Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From below to down under the great long way (LH, EY, SQ F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Hello, all! As I mentioned in a previous TR, I had a trip planned to Australia last year that would be like this:
I was going to fly Lufthansa F to Frankfurt, then Qatar J to Melbourne and return from Sydney with Singapore F and Emirates J and F, taking a shortcut :-) through New York and finally arriving back in Brazil with United J.
Unfortunately, I had to cancel that trip, but all the points I used plus some others I gained allowed me to improve that trip and this one.
The shortest way to go from Brazil to Australia would be through Santiago crossing the Pacific. A route a bit longer would go through Johannesburg crossing the Atlantic and Indic oceans. A long route would go via USA (DFW or LAX). However, as is the rule on FT, the longer the better, so routing via Europe was the logical choice.
As I had AAdvantage miles, I was planning to fly Qantas F from London to Melbourne and totally forgot that Etihad could also be a possibility. When I realised that, I went to check the schedule to see if it fit in. As I was searching, I found one day that had space available on the apartments! One single day, on either LHR-AUH or the opposite. Back then, Etihad didnīt released any seats on Guest First on the A380, so I build my itinerary to fly on the apartment.
I spent 105k Miles&More to fly Lufthansa F from GIG to FRA, spending a few hours on the FCT before stopping on Brussels on Hotel Amigo. Then 100k AAdvantage miles to fly BRU-LHR on British, taking an apartment suite on Etihad to Abu Dhabi and spending the night on Hyatt Capital Gate.
Continuing from AUH I flew to Melbourne on Etihad F and stayed on The Langham Hotel. I used 9k BA Avios to fly on Qantas business to Sydney, stayed at The Shangri-La hotel and returned to Brazil spending 120k Krisflyer miles to fly on Singapore Suites and first class on SYD-SIN-BCN-GRU route.

Iīve got say that this new itinerary was better than the original one and I was going to fly on two of the top cabins, the apartment and SQ suite. I only confused my arriving date on Melbourne and ended up with just two nights on Australia, as my original intention was to spend a night on Melbourne and two on Sydney. However, I had already booked all my flights and there werenīt space available to fix the dates, so my stay in Australia was going to be faster than my already fast travelling routine.
I hope you all enjoy this TR.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Looking forward to this one!^
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Good for you! And an extra ^ for being able to grab an EY apartment, which are extremely hard (maybe impossible) to come by these days as award flights.

I've flown LH F and SQ 380 suites F, but not yet the EY apartment. (My wife and I will be doing so in early next year.) So in addition to simply looking forward to your TR, I'd be especially interest in how EY stacks up in comparison to SQ and LH.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shgroamer
Looking forward to this one!^
Thanks. Iīll try to make one post each day.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good for you! And an extra ^ for being able to grab an EY apartment, which are extremely hard (maybe impossible) to come by these days as award flights.

I've flown LH F and SQ 380 suites F, but not yet the EY apartment. (My wife and I will be doing so in early next year.) So in addition to simply looking forward to your TR, I'd be especially interest in how EY stacks up in comparison to SQ and LH.
In the end Iīm planning to make a rank of the first class flights I took this year (based on how much I enjoyed the overall experience), but just to answer you, Iīd rank EY apartment, then SQ suite, LH F, EY F and SQ F.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

I left my car on Brasilia airport and checked in with TAM to fly to GIG airport in Rio. I spent a little time on Vips Club lounge, which is a great domestic lounge, IMO one of the best lounges that operates exclusively with domestic flights.

The flight was uneventful and as we landed in GIG, the long 747-8 was parked, waiting to be taken to the gate. This was 7 hours before departure.
Lufthansa operates on Terminal 2, which is a good one (and compared to Terminal 1, a heaven). The airport is now operated by a consortium of companies, including the one responsible of Changi airport. A new pier is being constructed (due to the end of the year) and the airport has already seen a few minor cosmetic changes, but Sao Paulo (GRU) airport is a much better experience.

Check-in for Lufthansa wasnīt still opened, so I used a kiosk to get my boarding pass and wait for my flight in a lounge. I was travelling just with a carry on, so I didnīt have to wait to check my luggage.

First, I went to Smiles lounge, which is used by Lufthansa, Emirates and a few other companies. The lounge is simply awful. There is no Wi-Fi, there are few outlets available (and a few of them are occupied by mosquitos repellents), there is no sound isolation so you can hear all the calls for boarding, final calls, gate changes announcements… and some construction noise.
Food and beverage options are weak but on par with other lounges in GIG or Smiles lounge in GRU. There are a section with tables, another with sofas and a “private” one separated from the tables by a low dry wall. I watched a movie on my computer to kill the time and killed two mosquitos in the meantime.
The lounge seems to be arranged temporarily and thatīs actually the case, an associated confirmed that a new Smiles lounge will be opened in February in the new pier (although you canīt expect much from Smiles).

After the movie was finished, I went to the other lounge available in Terminal 2, Pro Air. Itīs a bit better than Smiles, but smaller and with similar F&B offering. This lounge is also temporarily (although better executed than Smiles) and will also move to the new pier on February.

After another movie and some internet browsing (this lounge did have Wi-Fi), it was time to board. The GIG-FRA route has been upgraded from a 747-400 to a 747-8. Having flown on the older aircraft, I still think this was a minor downgrade. The cabin is beautifully appointed and looks much better than the older, but even though the main deck is more spacious than the upper, there isnīt anymore a distinct feeling of being in an exclusive floor. In addition, privacy got worse with the diamond like position of the seats due to the nose curvature of the aircraft. Last, I really thought that having a dedicated bed on the 747-400 was a differential from other first classes.

Anyway, after settling in my 1A seat, the flight attendant sweetly introduced herself. I declined the PDB but asked for some macadamia nuts and browsed the IFE options. I got say that I have a hard time finding an enjoyable Hollywood movie, one thatīs not a stupid comedy or that I know how it will end within the first 5 minutes. I prefer to watch European movies, but the selection on Lufthansa wasnīt strong. Thatīs why I TiVo movies than record them on my computer, so I have a library better suited for my taste.
A few minutes later the captain came by to introduce himself and exchange a few words, even though itīs slightly awkward I find itīs a nice touch. A Bogner amenity kit was distributed, which is a disappointment both on terms of the case as of the contents. The PJs, on the other hand, are light and very comfortable.

First class uses a three point seat belt, which I didnīt understand why, as I couldn’t tell any significant difference from this cabin/seat to others. As the superior part comes from inside the back of the seat, around the shoulder area, it becomes an area with an uncomfortable bump.
I managed to find an option on the IFE and watched a documentary about architect Tadao Ando. Menus were distributed and options were good. I especially liked that the breadbasket had both garlic bread and cheese bread (pão de queijo). As I ainīt an alcohol fan, I had orange juice, which I suppose isnīt 100% fresh (as it wouldnīt last the entire flight) but itīs very good and close to the real one.

The starts were great, entrée and dessert were ok. Service was attentive and after finishing, I asked for turned down service and went to change in the lavatories. The lavatories are spacious and the bed was comfortable, although I slept lightly during the journey.

I wasnīt hungry for breakfast, so I just asked for some fruits and yoghurt.

Before landing the FA came to say goodbye as we wouldnīt see each other after she went to her seat. I got say that I was very satisfied with the service, the purser came a few times to check if everything was ok and the flight attendant was a delight, being genuinely sweet and attentive. The other time I flew with them service was a bit too robotic, so all things considered this was a much better flight.
Flight load was 8/8 and we landed in Frankfurt on schedule. We parked next to a jet bridge, so no car transfer. After clearing immigration (which didnīt take too long) I went to FCT to spend a few hours and wait for my flight to Brussels.

Last edited by Carq; Nov 8, 2015 at 11:36 am
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Unfortunally privacy is not the biggest plus of the LH-product. Thanks so far, like to see more.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Unfortunally privacy is not the biggest plus of the LH-product. Thanks so far, like to see more.
I was actually surprised that the service was the biggest plus of my flight.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Carq
I was actually surprised that the service was the biggest plus of my flight.
FWIW, I've found LH F service to usually be superb and, like you, the best part of the flight (not that I'm complaining about the other elements ).
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:35 am
Original Poster

As I arrived at the FCT, I went to take a shower and got a silver rubber duck. The shower rooms are great and spacious. The lounge had a lot of passengers but about one hour late it became quite empty.
As I hadnīt eat much on the plane, I checked the buffet for lunch, but was disappointed by the limited or unappealing options. The menu options werenīt that good too, except to the Wiener schnitzel, but I wanted to try something new. I had the Bavarian lerberkäse, but didnīt liked. I ended up eating prawns and cold cuts from the buffet. I also tried several dessert options from the buffet, but none were worth its calories.

Overall, the food was average. Iīm not sure if I got a bad day or if the catering got worse. I also didnīt liked they removed the water display to put a wooden wine case in its place. Even though they should all taste the same (itīs water, after all), the different types of bottles were much more elegant than something like a wood stand from a wine store.

I spent some time browsing the internet on a few chairs of the lounge and none were very comfortable to my back after a few minutes. There are no cushions on any chair to make a better support to the back, so the furniture could definitely be improved.

I needed to print a visa I received by email but there are no printers available on the lounge for travellers use, so I had to forward the PDF to the email of an employee so she could print it to me. This is a major flaw that could be easily solved, as sending personal or sensitive information to others inbox is highly unpleasant.
After a couple of hours I was called to be driven on a Mercedes to my plane to Brussels. I choose to have a quick overnight in Brussels just to make sure I could access the FCT. It was possible to overnight in Frankfurt and take a flight to LHR from FRA, but if I just arrived in first I wouldnīt be able to go to the FCT.
As I left the terminal I wondered if the lounge is worth all its hype. Itīs indeed a great first class lounge, but I had already been there before and, in all honest, my experience this time wasnīt memorable at all and I could easily skip it, as long as I got my rubber duck :-). Throughout this trip I realised that I have probably changed the way I view this hobby and I definitely donīt have the same perception and writing skills of those who can use a thousand words to describe a single flight or lounge visit.
Anyway, the flight from Frankfurt to Brussels was fast and uneventful and I skipped the food and beverages. Lufthansa blocks the middle seat on its regional business class.
Disembarking in BRU was odd, it involved a really long walk to reach the luggage carrousel (I was travelling just with a carry on, by the way) and then there was a big, disorganized and slow line to go landside through a single door. ...? I also had to wait 40 minutes in a line for taxi as the trains were on strike on that day.
After a 20 minutes, 40 euros ride I arrived at Hotel Amigo. A friendly associate checked me in and confirmed the benefits of Amex FHR and said I was upgraded. I got, for 199 euros, room 502 which was very spacious, even more considering Europe standards. It had a nice classic décor, with a bed, a couch, a work desk and spacious bathroom with a shower/tub combo. The better part was a box of chocolates left as a welcome amenity.

The hotel location is great, right next to Grand Place. I went for a quick walk and came back to have dinner at Bocconi, the hotel restaurant, as I had an 85 euros credit from Amex FHR. The restaurant was busy with locals and I ordered a beef tartar for starter and a sole fish “served on a Himalayan salt stone, Meuničre Sauce, Steamed Potatoes, Green Beans”. Both were very good. For dessert I choose a chocolate fondant and passion fruit sorbet, which was average.

My bill ended up being 70 euros, so I gave a 15 euros tip, but later I found that I canīt use the hotel credit for the tips. I slept for 5 hours and woke early for a walk around the surroundings. The shower had great water pressure but the ceiling was a bit low, so taller people might need to keep their heads low.
After the walk I had breakfast at the hotel, which is also served at Bocconi. The spread and quality of the food was very good, but I wasnīt very hungry because I had my dinner not too long ago.

I checked out and took a cab back to BRU, checked in on British Airways counter and got all my boarding passes to LHR-AUH-MEL. BA lounge on BRU is pretty decent for an outpost business class lounge. I spent half an hour there and went to board.

This flight was equal to my FRA-BRU one, though landing was behind schedule by 40 minutes and there were some passengers on tight connections. The FAs handled this with genuine care and attention and tried to give all the information and help those passengers needed.
As I had plenty of time, I slowly took the bus from T5 to T4 and went to Etihad lounge.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
FWIW, I've found LH F service to usually be superb and, like you, the best part of the flight (not that I'm complaining about the other elements ).
I'll write about later, but I was sure that my three SQ F flights would set the bar about great service and LH ended up being the one to win that category.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Lovely report...subscribed!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongl
Lovely report...subscribed!
Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

After clearing security (I donīt know what is more boring, taking your shoes off in US or all your liquids in Britain), I went to Etihad lounge in T4. Even though itīs a mixed business and first class lounge, for an outpost it was very good first class lounge (and a great business lounge). The layout is nicely divided and furniture is appealing and comfortable (the couches have cushions, got that, Lufthansa FCT?).

I went to the spa to appoint a 15 minutes back massage and surfed the web for a while. There were servers roaming around the room and always asking if they could bring me anything. I got my massage but it was pretty average. For first class passengers they should improve their offerings to 30 minutes treatments, at least.
I checked the buffet options but they were quite limited. The a la cart menu isnīt extensive also, but both my chicken and tartlet were great.

Even though I had no other options, a 7 hours layover in LHR was way too much time. I watched two movies and couldnīt wait to finally board the greatest first class cabin available for not too many miles.
I was smiling while walking the entire jet bridge and was greeted at the door and directed to my 3K seat. I might have spent 30 minutes pressing all the buttons and checking all the details of the cabin.
Is it worth all the hype? Absolutely yes. It is spacious, comfortable and very, very sleek. The leather, wood, wallpaper and moucharaby design makes a gorgeous cabin which also reflects the architecture/culture of the country. And sorry, Emirates, all your “blingness” may also reflect your current architecture, but Etihad choose the elegant one.

The seat is as good as any other first class seat, but is the most beautiful. I especially enjoyed the different shades of brown and beige for each cabin. The screen is great and the IFE options are very good.

There is a compartment with sodas and water but it doesnīt chill them well. After I took my amenity kit from the vanity compartment, I noticed one door wasnīt closing well. For takeoff, a FA tried to close it but it ended up falling apart and they had to use scotch tape to fix it. At least their colors mixed well and it isnīt that perceptible on the photo below.

The amenity kit contents are very good, but I donīt know why companies canīt learn from Emirates and use a larger case that may be useful in the future to carry a full size toothbrush and the contents a traveler need. I still use a business class case I got from EK 5 years ago.

The space below the seat/bed combo doesnīt fit any luggage that is larger than Iata carry on dimensions, so if you have a fatter one the FAs will have to store it for you.

I choose seat 3K to try how it is to fly seated backwards. Itīs not unpleasant, but during takeoff itīs a bit uncomfortable because you end up being pushed forward and canīt rest your back well. I love how silent the A380 is and even for takeoff the noise is really low. It was funny to watch the tail camera and feel weird seeing one thing and feeling another as my body and eyes were having conflicted feelings about direction. You could also see the head and antennas of a bug stuck to the camera, looking like a B terror movie.

I wasnīt hungry so I ordered potatoes crisps, cookies and crisp bread to eat while I watched a movie. Service was attentive throughout this flight and I like the idea of some sort of onboard chef, but the menu options wasnīt that appetizing.

I asked for turndown service and to be wake with enough time for a shower and dinner, which ended up being 2 hours before landing. The bed is comfortable but a bit on the hard side. I think itīs a great touch by EY to leave a card with some travel related quote.

There is nothing better than having a separate bed and seat, being able to get up and walk to each other and close the door of the apartment. I only wish this was a longer flight so I could take full advantage of it.

After being wake I went to have a shower onboard. The lavatory is good looking but a bit cramped. Changing, though, was less difficult than I expected. The lavatories on EK are way, way better, but I got say that I preferred EY shower because I didnīt feel any cold air stream while showering.

After getting back to my seat I ordered dinner. The table is big and quite heavy. Food was very good but unmemorable.

We landed on time and this should have been the best flight of my life, but thatīs not how I was feeling. The cabin is great, but I hadnīt enough time to enjoy it. Food was very good but the options average. Service was attentive but not over friendly. IFE didnīt have any movie I really wanted to watch.
In the end, itīs probably my mood that affected this, but I had a bigger blast flying Emirates first earlier this year than now. If I made a rational comparison, I don’t think it would make sense, but thatīs how I felt.
Anyway, I should make two complaints about Etihad now: I was having a 20 hour connection on Abu Dhabi and this made me eligible for a transit visa, but as this flight was booked with AA I canīt use Etihadīs visa service, even though I was arriving and leaving on Etihad. Even if I had bought a ticket and paid a full first class fare mixing Etihad and American Airlines, if it has a AA number thatīs no visa for you, so I had to get a tourist visa which was more expensive than the transit one.
The other complaint is that I couldnīt use the limo service because my connection was less than 24 hours. I had booked two different awards on a single ticket (40k from BRU-LHR-AUH and 60k from AUH-SYD), so next time Iīll make sure they are on separated tickets.
Still, I think itīs a bit cheap not to be able to use the visa service if Iīm flying Etihad and donīt get the limo service on a 20 hour connection flight.

Last edited by Carq; Nov 9, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice photos and interesting observations, including the visa and limo constraints. Thanks for sharing this!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:27 am
Original Poster

As I didnīt got limo service from Etihad, I took a taxi (which wasnīt expensive) to Hyatt Capital Gate. I booked the hotel through Visa Luxury Hotel Collection, which is cancelable and offers breakfast, room upgrade, U$ 25 credit and late checkout. The best thing about the cancelable fare is that my initial rate was AED 780. Then, one week before check-in it dropped to AED 630. A couple of days later it dropped even further to AED 580, a 25% lower rate.
Check-in is on 18th floor, where breakfast is also served. I really liked the décor on the floor, especially the chandeliers. It was around 2am, the associate was friendly and a few minutes later I was on my room.

The room was really well appointed and spacious, with a king bed, a work desk and a glass wall between the room and the bathroom. This wall had sliding doors that were fixed, probably due to some mess produced by the proximity if the bathtub.

The marble, wood and carpet finishes were very elegant and the room had a glass faįade, boasting a great view of the horizon. I also went to check the pool and, as itīs scorching hot outside, it looked even more inviting.

I slept well and went for breakfast in the morning. Food spread wasnīt very extensive but quality was very good. After that I took a bath and relaxed on the tub. Usually I find bathtubs to be gross, but this one still looked like to be relatively new, sporting a modern design.

I was granted checkout until 3pm, but as my flight was leaving only 9pm, I checked out and left my carry on on the hotel and took a taxi for a tour around Abu Dhabi, stopping a few times for pictures and taking a longer stop at Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.

Abu Dhabi didnīt impress me much and I think one day is more than enough for the city. Maybe you could add another day to go to Ferrari World and Yas Water Park. If you have just a few hours, I strongly recommending going to the Grand Mosque, itīs stunning and really well crafted.
Anyway, after the tour I got back to the hotel to pick up my luggage. I ended up not using my U$25 credit, but this hotel was a great bang for the buck option and I would definitely stay here again.
The same taxi dropped me at the airport. The 3-4 hours tours did cost me around U$70 on the meter.
As I already had my boarding pass, I went straight to security and then to Etihad lounge. The mixed business/first class lounge would be a great business class for other carriers, but we are talking about a Big 3 Middle East carrier, so comparing this lounge to what is offered by Qatar and Emirates, this is a pretty mediocre lounge (and Iīm talking just about business class lounges, Iīm not even considering what they offer to their first class passengers).
I know there is a new first class lounge due to some day in 2016 and may be Etihad can beat the competitors as they did with their A380 first class, but they also need to upgrade this lounge. Itīs large, with good seating options, not particularly attractive and it gets really packed late on the day. Food offering for their hub lounge was limited and disappointing. There were a few servers roaming around the lounge, but they were totally passive, even when the lounge was empty, unlike their counterparts on LHR. And around the couches itīs difficult to find electric outlets.

I again choose a back massage from the spa and it was better than the one on LHR. After a couple of hours I left the lounge to board my 77w plane to Melbourne.
One thing I have to compliment Etihad about is that their “second class” first class cabin is as good as the top cabins from other companies, clearly losing only to themselves and Singapore suites. The seat is comfortable, good looking and has enclosing doors.

Flight load was 8/8 and a friendly Spanish onboard chef presented me with the menu. Again, I didnīt find the options tempting, but all offerings were very good, especially the biryani. Etihad menus seem to be more down to earth and well executed, without any over the top offerings from other companies.

Service was a bit slow but this was a long flight, so no problem here. After dinner I asked for turn down service and went to change in the lavatory. One of them is really spacious and, if Iīm not wrong (usually I donīt like take pictures inside lavatories) has the same sleek finishes of the one on the A380.
I slept for hours but found the seat on bed mode a bit hard and uncomfortable. On the bright side the temperature on the cabin was kept pleasantly colder.

After I woke I had some fruits with ice cream. The rest of the flight was uneventful and we landed on schedule. All things considered, this first class doesnīt excel in any aspect but is a solid all around offer.

After landing and clearing immigration, I used the chauffer service to go The Langham Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.