very beautiful country and a great place to escape from the desert in Dubai!

Originally Posted by lb8001
Awwww, DanielW, another awesome TR! The photos of the people were just wonderful, but then came the elephants - the best.
Cheers, lb8001. Yes, the elephants were really amazing to see. Seeing them on a chain at a circus or zoo is one thing, but seeing them roaming around in the national park was such a magical and moving experience.

Originally Posted by nemme99
Thanks for the report! I went to several of the same places and really loved my 10 days there in 2013. I cannot wait to go again.
Thank you, nemme99. I can't wait to go back and explore the rest of the country as well.

Originally Posted by halfcape
Another amazing TR. Thank you for sharing your journey.
Thanks, halfcape, great to share my experiences and travels with everyone here too.

Originally Posted by yhm71
Great report! Thanks for posting.
Thank you, yhm71.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
As always, great report DanielW - thanks.

I loved Sri Lanka when we visited over last Christmas/New Year. We were doing it on the cheap, though, and couldn't afford the floatplane. Out of interest, how much did that Kandy to Colombo segment cost?

If you find yourself back in the area, I'd heartily recommend heading up into the so-called 'Cultural Triangle' from Kandy: Sigiriya fortress is one of the coolest places I've ever seen (despite the unseasonable torrential rain we experienced there). The beach towns along the south coast are rather lovely too.
Many thanks, mad_atta. Christmas would have been a good time to go. The floatplane was $170. It was my birthday though so didn't mind the extra cost.

Yes, will definitely have to head back there and see Sigiriya etc. Would love to do some diving and see the north of the country too.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great TR as usual Where next?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AA
Another great report!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:42 pm

Great TR, love, love, love your photos! Last month I was in India, and as much as I loved India, Sri Lanka seems so calm and organized in comparison. Sri Lanka is now on my bucket list Thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.