Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: AA
on the loss of your daughter CaroFos
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Wow, a great trip report ^

I think knowing a bit of the "back story" of the travellers really helps to imagine them enjoying the trip.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday.
Thanks for your comments. I ummed and ahh'd whether to share all info but it felt important to explain that the trip was really about trying to do something really special at an incredibly difficult time - rather than just an honest indulgence!

I'll include a bit more about the impact of the trip when I sum up but I'd recommend that any parent if they can, has at least one chance to do something really special one to one with their teen before they get too old. I'm all about doing as much as possible and creating memories..

I'm so grateful to Flyer Talk - it's really been invaluable in helping me with my mission!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beven12S
on the loss of your daughter CaroFos
Thank you - I appreciate your thoughts.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:11 pm

Thanks for posting, a very enjoyable read.

One question though, did you take an empty suitcase with you as it sounds like you bought the whole city?!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A great read CaroFos - thanks for posting. I also need to do a TR as I do enjoy reading others
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
Thanks for posting, a very enjoyable read.

One question though, did you take an empty suitcase with you as it sounds like you bought the whole city?!
Ha ha! We nearly ate (and drank! ) the whole city! I think we probably did have a suitcase inside a suitcase on the way out. And one was an expander! In our vocabulary, 'shopping' does mean a lot of 'look, touch and feel' so we were actually quite disciplined!

I feel guilty that we didn't do more cultural stuff but tbh, 3.5 days is not that long and we were just there to escape and fulfil a dream to see New York!

Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Unhappy

So sorry to hear about your loss, hope also you have fully recoved from your illness.Thank you so much for sharing your TR with us, it was amazing, JFK is such an great city, somewhere you could go back again and again, and see something different. Agree one definately needs to do lots of things with children / teenagers before they get too old to want to come away with you.^
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
So sorry to hear about your loss, hope also you have fully recoved from your illness.Thank you so much for sharing your TR with us, it was amazing, JFK is such an great city, somewhere you could go back again and again, and see something different. Agree one definately needs to do lots of things with children / teenagers before they get too old to want to come away with you.^
Thank you .. it was my daughter who was poorly. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour when she was just 10 years old. Until then, we'd had a pretty charmed life. She survived for 18 months but with major physical (one sided paralysis) and some cognitive deficits. A heartbreaking, humbling (She never complained and managed to retain her incredible sense of humour and fun) and life-changing experience. We hoped she might be one of those who would beat the odds but tragically it was not to be. It's made me re-evaluate everything and am trying very hard not to waste / make the most of the opportunities we have.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing!

But I too must offer my condolences for your loss.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:57 pm

How does the lounge thing work when you arrive?

Do you get your luggage first? Then go to the lounge?

Or you pick it up later?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Bretteee
How does the lounge thing work when you arrive?

Do you get your luggage first? Then go to the lounge?

Or you pick it up later?
You clear passport control, pick up your luggage, and then go to the lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
What a wonderful memory and a fabulous way to celebrate those difficult moments in life.

My partners son was born with Cystic Fibrosis, I came into their lives when he was 10, and passed when he was 17. He would be in his 30's now.

As his pass date was just before Xmas, its always a difficult time, family seem to forget, and its only us who remember. So we do our best to work or do something on our own, the sight of all the nephews and neices getting on with their lives and opening presents is too much.

What a great trip you had, that LCY JFK J flight looks awesome.

Love that part of Manhatten - and you certainly fitted it with lots of exciting things to do, and adventerous trips out to Queens etc
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
What a wonderful memory and a fabulous way to celebrate those difficult moments in life.

My partners son was born with Cystic Fibrosis, I came into their lives when he was 10, and passed when he was 17. He would be in his 30's now.

As his pass date was just before Xmas, its always a difficult time, family seem to forget, and its only us who remember. So we do our best to work or do something on our own, the sight of all the nephews and neices getting on with their lives and opening presents is too much.

What a great trip you had, that LCY JFK J flight looks awesome.

Love that part of Manhatten - and you certainly fitted it with lots of exciting things to do, and adventerous trips out to Queens etc
So sorry for your loss too. Yes, watching everyone else get on and grow is definitely tough. My eldest has been invited to Australia with her boyfriend and his family this Xmas so although we will miss her, we send her with our blessings as it will be another amazing experience for her. I'm hoping there might be a fantastic J sale in early December my husband and I can take advantage of this time. New York again would be nice!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Excellent report. Thanks for sharing!

But I too must offer my condolences for your loss.
Very much agree with the above post.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Thank you .. it was my daughter who was poorly. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour when she was just 10 years old. Until then, we'd had a pretty charmed life. She survived for 18 months but with major physical (one sided paralysis) and some cognitive deficits. A heartbreaking, humbling (She never complained and managed to retain her incredible sense of humour and fun) and life-changing experience. We hoped she might be one of those who would beat the odds but tragically it was not to be. It's made me re-evaluate everything and am trying very hard not to waste / make the most of the opportunities we have.
Seems the apple did not fall far from the tree !! Your outlook and attitude is indeed humbling, I hope from now your life brings only the happiness you clearly deserve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.