Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Gateway to the South; Land of Lincoln; Bluegrass State; First Use of New Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gateway to the South; Land of Lincoln; Bluegrass State; First Use of New Passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 25th September 2015 to 6th October 2015
Part I: 25th September to 27th September

Got word of a trip and the company booked me an air ticket to MKE. I got shuttle to LAX that picked me up at a very unsocial hour. Upon arrival I checked my bags outside at the skycap. Then after waiting in queue I cleared security and opted out and was patted down. Total time from arrival to clear of security was 43 minutes.

Southwest #3208 LAX-PHX B-737-700 Boarding Pass B57
Seat 21A Cruising altitude 33,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:58, actual 0:55
Depart: Gate 18A Scheduled 08h45, actual 08h52 Taxi/Hold: 31 minutes
Arrive: Gate D7 Scheduled 10h00, actual 10h22 Taxi: 4 minutes

We boarded via jetway and the plane was full or nearly full. Pushback was 7 minutes late. The Southwest terminal is located on the north side of LAX and is in close proximity to the north runways so taxi and hold time is reasonably short much of the time. Alas, that was not the case this time as our taxi gave us a grand tour of LAX and I saw all of the terminals as we headed to the south side of the airport to take off from one of the south runways. Takeoff was to the west and we were overwater within 41sec. We turned south and I saw the Palos Verdes Peninsula then San Pedro and Long Beach. I saw some of the Marine Layer and there was some haze. We made landfall at 0:08 over Huntington Beach. I saw northern Orange County before we went over the Santa Ana Mountains then I saw Corona, Lake Mathews and Lake Perris before we went over Hemet/San Jacinto. Then we went over Mt. San Jacinto and over the Coachella Valley and I saw PSP and Indio.

At 0:21 I got a cup of soda and at 0:23 I saw Chiriaco Summit. At 0:25 I saw Desert Center. At 0:28 I got pretzels/peanuts. At 0:29 I saw Blythe, CA and at 0:30 I felt descent begin while abreast of Blythe. We crossed the Colorado River into Arizona airspace at 0:31 and I saw Quartzsite, AZ at 0:32. Descent was announced at 0:35 and the seatbelt sign was illuminated the entire flight. It was announced that it was 90F at PHX. We crossed Arizona 85 at 0:46. I saw the Loop 101 at 0:50 and downtown Phoenix on final. We landed west to east and we arrived at gate 22 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway.

Southwest #2404 PHX-MKE B-737-800 Boarding Pass C38
Seat 26A Cruising altitude 35,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 3:01
Depart: Gate C13 Scheduled 11h15, actual 11h17 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate C21 Scheduled 16h40, actual 16h30 Taxi: 3 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 25-26 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. 174 of the 175 seats were taken. I got one of the last window seats and considered myself fortunate as I had C38 for boarding and C usually means a centre seat. Takeoff was to the east and I saw Arizona 87 the Beeline Highway at 0:05. At 0:24 we reached cruise altitude and the seatbelt sign went off. I got Ritz Chips at 0:48 and got 2 bags of pretzels at 0:53. I looked out and saw some fall colours down below as yellow aspens were interspersed with the evergreens in the mountains of northern New Mexico or southern Colorado.

At 1:01 we crossed Interstate 25 south of Walsenburg, CO. At 1:10 I got cup of soda. At 1:29 I saw clouds and at 1:30 I got cup of water. At 1:49 seatbelt sign went on and it was announced turbulence was expected west of Lincoln, NE. I saw the Platte River and Cass County, Nebraska. I saw part of the Omaha area at 2:01 but view of downtown Omaha was blocked by clouds. Then we crossed the Missouri River into Iowa airspace and I looked back and saw Eppley Airfield but clouds still blocked the view of Omaha, Nebraska. There was a clear section then more clouds.

I felt descent begin at 2:20. Descent was announced at 2:36 and it was 68F with gusty winds at MKE. Clouds blocked the view until later in the descent then at 2:43 I saw Madison, WI a ways to the north. I saw that almost all leaves on the trees were still green. We landed west to east and arrived at gate 10 minutes early and we deplaned via jetway. After the long walk to baggage reclaim I got my bags after a wait then I hired a taxi to the shipper.

Trip: New Berlin, WI to Louisville, KY 399 paid miles
Make: 2016 Peterbilt
Model: Vacuum Truck Mud Dog
Transmission: standard straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 43 to Interstate 894 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 294 Tri State Tollway to Interstate 80 to Interstate 65 to Interstate 264
Maximum elevation: unknown
Diesel price USA: $2.539/gallon at Petro Sturtevant, WI

After I made the pickup I had to take 30 minutes off duty before I could legally drive as I was required to log the travel time to the shipper as on duty not driving per federal hours of service regulations. I got rolling and stopped at Petro in Sturtevant, WI to take on fuel and get evening rations. I spent the night in Kenosha, WI.

Saturday I overslept two hours and it turned out I was out cold for a solid nine hours of sleep. The hotel did not charge for late checkout and I got a late start. I made my way through Chicagoland on the Tri State Tollway and stopped in Gary, IN before continuing. I encountered construction around Lafayette, IN. I spent the night in Greenwood, IN.

Sunday I headed south and encountered a lot of construction on Interstate 65 in southern Indiana. I went down to Shepherdsville, KY to a truck wash to get the truck washed then went to hotel to check in and offload my gear. After I took the truck to the Kentucky Exposition Center where I checked in and was directed where to drop the truck as there was a trade show scheduled to start the following day. Then I was given a ride to Freedom Hall where I phoned up and hired a taxi back to hotel. Then I was picked up and taken to Sunday Evening service at Reformed Baptist Church of Louisville. The message was on Revelation 2:1-7. After that I was taken back to hotel then I walked to Big Boy for evening rations. I did not see the Lunar Eclipse due to extensive cloud cover. I spent the night in Louisville, KY.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Oct 15, 2015 at 4:50 am
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Part II: 28th September to 1st October

Monday the 28th of September I awoke and talked to dispatch. The company booked me on an afternoon flight to MCI and I thought that my next trip was going to be from Shawnee, KS to Springfield, MO. I had a lot of time so I checked out and did some paperwork in the hotel lobby before hiring a taxi to SDF. After I arrived at SDF I took more time then checked in and checked bags which weighed 44 and 41lbs. Then I cleared security after a queue, opted out and was patted down.

Southwest #401 SDF-MDW B-737-700 Boarding Pass A9
Seat 3F Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 0:50, actual 0:46
Depart: Gate B17 Scheduled 16h05, actual 16h03 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate A15 Scheduled 16h15, actual 16h02 Taxi: 5 minutes

We boarded via jetway. The plane was almost full with just a few open middle seats including one next to me. Pushback was 2 minutes early and takeoff was to the south. We turned west and north and I saw SDF, downtown Louisville and then we crossed the Ohio River into Indiana airspace at 0:04. We went into the clouds at 0:04 and over the clouds at 0:06 heading north. I got pretzels at 0:12 and also I got a cup of soda at the same time.

I saw the northeast part of the Indianapolis area at 0:18. Then we turned more northwest and the view was partly blocked by clouds. I felt descent at 0:21 and descent was announced at 0:29 and it was announced it was cloudy and 80F at MDW. Seatbelt sign stayed on the entire flight. We broke under the clouds at 0:37 around Interstate 65 and I saw Lake Michigan. I saw Lake Station, IN at 0:39 and Interstates 80, 94 and 90. At 0:42 I barely made out downtown Chicago to the distance. We landed to the northwest and arrived at gate 13 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway. Between flights I got evening rations at Potbellys.

Southwest #240 MDW-MCI B-737-700 Boarding Pass A8
Seat 4A Cruising altitude 36,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:00, actual 0:59
Depart: Gate B5 Scheduled 18h00, actual 18h00 Taxi: 8 minutes
Arrive: Gate 41 Scheduled 19h25, actual 19h12 Taxi: 4 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 15-16 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway and the plane was mostly full. Pushback was bang on time and takeoff was to the west. I saw Interstate 294 the Tri State Tollway at 0:01. We crossed Interstate 55 at 0:02 and Interstate 355 at 0:03. We went into and above clouds. At 0:23 I got cup of soda and seatbelt sign went off at the same time. We crossed the Mississippi River near Burlington, IA at 0:25. I felt descent begin at 0:34. Seatbelt sign went on and descent was announced at 0:38 and it was 81F and clear skies at MCI. We crossed Interstate 35 at 0:35 and landed to the south. We arrived at gate 13 minutes early and deplaned via jetway.

After misunderstanding and a considerable wait I got shuttle to hotel and I spent the night in Kansas City, MO. The following morning trip paperwork was faxed to me and I saw the destination was Springfield, IL not Springfield, MO as I expected. I got taxi to the shipper in Shawnee, KS.

Trip: Shawnee, KS to Springfield, IL 321 paid miles
Make: 2016 International
Model: Tank Truck Placarded UN1075 Propane
Transmission: Automatic
Route: Kansas 7 to Kansas 10 to Interstate 435 to Interstate 35 to US36 to Interstate 72 to Illinois 4 to Illinois 97
Highest diesel price USA: $2.499/gallon at Pilot Road Ranger New Berlin, IL
Lowest diesel price USA: $2.299/gallon at Pilot Kearney, MO

I got to the truck and did the safety inspection and due the hazmat I received special paperwork from the shipper. This truck was governed to 65mph. This was a pretty routine trip except for the hazmat. There was some heavy drizzle and light rain in eastern Missouri and Illinois. I phoned to get a room in Springfield but due to availability and parking issues I opted to shut down and spend the night in Jacksonville, IL.

Wednesday I overslept. After I was ready I proceeded and stopped in New Berlin, IL for fuel before dropping the truck in Springfield, IL. Another driver was waiting for me in his rental car. We proceeded to Havana, IL where I loaded my big bags into his truck then he took the rental car to Canton, IL where he dropped it off then I picked him up and took him back to his truck and I loaded my gear into my truck and completed my safety inspection.

Trip: Havana, IL to La Grange, KY 360 paid miles
Make: 2015 Kenworth
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: Illinois 97 to US136 to Interstate 55 to Interstate 74 to Interstate 465 to Interstate 65 to Interstate 71
Highest diesel price USA: $2.359/gallon at Pilot Mr. Fuel Indianapolis, IN
Lowest diesel price USA: $2.349/gallon at Pilot Memphis, IN

I was on two-lane road to McLean, IL where I stopped at the Dixie Truckstop on Historic Route 66. This truckstop has decorations with a Route 66 theme. I had evening rations at the all you can eat buffet. I especially liked the Walleye. Afterward I went to the TA in Bloomington, IL where the shop installed a splashguard before continuing on Interstate 74. I entered Indiana and had a chat with a fellow Hatwearer at the front desk of the Quality Inn. I saw a guitar in the background as the guy at the front desk says he is trying to learn the guitar. I spent the night in Crawfordsville, IN.

Thursday I continued the journey and there was congestion on Interstate 71 between the Watterson Expressway and Gene Snyder Freeway. I dropped the truck in La Grange, KY and was picked up by the rental car company and I got a rental car to Streator, Illinois to get to the next truck. I stopped in Louisville and took a look and took some picture of downtown Louisville before heading across the Ohio River. I stopped for evening rations at Golden Corral in Clarksville, IN. I got off Interstate 65 and used US31 as a detour to avoid construction and I spent the night in Indianapolis, IN.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Oct 17, 2015 at 2:01 am
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Part III: 2nd October to 6th October

Friday I awoke to a windy day in Indianapolis. I saw that a maple tree turned red but most other trees were still green. I got a lot of construction en route and made it to Streator, IL where the company told me to drop the rental car and I loaded my gear into the truck. I did the inspection and got underway.

Trip: Streator, IL to Innisfil, ON 624 paid miles
Make: 2016 Western Star
Transmission: Standard 18-speed
Route: Illinois 23 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 294 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 69 to Blue Water Bridge to Ontario 402 to Ontario 401 to Ontario 400
Diesel price USA: $2.639/gallon at Pilot Battle Creek, MI
Highest diesel price Canada: $1.059CAD/litre at Flying J London, ON
Lowest diesel price Canada: $0.969CAD/litre at Husky Bradford, ON
Border Crossing: Port Huron, MI/Sarnia, ON

This was the longest trip of this tour of duty and this was also the first time to Canada in over three months. This was also the first time I used my new passport to cross a border. I stopped at Wal Mart in Ottawa, IL to get some supplies and evening rations then I continued and spent the night in Joliet, IL.

Saturday I stopped in Morris, IL to photocopy and send in some paperwork from a previous trip then I continued through Indiana and stopped in Sawyer, MI for midday rations. By the time I left there was drizzle and I encountered drizzle and light rain the rest of the day. I stopped in Battle Creek, MI to take on fuel. I picked up an e-manifest which was faxed to the Pilot in Kimball, MI and found that the wrong plate number was given so I notified dispatch. I shut down and spent the night in Kimball, MI.

Sunday morning I was picked up and taken to Sunday School and morning service at Sparlingville Baptist Church in Kimball, MI. The sermon was on Luke 5. After church I was taken to the truck then went to the truckstop and got the corrected e-manifest. I crossed the Blue Water Bridge and there was no backup but I had to go in to see the broker. There were some paperwork issues that caused me to be delayed at the broker but I was finally cleared to proceed and headed to my destination. I stopped to take on fuel in London, ON then stopped for evening rations at the ON Route Service Centre in Cambridge, ON. I made a final fuel stop in Bradford, ON then went up to Innisfil where I did an after hours drop and my ride was waiting for me. I had a 175$USD ride to Hamilton, ON where I spent the night.

Monday I hired a taxi to take me to the shipper. I had a chat with the driver and found out he was from St-Petersburg, Russia. He said he thought life was better when the Communist Party was in power in the USSR.

Trip: Stoney Creek, ON to Northville, MI 262 paid miles
Make: 2014 Western Star
Transmission: Standard 18-speed
Route: QEW to Red Hill Parkway to Alexander Parkway to Ontario 403 to Ontario 401 to Ontario 402 to Blue Water Bridge to Interstate 69 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 696 to Interstate 96
Diesel price USA: $2.699/gallon at Pilot Kimball, MI
Highest diesel price Canada: $1.059CAD/litre at Flying J London, ON
Lowest diesel price Canada: $0.979CAD/litre at Relay Beamsville, ON
Border Crossing: Sarnia, ON/Port Huron, MI

This was a used truck that had wear and tear and there was some junk in the front where I load my gear. Fortunately there was room in the side compartments so I moved the junk there. I found the fuel level was very low. The shipper refused to sign the paperwork so I made a notation, notified dispatch and headed towards Grimsby to get fuel at the Fifth Wheel truckstop. When I arrived I found that the Fifth Wheel was closed and out of business so I used space at a truck wash next door to turn around then I proceeded to the next nearest place which was Relay in Beamsville, ON 10km away. I was actually headed the wrong way but the fuel light was on so the need was critical. I was able to fuel and that truckstop did honour my fuel card so all was good. Then I proceeded for real. I encountered congestion and lost time as there was construction and a lane closure on the 403 just west of Brantford.

I stopped at the Service Centre in Ingersoll for early evening rations. Then I continued and stopped in London for more fuel. I did not want to overfill as it was close to empty at pickup. There was a backup approaching the tollbooth to pay the toll for the Blue Water Bridge and after the toll I made a pit stop at Duty Free though I did not buy anything. The Blue Water Bridge was backed up to the halfway point so I encountered more delays and I found that there were four lanes for trucks but only one where cash was accepted for the re entry fee. A transponder was required for the other three lanes. When I reached the booth I paid the fee, was cleared and proceeded to the Pilot in Kimball, MI where I took on fuel and notified dispatch of my successful re entry into the USA. Rather than shut down I proceeded to Northville, MI where I did an after hours drop. That way the receiver had the truck first thing in the morning, something that would not have happened if I took my compulsory break near the border. I reached maximum hours for legal driving as I dropped the truck at the receiver so all was good even though it was 02h00. I got taxi to hotel and spent the rest of the night and all morning in Plymouth, MI.

When I awoke Tuesday I saw a text from dispatch asking me when I could fly back to LAX. I replied and the company booked me on Southwest with a change in LAS. I got taxi to DTW and checked in and checked my bags which weighed 43.5 and 39.5lbs. I noticed there was heightened security and TSA K9 units were in evidence. I cleared security after a queue and opted out and was patted down. I had a slice of pizza for midday rations before reporting to the gate.

Southwest #719 DTW-LAS B-737-800 Boarding Pass A2
Seat 3A Cruising altitude 36,000 feet Estimated flying time 3:36, actual 3:48
Depart: Gate D23 Scheduled 15h40, actual 15h50 Taxi: 11 minutes
Arrive: Gate C2 Scheduled 17h10, actual 16h56 Taxi: 6 minutes

We boarded via jetway. 161 of the 175 seats were taken. It was announced there were scattered clouds and it was 70F at LAS. Pushback was 10 minutes late and takeoff was to the north. We turned west and went into the clouds. Clouds broke over Lake Michigan at 0:23 and I saw the Michigan shore. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:28. We made landfall at 0:31 north of Chicago, IL and I saw downtown Chicago to the south and clouds farther south. I saw ORD and the junction of Interstate 94 and 294, the Edens Expressway and Tri State Tollway. At 0:36 we crossed Interstate 90 the Jane Addams Tollway. I got Cheese Nips and Ritz Chips at 0:38. We crossed Interstate 39 at 0:39 north of Rochelle, IL and a minute later I saw the junction of Interstates 39 and 88. We crossed the Mississippi River at 0:47 south of Dubuque, IA. At 0:50 we crossed US61 and I saw the Quad Cities and the Mississippi River to the south.

At 0:52 I saw the junction of Interstate 80 and 74 to the south. At 0:56 I got cup of soda. After that clouds blocked the view for awhile. At 1:12 or 1:13 we turned more southwest though I was unsure of location. At 1:25 I saw Interstate 29 and we crossed the Missouri River into Nebraska airspace at 1:26 and I saw Nebraska City, NE. Seatbelt sign went on at 2:15 and it was announced we were coming up to an area of storms south of Denver. I got first look at the mountains at 2:29 and at 2:33 the seatbelt sign went off. At 2:39 I saw fall colours below with yellow aspens mixed with evergreens in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. At 2:40 I saw a FedEx DC-10 or MD-11. At 2:43 I got a cup of water. At 2:50 I felt some bumps and clouds blocked the view. Seatbelt sign went on at 3:01 and I felt more bumps. I felt descent begin at 3:04. Early descent was announced at 3:13. Clouds broke at 3:15 and I saw Lake Powell and Page, AZ. Descent was announced at 3:28 and we were informed we would be landing to the north. I saw Lake Mead at 3:34 and I saw US95/Interstate 515 (future Interstate 11) at 3:41. I saw Henderson, NV and the Interstate 515/US95 and Interstate 215 interchange at 3:43. We turned west at 3:45 and north at 3:47 and landed to the north northeast. I saw the tall buildings of the Las Vegas Strip during taxi and we arrived at gate 14 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway. I proceeded to Concourse B and had a bagel, cream cheese and lox sandwich for evening rations then sat where I could recharge my phone before I reported to the gate.

Southwest #392 LAS-LAX B-737-700 Boarding Pass B21
Seat 22F Cruising altitude 28,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:39, actual 0:41
Depart: Gate B14 Scheduled 19h05, actual 19h05 Taxi/hold: 15 minutes
Arrive: Gate 12A Scheduled 20h20, actual 20h12 Taxi: 10 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 19-25 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway and 101 of 143 seats were occupied. It was announced it was nice and 73F at LAX. Pushback was bang on time and takeoff was to the west and I saw the Strip then we turned south and I saw Interstate 215. We went over Jean, NV at 0:05. Then I saw Primm, NV and Interstate 15. We reached cruise at 0:11. Seatbelt sign stayed on the entire flight. I saw Baker and Barstow, CA farther out and we crossed Interstate 40 at 0:16 farther east than usual. At the same time I saw the lights of Ludlow, CA. I saw the lights of Ft. Irwin to the distance. I felt descent and descent was announced at 0:20. I saw some lights and clouds during descent. I got pretzels at 0:24 and we were over San Bernardino/Highland at 0:26. I got cup of soda at 0:28 while over Fontana. Then I saw the lights of the various cities of the Inland Empire and Los Angeles area. We landed east to west and arrived at gate 8 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway. After I got my bags I took a shuttle home to end this tour of duty.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Oct 17, 2015 at 2:33 am
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: All of them!
Your trip reports are always amazing in their detail and how complex it is to drive big trucks all over North America. Thank you for posting as much as you do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.