Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

If not now, when? (Thailand, Western Europe, Eastern Europe & Balkans)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If not now, when? (Thailand, Western Europe, Eastern Europe & Balkans)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lizzie1715
[ Have you ever been to Mostar? You seem very well informed. Do you have any suggestions to where we might go on our next trip? Maybe somewhere that has interesting history like this one.
No I haven't been to Mostar or to the Adriatic coast yet, which is one of the reasons I am enjoying your Balkan TR. I am very interested in WW2 history especially in the Balkans, so I would probably recommend Jajce as a historical place I would like to visit in that part of the Balkans . Looking forward to more reports.[/QUOTE]

Oh you will love the Adriatic!! Maybe on a future trip sometime soon! We will have to have a look at Jajce next time when we do more of Bosnia and the Balkans! Thank you Lizzie1715! :-::-::-:
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Reasons why we love Dubrovnik, a hidden beach and being a good Samaritan in Dubrovnik

Our last day in Dubrovnik was filled with more adventure. We visited a beach we had previously found and loved, located near an abandoned hotel it shows the crystal clear waters of Croatia and the picturesque beaches. We visited the old town and saw more of the sights, made some friends and finally we did the walk back to Lapad one last time as the sun went down Dubrovnik is such a beautiful city and so many tourists all over the world come to visit and you'll see more of reasons why we love Dubrovnik! the photos speak for themselves!

Walking to the Old town again

More purple flowers, quintessential Dubrovnik!

The old town, so many people all around.

This amazing church again! I can't get enough!

The main street - called Stradun. The Adriatic has the most panoramic views in the world!

This is all in the middle of the old town!!!

A look through Dubrovnik

This is paradise

More palm trees! It's too beautiful!

Banje Beach one of the most popular beaches in Dubrovnik located near the old town.

We decided to walk to the beautiful hidden beach we had found before.

So many vines, it's too romantic!!

Last year when we visited Dubrovnik, we stayed near the old town and had to climb these steps. There were over 500 steps to get from the apartment to the old town, but the view from the apartment was amazing. However, when you went down to the old town, you stayed all day - there was no turning back under any circumstance. We still have recurring nightmares from those steps. Tip: always check how many steps there is to climb!! The stairs are steep especially when you are on a budget and when you can't afford a taxi!!

A very nice school zone

We think this is a synagogue it is so beautiful and surrounded by fence with Jewish stars. A beautiful architectural masterpiece.

More of the synagogue

We walked further only to find this stunning building. Is there any building here that isn't quaint and amazing!

A little church along the walk

The view of the old town

Our favourite beach in Dubrovnik, located further out from the old town and so picturesque.

On the beach, one of the best things about Croatia is just about everywhere serves cocktails on the beach.

Walking back we saw this little cutie! A tiny kitten, the poor thing was so small and scared. It just wanted to follow us, I just wanted to take it back home!!!! The stereotype is true girls love kittens.

These vines are so beautiful, there is nothing more spectacular to me personally than these. I've never in my life seen so many vines!!

Back to the old town

Having walked to our favourite beach and spent time working on our tan, we decided to walk to the top of the old town. We were quickly running out of time and daylight, we needed to hurry this along, unfortunately!

Up to the top we go!

This is the church at the top, as you can see well worth the walk up!

Intricacy and detail

An orthodox church in Dubrovnik

More steps to the top - walkers beware.. glad we didn't stay in the old town! Poor yugo_boy's arms would have got a workout (I should be taking them up myself, but he's too much of a gentleman!).

Having walked all the way up, we sat on the steps to rest.. when we noticed a little lady struggling to get her suitcases up the steps. We walked down and yugo_boy being the gentleman he is did the gentlemany thing..

Yugo_boy carried both the suitcases of this small woman and her sister!! I said it once I'll say it again! That boy is just too good!!! (he would not be happy if he had any say in this post hehe. But I couldn't help myself! Seems he just cannot avoid carrying suitcases up stairs! It turns out the lady was Singaporean. She was so grateful, after flying to 5 different airports and travelling for 35 hours, her sister had unknowingly booked an apartment in the old town right up the top of the Dubrovnik! She was so grateful that she gave us her number and insisted we come stay with her in Singapore.

The walk back to the apartment, some Roman-like architecture!

More vines!

A perfect sunset for a great day!

This ends our little adventure in Dubrovnik, which was much too short. We are off to Budva! :-::-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Sep 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by YU_GO_GONE

Walking back we saw this little cutie! A tiny kitten, the poor thing was so small and scared. It just wanted to follow us, I just wanted to take it back home!!!! The stereotype is true girls love kittens.
Not only girls Let´s count: 2 Dogs, 1 kitten - a lot of lagguage to carry....
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not only girls Let´s count: 2 Dogs, 1 kitten - a lot of lagguage to carry....
Hahaha.. too much luggage! thank goodness for yugo_boy!! there was actually 2 kittens but they kept moving towards the camera we couldn't take a proper photo, they were too cute!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Bingeing on Balkan Stodge in Budva the land of 50%-80% off! everything

We travelled from Dubrovnik to Budva by bus, this was about $35 per person. For those travelling to Budva, we made the mistake of cooking in Dubrovnik and eating out in Budva. This we should have reversed, because the cuisine in Dubrovnik is modern and caters nicely to eating out, however in Budva the cuisine tends to be more of the same - heavy food, where most of the restaurants are nice but not exceptional. Nonetheless, the cocktails in Budva were better than some places in Croatia. We tend to budget about $100 a day including al transport, sights, etc but in the Adriatic we usually spend about $60. This report is a accumulation of 3 days of Budva and food just in case you think we ate 4 times in the day! We went back to some places to eat like the WOW bar and the Juice Bar because they had the most modern cuisine.

Our accommodation in Budva - $53 per night (called nice one bedroom apartment).

The bathroom

The living room

This apartment was located close to the centre of old town budva about a 15 min walk. This was perfect for us because there were not a lot of steps, the host came and picked us up and it was centrally located on the first floor, meaning yugo_boy finally got a break from carrying luggage up stairs!

The view outside our apartment

Yugo_boy leading the way down to the old town

Some ice cream from the centre of Budva

In the old town of Budva

Some drinks at the watermelon juice and mint and berry. The mint and berry was nice but the watermelon should be left to the Sukosol in Bangkok. These were not cheap by Budva standards (about 6 euro each). Not worth getting a juice here.

Club sandwich - nice.

Goat cheese salad

Some sights in the old town

Walking the streets of Budva you notice something strange occuring.. everything is 50-80% discounted!

More 50% discounts!!!

50-60% discounts!

This is absurd! because as you walk into the shops everything is 400-500 euro reduced heavily!

And you can never know whether any of the designer clothes are real.. always a guessing game.

The famous view of Budva old town - however we just came from Dubrovnik! The old town is small but quaint however a little tacky with all the souvenir shops and big discount signs.

Ballet Dancer Statue, very beautiful.

Mogren Beach

Some cocktails at Dukley beach club - 6 euro each.

Walking through the centre where all the clubs are.

Afternoon snack at the WOW bar which was very nice. In previous years I had bragged to yugo_boy about how Caesar salad in Budva was the best meal in my life (a bit of an overstatement), needless to say he made me order it multiple times.

Pizza at the Wow bar - It was about 25 euro for all this and drinks.

Balkan ambiance at the Wow bar - looking like a club with neon lights.

Back in the old town

Slovenska plaza (slovenska beach)- this is the tourist beach which is not that nice and the locals did not recommend to go here. The locals said they mainly go to Becici and Jaz.

Slovenska plaza (beach)

Slovenska plaza - storms in the background

Walking all the way left of the Slovenska Plaza you see this.

Some beautiful vines inside the old town at night.

The church in the old town

The Marina at night

Dinner at Restaurant Lim

Caesar salad -this was the worst Caesar salad we have had. It didn't live up to it's reputation! yugo_boy rated this a 0/10.

A pizza - 7/10. About 23 euro all up.

Crno gorski tanjir (Montenegrin platter) -18 euro at the Juice Bar in the centre.

Some drinks at the Juice Bar in the centre

Palacinke (Pancakes) with Evrokrem (EuroKream: my favourite balkan version of Nutella) and ice cream -yummmmmmm!

banoffee pie with slag (no that's not slag as in a lady of dubious morals but a balkan mock cream pronounced Shlag). This was amazing! Yugo_boy gave this a 10/10.

Budva old town lit up in all its neon excellence.

More discounts!

Cocktails at the Ice Bar which seemed very nice in the centre but both were terrible. We would not recommend going here (even if tripadvisor says different, it was not nice).

Walking past the old town we saw these girls singing and were entranced by their beautiful voices. They were led by Biljana Krstic who is a Serbian singer and studied music at the Belgrade University of Arts. Their voices were so beautiful. The girls sang Macedonian and Serbian songs perfectly, surprisingly their Macedonian was fluent and amazing!! We wish they had a CD!

More posts to come from Budva!!!! :-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Sep 29, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

The 9km walk to Sveti Stefan: 75 euro beaches and an island that no one can get on

In Budva just about everyone is multilingual and everything is in Montenegrin, English and Russian! Some signs are purely in Russian which is not unusual because if you can read Cyrillic you can understand the gist of Russian. During our time in Budva we decided to do visit Sveti Stefan, rather than catch the bus there we decided to do the 9km walk to the beautiful location. This is the best way to get a feel for Budva and the surrounding towns. It shows another side to Budva, apart from being the eastern european party scene, with average food and discount shops there is so much more to Budva!

We started our walk in the old town and it was a perfect day to walk!

A stop for a little ice cream

This leads into the Slovenska Plaza, one of the reasons the locals said the water isn't clean and suggested elsewhere.

To start the walk you head all the way to the left from the old town and keep walking.

Until you get to this tunnel, and you walk all the way through. All the art seen is in serbo-croatian and russian.

Yugo_boy making photos more picturesque since 2015 :-:

When you come out of the tunnel you reach this scene, where you keep walking straight ahead.

Eventually you reach the other side where there are other beaches.

We walked up a little gate to see this church, this is off the path of the walk.

Near Becici the views are becoming more and more picturesque and Budva becoming very photogenic!

Eventually you reach Plaza Djevistenje

Rock formations at Plaza Djevistenje in Rafailovici

You have to keep walking straight and pass through another tunnel!

This tunnel is very cave like and interesting it links Rafailovici with Kamenovo.

When you come out the tunnel you reach another beach

You walk these steps

Keep walking and come out to this amazing view!

In order to get to Przno you need to walk down a highway and then enter at a staircase where you walk down and keep walking as yugo_boy demonstrates here!

Przno is one of the most quaint little places, we didn't even know it existed! Moving further away from Budva it just more and more beautiful!

The beaches are much nicer here!

We couldn't believe it! Naturally beautiful! Crna Gora was bringing it's best!

We ate lunch at Przno, this was the view from the restaurant!

Il Brodetto Restaurant

More of Il Brodetto

Little fish at Il Brodetto, there was so many of them!

Grilled squid! Delicious!

Squid ink pasta with prawns! We were sceptical at first but we really wanted to try it and it was fantastic here!! The seafood here was very nice! Yugo_boy gave the squid ink a 10/10! That's two 10/10 in budva.

It all cost about 25 euro! Very cheap and this was the best meal we ate in the municipality of Budva!

All while enjoying this view!

If you keep walking you reach this hotel

Beautiful walk through the forest

The beach in front of the King's residence in Milocer Bay

The King's residence - stunning!

Need I say more?

The amazing King's residence

As though you are a world away from Budva!

The price for using this beach! 75 euro per person!!

75 euro view of royalty

If you continue on walking you'll reach these trees

A last look

Finally the 9km view! Sveti Stefan!!

Finally we arrived at Sveti Stefan and an amazing view worth the walk

Another 75 euro beach! This is crazy! Australia has much nicer beaches which are all free of charge!! This place is Montenegrin attempt at Monte Carlo! Attempt being the operative word!

The view was worth the walk but we walked thinking we could enter the island and see the old town. After this encounter we read the reviews on Sveti Stefan only to find others who were in the same predicament, complained of the deceptive nature of Montenegro putting photos up of Sveti Stefan as though anyone could enter the island.
During the time of Former Yugoslavia the island was a hotel but anyone could enter (we know people who visited for during this time). However, the Montenegrin government has leased it out for 30 years to a hotel chain (Aman) who charges almost $1000 per night. This is the average Montenegrin monthly salary and the only way you can enter is by staying at the hotel or having dinner at the hotel which is VERY difficult to get reservations at, as we tried and failed just so we could see the island. Ironically enough though, the only people who can afford to visit the island are foreigners and the Montenegrins can only essentially visit as workers at the hotel who serve the foreign guests. This is emblematic of what has happened post the fall of Yugoslavia. Tip: do not plan your trip around visiting Sveti Stefan unless you reserve months in advance the restaurant which is very pricey with average reviews.

We were however happy to enjoy a drink at the cocktail bar right in front of the view.

The walk back was just as captivating but we couldn't help but think of the privatisation that was in play and the irony of it all.

One last look at Sveti Stefan - Byeeee!!

One of my favourite views of the entire day and maybe one of the best in the whole trip in Przno!

Przno is one of the quaintest little towns I've seen. It looks more like Italy and less like Budva!

These sunsets!!

Rafailovici rock formations

Sunset love

Back to Budva near Slovenska Plaza

The best time to walk!

We were not very hungry after our walk so we only had Cevapi and salad at Konobar Knez in the old town.

Palacinke at the Wow bar with Nutella (2 euro).

We highly recommend doing this walk if you are in Budva it was one of the best walks we have been on! (and we have been on a lot of walks!!!). If you don't want to do the full 18km you can catch the bus back for 1 euro. But, we think the sunsets are we worth the walking which is pleasant and absolutely stunning!!! :-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Sep 30, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Lucky the walk was so nice, since you didn't get to set foot on the island. It looks lovely from up the hill, by the way:
https://instagram.com/p/qqh5-Ukp6n/?taken-by=mad_atta

Sadly, it's far from the only example of the Montenegrin government selling out in a big way to foreign money. The marina development for the uber-rich nearby at Tivat has to be seen to be believed...
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Lucky the walk was so nice, since you didn't get to set foot on the island. It looks lovely from up the hill, by the way:
https://instagram.com/p/qqh5-Ukp6n/?taken-by=mad_atta

Sadly, it's far from the only example of the Montenegrin government selling out in a big way to foreign money. The marina development for the uber-rich nearby at Tivat has to be seen to be believed...

Oh I didn't think anyone else had shared our opinions! we really wanted to see it as you probably did too.. Great photo and beautiful view on your Instagram! nice caption made me laugh.. The whole thing is unbelievable and deceptive because we know plenty of people that have visited before this occurred. I wonder what the people who want to visit the island for religious purposes do..
Thanks for sharing
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Bells ringing 167 times at 7 am in the beautiful old town of Kotor!

We travelled to Kotor from Budva by a bus which cost 3.50 euro each. We walked our suitcase from the bus stop to the old town where our Airbnb apartment was located and were met by the host who showed us our apartment in the old town. Arriving in Kotor you quickly realise it is nothing like Budva. It has a natural beauty to it that exceeds all expectation, from the gigantic mountains in the background to the fortress leading all the way to the top of a mountain peak. Kotor's old town is classy and understated similar but at the same time completely different from Dubrovnik. It is one of the most unique places we have been to, the more we learned and saw of it the more yugo_boy and myself both fell in love with Kotor.

The view from our apartment in the centre of the old town of Kotor.

Our old town apartment (Old town Boskovic Apartment) - $72 per night.

The most equipped apartment we have stayed at, providing tea, coffee, oil, salt, sugar. pasta to cook, plenty of towels, shampoo and even toothpaste. Definitely the best apartment we have stayed in. Nice and modern while at the same time in one of the oldest buildings in Kotor.

The view of our apartment at night.

A church in the old town

We don't know why there is a large girl on top of the Kotor old town.. I swear it is classy!!!

The main road in front of the old town

Time for an afternoon snack

Yes again, CEVAPI!!!! They were again delicious and only 2 euro 50 for a cevapi sandwhich with as many toppings as you wanted.

Old style charm

I mean seriously

The main cathedral in Kotor 12th century

We spent hours here getting lost and admiring buildings like these

The only place in the whole city where it says do not litter

Daily life in Kotor

The bell tower (possibly) that kept us up every morning. It first rang at 6 am 6 times, we thought that's ok back to sleep we go. It then rang again at 7 am for 167 times (that's not an exaggeration it did this every day and we counted).

The old town walls

Photos of photos nothing clicheed about that

Serbian orthodox church

Inside the orthodox church

Another possible suspect (ringing bell tower)

Inside a catholic church

Church upon church upon church, take me to church!

All this praying has made us thirsty, perfect there is a cocktail bar right behind the church !!

See!!

Aperol Spritz (3 euro) Blue Curacao (4 euro) not the best not the worst.

View of Kotor bay and the marina. I just love Marina's!!!

The view of the fortress and old town

Apparently(yeah right) there are sharks in the bay. This is a friendly warning

Back into the old town we go

Thank god no bells!

A little hello kitty ice cream for my little kitten!!

Now to work it off!!

The view from our apartment at night

Dinner is served!

We fell in love with the Kotor old town. The locals are very friendly and have a great sense of humour. Montenegrin's apparently have a reputation in the balkans for being just a little on the lazy side. One of the locals suggested that the bell rings 167 times in the morning because it is the only way to get the natives out of bed!!! We love it!! :-::-::-:
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Dobrota, an ancient castle and rescuing a damsel from her Indiana Jones Experience!

The plan for day 2 in Kotor was to head to Dobrota (meaning goodness/kindness) to emulate the exploits of Yugo_boy's dad when he was a yugo boy. We thought this would only take an hour or two and that we would have plenty of time to climb the fortress before sunset. I'm glad that we were wrong. We spent the entire day walking along the bay to Dobrota, it was stunning and the weather was perfect. We tackled the fortress after an afternoon siesta and helped an American lady who had tried to take a short cut and was stranded on the cliff face to be rescued. The view from the fortress is unforgettable and we loved doing this walk.

Couldn't resist two more photos of the old town

Bugger it one more!

The walk to Dobrota started with this view.

A bit of Yugoslav architecture never hurt anyone!!

The walk to Dobrota is full of quaint little houses with beautiful gardens.

The mountains behind Kotor

Top news in Montenegro a Serbian politician is a sex machine! eughh, god he was old too

Some balkan parking. We loved the repetitive, almost desperate cries of "makni se" and incessant use of horns as if that would move a stationary driverless vehicle.

Top tip: try to avoid requiring urgent medical care in Kotor. Those Lada's ain't going to get anywhere in a hurry

The weather was perfect and the bay was full of interesting ships

The walk along the promenade to Kotor

The walk along the promenade heading in the opposite direction to Dobrota

The architecture was distinctly Adriatic. With each mansion having beautiful shutters

Monument to the Yugoslav soldiers who died in world war 2

Another beautiful cathedral by the water

Quaint little beach. The walk to Dobrota is dotted with these all filled with locals no tourists in sight.

One of the daily cruise ships. Kotor is quite interesting in that during the day it is absolutely jam packed with cruise ship tourists who all leave the town at 4 pm, making the afternoon and evening hours the perfect time to explore the old town.

We can see why its called Montenegro

Palm trees and a mountainous backdrop can make any building look nice

Written above the entrance to the old town. "We don't want someone else's and we aren't giving ours away"- Tito. Unfortunately they did that a few years later.

Too much politics time for food. Pizzeria Pronto had DELICIOUS pizza, not that cheap for Montenegro but worth it!

6 euro for Kulen (Smoked salami)

Pizza Montenegro was the nicest pizza we had on the trip. The white blobs although looking extremely unappetising were blobs of delicious kajmak ( and made the pizza the best pizza we had on the trip so far.

Starting the walk up the fortress

Can you believe this is the view!!!! Mountains, streams, ships.. ahhhhh

As you can see the Serbian Orthodox church in the middle of the old town, the Yugo Petrol looms in the background.. with it's distinctive yugoslav architecture.

Up we go.. the view is getting better and better!!

It looks small but in actual fact it is a labyrinth, where you walk around in circles for ages and ages!!!!! we know from experience.. it is deceiving!!!

These fortifications are as old as 6th century from Illyrian times. It was also incorporates the architecture of Illyria, Byzantium, Venice, and Austria.

Stunning church!

Inside the little quaint church atop the fortress

The hills are alive with the sound of music!!!! they really should have filmed that movie in Kotor!!

As you can see the Yugo petrol building, still in view.. those Yugoslavs knew what they were doing when they built those huge eastern european concrete slabs. Ain't no knocking that down.

The old town looking very small now, you can imagine how high up we were at this stage!

On the right where there is a house like structure is where the we found the American lady who had been screaming "help me". The woman in the blue is the one who we called and who knew the American lady and calmed her enough to help her walk up. When the American lady got up she said thank you to the woman in the blue, who replied "the locals of Montenegro helped you", those Montenegrins were us!!!

These are the mountains!! on the right are the paths you can walk up!

Down on the left is yugo_boy with the husband of the American lady. This is near where the woman was, it is unbelievable that something like this would happen, she was found halfway down the mountain and had strayed off the path. A scary warning that people should stick to the path no matter how much you want to be Indiana Jones. it's a hollywood movie!

The fortifications of Kotor are so amazing, it's even better in reality!

The fortifications are apart of St John Castle.. it looks like something out of an Ancient history book.. We did not expect this..

We just cannot get enough of these castle walls!!!

And you can see why! Definitely one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited!!

You can see why this is a World Heritage Sites and the only culturally significant site in Montenegro.

Nearly at the top.. the Montenegrin flag sways in the wind perfectly, ideal for this photo on first take (just kidding, we took about 10 takes!).

The town lights up, the Bay of Kotor with it's ships shines bright like the cultural significance of Montenegro!!!

After a long trek up and a long one down in the night we went to dinner. Tip: do this walk about 4-5pm you get the daylight and the night time sunset. Dinner was at Konoba Trpeza.

The setup at Trpeza

As a speciality the chef made us local sardines.. unfortunately this the only thing we do not eat. We had to send it back.. it was the most embarrassing moment in a restaurant, the chef was very angry.. we could hear the pots and pans banging in the background. I should have put it in my clutch but I couldn't stomach the smell!

Beef carpaccio 9/10! Delish!!

Risotto with prawns 5/10

Pasta with prawns 9/10 - the seafood was so fresh! Overall experience 8/10!!

Dessert - palacinki with nutella!!! I couldn't help myself!! 9/10!

Blueberry cheesecake homemade! delicious!! 7/10.

We loved every moment of our ancient UNESCO World Heritage Site experience. It was an adventure but a very pleasant walk up! (much much easier than cinque terre!!). This is a must do in Kotor with a view of a lifetime! :-::-::-:
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Amazing Prcanj, soaking up the sun in Dobrota and the constant threat of sharks

Our last day in Kotor started with a trip to a cevapi place (Tanjga), a visit to Prcanj which is across the bay from Dobrota and a sun tan session at Dobrota which was one of the most memorable experiences because in Dobrota you can lay down anywhere near the water and watch the mystique of the mountains, the domineering beauty of the nature and loveliness of ambiance!

Our 2.50 euro cevapi

The prettiest building - yugo_boy photography, that boy is too talented.

Perfection

Boats in the bay

A cute little house

These green shutters must only be Montenegrin, we have yet to see them anywhere else.

Montenegrin architecture - like something out of a movie or a tom and jerry background shot.

Amazing!

So many vines, it's unreal how beautiful this place is! these are the photos from Mujo a little village before Prcanj!

Oh, just one more of these for good measure! (but really, I just like it a lot).

A little church

A quite large mansion!

In memory of the WW2 soldiers who fought for the county

I can't believe we were here!!! My favourite photo!!

A zastava commonly known as Fico (ficho).

A little beach

And for those who don't want to use the beaches here is a 4 star hotel with a pool in Prcanj!!

Yugo_boy dipping his toes (in this case his hands) in the water to check the temp but more notably, yugo_boy is looking very handsome if I do say so myself! (once again, thank god he's not reading this right now!!!!).

The view of place where we stopped to soak up the sun in Dobrota!!

We love our sun!!!!!

The water looking like liquorice

Once again, a kind reminder.. there are sharks (really... is there really a threat?).

Dinner at Galion

Some butter and olive oil

Pasta with prawns in white wine saucem- 9/10

Squid with vegetables -9/10

Beef steak with various vegetables -8/10.. Overall a very nice restaurant the entire meal cost about $80 with wine.

We loved our experiences in Kotor, everything about it was beautiful and distinctive. We would definitely recommend putting Kotor down as a place you must visit! We are sad to leave!! It has definitely become one of our favourite places!!! The next TR will include Serbia and Macedonia!!! We are excited to explore more of the balkans! :-::-::-:
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:55 am

Absolutely fantastic trip report! One of the best I have ever read on Flyertalk. Quick question, if you had to choose between Hvar and Brac, what would be your choice?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Yugo Stars, Yugo Planes and Yugo Skies: Tivat to Skopje via Belgrade

We travelled from Kotor to Tivat Airport in a taxi (8 euro) our first taxi of the entire trip. We try to avoid them as much as possible but there was no other transportation to the airport (we checked the buses! they don't stop at Tivat Airport). The people told us if you get dropped off at Tivat you can walk to the Airport easily, it's just 4km.. usually we would be fine with this but the luggage is heavy and we had got up at 5:30am. We didn't to risk missing the flight. The flight from Tivat flew to Belgrade (Beograd) then Skopje (costing $150 AU per person) with Air Serbia.

Origin: Tivat Airport, Montenegro
Destination: Belgrade, Nikola Tesla Airport
Airline: Air Serbia (AvioLet)
Aircraft: Boeing 737-300
Flight Number: JU 181

Tivat Airport! Tip: ask a taxi driver the previous day to wait for you if you have an early flight. Sometimes there are not

We arrived at Tivat airport 2 hours early.. this is all there was to see.. I got yelled at for taking photos.

Arrivals and departures.. mainly to beograd and moscow.

We stopped at the only coffee shop in the entire airport to get a drink (i.e. sit down while using the free wifi), however it was less of a coffee shop and more of a ghetto club.. with VERY loud English rap music from 5 years ago blaring.. we thought we had mistakenly entered. The prices of the drinks were exorbitant with a drink costing $6-7 AU!

Belavia from Belarus flying to Minsk!

AvioLet!!! Our plane!

Walking on the tarmac

YU-ANK, beautiful plane!

A window seat for me!

Our serbian flight attendants looked exactly like the stunning girls in the Air Serbia Magazine: tall, beautiful, elegant to the hilt.. as yugo_boy put it failed models who decided to change careers. A long way off the former Jat flight attendants who would be standing out the back looking officious signing documents (we love Jat!).

The Air Serbia Magazine and a Safety brochure

Wow! Looks exactly like a google image.. I swear it's not a google image!

Leg room.. pretty good.. for me.

No.. not the Maldives..

These in air ones are my faveeee!

A little Air Serbia snack, this is the best idea! With the little water bottle.. Speaking from a point as a person who drinks 7L of water day (hyperbole). Instead of holding my 20 cups of water like a fool, as I do on all flights! The Serbians gave us bottles. Finally, some initiative!

Belgrade from the skies

Belgrade.. almost there. The famous Sava...This is the last one..

Ok I misled you.. but how could I resist!

Landing.. no one yelling at me for taking photos now!

Arrived! Nikola Tesla Airport! or in Cyrillic on the left Aeodrom Nikola Tesla Beograd.

Some other arrivals

Origin: Nikola Tesla Airport Belgrade, Serbia
Destination: Skopje Alexander the Great Airport, Macedonia
Airline: Air Serbia
Aircraft: ATR-72 (very old model)
Flight Number: JU 162

Inside Beograd Airport

Outside the airport, we knew we had about 2 hours before the flight. So what better way for Yugo_boy and Yugo_girl to waste their time then to visit the Yugoslav Plane Museum!

Yugo_boy leading the way down a national highway, as one does.. unfortunately we walked for a good 1km and had to turn back because it was blocked off. All the way around..

Arrived finally! Muzej Vazduhoplovstva (Aeronautical Museum).

A former helicopter of Yugoslavia

Jat... Yugoslav Airways

The Yugoslav stars

Former Yugoslav Flags on the planes

WOW

An American drone shot down in Kosovo, it's amazing how many drones there are..

A French drone shot down.

A piece of a Nazi aircraft shot down

Yugo_boy looking stunning next to the Yugo star!

Beograd Airport, one of my favourite airports!

Inside Belgrade airport

Departures board... Rome, Stockholm, Abu Dhabi, Bucharest, Munich, Solun, Sofia, Skopje, Frankfurt, Moscow, Athens, Split, Tivat.

Our plane!

YU-ALO! you Halo too!!

Leg room.. not so great for Yugo_boy.. again!

Once again, our Serbian flight attendants look like supermodels!

Belgrade skies!

Another snack!! It's a one hour flight!!!

Creeping up on Skopje!

Beautiful Macedonia!

Landing in Macedonia!

Alexander the Great Airport!!!

What an amazing plane!

The beautiful Macedonian flag at the Alexander the Great Aiport!!

We are so excited to share our adventures in Macedonia!! Many more posts to come!!! :-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Oct 3, 2015 at 3:53 pm
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Just a small correction for the caption on one of the photos while landing in Belgrade - it is not Drina river, but Sava.

Other than that - still very enjoyable read - looking forward to see the rest.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Just a small correction for the caption on one of the photos while landing in Belgrade - it is not Drina river, but Sava.

Other than that - still very enjoyable read - looking forward to see the rest.
Oh opps! I got so confused I was reading "The bridge on the Drina" by Ivo Andric and I lost myself! as the saying goes you cannot correct the crooked Drina but in this case you can.. since it's the Sava! Thank you, glad you're enjoying reading the report

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Oct 3, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.