Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Sun, Snow and Sushi - One Week, OneWorld F Round The World (BA F, AA F, JL F-J-Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sun, Snow and Sushi - One Week, OneWorld F Round The World (BA F, AA F, JL F-J-Y)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:45 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by DTS
Just checked your girl's Instagram, very fancy...and, ok, killer abs.
Haha, I'll be sure to let her know her work in the gym is paying off

Originally Posted by lesamuel
Looks like a great trip! What did you think of Hokkaido in the winter? I just returned from Japan (writing my TR now actually) and went to Hokkaido during the summer, which was beautiful. Did you visit Yoichi, Otaru, Sapporo, Jozankei, etc? Interested to see what those places are like in the winter.
Looking forward to reading your TR! I was only able to take one week off work so unfortunately didn't have much time to explore. We just headed straight to Niseko and did as much snowboarding as possible. ^

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Looking forward to the rest. This made me giggle: "agents who sported that truly magical combo of total suggestibility and a deep lack of geographical knowledge".
Thanks! Yes, I'm pretty bummed about the fact I won't be able to book any more travel via the use of highly unorthodox geography lessons.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Yes! Another Jermyn classic in the making.

Glad to hear you're still putting USDM to good use. I briefly became a member in order to make use of another very sweet spot: flying between Australasia and Palau in J for 30K miles round trip. I needed to get back to Australia from NZ, so for about $600 per ticket I flew BHE-WLG-AKL-PVG-ICN-ROR//ROR-ICN-SYD in J. A sweet deal made even sweeter by the knowledge that a revenue one way ticket BHE-SYD in Y on AirNZ would have cost $300+. And I remember only too well the complete geographic hopelessness of the USDM agents, bless 'em.

Haha, thanks as always for the support mad_atta!
Wow, what an awesome use of miles. I really need to get to Palau one day. I remember getting lunch in a truckstop diner in the middle of the desert in Arizona once. I sat next to a former marine at the counter. We started exchanging travel stories and man, he had really travelled. So I asked him what the most amazing, mind blowing place he had ever seen was. He didn't even think about it: "Palau, Micronesia. You could see for a mile underwater there".

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Yes!!! Another fantastic TR is on the way. I cannot wait.
Thanks! I hope it lives up to expectations

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Good stuff as always!
Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Great report of BA F! I especially loved the selfie with the GoPro. Looking forward to the rest!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Your experience is interesting to compare to my first First in July. We didn't get offered a tour round of the seat and how it all works. We also weren't given any directions on entering the CR. On the other hand the crew on our service actively offered to turndown our beds and put out the proper duvet (in fact I didn't see the First blanket).

Just goes to show how different crews do things so very differently!

Great start with the BA TR.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:56 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Great report so far. Gracias por compartir. ^
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: LH HON
Yikes. Amazing.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
This is going to be a great TR, so have subscribed and cannot wait to get started reading.^
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great start to the TR! Looking forward to seeing your impressions of the Hilton Niseko. I went skiing there with the gf back in March (a TR I need to get around to writing).

We loved the skiing but were sorely disappointed by the food options both on and off property (had the worst sushi I've ever had in Japan in Niseko Village).
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Very frustrating that the check-in agent was unprepared to check bags through with additional itineraries; especially considering the connection to another oneWorld carrier. IME, there's no issue 3/4 of the time, but BA really needs to improve that. Ugh, 'Fast' Track, what a joke. Glad the experience improved from then on. The Andaz is a great alternative to PH in NYC. Andaz in San Diego was also very comfortable so looking forward to the review of the one in W Hollywood. Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:18 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Part 2 is now up!

Originally Posted by batmandds
Great report of BA F! I especially loved the selfie with the GoPro. Looking forward to the rest!
Thanks, that was my first ever flight with the GoPro - the wide angle shots really do capture the cabin so much better than a regular lens don't they?

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Your experience is interesting to compare to my first First in July. We didn't get offered a tour round of the seat and how it all works. We also weren't given any directions on entering the CR. On the other hand the crew on our service actively offered to turndown our beds and put out the proper duvet (in fact I didn't see the First blanket).

Just goes to show how different crews do things so very differently!

Great start with the BA TR.
BA are known for the inconsistency of their cabin crews, I guess this comes from the fact that some of them have careers spanning multiple decades. It must be much harder to remain consistent than with Asian carriers where the crews are probably no more than 5 years out of training before they retire.

Originally Posted by aw
Great report so far. Gracias por compartir. ^
De nada, muchas gracias por leerlo! ^

Originally Posted by ckx2
Yikes. Amazing.

Originally Posted by BA5E
This is going to be a great TR, so have subscribed and cannot wait to get started reading.^
Glad to hear you've subscribed, thanks!

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Very frustrating that the check-in agent was unprepared to check bags through with additional itineraries; especially considering the connection to another oneWorld carrier. IME, there's no issue 3/4 of the time, but BA really needs to improve that. Ugh, 'Fast' Track, what a joke. Glad the experience improved from then on. The Andaz is a great alternative to PH in NYC. Andaz in San Diego was also very comfortable so looking forward to the review of the one in W Hollywood. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, fast track can mean very different things in different parts of the world. I think some of the legacy EU and US airlines have a real problem balancing the needs of premium passengers vs those of their elites.

I've interlined SQ to PL before no problems, yet BA-AA across 3 hubs is a problem Don't forget this was all booked on a single PNR by US airways!

Originally Posted by Duke787
Great start to the TR! Looking forward to seeing your impressions of the Hilton Niseko. I went skiing there with the gf back in March (a TR I need to get around to writing).

We loved the skiing but were sorely disappointed by the food options both on and off property (had the worst sushi I've ever had in Japan in Niseko Village).
You'll have to stick around and see I partially agree with some of what you've said.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jermyn
We said we'd like to check in for our flight. She took a moment, looked at us and said "This is first class". "Thanks, we're in the right place then", I said.
I liked this conversation

Nice start to what looks like a very interesting trip. I'm always jealous when I see someone has been to Japan, loved my time there earlier this year.

I look forward to reading more.

Edited to add - your Katz recommendation has been added to my list for my 'Viking' trip to NY in May.

Last edited by DaveNCL; Aug 23, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thanks for your report. I flew on a 12 hour BA F flight this month from LHR to KUL. The check-in and boarding process is horrible. i had to wait 5 mins for a free check-in desk and I had to satnd in a queue to board. If you are paying over £3k for a ticket one does not expect to have to queue.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Whenever I read a Jermyn trip report, I feel like I'm looking at pictures out of GQ with ridiculously good looking people living a life far beyond my own. But I suppose that's because you don't chronicle commutes to work on the tube.

Great start so far!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:59 pm

Jermyn, great report as usual. Two questions:

1. What kind of boots are those? They look similar to a pair of Alden's I own. Can you share?
2 What kind of mount are you using for the GoPro shots in the cabin or are you just sitting the camera on a ledge, etc..?

Looking forward to the rest or your report.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Ahhhh, welcome back, I have a few favourite trip reporters, you are one of those. Very thorough as usual. I'm heading to NYC for Hogmanay and trying the A321T over to LAX on 01st January, so good to read reports about it. Thank you.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:42 pm

Nice report. That AA lady wasn't too pleasant.

Why no SQ report? I saw the pictures on your Instagram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.