Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Bali and Taipei - *A Getaway with USDM (BR J, TG J - Peninsula, Alila)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn

Foreword

2014 was the year in which everything radically changed for me.
in 2013 I managed to amass enough VS miles through credit cards, miles boosters, wine clubs and ISAs for a single return trip to Tokyo.

I gave a very brief report here

It was a learning experience. The miles were costly to acquire and the fuel surcharges significant, however I proved to myself that this was possible.
It wasn’t an internet scam. You could be in your 20s flying transcontinental premium cabins and do so regularly.

When I realised the power of Dividend Miles things really kicked up a notch.

In 2014 I flew on my first (and second) A380. Both times in F. I also flew NH out of Tokyo. Thai out out of BKK and OZ out of Incheon. I tried the Al Mourjan lounge within a few weeks of the new DOH airport opening.

I also flew VS to Tokyo again in order to empty out my balance, flew on CX F for the first time and experienced 6 take offs and landings sat in row 1 of a 747 (still one of the coolest things you could ever wish to do).

I also realised that I love writing trip reports. My job has me working some fairly brutal hours so I don’t always get these TRs up as soon as I’d like. However, as I sit here on an SQ 77WN in Seat 11A writing this report on my first new computer in 8 years; a computer I’ve bought solely for the purpose of writing TRs (the sheer volume of photos kept crashing the old one), I know how valuable this process is.

Were it not for the reports I’ve read on this forum I can say without any hesitation that I wouldn’t be here right now. There is nothing like seeing a plan put into action, to light a fire under your ... and set you on your way. So thanks to everybody who contributes here, I sincerely hope that my reports will inspire and amuse like those of the other contributors. Writers who showed me that the world is only as small, or as large, as you choose to make it.

Planning

There is definitely a line of thinking in our hobby which states that any change to a loyalty program = the sky is falling. USDM was a crazy experience. I will miss hours spent listening to the hold music, the adrenaline rush when a crazy routing gets ticketed or even the crushing blow of having the rates desk kill a dream route after the final award seat in a 10 leg itinerary opens up.

On the final day of being able to book *A awards, after topping mine and K’s balances up with a 100% bonus I decided to do something slightly out of character.

I planned a route not for the sake of flying F but rather a route which would give me one last chance to a fly a new *A carrier on a complex itinerary (I have Avianca to thank for my current seat but that’s a whole different story). It also gave me ideal timings straight to LHR from the office on a Thursday, arriving back on a Sunday evening, just over a week later.

The carrier I picked: EVA Air. A carrier we don’t see many reports on round here. Understandable given that they joined *A shortly before US left thereby leaving a relatively narrow window in which to fly them at an attractive rate.

So why EVA?
I love Taiwanese food (Leong’s legend in London is a particular favourite of mine)
The Sicma Aero Cirrus is one of the best seats out there
Rimowa kits in J !
PJs in J !
Dom Perignon in J !

Besides, we could route via my old home of BKK whilst visiting Indonesia and Taiwan for the first time. All for 80,000 USDM per person. (Taiwan for 2 nights was the final destination, with 5 nights in Bali as a stopover Man, I’m already getting misty eyed thinking about how good USDM was).

Previous Trip Reports

Champlagnes - (TG F, OZ J & F, NH F) - (Sofitel, Hyatt, Conrad, Hilton)

Excellent Adventure - VS J, QF J, CX J and F - PH, ANA, Hilton, Novotel, Conrad

30th B'day trip to Park Hyatt Dubai (Terrace suite) QF F vs QR F showdown

For up to date Trip Photos

My instagram: @Jarvismarcos
My girlfriend K's instagram: @Euriental
K's Blog: Euriental

Part 1: LHR Terminal 2 Lounges
Part 2: LHR-BKK EVA Air Royal Laurel B77W
Part 3: Peninsula BKK
Part 4: BKK-DPS Thai Air Business Class B772
Part 5: Bali - An Overview
Part 6: Villa Shamballa - Ubud
Intermission : Monkey Forest
Part 7: Alila Villas - Uluwatu I (Arrival to Night Fall)
Part 8: Alila Villas - Uluwatu II (Sunrise to Departure)
Part 9: DPS-TPE EVA Air Premium Laurel A332
Part 10: Taipei sights and a weird French style Asian art deco hotel
Part 11: TPE-BKK-LHR EVA Air Royal Laurel B77W

Last edited by Jermyn; Aug 1, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part 1 : LHR Terminal 2 Lounges

Part 1 : LHR Terminal 2 Lounges

As departure day slowly approached I got more and more excited about this trip. A new airline, two new countries and to top it all off - Eva Air was one of the first airlines to move into the brand new Terminal 2 at LHR.

The entrance to the terminal features an enormous sculpture which looks amazing and is actually related to flight (DOH take note).

The terminal is arranged with bag drop kiosks for economy passengers first and behind these are the desks for J and F check in.

There is a fast track channel to the right of the regular ones. As always, check to see if it is actually quicker as LHR has a habit of only manning one scanner in priority lanes, a tradition which T2 hasn’t broken with.

Lufthansa Lounge

We were spoiled for choice when it came to lounges. Our first stop was the LH lounge, immediately to your right once you clear security.

As soon as we walked through the door we were hit with an amazing ‘new car smell’. I guess this will be gone by now but it is worth noting how cool it was to walk through such a new terminal.

The lounge was BUSY. Crazily so. The decor and ambiance made me think of an upscale Ikea cafeteria. The pretzels and beer are pretty much the only defining feature that would keep you here, particularly if you are flying from one of the higher numbered gates used by the Asian carriers.

Still, we were hungry so we grabbed a plate of chicken tikka each before heading off.

Plaza Premium Lounge

The next stop was the Plaza Premium lounge. An intriguing proposition. Plaza Premium is a chain of very nice lounges based in Asia and this is their first foray into Europe. We accessed it via my priority pass (given to me as an Amex Platinum card holder).

This was a real contrast with the LH lounge. Leagues ahead of it in pretty much every way imaginable. The entrance and in fact the feel of the lounge as a whole are very much like a high-end spa.

There were far less people here, the decor - elegant, modern and inviting. The lounge feels really cosy and actually like a lounge as opposed to a cafeteria. There is a soundtrack of relaxing chill out music playing in the background, not something I’ve noticed in other lounges.

We sat in the atrium near the bar. The bar has a wide variety of complimentary drinks available as well as a few premium options, available for a surcharge. I downed a couple of Campari and sodas, which were great (particularly since I’d come straight from the office!).

If you wanted to get some work done you wouldn’t have any trouble as there are universal power points everywhere and plenty of suitable tables and sitting areas.

The buffet features a variety of salad items, including a variety of different proteins, some hot dishes (with vegetarians catered for too) as well as snacks and fruit.

My favourite part was the nod to Plaza’s Asian owners: the spicy thai soup stand.

There was a huge cauldron of Tom Yum Gai with a selection of garnish bowls surrounding it. They contained coriander, beansprouts, chilis and rice noodles. I pimped out my bowl of noodles and relaxed with K for half an hour before embarking on the seemingly endless hike to the BR gate and the remaining two lounges of our tour.

I love the open feeling to the Terminal as well as the effort that has been made with all of the art installations

United Club

The United Club is an enormous, sprawling lounge containing a variety of a different seating areas, a buffet room at one end and a large bar running the entire length of the room.

We sat at the far end of the bar, which was a quiet corner in what otherwise amounts to a complete zoo. I am not kidding when I say that the gate areas in T2 are actually quieter and easier to find power sockets in, than the United Club.

Much like the LH lounge, there were a variety of troughs of slop available, Chicken Tikka was once again the main (identifiable) protein offering.

Given the sheer number of people it felt a little intrusive to take lots of pics but I did manage to snap a couple at the bar. The layout of the bar was cool but the bar staff were quite surly; when I asked for champagne I was poured a glass of prosecco. Only later did I notice that the menu actually had champagne on it, the barman had just chosen to interpret my request to mean that I wanted the cheap stuff.

Bottom line: stay in the terminal, it’s a more pleasant experience.

Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge

The maple leaf lounge was my favourite of the *A lounges (SQ just recently opened their lounge so this opinion may well change). The dragons were super friendly and welcoming. The decor was dark but soothing. Lots of glossy wooden surfaces, modern lighting and also great views of the tarmac! If connecting during the day, this would absolutely be my top choice. At the time we visited, the lounge was very busy but the staff were still very attentive and engaging.

I grabbed a quick double macchiato, as I was planning on staying awake for a while, to get my body clock in order for BKK. The macchiato was freshly made behind the bar and tasted great.

One thing I loved was how you actually felt like you were in Canada. Certain airline lounges really do feel like small embassies and Maple Leaf lounges always do this. Aside form the massively friendly staff the other obvious Canadian touch was the magazine selection.

With only twenty five minutes to go until departure we headed over to the gate, fully expecting boarding to have begun…

Last edited by Jermyn; Jun 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:50 pm

Can't wait to read the rest. I recognize the hotel from Ulawatu from the pic. Hope it was great!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:24 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part 2 : LHR-BKK EVA Air Royal Laurel B77W

Part 2: LHR-BKK EVA Air Royal Laurel B77W

LHR-BKK
EVA Air - Royal Laurel Class (J)
B777-300ER
Seat 9A

The gate areas in the satellite terminal of LHR T2 are pretty decent. There are multiple lanes built in so that boarding can easily be divided into groups. There are also numerous power outlets dotted around the seating area, these come in both standard plug and USB versions. Seating is plentiful and the whole process of boarding seems quite relaxed.

This is a good thing given that our flight was delayed by around 45 minutes. The gate area was comfortable enough and the delay easily recoverable on a long-haul flight, so most people just went with the flow and relaxed.

K goes with the flow and relaxes.

LHR T2 gates, a more comfortable experience than Y

When boarding did finally begin, we were boarded in groups but all through door 1L.

This of course makes for a somewhat awkward experience, where you’re comfortably reclined in your elegant techno cocoon, PDB in hand, exploring the IFE as the Y and PE pax traipse by. Children run off in erratic directions, people struggle with two wheeled bags through the narrow alleys, logjams form as confusion arises over seat locations or overhead space… and pretty much everyone scrutinises you and the cabin you’re in.

I know what everyone is thinking because I used to think it too.
‘How the hell do people afford this’?
‘I vow to be a good person from this day on, if by some miracle I get upgraded’
etc.

Still it's one thing knowing what people are thinking and another to hear it.
As one family walked past me, the small boy pointed to my seat and said “wow, cool! Is our seat going to be like that?”. His mum looked over at me, turned back to her son and answered simply “no”. “Why not mum”? “Because we’re not millionaires”.

I struggled to suppress a smile.

I’ve always been a fan of mini-cabins, quiet little havens in J class that give you a feeling a little more akin to flying F (if you’re used to flying on BA F, other carriers’ J mini cabins are often considerably more private…with better catering).

The mini cabin on BR is very similar in layout to that on CX. The overall feel is darker and less elegant than CX though. There is also a minor cosmetic difference in the seat itself. Much like the acquisition of Rimowa amenity kits, tracking down the Sicma Aero Cirrus in all its guises awakens a childlike urge to collect within me. Compared to BR, the seat is slightly less private as it doesn’t feature a “wing” around the head area. I haven’t flown it but understand that the original US Airways seat is similar in this respect.

The power socket is the now standard international version. There is also S-Video port (I remember using that for my SEGA Dreamcast, in the days before HDMI. Perhaps I’ll bring it along and fire up a game of Shenmue on my next BR flight ) and USB connectivity. Although as with every other airline ever, I wasn’t able to view the contents of my Android phone.

There is a large amount of open storage near the window where the headphones and a bottle of Fiji water were waiting for us. There is additional storage space near your feet with two shelves. There were slippers waiting for us there.

I quite enjoyed having various “gifts” left to discover as we explored our seats.

As we were settling down in our seats an FA approached with a trolley of PJs and amenity kits as well as scented towels. Having a Rimowa kit is a real differentiator for EVA Air. Especially given that amenity kits (of any kind) are still not the norm in J for many airlines. The PJs are also ridiculously comfortable, we still use them for lounging around our apartment.

In terms of hard product the only airline with a notably better J seat is SQ. In terms of amenities, BR is the best I’ve ever flown. One slight downside was the headphones. These aren't as good as the ones you get on AA in J but unusually AA seem to be something of a market leader in this respect.

PDBs were handed out from a tray and the only options were juice or water. I was looking forward to a glass of Dom Perignon (another major check mark for BR) but would have to wait until we were in the air.

Menus were also distributed at this time.

This is hardly news now (in fact the big news is that BR now serves Krug!) but at the time I think this was one of the first flights to load Verve Clicquot la Grande Dame instead of Dom Perignon. A huge plus in my book, also a surprising one given the importance of brand recognition in North Asia.

I was also really impressed by the fact that the menu featured Chivas Royal Salute, a firmly First Class drink which in my opinion outshines its peer in the premium blend market: Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

The FAs sprung into action as soon as we reached our cruising altitude. I went with a glass of the Grande Dame, which was as fantastically complex and satisfying a drink as always.

Around ten minutes later an FA came around to distribute meals. Whilst some people admonish airlines for serving food on trays in J, this is something I have no problem with. Cafeterias may use them but so do 3 michelin starred kaiseki restaurants in Tokyo. If my meal is served more quickly then I’m all for it.

The overall meal presentation on BR is fantastic. I’m a big fan of the pebble like salt and pepper shakers. Whilst the leaf shaped plates aren’t exactly elegant, they aren’t spartan either. EVA has picked a theme: Green - be it evergreen, royal laurel or the colour green on the inside and outside of their planes as well as the uniforms. They’ve got a concept and apply it consistently.

I never eat garlic bread on the ground but there is something about that smell. It fills the cabin long before the FAs make it to your row and you know you just have to have it.

The starter had some highly conceptual elements: fig, peppers and orange with curried prawns. To top it all off, a good old fashioned aspic jelly. I’m not sure that the combination worked 100% but full marks for effort.

The beef noodles on the other hand were just great. Any time anything is braised or slow cooked, that’s what I’ll order on a plane. Short rib is one of my favourite cuts of meat anyway, give me some marinated Kalbi and some fire and I’m a happy man. In they air though the choice is even easier. It just destroys steak. There’s no contest.

The cheese offerings were pretty pedestrian but I can understand that not everybody likes an Epoisses or Vacherin especially not within the confines of an aircraft cabin!

K took one for the team and ordered the dessert. Apparently it was really good.

After the meal I briefly looked through the IFE. One interesting point of note: there were no TV programs at all, just movies. I busied myself on the iPad for half an hour and decided to get some sleep.

At this stage the starry night sky effect had been turned on. I’m not going to lie. I got a kick out of it. As a child I had glow in the dark stars and planets all over my bedroom ceiling and this brought me right back.

There was no mattress pad but the blanket and pillow were both thick and comfortable.

I managed to sleep for a solid six hours, awaking to the aroma of coffee permeating the cabin and the sound of spoons clinking delicately against cups. I love night flights heading East. I always mange a decent sleep and really enjoy the busy rush of breakfast in the sky. A few coffees are all I need to propel me into the swirling rush of the Asian afternoon.

We were first offered towelettes, Fiji water and coffee (which was really good, espresso based coffee as opposed to the soiled water served on some airlines).

This was followed by fresh fruit.

The main course of eggs benedict and sausage was really tasty. The muffin was crunchy and the egg perfectly cooked. Pastries and bread were also on offer but I decided to save myself for Bangkok.

At this point you must all be thinking. The food is good, the have fancy branded soft drinks, spirits and champagne, PJs, slippers and Rimowa amenity kits. Why don’t people flip out over EVA Air and mention them in the same hushed tones reserved for the likes of SQ ?

The service.

Not that it wasn’t efficient, it was just very mechanical and procedural whilst the likes of JL, CX, SQ and VS can be exceptional.

On this flight the small things added up: No proactive offering of food and drink. Bottles and towelettes left uncleared. No smiles, no conversation at all.

Still, this trip involved two medium haul and two long haul flights with BR. Is the service inconsistent or just bad? You’ll have to stay tuned to find out...

Last edited by Jermyn; Jun 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:34 pm

Thanks a lot, looking forward to the rest of your wonderful trip!

Originally Posted by Jermyn
That pretty much sums it up - i never imagined being able to fly business - let alone first class !! - and now i'm one of those people i humbly stared at while passing through the front cabins
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:53 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I had not only the pleasuere, to benefit from a US DM trip back in 2014 on Thai Airways in F (http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/reis...asia_intro.htm) but only tried hard - and actually waited with the booking until BR joined - to sample BR on TPE - BKK in C (http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/reis...sia_tpebkk.htm).

In so far, your trip brings back nice memories and I am discussing to try them in Business on a Europe - Asia or Asia - The Americas flight again. It seems, that BR is really a great addition to Star

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

P.S. By the way, if flying out of HKG on BR on my trip, BR used the VS Clubhouse as lounge for their premium passengers.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Great start--always interesting to read a BR trip report. I was a bit surprised that you were happy that they had catered Veuve rather than Dom, though it's definitely a matter of personal preference. I do find Dom a bit too yeasty for my taste, and Veuve is a very nice champagne in its own right. However, if given the choice, I still probably prefer the dryer--to my uneducated palate, at least--Dom. For the record, I think Krug blows them both away.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

‘How the hell do people afford this’?
‘I vow to be a good person from this day on, if by some miracle I get upgraded’
etc.

Still it's one thing knowing what people are thinking and another to hear it.
As one family walked past me, the small boy pointed to my seat and said “wow, cool! Is our seat going to be like that?”. His mum looked over at me, turned back to her son and answered simply “no”. “Why not mum”? “Because we’re not millionaires”.

I struggled to suppress a smile.
In all fairness, it is MUCH harder to be able to crank out miles from credit cards in continental Europe and fly upfront than it is in the USA or the UK.
I still remember when I lived in Holland I looked at mileage credit cards. There were hardly any. Only the FlyingBlue AMEX. And if you wanted to use it anywhere, shops would hit you with extra fees.
So yes, the Anglosaxons should thank God on their knees they live in the "right" countries.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farbster
Can't wait to read the rest. I recognize the hotel from Ulawatu from the pic. Hope it was great!
Thanks Farbster. It was fantastic. Unfortunately it has won so many awards and accolades that the cheapest deal I can find now is around 30% more expensive than last year, putting it firmly in the Aman price bracket.

Originally Posted by ctrlf
Thanks a lot, looking forward to the rest of your wonderful trip!

That pretty much sums it up - i never imagined being able to fly business - let alone first class !! - and now i'm one of those people i humbly stared at while passing through the front cabins
Thanks!
It's a great feeling right ?

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I had not only the pleasuere, to benefit from a US DM trip back in 2014 on Thai Airways in F (http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/reis...asia_intro.htm) but only tried hard - and actually waited with the booking until BR joined - to sample BR on TPE - BKK in C (http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/reis...sia_tpebkk.htm).

In so far, your trip brings back nice memories and I am discussing to try them in Business on a Europe - Asia or Asia - The Americas flight again. It seems, that BR is really a great addition to Star

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

P.S. By the way, if flying out of HKG on BR on my trip, BR used the VS Clubhouse as lounge for their premium passengers.
Absolutely. Even when looking at cash fares BR is very competitive to BKK from LHR especially considering that it is non-stop and a night flight.

Good tip on the VS clubhouse, that's news to me.
Have you been to any of the other clubhouses? If so, how did you feel HKG compared?

Originally Posted by zcat18
Great start--always interesting to read a BR trip report. I was a bit surprised that you were happy that they had catered Veuve rather than Dom, though it's definitely a matter of personal preference. I do find Dom a bit too yeasty for my taste, and Veuve is a very nice champagne in its own right. However, if given the choice, I still probably prefer the dryer--to my uneducated palate, at least--Dom. For the record, I think Krug blows them both away.
Grande Dame isn't just any old Veuve though
All three are great champagnes in their own right yet I've never been tempted to buy Dom on the ground. If I want something drier (and often I do) I'll head straight for the Cuvee Winston Churchill.

As for Krug, an FA on NH once said to me, "it is the King of Champagnes". For a non-vintage, it's hard to argue against her.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
In all fairness, it is MUCH harder to be able to crank out miles from credit cards in continental Europe and fly upfront than it is in the USA or the UK.
I still remember when I lived in Holland I looked at mileage credit cards. There were hardly any. Only the FlyingBlue AMEX. And if you wanted to use it anywhere, shops would hit you with extra fees.
So yes, the Anglosaxons should thank God on their knees they live in the "right" countries.
Ha, I wish our bonuses were anything like the ones in the US. I guess the grass is always greener though right?

As far as USDM go, I always went for the 100% buy and share promos, since the only other way to get them would be through the SPG credit card with its 10,000 point sign up bonus.

At 1.1cpm during the best promos, this made for some unbelievably cheap F and J RTW fares.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The BR C product keeps looking better and better to me. Thanks for sharing, I am looking forward to the rest. ^
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Thanks for sharing this report! I might have to put the BR C on the list. Looking forward to your review of the Peninsula!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:04 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Absolutely. Even when looking at cash fares BR is very competitive to BKK from LHR especially considering that it is non-stop and a night flight.

Good tip on the VS clubhouse, that's news to me.
Have you been to any of the other clubhouses? If so, how did you feel HKG compared?

I know, the only problem for us in Germany is, BR does not fly to Germany, but LHR is of course not that far away

Have been in the LHR Clubhouse in 2013 on a LHR - LAX flight on Virgin and like it. HKG is small in comparison, but I like the more personal service and the design which is offered there again. And it was much more quiet than the other available options.

Currently, I am considering a return (award) Upper class flight to LAX again to sample the new Clubhouse there (it looks really nice on the report on http://www.aircraftinteriorsinternat...p?NewsID=69333)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Grande Dame isn't just any old Veuve though
Indeed! My reading comprehension failed me the first time around.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
A great start to the report - I'm looking forward to reading the rest. This is the first BR trip report I have read.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I really need to sort out earning miles from my spending but the only option in France seems to be flying blue AMEX. If anyone knows any better please enlighten me!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:51 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

The Peninsula Bangkok

Map| 4 Reviews | 100% Recommended

The Peninsula Bangkok

333 Charoennakorn Road Bangkok, TH 10600

Bali and Taipei - *A Getaway with USDM (BR J, TG J - Peninsula, Alila) (0 Photo)

The Peninsula Bangkok

Part 3: Peninsula BKK

From one Grande Dame to another...

After landing at BKK Suvarnabhumi we're through priority immigration very quickly. I was happy to observe that priority bags were unloaded first, nothing worse than having priority tags ignored. 

I used to live in BKK and always love spending time there whenever possible, unfortunately most of the time I can only snatch a day here or there so time is always of the essence. 

Not exactly a stampede today.

Although there are public transport options to get into central BKK there is an annoying change of lines involved and I always tend to go for a taxi. 

Given the Peninsula’s location on the other side of the Chao Praya, I felt that a taxi made even more sense as we’d be able to circumnavigate the major areas of gridlock around Sukhumvit.

On arrival to the Peninsula’s grounds you get the feeling that you’re not in a regular city hotel. The fact that the hotel is set within grounds as opposed to being immediately visible from the street, really sets it apart.

We were greeted by a phalanx of bell boys in the traditional Peninsula attire and escorted to the check in area. The receptionist was very polished and professional whilst also coming across as polite and interested. This was my first time at a Peninsula hotel, if I were to draw a comparison I would equate the service here with that of CX F, very discrete but also quite warm. The receptionist was very thorough in his introduction to the hotel and ensured that we were escorted through the traditional, woven-walled hallways to our room.

The hotel is designed so as to give all rooms river views, this means that there is an abundance of natural light in the bedroom, although the curtains are very much able to block it out should you choose.

The nice thing about Peninsula Hotels (much like Four Seasons) is that there is no loyalty program. This means that everybody gets to enjoy little touches like fruit plates upon arrival.

The bedside controls for lights and curtains were very old fashioned but worked perfectly. The TV and its inputs were completely modern though.

The bed was firm but squishy, like a giant solid marshmallow.

Although ours was billed as a deluxe room it had more of a junior suite feel to it - given the fact that there was a hallway with dressing mirrors, baggage area and mini bar separating the bedroom from the bathroom.

I generally tend to prefer more modern styling in my luxury hotels, Park Hyatts tend to be my favourite choice. However I have to admit I was already starting to quite like the Pen. Things really kicked into high gear when I saw the bathroom. Although bathroom seems like a bit of an understatement. This was more of a marble clad bathing sanctum.

Dual sinks.

The deep soaking tub featured a TV.

The super powerful, walk-in shower.

Oscar de la Renta amenities. (First time I've ever gotten hand sanitiser!)

After settling into the room and getting showered we decided to head into town using the Pen's famous complimentary riverboat.

The hotel grounds are beautifully maintained and the low, wide profile of the riverside bar presents a wonderful frame around the view of the Chao Phraya.

We were lucky enough to have the boat to ourselves.

We jumped onto the Skytrain and headed into Sukhumvit for a walk around, taking in the amazing sights and smells of the streets. I love the feeling of walking around in a hot country at night, as the humidity lightly clings to you. The energy of the streets and the balmy nighttime temperature made me feel like I was 6,000,000 rather than 6,000 miles from dreary East London.

I love street food but my guilty pleasure is food courts in Asian shopping malls. My face breaks into a smile at the thought of loading up the pre-paid card and darting around all the various stalls, piling up my tray with all kinds of delicious treats  We ended up at Paragon, which is not the best in BKK but still pretty damn good.

I took it fairly easy, seeing as I'd only just come off a long haul flight with nothing but the physical exertion of light unpacking, with which to work up an appetite.

Roast Duck and Duck blood - Noodle hotpot with Duck soup

Hainan Chicken rice with Crispy fried chicken and Clear soup

Those yolks with that crispy chicken. Unreal.

As we headed back to the Peninsula day had fully given way to night; the neon shimmered in the heat and reflected in the water.

The hotel grounds really come to life at night, the atmosphere is wonderful. (my mobile phone camera, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired).

Feeling a little guilty about all the eating (and not very tired due to jet lag) we decided to check out the gym.

The entrance to the spa and gym

The gym is very well equipped with a huge variety of equipment, although with it being a Saturday night, we certainly got the impression that the staff wanted us out of there so they could go home.

Quite often I've found that gym staff are trained to a different set of standards to the rest of the staff at top tier hotels. Unfortunately, the Peninsula Bangkok falls foul of this as well. 

Still, we took our cue and headed to the pool instead. The pool alone is worth visiting this hotel for. Unusually enough there were no mosquitoes at all, maybe they spray the grounds or maybe we got lucky. Either way we were happy! 

Thirsty from our swim we headed back to the room to get changed before heading to the riverfront bar.

Much like the rest of the city, our room was transformed by the night.

The view from our room.

We got to the bar just before closing time but here the staff outdid themselves. When we were told it was nearly closing time, this was followed with "but please sir, have a seat. There's still time for a relaxing drink". A selection of mixed nuts was brought over for us, along with a menu.

The barman prepared our drinks expertly and brought them over in a pair of satisfyingly heavy glasses, placed on freshly folded linen napkins.

After finishing our drinks the barman wandered over to us (15 minutes after closing time) and laid down the menus again. I said that we didn't want to hold him up, "not at all sir, relax, you're on holiday". Wow. Now that's service. Seriously.

Since he asked so nicely we were happy to oblige  We ordered two more drinks and enjoyed the warmth of the evening, listening to the nighttime insect sounds, punctuated occasionally by the sound of passing riverboat motors.

Back in the room, K said that she was feeling hungry. Her metabolism is a wondrous and efficient machine. I on the other hand wasn't particularly hungry but equally, not one to pass up on one of life's little luxuries - the ordering of room service.

We called for chicken fried rice and within 15 minutes there was a knock at the door. A bellboy in crisp white attire set down a heavy wooden tray, with a beautifully presented dish. Flowers, linen tablecloth, a side pot of chilies and a tall glass of iced water with protective cover. A fine way to end our brief evening in Bangkok.

Would you like to write a review on the The Peninsula Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.