Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My first ever trip report - Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Oh My!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first ever trip report - Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Oh My!

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Great pics OP brings back many memories! ^
Old May 5, 2015, 5:04 am

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Those bridge climb suits are a bit special aren't they, I have some wonderful pictures of me and my sister in them and to make matters worse it was beyond windy and I have outrageous sticking up hair too! Needless to say they aren't on display

The helicopter photos are great (both Uluru and NZ) and yes, it does look like a dinosaur ^
Old May 5, 2015, 12:42 pm

Excellent TR. Seems like you had a bit of trouble every step of the way.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

You might want to clarify for people that the IC hotel is the one on Salisbury Rd. I believe there are two in HK. We were there in August 2014 and there were seven amazing cars parked out front at one time.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

impressive first report !

good photos of one of the quay hotels (accor bought the hotels from mirvac) are useful. seem to recall balconies were said to be less common in sydney, and some of the quay hotels were said to have good views including of new years eve fireworks and opera house.

btw >

ayers property is run by http://www.voyages.com.au/ who has marketing franchise agreement with accor

Originally Posted by essjay2009
Suffice to say, if you’re visiting this area I’d recommend staying in Longitude 131 (also run by Accor) and not Sails in the Desert. Unfortunately, we didn’t realise Longitude 131 existed when we booked, but it looks far superior.
in late 2013 voyages leased Longitude 131 to http://baillielodges.com.au/ who have run it since nov 1 2013
once baillies have improved it, worth considering return and including one or both of their other two properties

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Old May 5, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Really enjoyed reading your report 👍 the pics are first class. I've always been keen to try the shotover boat but not so much the bungy jump 😰
Old May 5, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Your photos are amazing, thank you for sharing!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm working on putting together a video as well as I experimented quite a bit with Hyperlapse when I was there. The video of the helicopter from Queenstown and the takeoff over the Remarkables is pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
impressive first report !

good photos of one of the quay hotels (accor bought the hotels from mirvac) are useful. seem to recall balconies were said to be less common in sydney, and some of the quay hotels were said to have good views including of new years eve fireworks and opera house.

btw >

ayers property is run by http://www.voyages.com.au/ who has marketing franchise agreement with accor

in late 2013 voyages leased Longitude 131 to http://baillielodges.com.au/ who have run it since nov 1 2013
once baillies have improved it, worth considering return and including one or both of their other two properties
The balconies were ok at The Quay. Table and two chairs but with a lot of wasted space due to the odd shape (they ended in a sharp point that was pretty unusable, I'm assuming it's so they could angle the window in such a way). You had a good view of the Harbour Bridge but couldn't see the Opera House at all. There were fireworks on the weekend we were there (as I believe there are every Saturday?) and the Intercontinental was the perfect place to view them from (all my photos of the fireworks are very blurry though).

The ownership of sails was a subtlety lost on me. It's certainly got Accor branding all over the hotel and I booked it through the Accor site. It certainly wasn't up to the standard of other Accor 5* hotels, and I say that as someone who believes that 5* is given out too easily (especially in Australia in my opinion).

Originally Posted by farbster
Excellent TR. Seems like you had a bit of trouble every step of the way.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

You might want to clarify for people that the IC hotel is the one on Salisbury Rd. I believe there are two in HK. We were there in August 2014 and there were seven amazing cars parked out front at one time.
Excellent point. Yes it was the Salisbury Rd one. We had a little bit of trouble throughout the trip, but nothing too bad considering the complexity of our itinerary and length away. The car in Picton was definitely the hairiest moment!

Originally Posted by mike&co
Really enjoyed reading your report 👍 the pics are first class. I've always been keen to try the shotover boat but not so much the bungy jump 😰
I'm actually terrible with heights, so it was quite a bold move for me. The guy before me was terrified and when we were chatting we both decided that we were both going to just go for it without thinking. He didn't listen to his own advice and it took him almost 5 minutes to actually jump! The crowd gave him a huge cheer when he finally jumped. So I sort of had to just go for it having seen how bad you can make it for yourself.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:27 pm

Great TR, want to go to Australia now :0)
Old May 7, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

accor does own an unusually large number of hotels, but most are franchise.
(most of the biggest chains are mostly franchise, except starwood and hyatt.)

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
accor
1,402 franchise
1,387 own
787 manage
Old May 7, 2015, 8:56 pm

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:09 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Yes indeed. An excellent first effort (and a huge effort) Especially enjoyed the photos of New Zealand. Keep up the good work.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Koru
ZQN - AKL on ANZ Airbus A320 100
A very short flight at just over 90 minutes with a fair but of turbulence. The inflight snack was absurd. Have a look at the cheese to cracker ratio!
Believe it or not it became an National headline, when NZ reduced it from 3x crackers down the 2x crackers. Lucky you got that much outside of 4-7 weekdays its just tea/coffee and vegie chips or an cookie!
Old May 8, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Fantastic report! Looking forward to your next!
Old May 8, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Believe it or not it became an National headline, when NZ reduced it from 3x crackers down the 2x crackers. Lucky you got that much outside of 4-7 weekdays its just tea/coffee and vegie chips or an cookie!
I can't believe no one looked at the cracker to cheese ratio and decided it was ridiculous. And sure'y if they wanted to reduce costs cutting the cheese would have been the way to go?! It's one of the most bizarre meals I've been served.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
No, its not just you - it does look like a dinosaur! Great pics and report, thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.