Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trout n About in Scotland with the help of new Iberia Biz Plus IBEX J and BA CE.

Trout n About in Scotland with the help of new Iberia Biz Plus IBEX J and BA CE.

Old Jun 13, 15, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/IB

Deleted as photo links no longer live.

Last edited by HIDDY; Nov 3, 16 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 14, 15, 4:27 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
What a great trip report -- I tried all sorts to EZE in the past, (BA, AF and IB) I even remember doing IB in one of the rickety old 747s back in summer 2000

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
T-24 hours and a lovely day dawned. All arrangements for our departure had been completed except one. Today the dogs were uneasy. They sensed something was afoot when they watched me gathering up their beds, toys and food bowls. They were right. It was time for them to be taken to the mother in laws so I didn’t blame them for their uneasiness. It wouldn’t be too bad, she has a large enclosed garden where they would have freedom to experience new smells and places to explore. The conservatory would be their kennel with a permanently open door giving them 24/7 access to the garden. Food and water would be served to them daily. What more could a pooch want? Despite their stalling tactics we finally managed to get all three of them in the car for the short drive where they were settled into their temporary home. We left when they weren’t looking praying they would behave themselves and not dig up her cherished plants or keep the neighbours awake at night with their barking if a brave cat ventured too close for their liking. The house that night felt very strange in their absence.
My bolding. I know EXACTLY what you mean -- it is like our dogs have a built in sensor that allows them to turn on the "you are dumping us AGAIN whilst you swan off somewhere, you are bad parents" look on their faces. And to be honest, same goes for me -- after a while I want to get home just to see the dogs !!
Old Jun 14, 15, 5:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
It was time for them to be taken to the mother in laws so I didnt blame them for their uneasiness.

Besides the crappy weather, the two of you seemed to have a lovely holiday. Thank you for sharing, it made for a lovely read.
Old Jun 14, 15, 1:48 pm

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Gourock periodically gets a mention on FT, but I think this is a first sighting of pie and beans. The conjunction of the two pretty much encapsulates my first twenty years.

Great trip report!
Old Jun 14, 15, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Great report HIDDY. Glad that you enjoyed your trip back to the home land. Loved the pie and beans picture (along with all the other nice photos of the scenery).

Flights looked like they were good too. Some luck on your side getting the long haul configured 767 down to MAD!

Thanks for posting!
Old Jun 14, 15, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Lovely job there HIDDY.

Hope the dogs were OK - always love coming home after a while away to be greeted by the animals.

Haven't been up to Scotland for ages. Reading this made us think it might be time, although the weather is rather off putting.

Thank you.
Old Jun 14, 15, 4:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Thoroughly enjoyed the TR Hiddy,thanks very much for posting it. And the hat doesn't look too bad to me, seems to have some potential for being worn at a rakish angle anyway.
Old Jun 14, 15, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Excellent read thanks for sharing HIDDY.
Old Jun 15, 15, 1:27 am

Would like to visit Scotland. Weather is a problem there. When should one go?

I hate baked beans. Reminds me of school.

The Iberia pre arrival snack looks awful.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bretteee; Jun 15, 15 at 1:33 am
Old Jun 15, 15, 7:44 am

Thanks for posting your report. I enjoyed the text and the photos. Looks like you had a nice vacation. Thanks again for taking the time to post.
Old Jun 15, 15, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by pdsuk View Post
My bolding. I know EXACTLY what you mean -- it is like our dogs have a built in sensor that allows them to turn on the "you are dumping us AGAIN whilst you swan off somewhere, you are bad parents" look on their faces. And to be honest, same goes for me -- after a while I want to get home just to see the dogs !!

Always good to get home to see them again.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post

Besides the crappy weather, the two of you seemed to have a lovely holiday. Thank you for sharing, it made for a lovely read.
Thanks roadwarrior....despite the mixed weather it was good to get away.

Originally Posted by mfhstid View Post
Gourock periodically gets a mention on FT, but I think this is a first sighting of pie and beans. The conjunction of the two pretty much encapsulates my first twenty years.

Great trip report!
Pie and beans...sadly two things unavailable here. I could have a bash at making a Scotch pie but the baked means are impossible to copy. The sauce is the problem.

Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
Great report HIDDY. Glad that you enjoyed your trip back to the home land. Loved the pie and beans picture (along with all the other nice photos of the scenery).

Flights looked like they were good too. Some luck on your side getting the long haul configured 767 down to MAD!

Thanks for posting!
Thanks stu. The long haul configured 767 was a nice treat to experience without having to fly....well, long haul.

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel View Post
Lovely job there HIDDY.

Hope the dogs were OK - always love coming home after a while away to be greeted by the animals.
Dogs were collected the day after our arrival. They don't see to have suffered any mental trauma after three weeks being with the mother in law. I think she secretly spoils them when we're away.

Originally Posted by exilencfc View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed the TR Hiddy,thanks very much for posting it. And the hat doesn't look too bad to me, seems to have some potential for being worn at a rakish angle anyway.
Thanks...I'm not into wearing hats. I don't think I've got the right shaped head for them.

I'm reading your report as you post it.....much better than my drivel.

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Excellent read thanks for sharing HIDDY.
Thanks Schwann.

Originally Posted by Bretteee View Post
Would like to visit Scotland. Weather is a problem there. When should one go?

I hate baked beans. Reminds me of school.

The Iberia pre arrival snack looks awful.

Thanks.
The weather in Scotland is always a game of chance no matter when you go. The summer months are obviously warmer but you have to put up with more tourists on the roads and at beauty spots.....accommodation is also harder to find and more expensive. Having said that we were a bit unlucky....the sun was out a lot it was the incessant cold wind which was infuriating.
The Iberia snack was okay. They do tend to cater for their own Iberian tastes so if you don't like that sort of thing you probably won't like it. To be fair most airlines I've been on don't do those second snack meals very well.

Originally Posted by halfcape View Post
Thanks for posting your report. I enjoyed the text and the photos. Looks like you had a nice vacation. Thanks again for taking the time to post.
Glad you enjoyed it halfcape. ^
Old Jun 16, 15, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Blue
Thanks for a lovely report, the first cottage looked fantastic

DMF

--------------------------------------------------------

A scorpion in Sweden?
Old Jun 16, 15, 8:48 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Thanks for a good read! Aye that wind! Didnae stop for weeks. Very nice few days last week, back to cloudy with dropping temps again. Could be worse i suppose! The mrs is brave doing the driving, the locals out in those areas and especially heading north of crianlarich are nutters. I have also found since moving near stirling that the a9 is everywhere. Turn left, a9. Turn right, a9. Drive over a field to get away from the a9, a9. Anyway....

I flew from panama to madrid in january in a window seat (close to window). I agree it is a great way to fly. The gap is a bit thin though for squeezing out, hey ho, no biggie. They didnt have the mad-edi flight back then unfortunately, im tempted to do edi-mad-usa if prices are good for future flights to the us (and esp on the way back to avoid lhr).

As for pie and beans, that picture is not helping my efforts to lose weight. I have avoided a pie for a few weeks, all i can think of now is pies. Thanks.

Last edited by jcm9000; Jun 16, 15 at 8:54 am
Old Jun 16, 15, 1:42 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Glad to see you visited Kilmartin (not Kilmory) with its carved headstones, etc. The glen below the church is a remarkable place, with hundreds of prehistoric monuments and sites - standing stones, stone circles, burial cairns, etc. It's sobering to look upon the valley floor and think about how it's been inhabited for thousands and thousands of years. An eerie and unforgettable place.
Old Jun 16, 15, 2:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Very nice report, HIDDY, thanks for putting it up.

I flew IB Express on the EDI-MAD route two weeks ago, albeit in Economy, and I had pretty much the same impression than you - OK service, new plane, on-time flight. It does feel quite LCC but certainly better than Ryanair or EasyJet. I would say Business is worth it on this particular route; it's a long flight and seat pitch in Economy is awful.

I liked your pictures of Argyll. I was there last month and I found the whole region to be very nice. The weather was indeed terrible, but this being Scotland I didn't have any expectations.

Baked beans, with tomato sauce and all, you can find in Carrefour at Paseo Alcorta. I haven't been to Buenos Aires since March but at that time they had them. Quite expensive but OK for a once in a while craving.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: