The Life of a Travelling Account Man

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
That Moscow street would be called Arbat street. =) Some of the swankiest and most expensive shops and restaurants there. Glad you enjoyed the trip.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Phaze
What was the name of the restaurant?
That may be useful to the report! The first one was called Tvrandot and the second was SIXTY.

I have edited the days to add this, thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Week 6, Day 7

After a good night’s sleep I woke around 7am and called reception to see if I could get a late check out. They offered 2pm which worked well for me as I had a taxi booked at 1430 to take me back to the airport.

I had no plans for today and had decided to have a leisurely morning in my room rather than going out into Moscow. Normally I would think this a waste when visiting a city but with a busy week just passed and another ahead I need to think about other days also. With a late arrival home tonight and then an early start tomorrow to prepare for the week I need to preserve as much energy as possible.

I can see you.

My new favourite hotel feature. A bedside lamp which has no switch, you just hit it and it turns on or off.

On Friday I was slightly wishing I had been going home then but after the weekend I am more than pleased with my decision to stay on and see Moscow.

Whilst catching up on some news are started uploading my TR photos and writing my reports. Luckily I managed to get two days posted before 10am when I decided to go for breakfast. I was happy to have a late breakfast like yesterday as I would be getting my evening meal when flying back to AMS.

Upon checking in for my flight yesterday I noticed that website said the plane was a 738 back to AMS. I had booked the exit row again (16A) on the planned 739, the 738 the exit rows are 14 and 15. It wouldn’t let me change my seat anyway so I had to accept my fate. This morning I checked Flightaware to see that it was a 739 on its way to SVO, I was reassured I would have a little more room for the 3.5 hour flight.

After breakfast I wrote more of my TR and packed my case ready for check out. When checking out the same lady who upgraded me was working at reception. I thanked her again for the upgrade and waited for my taxi in the bar with a cappuccino.

As it did on Friday the taxi took 45 minutes to get back to the airport, upon arrival I signed the form (the taxi was ordered through my company) but he would not accept any money. I am guessing it must be billed centrally, with the same set up on Friday I paid going into Moscow. Deciding not to argue too much I accepted and took my case. It worked out rather well as I only had around 1200 Roubles left of cash. The fare going into Moscow was slightly over this so I was expecting to need to use my card. It looks like I will have a few Roubles ready for my next trip.

Route SVO-AMS
Flight Number 904
Departure 1700 (Actual 1655)
Arrival 1910 (Actual approx 1910)
Seat 16A (Economy exit seat)
Aircraft 739

I eventually found my way to the gates with no help from the signs through to passport checks and security. I chose the wrong queue as of the two desks open as my line just stopped. When I did get to the desk I was told I needed a paper boarding card so it could be stamped, not the Passbook option. It would have been nice if KLM had mentioned this when checking in.

I retraced my steps to the self service machines to print out my boarding pass. Having already queued I went through the diplomat channel, which fortunately wasn’t an issue, others seemed to be using it without difficulty.

The lounge was well appointed with some decent drinks options and a few food choices. I managed to make a sandwich out of some of them and found a seat with some good views of the apron.

This lounge was pretty big with several seating areas, sleep rooms and showers. I wouldn’t have minded spending longer in here if needed.

Boarding was announced in the lounge but by the time I got there most of the queue was already formed. Luckily priority boarding was being enforced so I made my way around and was third onto the plane. Nicely timed!

A decent meal was served again but I only ate the starter and main as it had not been long since I ate in the lounge.

I spent all flight working on my laptop, clearing email, doing pre work for Tuesday and writing this. This passed the time nicely.

On arrival we were parked at a bus gate where we got dropped off at an arrival area I have never been through before. I’ve been flying KLM for several years, with many bus trips and never been through this way. I guess it could be new with the reconfiguration of the security halls.

It slightly caught me out as I had to go through security again, I have already put my liquids to the bottom of my bag and had to fish them out in a hurry.

Route AMS-NCL
Flight Number 971
Departure 2205 (Actual 2213)
Arrival 2220 (Actual 2215)
Seat 11D (Economy exit seat)
Aircraft 737

I made my way towards the lounge, stopping off to look in a few shops. I was tempted to buy a Tumi small laptop case but I refrained, it did mention my bag obsession early on.

In the lounge I had time to post another day of my TR and reply to a few comments. Then finished off by checking up on a few daily tasks like looking at my bank account to make sure I still had some money. It’s funny how if you are away these small things sort of pass you by. Luckily my balance was as expected and I managed to pay a credit card bill. I also just remembered before I typed this that it is Sunday today. I am thinking it is a weekday, I must be going crazy.

As always the lounge empties out around 2030 so there are not many people left in when I leave.

No issues on the flight home, we were slightly late departing due to a catering issue. I am not sure how long it takes to load a few crisps and biscuits but never mind.

New KLM snack

Once off the plane I was through passport control and on my way home.

After arriving home at 2300 I decided it would be best to do my clothes washing now so that it would have time to dry overnight. One load was put into the washing machine and I watched a bit of news. By midnight I was in bed and ready to do it all again tomorrow.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Welcome home from Moscow! The Speculoos windmill cookie is so cute. About time that company has expanded their product line. I can't eat them any longer (health/diet) but boy did I love them way back when.

The Sixty restaurant is quite spectacular. Amazing views. This is getting a bit personal but whose office pays for these meals? A was a very ace guide and hopefully you will be able to work together again in the future.

I'm still amazed that Klm works so well with NCL for early and late flights.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I'm going through some serious withdrawal. What's happening? And I loved a lot of the David Lodge novels which may be why I'm enjoying this TR so much.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: BA G , SPG Plt
Great pictures from Moscow. i hope you enjoyed my home city.

Just small notices
Street name is Arbat not Albert.
GBP 1 is approximately RUB 100
So RUB 3500 is GBP 35.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
So I'm going through some serious withdrawal. What's happening? And I loved a lot of the David Lodge novels which may be why I'm enjoying this TR so much.
I'm sorry, work and travel really caught up with me last week with a full week on a training course and then trying to keep up with regular work.

Currently sat in Madrid airport waiting to fly home, I will hopefully do an update on this flight.

Originally Posted by DLmow
Great pictures from Moscow. i hope you enjoyed my home city.

Just small notices
Street name is Arbat not Albert.
GBP 1 is approximately RUB 100
So RUB 3500 is GBP 35.
My mistake it would have been 350 RUB.

Welcome home from Moscow! The Speculoos windmill cookie is so cute. About time that company has expanded their product line. I can't eat them any longer (health/diet) but boy did I love them way back when.

The Sixty restaurant is quite spectacular. Amazing views. This is getting a bit personal but whose office pays for these meals? A was a very ace guide and hopefully you will be able to work together again in the future.

I'm still amazed that Klm works so well with NCL for early and late flights.
If having a meal after a working day then the person in the more superior role (I have re wrote this several times but I think you get the point) would have paid, which would have been me. This gets a bit complicated between countries, etc., but I'm not one to argue. At the end of the day the company will pick up the bill at some level.

However for these meals I paid personally as I was staying for the weekend through personal choice rather than on company business. This is the same for my hotel and day expenses.

I have not been on a quiet NCL-AMS (or reverse) flight in quite a while, last Friday they were collecting hand luggage to put in the hold before boarding had even started. Monday morning was the same however they needed to do this on the plane which delayed us slightly.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: LCAH Gold
Hi Dave,

Hopefully we'll have the chance to carry on with your very impressive TR. See you soon !

Cheers,
Florian
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:42 am

Thanks for this incredibly detailed and interesting TR.

I was drawn to it because of the Geordie connection but when the back of my head appeared in an earlier post on a photo taken at St James's Park, it made me think it's a small world as I sit in the row in front of you at St James's...

I missed the Chelsea game due to being on a tier point run to Chengdu, but that's another story!

You come across as having a very sensible and streetwise view of life and I hope you find the time to continue with the thread.

Cheers,

Chris
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Btw I saw (USA cable Telly) some of the 2-2 NCL-Chelsea (or was it Sunderland?) match while visiting a friend on Saturday night. He's a big footie fan and had highlights - I instantly thought of Dave and hoped that you were ok with the match. My friend said that these were arch rivals but I can't recall if opponent was Chelsea or Sunderland.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

All, thanks for your comments.

I'm still here, just, but work is going crazy at the minute. With that and all the travel I just haven't had the chance to write or update this. I feel so guilty.

I have two parts nearly ready to go, they would have been posted last Friday if the KLM lounge in AMS had wifi which was quick enough to access Photobucket.

Current sat in the BA lounge waiting for the 0605 to LHR on my way to BUD. Back to BA now that FB Gold is secured for another year.

Hopefully back very soon,
Dave
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buaires
Hi Dave,

Hopefully we'll have the chance to carry on with your very impressive TR. See you soon !

Cheers,
Florian
Thanks again Florian.

Originally Posted by G_CIVV
Thanks for this incredibly detailed and interesting TR.

I was drawn to it because of the Geordie connection but when the back of my head appeared in an earlier post on a photo taken at St James's Park, it made me think it's a small world as I sit in the row in front of you at St James's...

I missed the Chelsea game due to being on a tier point run to Chengdu, but that's another story!

You come across as having a very sensible and streetwise view of life and I hope you find the time to continue with the thread.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris, thanks for posting. Had you not put your name I would have been guessing, but with that I know who you are. You missed a better game on Saturday, certainly better than the match we were subjected to against Watford.

You probably know but I sit one row behind and one seat to the right with my Dad. Hopefully this shows I'm not just as a load mouthed football fan. I can get a little disgruntled at times, mainly due to people like Sissoko not trying hard enough!

I will probably need a TP run later in the year but HEL will probably do me!

Btw I saw (USA cable Telly) some of the 2-2 NCL-Chelsea (or was it Sunderland?) match while visiting a friend on Saturday night. He's a big footie fan and had highlights - I instantly thought of Dave and hoped that you were ok with the match. My friend said that these were arch rivals but I can't recall if opponent was Chelsea or Sunderland.
gaobest I should wash your mouth out with the Sunderland comment! It was Newcastle v Chelsea and for only the second time this season we played well and I enjoyed the match.

The Sunderland match is later in October, I'll try and get some photos of that one so you can see the rivalry. Hopefully a few police horses and riot vans my be lined up!

To give a run down of my week:- BUD until Thursday, training session Friday, away match on Saturday and then fly to the Algarve for a conference from Sunday to the following Thursday. The next day (Friday) I'm on holiday to Toronto for 6 days. If all else fails I have the 7 hour flight to catch up but I hope it doesn't take that long!

Anyway got to go as we are just about to take off. Hopefully more later when I get to my hotel in BUD, time permitting.

P.s Thank god this has moved to page 5, saves loading all those photos each time.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Week 7, Day 1

So this morning was all about re packing, catching up on a little work and hosting a customer call.

I was pleased I had stayed up last night to do my washing. By 0730 my shirts were dry and I managed to finish drying socks in front of the radiator.

A light breakfast of a bagel and green tea was taken when doing some work. It was light simply due to the fact I had nothing else in!

Fortunately this all was all completed quickly and easily so I made my customer call. This is a bit more challenging but I can start to plan what needs doing.

The next week will be difficult with the upcoming training course and fitting in general work but I feel I am in a good place to start at the minute.

I re-packed my case, 4 shirts, 2 jackets, 2 trousers and some shoes. I included 2 evening tops and I was ready to go, travelling casual today. Strange that whenever I travel casual I feel underdressed.

Route NCL-AMS
Flight Number 960
Departure 1310 (Actual 1310)
Arrival 1530 (Actual approx 1520)
Seat 15C (Economy seat)
Aircraft E190

As I was ready by 1115 I decided to leave as I was just wandering around my flat. The normal 15 minute drive was followed by a quick walk through security and onto the Aspire Lounge.

Outside was a sign saying the lounge was full, I did wonder if this would affect me but it didn't. A couple in front either wanting to buy access or who had bought access online were turned away. Around this time the Emirates flight departs so it was busy, although I don't think any busier than a morning where lots of people buy access before a charter flight. I noticed that Emirates passengers were being directed to the Aspire Plus section. Not sure if this is just first class, business passengers or all entitled passengers.

As my breakfast was light I was hoping for some food in the lounge. The only options were crisps and soup so that’s what I had. Not great but it would keep me going a bit longer. I should have bought a sandwich really, my company is certainly saving on expenses with lounge access.

The gate was announced 30 minutes before departure and boarding had started when I got to the gate.

The flight was spent playing New Star Soccer on my iPhone and reading some saved pages from my reading list.

We arrived at the Fokker farm and were bussed to the D gates. Fortunately there was no repeat of the drop off yesterday.

Route AMS-DUS
Flight Number 1861
Departure 1645 (Actual 1710)
Arrival 1735 (Actual approx 1800)
Seat 15C (Economy seat)
Aircraft E190

Passport control had a long queue with only 3 desks open.

I had enough time to stop by the lounge as I wanted my Flying Blue contact information changed. When I tried to do this online it wouldn't let me submit a new phone number without inputting a new email address.

10 minutes later I walked down to the gate and boarding started shortly after. My Rimowa case was gate checked as expected. It is the first time I have checked this case so it was like watching your child going through the school gates for the first time when I left it at the bottom of the stairs. Note, I don't have children so perhaps I am overplaying the importance of children, I'm not sure.

We were a little delayed due to a thunderstorm halting ground operations and then once we had taxied to the runway we allowed a plane to land which had declared an emergency.

The flight was a quick 40 minutes and we ended up 20 minutes behind schedule. My colleague was also delayed so it didn't make any difference to me.

First mistake in Düsseldorf was I ended up buying a dark chocolate Snickers. Who makes this stuff? Wrong, just wrong.

I had to buy a milk chocolate coin to remove the foul taste.

My case survived.

After a 15 minute taxi ride we arrived at the Renaissance Hotel in Dusseldorf. Check in was quick but the room was a little bit of a come down after my suite in Moscow. My experience of German hotels is not great, this one was booked by my company as part of the training course.

We agreed to meet down in reception within 15 minutes, so I unpacked and ironed my shirts ready for the week.

You need to pay for wifi at this hotel unless you are a Marriott Rewards member. When I got to the room I quickly registered and returned to reception on our way out to add my new number to the reservation and I was granted free wifi access.

Newcastle United were playing tonight so first issue was to find a bar showing the game. We took a taxi to the Altstadt and decided to eat at Cafe Madrid which served Tapas. Quite why when I am in Madrid next week I am not sure. The tapas were really poor and it got even worse when I spotted a mouse running around the dining room. The waiter didn’t appear too bothered when I pointed this out to him.

Luckily there was a bar across the street showing the match so we relocated and got a beer. Another dreadful game which we lost 2-0, after the game we finished our drinks and took a taxi back to the hotel. I got into bed around 2345.

Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Week 7, Days 2-5

This week would be spent attending a training course, due to a fairly regular daily pattern I have grouped the remaining days together. There are only so many times I can write about what time I woke and what time we stopped for lunch.

The course was attended by around 25 people from several divisions within my company. I am very friendly with the one other person from my division on the course which helped throughout the week.

The training started at 0830 each morning and tended to finish around 1730. I was trying to keep on top of regular work each day so this didn’t leave much spare time. We had breaks mid morning and afternoon which allowed a quick check on email and also an hour lunch break at 1230.

Normally my colleague and I would relocate to the bar around 1730 to continue working through until 7pm and then decide on our evening dining options. There were no formal evening plans but on the first night we did arrange a group dinner in the restaurant at 1930. When I arrived for this half the group was in the bar and the other half were already eating. After a drink we went to the buffet which needed some imagination in order to create a meal. Options were limited and really for the main there was only beef and a sweet potato stew. Upon seeing this I suggested we move back to the bar to take a look at the bar menu, I went with the club sandwich from the bar menu.

On Wednesday my colleague and I had arranged a meal with some of our German office team so we headed back into Dusseldorf to meet them at a pre arranged restaurant. There were seven of us out in total and we had an enjoyable night. We faced the same trouble as the previous night where no taxi wanted to take credit card for payment. Eventually we found a willing driver who then proceeded to ask me to fill out all the card details as we were driving back. He also had the nerve to remind me to include tip. As I was doing all the work except driving the tip went to me or rather saved the company a small expense.

For dinner on the Thursday night we headed to a street full of Japanese restaurants in Dusseldorf. Until the previous night we didn’t know this existed, despite visiting Dusseldorf around 4 times a year. Apparently Dusseldorf has the biggest Japanese community outside Japan. We both fancied Sushi (we had a recommendation) so we made a booking for the only time available at 2045 when working at the bar that evening.
We soon realised that this was going to be too late so we cancelled and decided to take our luck along the street. The taxi dropped us outside our original restaurant so we went in and played ignorant. Initially we were told they were full but as we tried to say we would wait or take a bar seat they eventually found us a free table. We arrived just in time as a queue soon developed at the door. They should have booked, lol!

€25 for all you can eat and you order your dishes from the iPad. We could order 10 dishes every 15 minutes, which didn’t seem a lot to begin with but we soon found our stride.

By Friday the week was becoming long, not due to the course but after nearly two weeks away from home I was beginning to get weary. Not helping this was my room temperature each night which seemed to get hotter as the week progressed, even with me turning the air con temperature lower and the fan higher.

Lunch each day was a buffet with several hot station where dishes were prepared fresh by the staff.

Overall the course content was excellent, I have worked with this trainer before and he is someone I can really learn from. It made me rethink how I approach customer presentations, new prospects and how to detail our solutions. We were proactive in changing our seats each morning which allowed us to get to know more people across the days. In the past this would have been something I hated but I really enjoyed getting to know others. Confidence is something I feel I lack but I have noticed a small change over the past few weeks.

Originally when booking these flights we were told not to book a flight before 1830, this would mean needing to stay another night as I couldn’t make a connection back to NCL. As always happens with these arrangements there is someone who is booked on an earlier flight, normally leaving me thinking I could have done the same to save staying another night or waiting for a late flight. On this occasion it was going to be my colleague and me who would be doing this as our flight was at 1800 and 1810 respectively. As I had guessed there was also someone booked on the same flight as me and also an earlier flight. We finished around 1500 and my plan was proved correct.

Route DUS-AMS
Flight Number 1862
Departure 1810 (Actual 1810)
Arrival 1900 (Actual approx 1900)
Seat 10C (Economy seat)
Aircraft E190

We took a taxi to the airport with another person from our course. My colleague needed to drop by the BA desk to pick up a boarding pass and then we made our way through to the Hugo Jonkers lounge, I signed in the extra person as he was taking the same flight back to AMS.

Nothing really of note happened on this short hop. A fellow passenger was arguing about needing to gate check his case, even though everyone else was doing the same. He ended up bringing his case on board, it just shows being an arse can pay off.

When I boarded a lady was in my seat, she seemed shocked when I told her and she moved to 10A. I am not sure how you can be in the wrong seat when you should be in an ‘A’ seat, once again people’s brains seem to scramble with letters and numbers on planes and trains.

On arrival we took the bus to the terminal and I headed to the lounge and continue catching up on work before the weekend.

Route AMS-NCL
Flight Number 971
Departure 2205 (Actual 2213)
Arrival 2220 (Actual 2215)
Seat 11D (Economy exit seat)
Aircraft 737

After 2 hours in the lounge I decided to head to the gate as I was sick of sitting down. Even though I arrived 55 minutes before our flight there was already a queue for sky priority. It really grates on me when people queue for a queue. I needed to decide if I would stand elsewhere or stand in the queue as the gate was already busy. As I was standing either way I decided it made sense to break my rule and queue. At this time staff were proactively gate checking cabin cases for all passengers with no sky priority status. Once again the flight was full and uneventful and we were back into Newcastle slightly early.

Once through passport control my next challenge was to find my car. I couldn’t quite remember where I had parked but eventually I found my car, exited the car park and stopped for milk and bananas on the way home.

I was too tired to unpack so I watched TV for a while before heading to bed, another busy week completed and I have it all to do again on Monday morning.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Week 7, Days 6&7

The weekend was spent catching up on household tasks and getting ready to go away on Monday to Madrid.

Once again I was subjected to Newcastle playing appallingly on Saturday which didn’t really get the weekend off to the best start but the rest went as expected.

By Sunday I was repacking for an early departure on Monday to do it all again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.