Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

High School Is Over: Delta First Class, 757-200s of DL/NW+Hampton Inn FLL✈DTW✈SLC✈PDX

High School Is Over: Delta First Class, 757-200s of DL/NW+Hampton Inn FLL✈DTW✈SLC✈PDX

Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Well done!! I always love reading your trip reports! I enjoy how you include the "Science of flight" within your reports! Keep it up!

On a more "personal note"... My family and I were in FLL at the EXACT time you were departing!! We had actually just been on a cruise on Oasis of the Seas, so its funny you included a picture of her in port!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Thank you all for commenting!

Originally Posted by MikeyInSAT
Hey there, Colby!

Absolutely fantastic report as always. Great pictures, explanations and all the goodies. I'll probably read it again when I'm a bit more awake since the sleeping pill I took a bit ago is trying to take over my mind, heart and soul.

Keep up the great work and watch out for that swirling storm headed your way!!

-- Mikey
Should be here by Monday, standing by...

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yeah, can imagain that airfield-view is yours
I'll definitely stay there when I return to PDX and visit downtown Portland.

Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Well done!! I always love reading your trip reports! I enjoy how you include the "Science of flight" within your reports! Keep it up!

On a more "personal note"... My family and I were in FLL at the EXACT time you were departing!! We had actually just been on a cruise on Oasis of the Seas, so its funny you included a picture of her in port!
Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

-LPDAL
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:32 pm

This is yet another really enjoyable TR with crisp writing, fabulous detail, and appropriate humor. You've also gotten muc better at dealing with airline and hotel agents who would dismiss your concerns because they think you are too young to take seriously.

I'm glad that some FA's now recognize you, too, and follow your reports. When will some start asking for autographs?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:54 pm

Hi again, Colby!

Now that I've had a chance to re-read this awesomeness of a report, time to point out something that got my attention:

"Thus, it is a strange experience to go to other parts of the country where they have these things known as non-artificial "grassy fields" (sarcasm) and "mountains that aren't landfills". In SLC, the city center is about the only part that is visible at night, since most of the surroundings are bare wilderness, I couldn't see anything but [i]taxiway lights[/b] as we rumbled along to the runway."

Found this at the beginning of Post #9. Just a small coding gaffe. Oops.

I was amused by your displays of the FIDS in DTW and SLC showing departures here to SAT and then a Virgin America and WestJet codeshare on each one. Initially when I saw the Virgin America one, I thought "that's odd, they fly to AUS, but I've never seen them here." Then I got wise and realized that it must be a codeshare. Seeing a VX birdie here in SAT would be terrific. A WestJet bird would just be ... odd; although stranger things have happened I suppose (like the occasional Sun Country arrival).

As Glensea said above, this TR did have crisp writing and appropriate humor. I love the self-deprecating comments (ex: comments about your "tiny brain" etc) and the snark behind others. It really captures the mood and the essence of the moment. I like it!

Finally: the flight deck photo of you in the left seat was just the icing on the cake (mmmmmmmmm caaaaaake). I could see you in a captain's uniform. Halloween perhaps?

Overall, really well done. Not as extensive as your others but with the perfect blend of detail and commentary. Another A+.

-- Mikey

PS: When that filter is 100% complete, let me know where I can find parts for mine. I could use one for my day job.

Last edited by MikeyInSAT; Aug 28, 2015 at 3:57 pm Reason: Correct a phrase and add.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for commenting!

Originally Posted by MikeyInSAT
Hi again, Colby!

Now that I've had a chance to re-read this awesomeness of a report, time to point out something that got my attention:

"Thus, it is a strange experience to go to other parts of the country where they have these things known as non-artificial "grassy fields" (sarcasm) and "mountains that aren't landfills". In SLC, the city center is about the only part that is visible at night, since most of the surroundings are bare wilderness, I couldn't see anything but [i]taxiway lights[/b] as we rumbled along to the runway."

Found this at the beginning of Post #9. Just a small coding gaffe. Oops.
Thanks for reporting that! Fixed.

I was amused by your displays of the FIDS in DTW and SLC showing departures here to SAT and then a Virgin America and WestJet codeshare on each one. Initially when I saw the Virgin America one, I thought "that's odd, they fly to AUS, but I've never seen them here." Then I got wise and realized that it must be a codeshare. Seeing a VX birdie here in SAT would be terrific. A WestJet bird would just be ... odd; although stranger things have happened I suppose (like the occasional Sun Country arrival).

As Glensea said above, this TR did have crisp writing and appropriate humor. I love the self-deprecating comments (ex: comments about your "tiny brain" etc) and the snark behind others. It really captures the mood and the essence of the moment. I like it!
I've got to keep it light hearted.

Finally: the flight deck photo of you in the left seat was just the icing on the cake (mmmmmmmmm caaaaaake). I could see you in a captain's uniform. Halloween perhaps?

Overall, really well done. Not as extensive as your others but with the perfect blend of detail and commentary. Another A+.

-- Mikey

PS: When that filter is 100% complete, let me know where I can find parts for mine. I could use one for my day job.
Thanks again, Mikey!

Originally Posted by Glensea
This is yet another really enjoyable TR with crisp writing, fabulous detail, and appropriate humor. You've also gotten muc better at dealing with airline and hotel agents who would dismiss your concerns because they think you are too young to take seriously.

I'm glad that some FA's now recognize you, too, and follow your reports. When will some start asking for autographs?
I know, right. Two agents on this trip asked me if the United Club membership card was mine. But I have to say, I resisted making any snarky comments.

I might get some business cards, hehehehe.

-LPDAL
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Nice report. Any domestic itinerary which includes all 757s is a decent one for me. That aircraft is consistently my favorite domestic equipment across any airline.

The SLC SkyClub is one of my favorites as it still retains more of the Crown Room atmosphere and isn't bathed in bright white lighting with Ikea furniture as many of the 'enhanced' clubs are.

Portland is a great city. Hopefully you enjoyed your time there!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Fantastic trip report as always! I love the 757 and will be upset when eventually they are all retired. Detroit looks like a nice airport, get to fly through there for the first time in November and January. Can't wait for the rest of your reports!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for commenting, guys!

Originally Posted by cmd320
Nice report. Any domestic itinerary which includes all 757s is a decent one for me. That aircraft is consistently my favorite domestic equipment across any airline.

The SLC SkyClub is one of my favorites as it still retains more of the Crown Room atmosphere and isn't bathed in bright white lighting with Ikea furniture as many of the 'enhanced' clubs are.

Portland is a great city. Hopefully you enjoyed your time there!
I was surprised as well that it was all 757s, thanks for your kind words.

Other clubs like SLC: FLL (for the time being), PBI, MCO (there's a fancy one), and PDX, which will be referenced in the next report.

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Fantastic trip report as always! I love the 757 and will be upset when eventually they are all retired. Detroit looks like a nice airport, get to fly through there for the first time in November and January. Can't wait for the rest of your reports!
Thanks, man!

I managed to get a sCO BusinessFirst 757 on MCO-IAH, which will have a report of its own soon enough.

Thanks again,

-LPDAL
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Thanks for commenting, guys!

I was surprised as well that it was all 757s, thanks for your kind words.

Other clubs like SLC: FLL (for the time being), PBI, MCO (there's a fancy one), and PDX, which will be referenced in the next report.
MCO was my regular club for many years (and still is when I choose to fly DL). I do like it, though it tends to get very warm in the afternoon and very busy just before international departures. Still, I do like the atmosphere and feel of the club. Not overly sterile like the newer ones are.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Great report as always, Colby. Have you ever considered saving up and splurging on an international trip in business? It seems there has been fairy decent fares to Europe or South American from MIA on DL recently.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
MCO was my regular club for many years (and still is when I choose to fly DL). I do like it, though it tends to get very warm in the afternoon and very busy just before international departures. Still, I do like the atmosphere and feel of the club. Not overly sterile like the newer ones are.
I feel the same way about the country western theme-ing of the SLC Sky Club. Low lighting, brick and exposed wood create a very calming atmosphere.

I know this might sound weird, but I walked the streets of downtown Fort Lauderdale the other day [I don't know if I've explained this before, but from 2000-Nov 2012, I lived in downtown Fort Lauderdale. In Nov 2012, I moved to a beachfront penthouse with my parents in Lauderdale by the Sea, where I have resided to this day.], and I became very emotional because I had a very strong feeling of not belonging. I'm not sure how to say this, but I really don't like Fort Lauderdale or South Florida. I'm not sure why half the nation wants to move here [absent the weather], and I want out ASAP. Traveling has shown me that there are greener pastures out there, and being 19 (20 in a couple of months), there's the independence desire...

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
Great report as always, Colby. Have you ever considered saving up and splurging on an international trip in business? It seems there has been fairy decent fares to Europe or South American from MIA on DL recently.
Thank you, DP!

I haven't considered much international traveling yet. But when I do, I want to review obscure airlines' premium products -- Air Greenland Business Class, Icelandair Saga Class, S7 Airlines Business Class, Vietnam Airlines Business Class....

-LPDAL
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

Great report!

I enjoyed the report, as well as the good photography of the SLC and PDX airports!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sevensixtyseven
I enjoyed the report, as well as the good photography of the SLC and PDX airports!
Thanks for your compliment, Victor!

The Delta portion of this trip alone accounted for almost 3,600 pictures alone!

-LPDAL
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I received a PM asking me how I take the high quality images in these reports, along with asking for tips to improve their trip report photography. Since I believe that this information could benefit other FlyerTalkers and trip reporters as well, I've decided to post it here. I've also included some other FAQs that I've received that may not be strictly related to photography.

1 Light, light, and more light

In the most general, basic sense, the more light you have, the higher the quality of your picture will be. There are many exceptions to this, of course, but I'm just speaking in general. Sometimes you may be able to influence the amount of light in your photo, other times not. For example, if you are trying to take a picture of a hotel room, turning on all possible lights can help improve your shots. In other cases, flash may be used, but I avoid using flash in public places where possible.

2. How do you take incredibly close up pictures and still keep them clear?

Most stand alone cameras (meaning, not part of a phone) have a close up feature called "macro" which is represented on the button panel or settings by a stylized tulip as such:

LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing

Pressing this button will allow you to take pictures that are of objects inches or centimeters away from the lens with relatively good clarity.

3. How do you gain access to the cockpit to take pictures?

No Cold War level negotiation going on here: just ask! My actual phrasing will be something along the lines of "May I please speak with the captain" after the flight has emptied or during boarding. During boarding is usually only possible where the first class cabin is not being used to access coach, IE 757 and domestic widebodies. Usually, it is after deplaning is complete.

4. How do you take clear pictures in the dark, considering your above answer about light?

Like macro, most cameras have some mode of "Night Photography" that can be accessed. Note however, that even in "night mode", that taking high quality pictures in the dark is incredibly difficult.

5. Who do you use to store your photos?

Flickr, owned by Yahoo, is my preferred data mirror. 1TB of free storage and their feature-packed-yet-free GUI makes them a really attractive option for me.

If I get any more questions, I'll add them to the FAQ.

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 1, 2015 at 11:23 am
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
A couple of things...

I disagree with your findings about light.
More light does not necessarily lead to better pictures, unless your definition of "better" is a "brighter'.
And you can always influence the amount of light your camera takes in... Unless you have a camera with a fixed shutter release which cannot be modified.

Also, when you say that Yahoo is your data mirror... what is it a mirror of? Perhaps you mean that you use Yahoo as your main repository.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.