China Southern 787 (C/F) and A380 (C) between China and N. America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Southern 787 (C/F) and A380 (C) between China and N. America

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Awesome report on a carrier not much seen on FT. Looking forward to the A380 experience.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:44 am

I have a question that is somewhat trivial but I am always eager to learn something new. You mentioned the layout of the cutlery a couple times and it does look like they put a nice effort into setting the table. But I am curious, was Western cutlery the default, or were chopsticks an option?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Quite a nice TR! Good to learn more about China Southern. I look forward to the rest of the report.
Thank you Thunderroad! Will be posting the rest up asap!

Originally Posted by fly747first
Excellent trip report!
Thank you fly747first!

Originally Posted by trigleek
Excellent trip report! I flew China Southern 787 in F from KIX-CAN a few weeks ago and didn't even get a menu! The flight attendant just told me: pork, fish, or chicken? It was seriously quite amusing/funny I thought.
Great pix! What camera did you use? I just have a few photos from my phone.
I was quite surprised they had a menu for the CAN-SHA sector, though there was not a menu for my return SHA-CAN sector. Possibly the return flight was an afternoon (past lunch time) flight. I used a 5D mk2 with a 16-35mm lens.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with CZ as well, trigleek

Originally Posted by DanielW
Cool TR, quirrow. Those bigger windows on the 787 are much more conducive to taking photo's out of them.
Thank you DanielW! I enjoy your exotic TRs with the great photos as well!

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Great pictures and TR, quirrow! Nice to see a report on not so commonly reviewed carrier.
Thank you Speedbird84! Experiencing different airlines makes these long journey somewhat more interesting and less boring!

Originally Posted by Parterre
Oh goodie, another quirrow TR! I enjoyed your last (although I'm not sure I ever finished it) and am happy to see one from you again!
Thank you for your support Parterre, I sure hope you would get to finish this one, it's my bad really for taking my own sweet time to complete it out.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Wonderful TR, on a carrier we do not see much of around here. That F cabin looked great! I'd be interested to know what F service was like on a longer route.

Thanks for sharing ^
You're welcome Madone59, The upgrade was certainly nice, and the F cabin seems empty on my YVR-CAN flight, so maybe try award availability in F on CZ next time?

Originally Posted by hkskyline
The price is indeed attractive and I wouldn't expect any bad food catered out of YVR. Would be interesting to see how the food turns out on the return flight from CAN.
Spoiler: the catering out of CAN was mixed, I like their mains better but the rest of the meal was really quite bad. Prior to taking CZ, I usually fly with CX, but their PE ticket was close to what CZ was selling for J so not a really hard decision to make.

Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Great report. Some really interesting flight paths they took on both of those routes.
My guess is that there was some bad thunderstorm in the area. For the YVR-CAN sector, the roundabout was due to the closure of CAN airport in the afternoon which led to my layover in Guangzhou and the lucky 'upgrade'.

Originally Posted by TPJ
Great report!

I am still a bit reluctant to fly with Chinese carriers, but my last Air China PEK-SYD in C (on A330) was excellent.
Thank you TPJ! Granted that Chinese carriers are usually not on the list of most passengers. Though I have had some good experiences on the CA C cabin from PEK-SIN (A330 as well). I would say they are certainly trying to improve and with their lower prices, I wouldn't mind flying with them again.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:59 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Awesome report on a carrier not much seen on FT. Looking forward to the A380 experience.
Thank you avneeshj! The A380 experience would be posted shortly!

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I have a question that is somewhat trivial but I am always eager to learn something new. You mentioned the layout of the cutlery a couple times and it does look like they put a nice effort into setting the table. But I am curious, was Western cutlery the default, or were chopsticks an option?
I think onboard the C cabin, western cutleries were the default. Probably because most Chinese eat rice with chopsticks when they are served in a bowl. Or if the dish is a noodle dish.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 9:09 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

China Southern 787 Business Class SHA-CAN

For my return trip, I was actually nearly late as the Uber I had booked in China left me stranded, so that was some points off Uber. Instead I had to get a local taxi and just made it in time for the check-in. Fortunately for me the flight that I was supposed to board was also delayed anyway.

Exterior of Shanghai Hongqiao airport

Check in was somewhat slow even though I was on the VIP counter though there was no queue or wait. There seems to be a problem with my connecting ticket as the first flight to Guangzhou was delayed, but I had scheduled a longer layover in Guangzhou so I was kind of sure there should be no problem.

Red Carpet treatment at China Southern's check-in counter

Eventually I had to be transferred to another counter and the lady was nice enough to actually move the luggage which I had placed on her counter to her colleagues' side. The interaction between me and the agent was a quiet one as she furiously typed on the computer. So it is not the most friendly and eventually when I receive my boarding pass, I noticed a change in seat assignment as I got 11C which was not the window seat of 3A that I had selected previously. Apparently there has been a change in the airplane again since I was scheduled to fly on the Airbus A330.

Floor plan of the airport

After getting my boarding pass, I head to the centre of the check-in concourse and noticed a VIP Club Lounge but I was not able to access it as it seems to be catering to bank card holders.

VIP Club lounge in Shanghai Hongqiao

Thus I proceed to clear customs and immigration as travellers are checked for their identification for air travel within China. There was a moderate queue and while they do have a lane dedicated for premium passengers, it was equally long to the various queues for all passengers.

Directions to the lounge past security check

Past security, China Southern's lounge was located a short walk away. The same red carpet on the check-in counter greeted guests as it brings a new meaning to the 'red carpet treatment'. As a note, the lounge uses the airport's free wifi and that means guests do need a Chinese mobile number to access the wifi as registration is required. This might make it inconvenient for infrequent travellers to China.

Entrance reception to the lounge

As it was past lunch time when I visited the lounge, there was no hot food served during the afternoon. The lounge did have some sandwiches and a large variety of snacks like crackers, candies and biscuits. Again as usual, airport lounges in China does not keep their drinks aren't cold enough as it seems to be like in room temperature even when they placed it in a small fridge.

Inside the China Southern lounge

Drinks and cup noodles

The lounge actually does have a lot of seating spaces and a small dining area. But otherwise there was nothing else to note here. I also did not check out any other amenities, though the staff in the lounge prohibited me from taking photos so there was not much to cover this lounge in a separate review.

Dining and lounge area

CZ3538 Shanghai Hongqiao SHA - Guangzhou Baiyun CAN
STD-STA: 14:45-17:05
Actual: 16:01-17:43
Boeing B787-800 B-2732
Gate 60 Seat 11C

Furthermore I did not spend too much time in the lounge as I proceed to the gate shortly after the boarding announcement was made. As I made my way to the gate, I passed by yet another car advertisement though this time it is a whole car on display in the terminal floor. Basically I have been bombarded with car advertisements in China's airports, indicating the competitiveness of the automobile market in this nation.

China Southern Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner

When I arrived at the gate, I was somewhat disappointed to see yet another 787, since I was really hoping the aircraft change would at least allow me to try out the other planes in China Southern's fleet.

As I boarded the flight, the Business class cabin was already half occupied, and my seat mate who is a Chinese gentleman in his 50s was already seated. He was a very good seat mate to have since he declined all meal orders, reads newspapers and magazines for most of the flight and does not generally bother you.

Seat controls on the 787

Hot towels were offered once passengers were seated and the crew came around with a tray of beverages. I got a cup of orange juice once again, while my seat mate got a cup of warm water which is the default choice for many Chinese passengers.

Orange juice as pre-departure beverage

During the boarding phase, there was apparently a couple that was complaining for the changes in their seat assignments that seats them at different seats. Either way, the crew arranged for them to be seated at 11 D and G, and a lady occupying 11G was upgraded to the First Class seat. I wished it was me instead but I had a 50 year old businessman as a seat mate and the cabin crew was especially courteous to him. It seems that upgrades in China Southern does not depend on the status of the passenger but rather by luck and coincidence, as my previous experience says.

Business Class cabin

Due to the delayed boarding, pushback took place around 3:30pm and it was not until 4pm when we took off. Once again, China's main airports are really prone to delays and I figure it will really hurt the bottom line of the major Chinese carriers in the long run. Once we reached cruising altitude, the crew came around with drink orders and I had a cup of Chinese tea with the small plate of nuts while watching a documentary on the inflight entertainment.

Tea and nuts right after take-off

Then the crew also came around with meal choices. The only choice for this afternoon flight was between the signature big beef bowl noodle or a dim sum platter. I went with the former and while it was edible, the noodles were a bit too thick for my liking. The beef and the broth tasted really good though and it also came with a plate of condiments. On the meal tray, there was also a small fruit bowl.

Light meal of Big Beef Bowl Noodle

Condiments for the meal

With the meal and the inflight entertainment, it was time to land and this journey seems shorter than the trip from Guangzhou to Shanghai. Though it was actually around the same time, I did spend much more time inside the plane due to the tarmac delay on the other flight. So in reality this short domestic flight really does not need a lie-flat bed since I did not even utilize it before we have to start placing our seat back upright for the descent.

During the flight

Landing into Guangzhou, it was once again a remote parking bay for our flight and all of us had to take the bus. I was able to board the premium bus which has only seating space.

China Southern 787

When we reached the terminal, there was handler who had my name and other passenger's names on a board. Apparently there was to be a buggy which brought us across the large terminal via an overhead dark alleyway into the opposite end where we could transfer to the international departures area.

Trolley service to International Terminal

Is there anything wrong on this flight? A lie-flat bed for a sub 2 hour domestic flight with full meal service and inflight entertainment. There really should not be complaints, and I really think China Southern is doing a good job in trying to make it convenient for connecting passengers even if it means going on a longer route for most passengers since Trans-Pacific and flights to Europe are always faster and shorter via Northern China (Air China in Beijing and China Eastern in Shanghai). Only flights to Australia and South-East Asia makes sense for connecting via Guangzhou. However my upcoming flight review on the Airbus A380 service between Guangzhou and Los Angeles will probably explain why.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:47 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

China Southern A380 Guangzhou to Los Angeles

Back in Guangzhou, I instinctively knew where to go, having spent so much time in the airport while experiencing a delay. Thus it was a short walk to the International security check area since I already had my boarding pass issued from Shanghai.

China Southern First & Business Class lounge

There was a huge bunch of Chinese tourists since it seems to be the school break and many teenagers seems to be headed to Los Angeles as well. In addition, a huge bunch of tour group was being briefed before they head to immigration. I was quick enough to bypass this huge group to a quick security check before waiting in line for immigration and passport check. While it is unusual for passport check on departure in North America, it is common in Asia.

Transfer to the Departure Hall in Guangzhou Baiyun airport

Past immigration, the international terminal really feels different with rows of high-end duty free stores.

Duty free shopping in the International Terminal

Past the shopping, the terminal opens out into a walkway with the Premium Lounge that caters to airlines other than China Southern and its Sky Team partners. That means most of the Star Alliance and oneworld airlines uses this lounge.

Premium Lounge in the International Terminal

At the end of the walkway, a huge poster marks the entrance of the China Southern First & Business Class lounge. There is a gate agent outside checking the boarding passes. Past the first agent, there is a patio of sorts before a glass door welcomes guests to another reception desk. The staff at the desk check if one is a Sky Team elite member or travelling in First & Business as guests are sent to the left or the right. First & Business Class passengers are directed to the left side of the lounge.

Orchids in the lounge foyer

The ground floor of the First & Business Class lounge is dedicated for dining with a complete buffet table and ample seats.

Lower dining area with restaurant style seating

Though my first priority is to get a shower, hence I head upstairs where the showers are located at. The lack of elevators meant I had to carry my luggage up the stairs, though they did have a luggage storage room that was guarded by a staff member beside the entrance foyer.

I was able to snag one of the limited number of shower rooms and while I had some low expectations based on my past experience with shower rooms in Chinese airlines' lounges, the one in Guangzhou was very good. The shower room was spacious and even more so than some hotel bathrooms. There is a large wardrobe by the wall that can support my hand carry luggage. Ample amenities are also provided including hair dryers, toothbrush, combs and they even placed fragrance sticks inside!

Private shower room

A walk-in shower cubicle and toilet occupy the other part of the room. The shower area is even decked out in mosaic tiles, giving it some designer feel, so this was a nice space for a shower, especially considering how warm the whole lounge feels in Summer afternoons. For a fact, I actually sweated after the shower that kind of negated the shower.

Shower cubicle and toilet

Fortunately the weather cooled after I finished my shower as the sun slowly sets. This was a nice time to relax after the shower by one of the chaise lounges facing the tarmac. Surprisingly there was very little people using them. Aside from these chaise lounges, there are 3 day rooms that was unfortunately occupied during my visit.

Lounge chairs with a view

As the sun sets, the dining area downstairs actually got cooler so I headed downstairs for my dinner. But because it was also dinner time, it is common for staff to direct guests to dine with those dining alone. As I was travelling alone, I had a table-mate halfway during my meal.

Dumplings in soup

The buffet table during dinner time was quite a spread and consists of fried spaghetti with black pepper and onions, fried rice in Thai style, steamed meat ball with radish, fried egg with chopped green onion, fried Potato with vanilla, fried breaded chicken fillet, baked basa fillet with citronella and lemon, stir-fried broccoli with garlic, beancurd with pickled cabbage and mashed chicken and corn soup.

Selection of hot food from the buffet

There was also a noodle station that made wontons, dumplings, egg noodles and beef noodles in soup with various condiments. Wines and beers are also available in the lounge though since I did not drink either, I can't say how good they were.

Wine selection

Finally there are fridges containing desserts like custard cream cake pudding and jelly, sponge cake with raisins, black forest cake, fruit and salad bowls. While there are coffee machines, I was more attracted to the packets of Sumiyaki instant coffee packs which makes for some tasty coffee by just adding hot water. Another feature I liked was the Ferrero Rocher chocolates they supply in the lounge in addition to some crackers and chocolates.

Dessert and fruits

For some reason the staff in this lounge is really afraid of passengers taking photos. First the reason they gave was that it intrudes on other passengers' privacy. Then they said it was just prohibited (when I just started taking photos of items on my tables which meant no passengers in the picture), though there were no signs stating so. Then finally, a male staff member approached me and asked what was my purpose for taking photos. Apparently he tried to ensure I had no complaints whatsoever and wanted me to provide any feedback to him for improvement.

Seats in the lounge at the upper floor with a green wall on the right

As it got noisy in the ground floor due to the dinner service, I headed back upstairs which was still quite warm. It was then that I noticed a small air conditioned room that I wanted to enter but I was stopped as it seems to be reserved for First Class passengers or VIP only. Beside the room there was a tea ceremony area that had regular hours where a staff member would display the art of brewing Chinese tea. Though this area was unoccupied at night.

Tea appreciation corner

There is also a small work station area at the corner on the second floor beside the row of chaise lounges, another buffet table setup that was not as complete and a main seating area with a green wall setup. For lounging only, the second floor offers guests far more options and the lounge also stocks up on publications like Wall Street Journal and Financial Times which is impressive considering some of these are rarely available in other lounges inside China.

Private workstations

It feels like this lounge incorporates some great design themes from other lounges and I would say it would be a fantastic lounge if not for the overzealous staff that seems to watch your every move. In addition, I really hope China Southern staff would finally solve the temperature issue in this lounge as it is unbearably hot in the summer!

Second floor dining area

However with all that being said, there is a lot of effort put into this lounge from the range of food and beverages being offered, to having day rooms even for Business Class passengers, and ample shower stalls that are well equipped. There are also thoughtful amenities like a phone charger cabinet on the second floor and small touches to add privacy and comfort. And finally even adding a staff member to oversee luggage and ensure a peace of mind and more space for guests makes it one of the better airline lounges I have visited and I think even gives Cathay Pacific's lounges a run for its money (probably why they are also continuously upgrading their own lounges). All in all, greater variety for travellers with the competitive premium class market!

China Southern Business Class on the A380

CZ327 Guangzhou Baiyun CAN - Los Angeles International LAX
STD-STA: 21:30-19:40
Actual: 21:47-18:53
Airbus A380-800 B-6139
Gate A106 Seat 11K

I made my way to the boarding gate, as boarding was called while I was in the lounge. The departure gate was at the end of the concourse and there was already a huge crowd waiting as expected with an A380. It was really a long line-up for Economy and it looks quite chaotic. I just lingered since boarding has yet to commence, and I took this time to capture images of the Ethiopian Boeing 777 just beside us.

Line-up to board the A380 in Guangzhou

Queues for First and Business was also reasonably long though the 3 agents manning the counters checked us in fairly quick once boarding commenced, and I made my way to the upper deck. It sure was exciting to board another A380 since it is currently my favourite airplane to fly on. Unfortunately, I was unable to capture a nice photo of China Southern's A380 since it was late at night and there was no windows at the end of the concourse meaning the A380 was hidden from view until the aerobridge. Not the smartest way to hide the flagship jet from passengers.

[img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5681/20401961543_8f47d03a16_b.jpg[img]
Boarding the A380

[img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5825/20834944640_b0434fa0b3_b.jpg[img]
Forward Business Class cabin

The staggered seating on China Southern's A380 was similar to what OZ uses and definitely better than Qantas' sky bed which does not allow aisle access for window based passengers. The staggered seating allows for all seats to gain aisle access. Initially I thin China Southern also seems to place a premium feel on the cabin. The first thing that stood out again was the cabin temperature was quite warm that I started to sweat a bit.

Bulkhead magazine shelf

For my seat, I had been re-assigned and was given 11K a seat in the bulkhead beside the stairs. I had initially thought it might be a noisy area and requested for a change of window seat. I mentioned it to the flight steward who introduced himself as Jason. However he did not get back to me with regards to the change in seat assignment, though he was very helpful with regards to other inflight matters.

Quilted seat headrest

On every seat, there was already a bottle of Evian mineral water for passengers. This was in addition to pillows, quilt and blankets packed neatly under a golden coloured sheet. There was also slippers as usual like in most Asian based airlines.

When I requested for water as my welcome drink, Jason got me a glass of water with a lemon inside. This was an attention to detail that adds a touch of luxury to the flight.

Pre-departure refreshments

At this time, the purser was making her rounds as well and I asked if they provide a pair of pyjamas. She got back to me with a nice pair of pyjamas later on. The cabin crew were also very proud of the cabin and showed passengers around including the inflight bar at the front of the plane above the stairs leading into First Class. Walking around the cabin, I also noticed the forward space beside the stairs was used as a galley. I thought it was such a waste of space considering other airlines did something to the space. In fact this galley was rarely used at all.

Inflight bar at the front of the cabin

Front galley on the upper deck

As I settled back down on the seat, I was provided with the menu for today's flight. This time around, there was also a drinks menu. And the headphones are the noise insulating kind with soft-touch texture that makes it feel like a Bose. So it seems the inflight amenities are much more complete than their other transpacific flight such as the one to YVR.

Inflight dining menu

Even the amenity kit was 'branded' by Italian fashion house Salvatore Ferragamo. The contents are also generously proportioned and would not feel out of place in a First Class cabin since it included a facial mist to refresh after a long flight. The only other time I saw something like that was on a First Class cabin.

Salvatore Ferragamo amenity kit

Noise-cancelling headphones

I made myself comfortable by switching to the slippers and found there was no space for my shoes and I conveniently chucked them on the side storage space found on the upper decks of the A380s. This huge side storage option makes it a hidden benefit to always select the windows seat on an upper deck A380.

Side storage space

Boarding an A380 always seems to take forever and this time it was no difference. I was basically able to explore the front cabin, get magazines, sit down and read them while the crew seems as busy as ever. Since China Southern collects back all the inflight menus after taking down the meal orders, I took this time to think about what to order and take quick snaps of the menu offerings.

The menu for the flight read as follows:

Main meal menu

Breakfast menu

While the wine and beverage menu is listed below:

Red wine menu

White wine and port

Champagne and liquor

Cocktail and tea

Tea menu

I was expecting Jason the steward to come over and take my meal order but I guess he was far too preoccupied in settling down the whole cabin. I got around to checking out the seat controls with the most common one-touch function button located on the side and the precise controls on the pull-out panel which will be hidden under the glass holder when not in use. The whole seat side panel design is very nifty indeed.

Seat operation manual

Nifty seat control panel

Eventually he did come over to take my inflight meal order after boarding has more or less been completed. Though some other passengers meal orders had to be taken after we took off. For what it's worth, we actually managed to take-off more or less as scheduled since there was a very short taxi. As usual, the take-off on an A380 is perhaps the most comfortable ever and for that the A380 reigns the skies for now.

Magazines and safety card

Once we were on the air, the crew got around to serving supper. Again, the meal seems to be closer to First Class and China Southern is really making it a point to make the Business class onboard the A380 as their flagship service. The meal started with a ramekin of mixed nuts and then canapes as listed in the menu. However the staff seems to have forgotten to serve one of the canapes and later served it to me individually.

Canapes and nuts with champagne

Wine and drinks orders are also presented along with the canapes. The crew were also very proactive at offering more than one beverage during the service. The canapes were okay I guess, but something that I can expect in an airport lounge.

Tomato cheese tart

After the canapes were served, hors d'oeuvre of roasted chicken breast and smoked salmon with capers came next. The appetizers were really disappointing since the chicken breast are dry and tasteless. Then the smoked salmon just lacked the right condiments in place. A bread basket was then offered with the appetizers and I got the garlic bread. Again the garlic bread this time was quite tough and lacked the garlicky taste. It was not as good as the one I had on the Vancouver-Guangzhou flight.

Roast chicken breast and salad

Fortunately, the soup was as good as it gets. It is something likely to be served in an upmarket Cantonese cuisine restaurant and on par with what Cathay Pacific First Class serves its passengers.

Chicken soup with red dates and dried longan

The main highlight of this meal though has got to be the main course. I picked the steamed scallop and konjac that came with 2 pieces of roast goose. This was a classic Cantonese cuisine which befits the origins of the airline and by far one of the best main courses I had on a plane. Even though I was quite full from the dinner at the lounge, I was left wanting for more roast goose. The scallops and konjac was also cooked perfectly.

Main course of steamed scallop with konjac, roast goose, vegetables and rice

For dessert, the fruit platter was served and I was asked whether I wanted the green tea mousse or the ice cream as they were not shown on the trolley like on the smaller Business class cabin on the 787. I got the ice cream but was surprised it was not another Haagen Dazs. Usually that is something I welcome since I get to try new local ice cream but the strawberry sorbet was far too sweet such that I did not finish it.

Fruit plate

Strawberry sorbet

At the end of the meal Jason asked me if I wanted the cheese platter. Usually I do not eat cheese but this time I just obliged since he asked. Nothing special and I just nibbled on it.

Cheese and crackers

With supper done, I go on the same routine of walking around the cabin and that was why I liked the A380 with lots of space for me to roam especially with the whole upper deck devoted to the Business Class cabin. The cabin is probably 70% full with some empty seats at the back. On the middle of the Business Class cabin some of the passengers were still having their meal service so I think it was kind of slower back here.

Last row of Business Class

Like most flights on the A380, the front and rear staircase are roped off for safety reasons so I did not venture beyond the upper deck.

Rear most galley and crew rest

The stairs at the back

All things considered, I would always try to pick a seat in the forward Business Class cabin which seems smaller and have a larger lavatory since the lavatory located on the rear and middle of the plane seems to be standard sized. The front lavatory is spacious as it took up the left corner beside the staircase.

Front staircase

At this time, a fruit basket and a plate of chocolates were set up in the inflight bar along with all the variety of drinks available during the flight. Most passengers were just happy to recline and sleep though since my worries of heavy traffic around the front galley was unfounded. I decided to turn in as well and brushed my teeth at the lavatory which was not occupied since most passengers did not really utilize the front lavatory.

Inflight bar after the meal service

There was no turn down service in Business Class but I had not trouble making the bedding myself. A good part of a warm airplane cabin is that I could use the blanket as extra padding for the bed. The leg cubby hole is also wide enough for me to stretch into and I think the space was just right for me. Admittedly, I am not the largest size (for comparison purposes, I usually get my shirt in 'Small' size) and so the space was good enough that I slept soundly for several hours.

Seat in full recline bed mode

On waking up, I was feeling quite hungry and so I asked if there was any snacks or light meals like noodles. However, there seems to be only chocolates and Jason mentioned that breakfast would be served in about an hour time.

Inflight map

While waiting, I switched on the inflight entertainment system. The selection includes a good variety that should keep most travellers occupied even though if it is not the most complete. Since I do understand Chinese and enjoy Chinese movies, I was suitably entertained. There are also American TV shows but they are usually only 2 or 3 episodes of each series.

Relaxing on the seat

Illy espresso

Eventually about an hour later, breakfast was served. The service started with the stewardess asking what kind of coffee or tea I wanted. I asked for the illy espresso and it was a good cup of coffee. Then the cereal was served to passengers and there was a choice of corn flakes or chocolate cereal of which I chose the latter. Milk was then provided for the cereal.

Cereal with milk

Another crew member came around with a basket of fresh pastries and I got myself some croissant and danish pastry.

Warm croissant and pastry

When I finished my cereal, Jason came over to clear up the bowls and another stewardess came by to present the main breakfast course. I had opted for the Chinese option of congee with shitake mushroom and chicken as well as a plate of assorted dim sum. The congee was ordinary but still good enough for me and it came with a whole set of condiments like spring onions and peanut which improved the overall taste of the congee.

[
Congee with shitake and chicken and assorted dim sum plate

My favourite section of the meal was the BBQ pork puff pastry in the dim sum plate. The dim sum also included a preserved sausage roll and pan fried taro cake and steamed golden shrimp dumpling, but I think only the puff pastry was good.

Fruit plate and mimosa

Finally when I was done with the breakfast, the crew came over to clear the tray and I asked for a mimosa to be served with the fruit plate. This pre-arrival meal was impressive considering how the service went. After breakfast service concluded, Jason came by and asked me if I would be willing to provide my feedback and I obliged considering the crew has been fantastic so far. Since I was asked to do a feedback form, I asked the crew for some memento and they provided some poker cards. I actually do collect poker cards from airlines, though China Southern missed the opportunity to market their A380s on the cards' background (which is something Thai Airways did).

Poker cards

I got ready to freshen up before the start of descent so that I could relax in my seat and not have to jostle for the lavatory. The cabin's mood lighting was also changed to project a relaxing ambience.

Inflight cabin prior to descent

As I returned to my seat, I asked for a cup of tea as I was feeling quite dehydrated after the long flight and I really do like China Southern's wide range of Chinese tea. And the crew also came around with herbal lozenges for passengers during this time. It was a really nice touch to end the flight with. During our descent the weather was quite good and there was no turbulence. In fact the sunset view on our descent into LAX was nice and it provided me a nice view of downtown Los Angeles!

Sunset view of Los Angeles

We actually landed quite early into Los Angeles though there was quite a long taxi on the way to the terminal. Our plane was even escorted by a police car and the long taxi meant I got to observe various planes alongside us including a FedEx McDonnell Douglas trijet and Southwest's New 737.

Southwest new 737 at LAX

Tom Bradley International Terminal

Once we came to a complete stop, the disembarkation was very orderly and I managed to be one of the first few to come off the plane. The immigration queue at Los Angeles at this time of the day was not too bad. In fact it was actually faster than I anticipated so I was quite pleased with the service at the new Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Seat 11K after the flight

Arriving into the new terminal was really nice with a spacious baggage claim area. I was also grateful for the efficient baggage service since my bag was actually one of the first few to appear on the carousel so the Priority tagging does work after all!

The new Tom Bradley International Terminal arrivals

Baggage claim area

Overall, the cheerful welcome by the crew to the great service onboard the flight and the nice airplane meant that I had a wonderful flight. With the pleasant weather on arrival and the fast arrival procedure into the United States, I was really happy with this flight and I think China Southern deserves a praise here given the value I obtained for this flight.

Final Note on the A380 vs the 787

Since I flew on the outbound via China Southern's 787 and the return via the A380, I figured I should write a comparison note about my experience on these 2 flights.

Staggered setup in Business Class on the A380

First of all, I realize there was much fanfare about the new 787. However after being on both aircrafts, I still do prefer taking the A380 and I would even pay a slight premium for flights onboard the A380 as it still offers better passenger comfort.

Overhead lights on the A380

The main difference is actually onboard space. Whether in Business class or Economy, most airlines will have better products on the A380 and China Southern shows it has a better hard product on the A380 compared to the 787 with all Business class seats having direct aisle access. Then there is also the quiet cabin and stable take-off and landing aboard the A380, while it was really shaky and creaky on the 787. That meant it was more comfort to the passenger on the A380!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Delta Embraer service between Los Angeles and Vancouver

After returning my Silvercar Audi A4, I was actually provided with a complimentary shuttle on the same car. That negated the need to take out my luggage and I get a direct stop by the Delta's counter. That surely improved the overall car rental experience.

Delta advertisement at LAX

Since I was boarding a flight in Business Class, or what they usually call domestic First Class, I was able to use the premium counters. In Los Angeles, Delta has a neat terminal with very consistent branding. I really do like the decor of the Premium check-in facilities. However I was unable to do a self check-in and I had to proceed to one of the counters to drop off my bags and get my boarding pass.

Delta premium check-in counters

After a quick check-in, I was given the boarding pass and immediately made my way to security. Inside the main terminal, the branding continued and it felt like there was something different about flying Delta.

Self check-in counters

Entrance to the Delta terminal at Los Angeles

Short queues in both the premium and normal security lanes meant a fast pass, and I was through into the departure terminal in no time. Once inside, I found the entrance to the Delta Sky Club on the second floor which is accessible by an elevator. There was some renovations outside the lounge which diminished my impression a bit but it was like a different world and totally unexpected inside the lounge!

Departure concourse of.Terminal 5

There was a Korean gentleman taking the elevator with me but it seems he was not able to enter the SkyClub. Since I entered the lounge after him, there was a short wait before I was welcomed into the lounge. The lounge receptionist in Delta SkyClub was really friendly and asked if it was my first time in the lounge. She also made sure to let me know of all the facilities and about the directions to the gate where my flight was leaving. Very excellent service from the lounge attendant and I would have thought I was really in a First Class lounge.

Delta SkyClub reception

The decor certainly fits the stature though as there was a nice cool atrium with dim blue lighting after the reception. Guests could certainly fall into a slumber here for a rest. Around the lounge, there was also a very nice collection of pop art, making the SkyClub feel like a modern art gallery.

Central atrium inside the lounge

Beyond the main lounge area, there is a brightly lit dining area with ample seats and tables for guests on one side. And the other side houses a bar and the buffet counter.

Bright dining area

Bar area with a vibrant counter

The bar section features several flat screen TVs and has a very vibrant atmosphere with the bar tender interacting with guests watching the sports channel. Do remember though that alcoholic drinks are not free for domestic First Class guests.

What was impressive though was the range of food options on the buffet counter. There was stew, soups, salads, fruits, sandwiches and vegetables in addition to the usual nuts and crackers. Overall it was good enough for guests to have a light lunch before boarding their flight. As I already had a nice lunch, I just grabbed a banana and made myself a cup of cappuccino. The DIY espresso machine with a touch-screen panel was also a nifty feature in the lounge!

Buffet counter

Espresso machine touch screen panel

The last section of the lounge set against the windows overlooking the tarmac was a brighter seating space. There was lounge chairs in an open plan setting with the seats upholstered in Delta's colours of blue, red and white. In addition there was power ports in between most of the seats. However the power ports seems to be a bit of a 'white elephant' as only a couple was working. At least the lounge had signs to indicate the power ports were not operationally ready yet.

Seats in Delta's colours

Against the window, there was also a taller bench table with bar stools. This seems to be a popular space for the guests that day. Perhaps it was the view or maybe it was the fact the power ports set against the bench table was functional. But this section of the lounge would probably be a nice spot for me too if I need to use my laptop due to the brighter lighting and quieter atmosphere. More guests seem to congregate around the main lounge area right after the reception.

Delta liveries as seen from the lounge windows

Another amenity inside the lounge that I liked was how well stocked the magazine shelves in the SkyClub was. There was a variety of magazines and newspapers to match varying interests. There was also some shower room but I did not check them out since I did not need them. While waiting for my flight, I actually noticed a pair of 'celebrities' from one of the earlier seasons of 'The Amazing Race', which I still watch till this day.

Magazine shelves

With all these trappings, the lounge in Los Angeles certainly can make flyers more contented as the pair was actually delayed for their flight but they seemed calm and just content to sit down and relax. It is such a shame then that I had to walk quite a bit of a distance to the neighbouring terminal 6 for my departing flight. That meant I had to leave earlier than anticipated as I did not want to miss the flight.

Pop art gallery in the lounge

Delta certainly paid attention to make a lounge that would fit the need for passengers. It created a nice ambience in the lounge and added ample amenities to keep them occupied. For an airline that I had not flown, Delta certainly impressed me enough with its lounge that I would certainly consider them for flights in the future!

As my flight departed from Terminal 6, I had to make the trek from the underground connector and I made sure to leave some time for this walk. There was some delay at the gate as the plane arrived slightly late so I ended up waiting a short while by the gate. Boarding started about 6:55pm, and there was no one blocking the gates or the queues. On this rare occasion, I thought this might be an empty flight.

Delta Embraer Jet in LAX

DL5730 Los Angeles International LAX - Vancouver International YVR
STD-STA: 19:10-22:18
Actual: 20:19-22:45
Embraer 175 N605CZ
Gate 68A Seat 2A

Domestic First Class seating

Once I got seated, drink orders were taken by the cheerful flight attendant and I got myself a mix of ginger ale and orange juice. There was already a bottle of 'Dasani' water on the seat along with the stark red blanket against the blue leather seat.

Domestic First seat pitch

When everyone has boarded, the pilot came to mention some fault in the system and they expected a 15-20 min delay as maintenance crew was brought in.

Delta Sky magazine and orange juice

More drama emerged during this time as there was a scorpion on the plane! The gung-ho stewardess was really cool about it and squashed the scorpion with her heels. That is one stewardess I would not want to get on the bad side of!

Temporary power shutdown

Eventually the maintenance had to reset the system and it involves shutting off the power for about 3-5 minutes. One concerned passenger even checked with the pilot who was outside the cockpit. During the delay, 4 more passengers joined us to make up a total of 73 pax with 3 vacant seats, 2 of them in upfront.

Boeing 767 in Delta colours

We started the pushback around 8:05pm and the meal orders were taken. Choices includes grilled chicken with rice or turkey cheese and ham sandwich. Wines and alcoholic beverages were also included. It was definitely a leader in terms of catering for this particular route and I can see Delta becoming a hit with executives in the film industry that might take this particular route.

Beautiful dusk sky

The delay in this case turns out to be quite of a blessing for me since Vancouver is my final destination and I was in no particular hurry. When we took off, the sun has just set and gives a very nice purplish orange glow that really paints a beautiful picture! I will just let the photos do the talking here!

Santa Cruz Island, part of the Channel Islands off the coast of California

I had the grilled chicken with rice option and the presentation of the dish on the tray was immaculate. It felt like having a meal in an upscale bistro with the wooden tray and nice cutleries. The main course of the grilled chicken and the rice dish was exceptional even if it was both a cold dish. The grilled chicken was actually tender and full of flavour while the rice salad had a very nice texture and great mix of healthy ingredients. I would even say this is a particular dish I wouldn't mind ordering in a restaurant!

Grilled chicken meal with rice

In case passengers are still hungry, Delta also provides a packed dessert of a sweet lemon bar which was also tasty. There is also a packet of breadsticks to snack on along with a 'Sesame Oriental' dressing which can function as a dip. For a route that is neither too short nor too long, I think the meal was adequate. Snack baskets were also available with the usual chips and chocolates, while the stewardess asked if passengers would like more drinks once they finished with the meal or beverage.

Breadsticks and lemon tart

I spent the rest of the flight catching up on reading my novel while enjoying the orange horizon from the summer sunset. The ambience made this flight a particular treat! There was still some time to go but the amenities in the flight were comfortable and the friendly crew with excellent service made it a very good flight.

Reading my book on the flight with a view

Before long, we started our descent into Vancouver and the pilot apologized for the delay in the flight. In the end though we landed about half an hour late even with an hour late in the scheduled departure.

Descent into Vancouver

Disembarkation was orderly even with the late arrival and I was through in no time. The queues for immigration in Vancouver was also short at this late hour while the baggage claim service was efficient. This really makes YVR one of the best airports in Canada and North America. While it was a short flight with basic recliner seats in the premium cabin, Delta's professional crew attitude and amenities onboard the flight or on the ground was excellent and makes me think they might just be North America's leading airline right now! In fact it was this flight that made me fly a couple more Delta flights again which I would review shortly in this blog, so stay tuned for more 'Flying Delta'!

Bulkhead seats

The Embraer Jet in YVR
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Very refreshing to see some new carriers, thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Great trip report! I love how you flew on the two best/newest aircrafts. It's awesome to see a comparison of the two.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Thoroughly enjoyed this report, it is nice to see a carrier not often featured.

From my couple of trips on the 787 I have not taken to it, if anything it is too quiet.

Nice job.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
It seems like CZ massively upgraded their wine selection following Ben Schlappig's/Lucky's viral review of his Duc de Paris F trip LAX-CAN.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
The CZ lounge in CAN looks great. To be equated with CX lounges in HKG is quite something. Day rooms for Biz pax! Wow!

I had not experienced CZ long haul. Both your experiences on 787 (C/F) and A380 (C) indicated solid good hard products, particularly the A380 being more spacious.

Great read, as usual! Thanks for the efforts. ^
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Very nice TR indeed... thanks for showing us this.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: National Emerald Executive, Sixt Platinum
Nicely done trip report.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:22 pm

Great report! I am taking the YVR-CAN flight in a few months in J.

Were there movies available for English speakers?

Also, the service and seats looks good. I'm a little worried about the food though. I'm a vegetarian. Oh dear. I will call them to select my seats and reserve a special meal. I do like the looks of the desserts though.

Last edited by MissJ; Nov 3, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.