Wiki Posts
Search

Live Trip Report TP run to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Live Trip Report TP run to Hawaii

Hello, thought I'd share my trip report with you real time as I am about to start my epic journey to HNL and then onto OGG. I've really enjoyed reading lots of other TRs and thought it was about time I contribute.

This will be our first TP run, first time to Hawaii and first time in first on the A380 (well first time on the A380 at all!)

Here is an outline of the trip: We are both currently gold, and this trip will make us gold again for another year, just in the nick of time! But also allowing for a few days rest in Maui.

The Trip:
20/7 LHR - DUB BA830 arrives 15:35 positioning flight in economy
20/7 DUB - LHR BA839 dep 20:55 arrives 22:05 CE
Stay overnight at the Sofitel at T5
21/7 LHR - LAX BA0283 dep 09:45 arr 12:55 F
21/7 LAX - HNL BA5139 dep 16:50 19:54
Spend 2 nights at Hilton Waikiki Village
23/7 Fly Hawaiian to OGG in F
Spend 4 nights at Hotel Wailea
27/7 Fly Hawaiian back to HNL
Spend 1 night at The Modern
28/7 HNL - LAX AA0270 dep 0710 arr 15:40 F
28/7 LAX - LHR BA1540 (AA operated) dep 17:45 arr 12:25 in J
29/7 LHR - DUB BA 0830 dep 14:15 arr 15:35 CE
29/7 DUB - LHR positioning flight BA 0823 dep 19:25 arr 20:35

I will update during the 5 hours I've got to kill at Dublin airport this afternoon... Any suggestions for things to do to waste time there are welcome, as are any other words of wisdom more experienced TP runners on this route may have

Last edited by Cazziebee; Jul 20, 2015 at 2:53 am
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Enjoy your trip, but shouldn't those "LAS" flights be LAX?

The DAA lounge in DUB is ok, but with 5 hours between flights, if the flight into DUB is on time, why not take yourself into the city for a couple of hours?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Ah yes, I have just corrected. Was thinking about heading into town but was a bit worried there wouldn't be enough time.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG
Enjoy your trip!

We did a TP run/vacation down to OGG in April and also stayed at the Hotel Wailea. Enjoyed it immensely. Hope your trip goes easy!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I'm sitting upstairs in Galleries South nearing the end of my first ex-EU trip - just waiting for my final flight to ABZ. Dublin City is very close to the airport so you will have time for a wander around Dublin. That lounge there is awful - I won't waste my time with it when I head to OGG in December.
My Transatlantics were both on the AA 777-300 in J.
I LOVED it!
We had fantastic crews on all our AA flights but particularly last night's one from JFK to LHR. My daughter and I had the mini business cabin to ourselves (the flight was delayed so some people jumped onto the flight which was departing half an hour later but would have helped them make their connections) so we were really spoiled. The seats are fantastic, food better than BA also. I will choose AA over BA whenever I can from now - no comparison. Looking forward to your updates, have a great time!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: British airways executive club, Bronze
How long does it take to get into Dublin City? We are there Thursday for our Dub - LHR - Lgw - Mco flights.

Thanks

RTFL66
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Originally Posted by Rtfl66
How long does it take to get into Dublin City? We are there Thursday for our Dub - LHR - Lgw - Mco flights.

Thanks

RTFL66
if not rush-hour, and you head through the tunnel, less than 30 mins. Head down to the waterfront and grab a guiness
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
See you in the ba830. I see it is delayed about 30 mins. Im in 7d, ft tags ahoy! I may also be grimacing due to dodgy stomach, im in gc south locked in the loo!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcm9000
See you in the ba830. I see it is delayed about 30 mins. Im in 7d, ft tags ahoy! I may also be grimacing due to dodgy stomach, im in gc south locked in the loo!
TMI!

Safe and happy travels to you all, I'm very envious, wish I could recreate one of my HNL runs soon again.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

LHR - DUB

Flight ended up being about an hour late departing.

T5 was extremely busy, although security took only around 15 mins fast track. As many have pointed out, the 'slow track' appeared to move quicker. Although we left luggage in the car park to pick up on way to Sofitel later, so literally had my handbag with no liquids.

We used First check in for the first time which was extremely efficient, although in the time it took to do that, the south security queue had grown from two stick men to five on the sign.
The F lounge was fairly busy, although nothing had run out, as I have experienced previously. We didn't indulge in an champagne as didn't was the monopole on tonight's flight to be an anticlimax!!

Seating was in short supply. If you left your seat for more than a minute somebody else would be in it.

We sat in row 10, the exit row, LOADS of legroom, despite being sat next to a giant.. I will insert pic once I figure out how. Flight was a bit bumpy but quick. Just enough time to squeeze in a G&T.

The good news is we managed to change our flight back to LHR to one an hour or so (depending on delays) earlier as ticket was fully flexible.

Am currently sat in DAA lounge eating some rather uninspiring smoked cheese and soda bread from a packet with seemingly eternal life.

Last edited by Cazziebee; Jul 20, 2015 at 11:15 am
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Legroom pic

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...262-image.html
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Currently waiting for the delayed 19:20.. BA App says 20:33, airport screen says 19:45.

Who to believe?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Cazziebee
Currently waiting for the delayed 19:20.. BA App says 20:33, airport screen says 19:45.

Who to believe?
Useful to watch the inbound arrival at outstations. BA824, which will presumably be the aircraft used for BA823, is showing arrival to DUB at 19:53 on BA app, 19:45 on airport site, so pretty unlikely your flight will depart at 19:45...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:33 am
Original Poster

DUB - LHR

So our earlier flight ended up being 90 mins late, as was our original later flight, so we were glad we had been able to change flights.

We were in row 5 in CE. I've managed to get comparison pics of row 10 vs CE

Row 10

Row 5:

The flight took a little longer on the way back as we were waiting for a landing slot for about 20 mins, therefore allowing us to consume plenty of Monopole!

We didn't eat, as we were told that by changing flights we wouldn't have been catered for, so ate a little in DAA lounge. However, I must say, the food offered looked pretty good. It was a very fresh looking chicken salad with a cheese cake for desert. I don't imagine you have much time to eat it all if the flight lands on time.

The service both ways was good, I'd say the return journey in CE was slightly better - the crew were more friendly. In neither flight were we given a special EC greeting.

It has been a long time since I have travelled ET, I know lots prefer the extra legroom of row 10 over any CE seats except row 1, but I think I have to say the empty seat in the middle wins it for me.

We arrived around 11 at the Sofitel. Check in was very quick. We were straight out again in the morning, so unfortunately had no time to explore. I would definitely like to see the spa next time. The beds were extremely comfortable and there was very little noise.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Enjoy your flights today, was it me or was the lhr-dub yesterday a bit of a slog with that taxi from gate 2? I feel sorry for 8d, yet again i accidentally reclined the seat, have no idea when i do it until landing when i told to put the seat upright. Huh, what, again??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.