Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

SWISS Airbus A340 business class Zurich to Bangkok (not impressed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS Airbus A340 business class Zurich to Bangkok (not impressed)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
My issue with LX's J seat is how narrow the footrest area is in their non-bulkhead seats. Sadly, I'd rather fly on a US carrier's J seat since their catering is nothing special either.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As you put (not impressed) in the thread title I thought I was going to read something bad about the product.

Maybe I'm easily pleased but it all looks pretty good to me.
1997 called and wants its IFE system back.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I've taken quite a few flights in the single throne seats on LX, and I must say that I quite like them. They are not as wide as they probably should be, but they are much more practical than BA's J seats, where you almost always have to step over someone if you're in a widow seat. As far as comfort goes, place an extra blanket down and it will be a bit softer.
Thx for your comment. I did not really have an issue with the firmness of the seat (you can adjust that) nor its width, but I did find the foot compartment in the single throne seats too small (since you cannot lift your knees or turn around your legs without hitting the wall). On the way back (Bangkok to Vienna), I flew Austrian Airlines in a B777, also in a single throne seat, and their foot compartment is larger (and thus increasing sleeping comfort). I guess this has to do with the fact that the SWISS foot compartment has a large storage box at its ceiling (which is lacking in Austrian's seats) and is more narrow towards its end. I can only hope that SWISS will install a better seat on its B777s .

Here are some photos (all taken from the same perspective, so you can compare both foot compartments).

Foot compartment of the SWISS business class seat:

Foot compartment of the Austrian Airlines business class seat:

Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Thanks for the report, though your rating of 6/10 for food, when you state yourself that it was an excellent gastronomic experience at 40000 feet seems rather contradictory, just because you did not receive your choice? It does happen on all airlines, that sometimes we do not get exactly what we would prefer......
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: LH HON
Why not? It's his impression of a single flight, on which he unfortunately did not receive his favorite meal. He's not judging the airlines catering in general. Why rate 8-10/10 if something didn't work out this time (especially on FT where people rant about nuts portions or ramekins ...)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
While I agree with the general thrust of your report and some of the specific points you make, I think you are being a little harsh.

I think their food is some of the best in the air - but admittedly I've always received my first choice even when seated right near the back. Their selection of wines is always interesting and it's not everyday you can find Swiss wines.

As for the foot box, I'm 192cm tall (6'4") with size 15 (I think 50 in EU language) plates of meat and I've always slept well. The Austrian equivalent does seem to be better in this regard - Agreed (however I've not flown long haul with them).

The IFE screen is small, but it has reasonable content. If you give Swiss a 3/10 I'd hate to see what you give Air China!

Personally - I think the cabin looks modern, smart and very Swiss.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the A340 is old and the IFE is very tired by modern standards but the soft product is better than Business Class on LH or BA. Only OS have better F&B. LX have also improved the long-haul F&B recently (while cutting the short-haul offering-sigh) which is apparent from the photos you posted. For example, there is a more substantial pre-arrival hot breakfast offering on LX than BA.

I prefer the throne seats to Club World every time.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Unfortunately, SWISS will keep the staggered configuration aboard its Boeing 777-300ER (which will be delivered next year): http://www.ausbt.com.au/new-swiss-bo...ss-class-seats. The product looks very nice though.

For those that are interested, I posted a FT trip report about the return flight aboard an Austrian Airlines 777 (which uses the same Business Class configuration as SWISS). The experience was far superior as compared to SWISS: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...na-superb.html
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:17 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert

About 30 minutes later (6.30 pm local time), dinner was offered. Although food was very good and tasty, the crew unfortunately ran out of food options after taking orders from only a few passengers.
Still no pre-dinner drink on BKK flights? I could understand this on 11pm flight - but why not to serve a drink on the 5.45pm departure?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:25 am

If business class was that bad I can only imagine how poor coach was.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't understand all this moaning about the LX business hard product. Yes, the footwell is a bit tight, but I'm not small and it's never been a problem for me. The single seats have so much space and room that I much prefer them over BA or LH.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by happymom2008
If business class was that bad I can only imagine how poor coach was.
Swiss in Economy wasn't bad, at least by my standards. We flew Sing-Zurich in late 2013 and here is a video I made of the flight.

Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone else detest the constantly vibrating and noise making seats in business class? They’re teuky
awful.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I think at least the comments re/ the lounge are now outdated

Great Whiskey bar in the LX lounge at E....

(I was wondering about the report but saw that the report was written in 2015).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone else detest the constantly vibrating and noise making seats in business class? They’re teuky
awful.
4 year old thread? Required a bump for that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.