Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Walking to the airport and other bad ideas: an impulsive trip to Eilat with Arkia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walking to the airport and other bad ideas: an impulsive trip to Eilat with Arkia

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
What a fun TR! And I loved the fact that you could just walk to and from the airport.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:21 pm

Well at least the year of the Bar Mitzvah is a good question.

Makes me want to go but it's scary to think what's going on a few miles away in the Sinai.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Cool report but I'd flip if someone asked me that about my family.
The Bar Mitzhav question is interesting though.

I remember when I was in Mexico years ago (about 6-7 I think?) my little cousin asked me, if I knew the Mexican national anthem, which I didn't (still don't since I'm not Mexican) but I didn't get why she was asking me that.
I found out shortly after that the Mexican army does random spot checks on buses looking for illegals from Central America and they way they often "test" them is to ask them to sing the Mexican national anthem!
While the bus did get stopped a few times on the trip to Torreon, I was never questioned or anything.

Israel (in general) is on my travel list. One day I'll get there.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:51 am

I also don't enjoy the security at the smaller airports. In late 2012, I was flying from Haifa to Eilat for a long weekend to photograph a weightlifting competition for a friend's website. For some reason I was asked a lot of questions and then had to speak with a supervisor who asked even more questions.

Eventually I was let go and put my camera bag and other bag through the x-ray machine. The pregnant security woman requested to open my camera bag after the x-ray. I said sure. This didn't seem that strange because (a) she had seen my earlier interrogation and (b) there were 2 cameras, a few lenses, and some other accessories, so it made sense that they'd want to check that out carefully.

She opened the bag and started looking around. A few moments later, she started yelling something in Hebrew and screaming and I was just kind of standing there looking dumbfounded. Suddenly they were demanding everyone to evacuate immediately and the whole airport was running outside! After we got outside, they separated me from everyone else, and a guy with a rifle came to stand near me.

I was pretty shocked, put my hands up (you're supposed to do that in these situations, right?), and just stood there for a couple minutes. As they say, that escalated quickly.

Then the head of security came over and asked me about this item:

that was in my camera bag. It's used to clean a camera and apparently was created in a non-ideal shape and was also placed poorly in the bag by me. I (pretty) calmly explained what it was and just he and I entered the airport so I could show him and explain. He seemed to understand and then things calmed down.

People re-entered the airport and I was allowed to proceed. Afterwards the security woman who panicked and the head of security brought me water and snacks and apologized
Old May 17, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Cheesedawg,
WOW! I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad that they were kind to you at the end (no surprise; they're usually very, very kind even when woefully misguided.)

This confirms my suspicions--and those of my friends--that the less more talented and savvy security people are at NATBAG (Ben Gurion Airport.) I've flown out of there so many times without incident.

I do hope your camera is clean now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.