Wiki Posts
Search

PAN AM - Gone but not forgotten at Monterey Car Week 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
PAN AM - Gone but not forgotten at Monterey Car Week 2015

I arrived on California's Central Coast on Monday to chase some classic cars during Monterey Car Week. I could bore you with travel details and my review of the Hyatt Regency Hotel & Spa on the Del Monte Golf Course (lovely fireside lounge, etc) ... but why do that when I can share this awesome find which I came across in the "patina" class at the Carmel Concours yesterday. A vintage Pan American World Airways cargo van!

You can tilt your head 90 degrees to the side and read the photo below or simply read the text here:

CARMEL BY THE SEA
Concours On The Avenue
Tuesday, August 11, 2015

1968 Volkswagen Transporter
(owned by: Mike Malamut, Thousand Oaks, California)

“The Transporter, especially the Double or Crew Cab was typically used as a shop truck or even racecar hauler by VW and Porsche dealers and repair shops during the 1960s. This one went to Pan American World Airways. The first Type 2 Transporter (TI Generation) came in 1950, the second (T2) in 1967 to be superceded by the (T3) in 1979. Visually, the major characteristics of the T2 generation van are the one-piece windshield – nicknamed Loaf or Bay – a change from the T1’s “split window” – Splitty – and “slightly heavier and rounded” profile. The motor is a 1.6-liter air-cooled 4-cylinder and the old Beetle’s “swing axle” rear-end is replaced with a “real” transaxle and half-shaft axles and constant velocity joints”

EDIT on 17 October 2015... Just saw this old VW Samba bus on Lufthansa's Facebook page. Check it out here.

https://www.facebook.com/lufthansa/p...type=3&theater

Last edited by AussieOzzie; Oct 17, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I was Platinum as a teenager and still have tons of Pan Am stuff (in fact, I started putting some on eBay this week as I'm running out of room).

No other airline like it!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Sweet ride! The original paint is what really sells it to me. Not so interested in old VW's but this one would definitely catch my eye. Thanks for posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.