Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

If not now, when? (Thailand, Western Europe, Eastern Europe & Balkans)

If not now, when? (Thailand, Western Europe, Eastern Europe & Balkans)

Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lizzie1715
Thanks for sharing the information and pictures of the Creamery, it sounds like it would be worthwhile giving it a try next time I visit BKK.

Thank you!! The creamery was amazing you have to go there next time you are there :-:
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
What a great start - the Thailand photos are really good ^. looking forward to the rest, enjoy the trip!!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Officious Austrians and the $50 a night Travelodge at Heathrow: Bangkok to London

Origin: Bangkok
Destination: Vienna
Airline: Austrian Airlines
Aircraft: B777

Bangkok Airport

Our flight

The departure board

The beautiful Bangkok Airport

Some other flights, to Turkmenistan perhaps?

Some planes from the observation deck

The view from above the airport

Some flight attendants

Here we go! an Austrian flight attendant

Our plane!

At bangkok airport our plane

The leg room on the plane. As I said, it pays to travel with a tall person! The checkin agent was fantastic, she gave us the best seats. It really made the flight great, it was just as good as the Thai Airways flight!

Chicken and mash potato with warm bread and an apple cake - it was very nice!

Something salty and something sweet

A little snack on board - a turkey and cheese bread roll. They just kept giving us food!

The crew was absolutely fantastic, very professional and friendly. We will definitely fly Austrian Airlines again! The 10.5 hour flight went so quickly!

Origin: Vienna
Destination: London Heathrow
Airline: Austrian Airlines
Aircraft: A321

If you ever get stuck at any airport, Vienna is the best one to do so. This airport has seats to lie on, and places to recharge your phone or laptop so you may write your trip report!

Waiting on the plane, it was delayed one hour. A man did not get on the flight, then they had to take his bag off and then they had forgot to load the luggage lol

Leg room on the plane. We really had great flights!

The Travelodge at London Heathrow Central $50 a night on roomer.com definitely worth staying at.

The Travelodge at London Heathrow Central

:-::-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Oct 4, 2015 at 1:47 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
What a great start - the Thailand photos are really good ^. looking forward to the rest, enjoy the trip!!

Thank you very much I'm glad you like it!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:23 pm

I want some of those cloud hoppers haha. Can't wait for your photos and experiences of London^
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lizzie1715
I want some of those cloud hoppers haha. Can't wait for your photos and experiences of London^

Thank you! I will post them soon :-:
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Dream a Little Dream of London: Beautiful, Bustling and Breathtaking

This is my first time in London, Yugo_Boy has been a few times and I've seen the photos so many times. But I could not imagine the vibe it has. That is what I think differs city from city - you have the architecture the built and natural beauty of the city and then you have the feel of the actual city. London, is like walking down back into the classic days of literature, of John Keats and Emily Bronte; entwining this with the grandeur of the buildings and mixing it with the modernity of contemporary society. It is simply beautiful.

The Travelodge we stayed at $50 a night

A polish bakery we bought our breakfast

Some baked goods

Visnja juice - sour cherry.

Our favourite balkan croissant yummm

Travelling through traveller's way

A perfect place to plane spot! British Airways flies above us.

American Airlines

The state of the tube today - man saved from drowning.

Pretamanger sandwich yummmyyy - prosciutto

The modern buildings

Very grand and beautiful

So many beautiful scenes

Every building a masterpiece

Modern architecture

More to come :-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Oct 4, 2015 at 1:57 am
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Quaint London: Julian Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy and Peruvian Fusion

The next photos capture the essence of London and the major and quaint places we saw during our stay This beautiful metropolitan city is simply divine and the entire place mesmerises, appearing like something straight out of a movie.

The second travelodge at Kings Cross Royal Scot - $120 per night

So many shops like these

Buckingham Palace with lots of tourists

Near the Princess diana memorial walk

After walking through Hyde Park, we find this!

Very posh - Knightsbridge

Caviar at Harrods

Harrods department store

Inside Harrods

The Ecuadorian Embassy where Julian Assange (the editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks) himself is living presently!

Near Tower Bridge

The restaurant we ate at, AMAZING food. Amaru! Newly opened.

The menu at Amaru

Peruvian cured beef

Cold smoked chicken

Quinoa and pomegranate salad with truffle

At Amaru - Cold Green Tea noodles. Everything here was amazing gourmet !!! and only 22 euro!

Tower Bridge

Trying to reach the top of Tower Bridge lol just kidding I'm not that tall!

Hello there!

Amazing!

To be or not to be? lol

London is amazing!!!! More to come :-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Oct 4, 2015 at 2:34 am
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:57 pm

Great report. I'm heading back to Bangkok in March after 15 years. This is getting me excited.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Great report. I'm heading back to Bangkok in March after 15 years. This is getting me excited.

Bangkok is so beautiful. Do not bother with taxis there, the transport system BTS is fantastic! And try the pad thai from my trip report it's excellent. Enjoy your trip in March you will see as many beautiful things as we did!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Day 4- Sky High in London

On this day we visited Notting Hill and the beautiful and mesmerising Sky Garden. There are so many things to see in London and yet so dispersed. We walked around 15km at least to reach our destinations each day we were in London. Walking in our opinion is the best way to see a city and get a feel for the atmosphere and the vibe of the destination. We rarely caught the tube. So here begins our 7km trek to reach Notting Hill (yes, we do love walking!).

With views like this, walking is the best option!

Getting close now..

Here we are! Notting Hill!!!

So quaint and beautiful!

Yugo_Boy walking to Ottolenghi !! we got beautiful desserts here!!

The salads at Ottolenghi

Some desserts perhaps?

Yes please! Raspberry white chocolate cheesecake and lemon mascarpone tart yummmmmyy!!

Who has a pink door.. a bankrobber apparently

The famous Portobello markets in Notting Hill

The picturesque houses

The souvenirs - tourist traps that make for nice photos lol

Off to dinner at the Sky Garden building. We do love celebrating with a view.

At the entrance of the Sky Garden building

The view from the top! Sky Garden is Sky high! With a view of Tower Bridge!

360 degree views

This is the actual view! I was shocked!

The Gherkin !! what a strange building design! Some people just love gherkins a little too much! lol I can see the appeal!

The Sky Pod - predinner drinks

Pink is the question and Memories. Both delishhhh!! And my Pink is the question came with fairy floss! lol Abit much

A bit of scenery! yes more haha

Some predinner snacks.

The bar menu.

The menu at Sky Garden - The Darwin restaurant

The view from the Darwin restaurant. There is an actual garden in the sky at Sky garden. It's incredible.

The pulled pork hamburger

Ravioli

Some more interesting cocktails!

A rocket salad - All the food was delicious! but don't ask us how we ate all this! We got abit carried away lol

Such an open design

And then it started to rain!

This is the open space which is free to visit the restaurant you have to reserve. The views are just stunning! This ends our little adventure to London and it was a great ending to a beautiful city! Even the walk back to the tube was beautiful in the rain. Most people say in London rains non stop but we did not experience that, the weather was superb and we loved every moment of London. This is the only instance where is rained and it merely sprinkled! I expected it to be terrible weather but we were so impressed!
Sadly we have to leave London, but here comes Paris!! :-:

More posts to come :-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Aug 25, 2015 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Bonjour Paris, Paris, Paris! Walks around the city.

We arrived to Paris from London via the Eurostar train, it was excellent and took only 2 hours. The journey went so quickly. After the train we took the metro to La Motte - Piquet Grenelle Metro. The hotel we stayed at was the Citadines Tour Eiffel Paris ($120 per night usually much more) which was located in the 15th arr. and within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, we did this walk every day. The metro was only 1.80 euro per person, unlike the 9.80 pounds in London, but for sightseeing we preferred to walk everywhere. I know, by this point we should really have joined the Olympic walking team lol, because each day consisted of at least 20km of walking. I could not possible include every detail of our trip (there were so many sights we saw and pictures we took) but here is a little summary. We did see the essentials and many more.

Eurostar, the security here was so tight. We had to take of shoes, it felt like airport security and we felt very safe here.

Yugo_Boy leads the way

The onboard snacks bar, we also bought metro tickets here to save time. Excuse the blurriness of some of the photos, they were taken with my iphone.

A view from the Eurostar

Obligatory leg room pic

Outside of our apartment complex

The beautiful Citadines room.

So modern!

The little kitchen!

Bathroom

We walked to the Eiffel Tower right away.

A perfect day !

There were so many tourists lining up for hours to climb the tower, however we instead bought food at the local shops, sat under the Eiffel Tower and watched it light up. In true Parisian style, cheese, bread and wine

The next day we went to see the Champs-Élysées, the most famous street in the world.

Arc de triomphe

Some desserts

Off to the Louvre, in the 1st arrondissement

The grounds of the Louvre

For dinner we went to Suffren, located near our apartment. Some pre-dinner snacks. We didn’t think it would be great given the tripadvisor reviews, but it was excellent!

French onion soup –delish!

Goats cheese and salad

Mushroom pasta

Beef carpaccio – our favourite!

The next day we walked around the Latin Quarter and Notre Dame as well as anywhere else.

Invalides

Where the hunchback of Notre Dame lives

This is actually free to enter but because of this the line was very very long and people waited for hours to get in.

The famous love locks all over Paris

The park near the Louvre

Ritzy hotels all over the place

Ambiance

The opera, so dramatic lol kidding, it’s stunning!

So grand

It was perfect weather for us! Very sunny and hot!

This is how we got around, this map that kept tearing and we asked for 3 times at reception (one for every day we were in Paris). Yugo_Boy navigating us - old school

Yugo_Boy map in hand. This boy is too good!

At the bottom of Montmartre Hill

On top of the Sacré-Coeur basilica on the Montmartre hill in the 18th arrondissement.

So beautiful

The view at the top

So many tourists here

The Pont Alexandre III bridge in Art Nouveau style. A gift from the Russian Tsar at the time to the French royals. It looks like it belongs in Moscow, which makes sense after learning this information.

We loved Paris! We took the metro to the bus station which was very easy.

Our bus to Brussels

The bus station in Paris

The journey to Brussels took 5 hours but was very comfortable!

On our way!!

We are currently in Brussels I will post the next photos soon :-::-::-:

Last edited by YU_GO_GONE; Aug 23, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:02 pm

I really like your TR's, beautiful pictures and different takes on familiar sights. I was wondering how you got the apartment in Paris so cheaply? Did you book online and on which site?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
We didn’t think it would be great given the tripadvisor reviews, but it was excellent!
Wow, a blast from the past. Yonks ago, I used to stay at the Hilton (it has since changed hands) and the Suffren used to be my evening dinner spot. I actually had a look on Tripadvisor to double check if it was the same place.
Loving your TR! ^
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

Good report so far, impressive scope for the trip given the time but looks like you're doing alright. Note though: The bridge you're calling London Bridge is actually Tower Bridge. London Bridge is the completely unspectacular bridge next to it leading up to the Shard (seen in some of your other photos)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.