FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   British Airways A380 F LHR - SFO / LAX - LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1674769-british-airways-a380-f-lhr-sfo-lax-lhr.html)

lorelai Apr 24, 2015 7:43 am

British Airways A380 F LHR - SFO / LAX - LHR

Pre-Trip Planning

This is only my second ever trip report, I'm no literary genius, nor do I have great photography skills, so please be kind to me! :)

Having grown up and all gone our separate ways, every year my parents, brother and I reunite for a big family holiday, usually to somewhere in the US. I am not ashamed to say that we are big Disneyworld fans, so that tends to be where we go, but this time we fancied heading back to the West Coast. The last time we had done that was when we exhibited at Semicon West quite a few years back, so we were pretty excited to experience it again, and for my husband who now gets to tag along (I’m not saying that’s the only reason he married me…) it would be his first time on the West Coast and only his second time in the US.

We finalised our plans as follows:
Fly out from LHR to SFO and spend 4 nights there, before picking up a car (I say car, it was more like a monster truck) and driving down the Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles, stopping overnight in Cambria about half way between the two. We would stay in Los Angeles for 5 nights, and it had been a dream of my mums for some time to stay at Shutters on the Beach at Santa Monica, so that’s where we opted for.

We were looking at a variety of options flight-wise, including VS in Upper Class and BA in Club World or First, dependant on price. My dad has been desperate to fly on the A380, so in the end that’s what swung it. I kept my eye on pricing and eventually quite a nice price came up, so we booked into First Class with BA.

Pre-Flight

Fast forward, and the time had come to leave. It was an excruciating wait for those months before the flight, but then it seemed to arrive all of a sudden. We got a taxi down from Sheffield to London Heathrow the day before so we could start the holiday off on Easter Friday, which incidentally was also my brother’s birthday. We stayed at the Sofitel, which was fine, but to be honest I hadn’t realised that things would be cut back for the bank holiday…there was only one restaurant open, the bar didn’t open until late (and even later by the time they had bothered to actually open their doors and let customers in), it just hadn’t occurred to me that things wouldn’t be open. Nevertheless, we had a nice time, the evening meal was good and the stay was fine.

After buffet style breakfast in the hotel the next morning, we wandered over to Terminal 5 at about 11 as our flight wasn’t until 2.05pm. For some reason at this point I started to feel a bit unwell, I think I have secret nerves about travelling and flying that I’m unaware of, as I actually really enjoy it, but before flying I start to feel a bit sick. This meant I didn’t really appreciate the whole check-in/security experience, but if I recall correctly it was all quite easy. I thought that the little area set up for First class was really sweet, and I sat in a lot of the really comfy plush chairs on the way round the queue.

The Lounge

Through the other side and into the Concorde Room, and I started to feel a bit more at ease, particularly after the first glass of champagne. We sat out on the terrace area (near that weird horse lamp…) and I know I’ve read before on here that people find it difficult to get served sat out there, but we had a very attentive member of staff take care of us and make sure that we were constantly topped up with drinks (we didn’t actually sample any of the food in the lounge).

The lounge itself was nice, it had quite a calm feeling, and I liked the look of the bar. The only other lounge we’ve been in that stands out in my mind is the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at LHR, which in my opinion is better and fills up your time more, but it was still a very good lounge.

After a while we set off to Satellite C to board our plane. I found that whole process pretty easy really, the thought of a shuttle etc. was a bit daunting to my delicate stomach, but all went well. Walking along I managed to get a pretty rubbish shot of the plane, I couldn’t tell you which one it was, though (I feel like that’s not the first time I will make that comment).

Boarding was a bit of a shambles, they called all of the usual suspects to go forwards first, and they kept announcing very clearly over the tannoy ‘using both lanes’, but obviously the woman checking the passports couldn’t hear this as we went over to the other lane and were barked at! The person making the original announcement shouted down to her ‘both lanes’, but it was all very messy. But not to worry as we were soon taking the first tunnel down to the plane.

4 April 2015
British Airways
BA287
London Heathrow (LHR) to San Francisco (SFO)
A380
First Class

We were greeted straight away and shown to our seats (albeit directed to the wrong side of the aircraft, but we just did the ol’ switcharoo). My husband and I were in seats 2E&F, with my parents and brother taking 2A, 2K and 3A. First impression of the cabin was that it was very peaceful, quite private and the suites were much bigger than I anticipated. At check-in there were only supposed to be 7 of us in First Class, but a couple of extra people had joined us so we had 9 altogether. I managed to get a few snaps of the cabin, sorry that they are quite poor, I felt a bit self-conscious taking photos with everyone stood around getting comfortable.

The Cabin Crew were very nice and came round almost as soon as we had found our seats with amenity kits, pyjamas, slippers and, of course, some champers, orange juice or water. I opted for the champagne whilst I got acquainted with my home for the next 10 hours. I thought that the actual chair was very comfortable, and I liked the ‘flight ready’ mode, it wasn’t too upright for take-off. I also really liked the controller for manoeuvring the seat, as well as the little storage area just next to it, which was big enough for my book, glasses and to store the blanket/pyjamas/amenity kit until next needed.

We were offered a couple of top-ups of champagne before we took off, menus were handed out and post-take-off drinks orders taken. Having never been on the A380 before, I’m not sure I was prepared for how much it feels like it’s just dawdling down the runway. I was concerned that we wouldn’t even get off the ground! But we did, and it was lovely, very smooth, and very quiet.

Once in the air, hot nuts and post-take-off drinks were handed out. At this point my mom came to sit in my buddy seat, and I was impressed by how much space there was when we were both sat in the suite.

We were also asked what we wanted to eat at this point. I was under the impression that the tasting menu was available on all A380 First flights and in fact, YouFirst had sent me a tasting menu for this leg of the journey by email, so I was very excited to be able to try that out. Unfortunately when the menu came there was no mention of a tasting menu, just the three course menu and the Bistro choices. I know I should have asked why, but I don’t like to make a fuss and I liked the look of most of the options on the menu. The menu was as follows:

To start I chose the Scottish langoustines, followed by the Fillet of beef. I regret to inform you that my photo taking abilities got even worse at this point.

We were first served an amuse bouche which was smoked salmon.

The starter then arrived (which I don’t have a picture of), and I had this accompanied by some bread and butter, and a glass of the Pinot Gris, which was quite lovely. The FA who was serving our side of the airplane brought the Moscato first by accident, which I definitely was not keen on, but it was quickly swapped, and was sort of our fault anyway as he said ‘the Italian one?’ and we wholeheartedly agreed without checking.

The filet of beef was up next, and this was actually slightly better than expected. Yes, it was tough and no, it wasn’t rare, but it was definitely edible and I enjoyed it. The sauce was nice and the potato thing was good too. The vegetables were obliterated, but honestly if there’s one part of the meal I don’t mind being ruined, it’s definitely the vegetables! I had this course with a glass of Chianti Classico which was really tasty and matched the main well.

We then had the choice of dessert or cheese, I actually couldn’t be bothered with either, but my mom and I did decide to have a glass of dessert wine. By this time, my dad had joined my husband in his buddy seat, having both finished their meals, and the FA brought us some chocolates to share…and left them with us. He also brought us the rest of the bottle of dessert wine, and asked whether he should open up another one. We decided, whilst it was a lovely offer, it was probably best not to. There were still many hours left.

After dinner I decided to have my chair converted into a bed and watched the film ‘Gone Girl’ which I had seen before. There were quite a few new films that I haven’t seen before on offer, but I don’t have the attention span on flights to watch a new film. I’m too distracted by noises and people and movement. I think it’s more commonly known as being nosey. The bed was really quite comfy and I was able to lay down in many positions including on my side and front, and half way through the film I did drop off.

By the time I woke up it was time for Afternoon Tea. The FA asked me what I wanted, did I want sandwiches, cakes, the pastry or scones. I helpfully responded ‘yes’, so was brought almost everything. I thought the pastry/tart thing was delicious, and having seen many menus of afternoon tea sandwiches, I was worried that I would hate the ones on offer as I’m a bit picky, but the choice was pretty good for me! I also had a delicious cappuccino, I’ve never had one before but now think I might be addicted.

Afternoon tea done and dusted, it was time to begin our descent. It was one of those landings that I didn’t think would ever actually happen, plus sitting in the middle seats you can’t see out of the window without leaning far forward, so I had no concept of how close to the ground we were. It seemed to be quite windy as we were swaying quite a lot, but eventually we touched down just about on time, then through immigration very quickly (to be received by a very friendly chap on the desk…unnerving!), and the bags arrived, looking extremely battered (new one has a nice big dint in it now, thanks for that!), but all in all very painless.

Summary for this flight

The flight attendants on this journey were superb. They were so friendly, chatty (but not in an annoying intrusive way) and more than willing to get anything for you or ‘go the extra mile’. We really felt looked after, and I was very pleased to have such a good crew after some comments I had read about BA crew. The food was good, it wasn’t ‘excellent’, but I’ve definitely had worse. The seat and cabin felt very spacious and relaxing, and just generally it was a very good flight.

During the Trip

Here are just a few pictures from our travels on the West Coast:

All too quickly it was time to come home again. I really did not want to leave, the weather had been so kind to us and I knew it wouldn’t be back in England, and I for once felt so relaxed and as though I had a proper holiday. But, one of the good things about travelling back first class is that you don’t feel so much like the holiday is ending when you arrive at the airport, there is still something (hopefully) fun to come.

Pre-Flight

We dropped our car off at Dollar, and then had to get the shuttle bus back to the airport. Once again I was having that anxious sick feeling, so it wasn’t a pleasant ride, but we met a lovely couple from New York on the bus and had a nice chat with them. We got to check-in and there was no one in front of us so we got straight to checking in. Everything seemed to be fine, but then the Check-in Agent pointed out that they had been informed from the incoming A380 that one of our seats was stuck in the upright position. Obviously this was annoying news, but the way that it was handled was wonderful. They said that an engineer would be looking at it when it arrived in LAX, but if there was nothing they could do they would hold a business class seat for us should the person in that seat wish to go to sleep. They also gave us contact details for Customer Services in order to claim compensation (I imagine it would be miles or something, I don’t know if my dad’s contacted them yet, as it was his seat). Whilst annoying, it wasn’t a game ruiner, and my dad doesn’t tend to go to sleep anyway, so it wasn’t the end of the world.

We went through security, which was relatively fast, although a bit haphazard. A woman (who was arguing with her husband the whole time through security, and then still arguing when we landed back in Heathrow in the queue for passport control – it was interesting!) just left her bag on the floor near the scanners, and we had to point it out to the security guard, who just kinda looked a bit bewildered and unsure what to do or think of the situation! Anyway, we made it through eventually without having to go into lock down and went into the Qantas First lounge.

Lounge

The lounge was quite nice actually, nothing ‘exciting’ but very comfortable. We were served in there by such a wonderful lady, it was impossible not to be cheered up by her. She was friendly, very attentive, made sure we had everything we needed all the time, and she was hilarious. I miss her! We had quite a bit of champers, and sampled some of the menu. I can’t remember exactly what we had, I think my mom had a fish curry, someone had a reuben sandwich, I had some mozzarella and prosciutto salad, they were all really nice actually. We just had those whilst lounging on some comfy chairs instead of using the dining area, but it looked very nice in there, although the carpet in the dining area was sending my eyes a bit funny! There was a sort of self-serve bucket with wines and water in, but also a bar where you could go and order drinks. A lady came over and introduced herself to us, she was either a supervisor or manager, I can’t quite remember who she said she was, but she was essentially reiterating the check-in lady regarding the broken seat and the options open to us. She also said that she would be back just before we were due to board to tell us whether the engineer had been able to fix the seat. In the end he hadn’t been able to, but we really appreciated the effort that the staff went to to keep us up to date and in the loop, and for their concern and offers of help. All too soon it was time to board our flight back to the cold place (home).

14 April 2015
British Airways
BA282
Los Angeles (LAX) – London Heathrow (LHR)
A380
First Class

Priority boarding was 100 times better at LAX than it had been at LHR. They asked for First Class passengers to come forwards first, we were behind a few people (plus someone who definitely looked like they were ‘someone’ with their big bad bodyguard) and were told to take the first air bridge. Once at the door, we were greeted and directed to our seats. Dad’s was still broken (2K) and it looked as though there was no power going to the thing that operates the chair, hence why it was stuck in that position. Luckily there was power to the TV and everything else in his seat, so he wouldn’t be bored. I took the same seat as last time, and settled into my lovely suite. We were offered the usual champagne, orange juice and waters, and had a couple of top ups. The cabin was full on this evening flight, and not necessarily with people I would have liked to have been in there, but nevertheless when you’re in your suite, you’re quite separated from everyone else.

We pushed back just about on time and were advised of a flight time of 9 hours 50. I thought it would be closer to 11 hours, but what do I know! We were handed the menus for the flight and, yippee, there was the tasting menu! I had already seen the menu on YouFirst and was really looking forward to it, and my mom was going to join me again.

Post-take-off drinks were served along with more warm nuts. I had a glass of champagne and my mom had a Bellini which she said was nice.

I took the opportunity to go and change into my pyjamas. There is plenty of room in the wardrobe for shoes, my dress, cardigan and belt, but not a lot more. I don’t really know what else you would need it for though as the overhead bins are big.

For perspective of how much room there is in the suite, this photo was taken of me and my mom with her on my buddy seat before our tasting menu was served, and also my dad and husband in the seat next to us. Faces removed obviously, we don’t really look like that.

Pretty soon the table was set for dinner.

The FA asked us which wine we would like with our meal, and we asked to do the wines that were listed in the tasting menu for each course, which he was very happy to do. For each course, he first brought two new glasses, showed us the bottle of wine, and then poured us a little taste, which was then topped up when we were agreeable (which we were, very).

First up was the amuse bouche which was prosciutto and melon essentially.

Then we had the lamb carpaccio, which was absolutely beautiful! So succulent and tender, and quite a big portion really!

My husband had the tomato soup to start, which he said was nice, and he did give me a little taste and it seemed fine. A bit Heinzy. Naturally, as he had chosen soup it was time for some turbulence.

Next up was the asparagus veloute and I’m afraid I don’t have a picture of this, but it was tasty.

The fish course was up next, and again this was a relatively big portion and quite nice.

The beef filet main was fine, again overcooked, but perfectly edible, and I really have a thing for celeriac so I enjoyed that.

My mom opted out of the dessert (not the dessert wine though…) but I didn’t. It was really delicious, and I have even managed to get a photo of it where you can’t immediately tell that I’ve already eaten half of it.

My husband had crumble.

And then of course I finished it all off with a cappuccino, because, you know, new addiction an’ that.

I really enjoyed the tasting menu, it was something a little bit different and made it seem more of an occasion. It also very much filled me up, I didn’t even have cheese. I love cheese. After dinner I decided it was time to settle down for a sleep. I’m really rubbish at sleeping on flights, but I did manage to get a couple of hours on and off. I was very rudely awoken in the middle of my nap, as was my brother, by the daughter of a woman in First (the daughter was not seated in First) bounding down and sitting on her mom’s suite and speaking very loudly (bordering on shouting) to her in her annoying teenage tones. I took exception to that and in a very English way, thought about all the ways I would tell her to shut up in my head.

I was just managing to feel actually tired (it really wasn’t that late on LA time) when I saw my husband had his table set up for breakfast, so it was time for me to get up. I quickly went and got dressed before they asked me about breakfast. Once I was back, the FA asked me what I would like, so I chose a glass of orange juice, a cappuccino and the full English breakfast. I sort of ate the breakfast too quickly, so there’s no picture of that. Sorry!

After breakfast, I decided to put some make up on and do my hair. I was very upset when this woman at the back of the cabin stood up and looked bloody gorgeous, even after the 10 hour flight. Her hair was perfect and wavy and looked clean. When I took my bobble out of my hair, it stayed in the ponytail. Really annoying!

We were in a holding pattern for about half an hour before landing, so I think the flight was about 10 hours 30 minutes altogether. When we arrived in Heathrow there was quite a big line for passport control, so this delayed us slightly, but the baggage was already off when we got through, so it was off to find our transportation home.

Summary of Flight

The crew were again good on this flight, although lacked some of the flair and attention to detail to the ones on the way out. I know it’s a night flight so there isn’t as much to do and but they just weren’t as friendly. They were still fine though! The main problem I had with this flight was the heat when we’re supposed to be trying to sleep. It was absolutely boiling and I enquired about turning the heat down but was told they couldn’t. I don’t know how any one sleeps like that, it was just ridiculous. The food was delicious though, the entertainment worked fine, and all in all another good flight. I can’t help but think about the New York flight I had in Virgin Upper Class last year which was really something else. I’ve had dodgy flights with Virgin in the past, but that one was exceptional and I feel like I needed something extra from BA to even compete, and that’s with Virgin’s ‘premium business’ product. But would I fly again with BA in First Class? Yes, almost certainly.

offerendum Apr 24, 2015 8:28 am

Nice journey. I still like BA F, but never flown it on the A380.

Andriyko Apr 24, 2015 11:55 am

Wonderful report! Thank you for sharing.

BingBongBoy Apr 24, 2015 2:23 pm

I am glad you enjoyed your flights…

I don't work on the A380, and have never been on one… But, will have to give it a try one day.

Really nicely written report ^

caimaster Apr 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Entire family in F, that is a great way to travel!

I'm glad you enjoyed California

halfcape Apr 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip report. It looks like you and your family had great fun.

LDNConsultant Apr 24, 2015 4:26 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed California!! Slowly wanting to go back home to Bay Area after your TR #BayArea

FlyerTalker6245 Apr 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Great TR. A shame about your temperature issues on the return.

makin'miles Apr 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Wonderful report - an enjoyable read! Thank you!

Ceasy Apr 24, 2015 11:16 pm

Is the BA F seat the same as the AA new J seat?

Digital01 Apr 25, 2015 4:49 am

Excellent report, I'm glad you had a positive BA experience for the most part, out of curiosity, other than your father using a business class for sleep, what other options did they offer you? That would not be my ideal scenario, and I hope you get adequately compensated.

BHDATC Apr 25, 2015 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Ceasy (Post 24717823)
Is the BA F seat the same as the AA new J seat?

No definitely not. It is bigger, wider, better padded and more comfortable.

Nice report. I share your thoughts on staff on returns to LHR especially on night flights being much more process driven than 'going the extra for the F experience'. Generally they just seem tired.

I am sure they can adjust the heat in the cabin. Odd.

Great pictures. Your outbound non tasting menu is the very same menu they are using to JFK this month with the very NOT F sausages.

BahrainLad Apr 25, 2015 8:34 am

Nice report. But sausage and mash, in F? Blimey.

lorelai Apr 26, 2015 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Digital01 (Post 24718372)
Excellent report, I'm glad you had a positive BA experience for the most part, out of curiosity, other than your father using a business class for sleep, what other options did they offer you? That would not be my ideal scenario, and I hope you get adequately compensated.

Hello Digital01, thank you :) all they could offer us then and there was a seat saved in business class, the hope that someone wouldn't turn up in first (but it was full and everyone turned up) and the customer services number for compensation. Not ideal but I suppose it wasn't their fault at check in and there weren't many options. I'll let you know what compensation my dad gets if he ever gets round to it...!

lorelai Apr 26, 2015 2:54 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad (Post 24718914)
Nice report. But sausage and mash, in F? Blimey.

I know, I thought it was a bizarre choice! My husband had it and enjoyed it but still. I didn't particularly want beef I would have preferred a chicken dish but I didn't have much choice seeing as I didn't want bangers and mash ha.