Reload this Page >

Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Priority Club,Fairmont presidents club,Marriot rewards,SPG,Delta Privalige
Hi

I am visiting Toronto again next August as a family of four on the new Westjet service from London (UK) staying at the Delta, we are considering the express or a taxi. If I took the express is there a lot of wasted time waiting for the feeder train from Terminal 1 or could we be stuck in traffic if we took the taxi around 5:30pm on a weekday?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Pjack94
Hi

I am visiting Toronto again next August as a family of four on the new Westjet service from London (UK) staying at the Delta, we are considering the express or a taxi. If I took the express is there a lot of wasted time waiting for the feeder train from Terminal 1 or could we be stuck in traffic if we took the taxi around 5:30pm on a weekday?
There will be a fair amount of traffic at that time on a weekday, you'll be looking at about $60 for all of you and approximately 50 minutes to the Delta. The initial part of the journey will move quickly but the second leg will be much slower.

The train for four of you will be a lot more money and maybe save you 20 or 30 minutes.

Recommend you get a limo/cab. It's a fixed rate to downtown and will take you straight to the Delta.

If you want to save a bunch of money, you could in theory take the public bus (TTC) which is $3/each or so. It will take you to Kipling which is a subway station (tube) at the end of the line. You can ride that to the Yonge station (or the other interchanges) and change trains (easy, we only have two lines) to Union, and you're quite near the Delta then; you can walk it.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: IHG Priority Club,Fairmont presidents club,Marriot rewards,SPG,Delta Privalige
Originally Posted by atsak
There will be a fair amount of traffic at that time on a weekday, you'll be looking at about $60 for all of you and approximately 50 minutes to the Delta. The initial part of the journey will move quickly but the second leg will be much slower.

The train for four of you will be a lot more money and maybe save you 20 or 30 minutes.

Recommend you get a limo/cab. It's a fixed rate to downtown and will take you straight to the Delta.

If you want to save a bunch of money, you could in theory take the public bus (TTC) which is $3/each or so. It will take you to Kipling which is a subway station (tube) at the end of the line. You can ride that to the Yonge station (or the other interchanges) and change trains (easy, we only have two lines) to Union, and you're quite near the Delta then; you can walk it.
Thanks atsak for your reply, the last time we came home from YYZ they charged us a flat rate of $60 from the Sheraton for a limo. The UP has a family ticket for $55 but as we have to get the feeder train from terminal 3 to 1 we may not save as much time as anticipated.

Regards

Pjack
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Pjack94
Thanks atsak for your reply, the last time we came home from YYZ they charged us a flat rate of $60 from the Sheraton for a limo. The UP has a family ticket for $55 but as we have to get the feeder train from terminal 3 to 1 we may not save as much time as anticipated.

Regards

Pjack
I forgot about the family ticket; that changes the economics. The train from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 typically comes every 3 or 4 minutes unless one is out of service, then it's 7 or 8 IIRC. The ride from 3 to 1 is only 3 or 4 more minutes; all very short.

I still think the transit time walking from Union to the Delta and also to the train is likely to end up very close to a wash, and the limo/cab may be a bit less work with the luggage and all. You are on holiday . . . traffic is slightly better in the summer actually so perhaps that will help you. Good luck.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When you get to the Union terminus it is a walk through the PATH system to the Delta...all indoors and air conditioned...just head towards the Convention Centre. Depending upon the age of your children, it may be an adventure to use the UPX at least in one direction.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Buy presto at YYZ?

Can you buy a Presto card at Pearson, either at the booth in the terminal or where the train leaves? The Presto web site includes the UP Pearson station in its list of agents that sell cards, but previous messages suggest it's wrong.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: Independent
This was several months ago, but yes, I did purchase a card inside the airport terminal. You can't purchase one (that i know of) at the machines at the station, but inside the terminal you can.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The fare for those 65 and older is $12 CAD R/T, or ~$9.00 US. In the US, 62 qualifies us. I sure hope they don't card us.

dh53
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Now it is 12$cad one way for everyone. 9$cad one way if you have presto
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
No presto cards

Originally Posted by Cloudship
This was several months ago, but yes, I did purchase a card inside the airport terminal. You can't purchase one (that i know of) at the machines at the station, but inside the terminal you can.
When I asked the people at the UP booth in T1 to buy a presto card, they directed me to the machines at the station which only sells tickets. Where did you get your card?

(I later got one from GO sales at Union Station, but of course, that's the other end of the UP line.)
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by jrlevine
When I asked the people at the UP booth in T1 to buy a presto card, they directed me to the machines at the station which only sells tickets. Where did you get your card?

(I later got one from GO sales at Union Station, but of course, that's the other end of the UP line.)
That is where I got it. Mind you that was back in the fall of 2015, so I don't know if things have changed since then.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
Guess they're trying to let Econ 101 work in their favor... nobody was riding the train, lower the fares!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
While the website said otherwise, the reality is it is 12$cad 1 way for students and adults. Over 65 set us back 6$cad for a 1 way ticket.

dh
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Guess they're trying to let Econ 101 work in their favor... nobody was riding the train, lower the fares!
Umm. Econ 101 would dictate no transit projects should be built..so I suspect you did not pay attention in Econ.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mkjr
Umm. Econ 101 would dictate no transit projects should be built..so I suspect you did not pay attention in Econ.
Typically laws of economics don't apply to political pet projects, or government in general given how they spend money. Politicians want certain projects, funnel contracts to their friends, etc.. And I never said anything about building the project itself, just that lowering the cost by ~50% they're probably hoping to improve ridership since basically everybody in this thread thought it was too expensive for what it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.