Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Small Airport TR - Laramie, WY (LAR)

Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold

One of my favorite parts about traveling is the chance to see a new airport - it's just as big of a deal as my destination.

Having recently moved to Northern Colorado, the airport of choice of is Denver. And yeah, it's a pretty good airport and all, but there's a couple things. From Northern Colorado, it's about an hour drive (with toll roads), and another half hour or so avoiding the tolls. When you couple that with parking (cheapest is $8/day), and gas, that's easily another $50 added to your price of traveling, and more and more the longer you need to stay.

In my area, Fort Collins/Loveland used to have daily service (FNL) to DEN years ago, and more recently service on Allegiant to Las Vegas. However there is currently no service there, but there is a less-traveled alternative equidistant to the north - Laramie.

Home to the University of Wyoming, Laramie has 1-2x daily service to Denver on United Express (Skywest) CRJ 200s. The CRJ 200 service is actually pretty new, only recently having switched over from the EMB 120s.
I could pretend to tell you some fun facts about the airport, but really everything I would get from wikipedia.

But I have some pictures showing the airport - it is easily the smallest I have ever been through. That means very small lines and hassle, but the best part of the airport - FREE PARKING. And the parking isn't a remote lot a half hour away - it is literally a :15 walk from your car.

My first view of the airport. I was following GPS directions, and I could not see the airport until the very last second. It is tiny! And old! It reminds me of my old hometowns old airport (MBS).

The main entrance.

This is a view into the post-security area. It is only open ~10 minutes before boarding (that is, security doesn't open until then).

This picture is taken from the "arrivals" area...which is a small room with a view outside. People deplaning would come through this door.

And right to the right of that area, is the baggage pickup area...just a small garage that gets opened.

The entrance to security and the boarding area...squeezed between the wall and a vending machine. Security consists of a single metal detector, but hey, Precheck is available! Not like it matters, even without it, you wouldn't be waiting more than 2 minutes.

A view into the general lobby. Note the TSA agents just hanging around waiting until security opened. To me, it feels like being in a doctors office here. Most people here were waiting for others to arrive.

I apologize for this image being upside down, but this is the "private" screening area post security. It's right next to the chairs, and is pretty much what I would call a balloting/voting booth.

The walk out to our plane - there happened to be two birds here this morning, not sure why.

As a whole, here are my thoughts - It was 0 hassle here. Compared to the next alternative in Denver, this is a way easier option. However, it could cost you an extra 2-4 hours r/t in terms of layovers at the airport. The UA Express flights usually leave early in the morning (6am), and doesn't arrive until 10-11pm at night. And in my case, you will fly right over where you drove from in the first place.

Free parking is sweet! That's a big saver in money. And not only is it free, it is super close. I kid you not, from the time I got off the plane on the way back, to my car (not waiting for checked luggage), it was forty five seconds.

My flight from LAR to DEN was a very long 19 minutes. But pulling up right into the Denver gates was very nice. On my return, no issues either. Not an amazing or glamorous airport or plane by any means, but I hope a chance to see one of the smaller airports has shown you something new!

Last edited by BThumme; Oct 7, 2015 at 2:23 pm
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I love it!!! It reminds me a lot of my home airport growing up (RDD), but perhaps even a bit smaller than that!

Thanks for a peek into an airport that I will most likely never have the occasion to see in person.

^
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Funny airport!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:40 pm

Ha, these airports are the best! Thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:14 pm

I am a native of Loveland. Welcome to God's country. FYI, FNL has Elite Air, serving Chicago/Rockford and EWR, with service that started this summer. I do remember well when FNL was served by Continental Express to the old Stapleton airport. It was quite handy during my college days.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EAR111pt2
I am a native of Loveland. Welcome to God's country. FYI, FNL has Elite Air, serving Chicago/Rockford and EWR, with service that started this summer. I do remember well when FNL was served by Continental Express to the old Stapleton airport. It was quite handy during my college days.
I did not know that, thanks for the heads up. It looks like EWR isn't an option anymore, but it sounds like FNL-Mesa might be in the works. FNL also just got approved for a virtual tower, so hopefully that spurs getting a United Express flight to Denver back here.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the report. How many flights does UA have to/from DEN?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for the report. How many flights does UA have to/from DEN?
Theres a ~6am and Noon Departure M-F, and a 6am departure S/Su.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.