Around The World In First On a380’s (Singapore & Emirates) And A Side Of United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around The World In First On a380’s (Singapore & Emirates) And A Side Of United

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by rkaradi
. . . .but hey when you’re financed with state run money and have deep pockets full of gold…errr oil I mean, you can get away with it.
Thanks for the report. As a regular, I always enjoy the EK updates.

The bit I've quoted however grated a bit as EK is a profit making business and Dubai doesn't have any oil, contrary to what may be said by some of the US airline apologists.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
It's A Lounge It's A Terminal It's A Lounge- Emirates First Class Lounge Dubai Termin

TRIP REPORT INDEX: AROUND THE WORLD IN FIRST ON THE A380

It's A Lounge It's A Terminal It's A Lounge- Emirates First Class Lounge Dubai Terminal 3

The main entrance to the First Class Lounge Terminal 3
After a wonderful flight from San Francisco I had a little wait in Dubai. I had landed a little after 7 PM and had a glorious departure to Seoul at 2 AM. Yeah was I psyched!! Really I was not, this was a crummy time to have to hang around the airport or the city. I could have left the airport for 4 hours or so, but I’m not sure what I could have done after say 10 PM. I’m sure there’s stuff open, but I really didn’t do much research, and wasn’t in the mood to just wander around. Now if it was earlier in the day I would have for sure done that but with that late of a departure, I knew I would be tired soon and didn’t want to “find something to do”. The alternative was get a hotel either in the airport or outside, but again for the short duration, I was not keen on spending upwards of $150 USD for a bed.

This dilemma left me one choice, and one choice alone. Hang out in the Emirates First Class Lounge in Terminal Three. I had read a few reports about it, and was pretty psyched to try it out. There were many reasons for this, the main one I think was just the simple fact that it spans the entire length of terminal three, and the sheer size of it had me intrigued.

Chandelier at one of the seating areas
I know that Lufthansa has its First Class Terminal in Frankfurt, and Qatar has theirs too, but I have never had a chance to experience them, and so this was my opportunity to try something like a Lounge that’s a terminal that’s a lounge.

Once I exited my plane I made my way to the middle of the terminal, I had landed in T-3 so all I had to do was walk about five minutes to the center of the terminal and access the lounge, sorry no buggy service here. What do you think I am a Sheik? As far as I know Emirates doesn’t offer First Class guest connecting ground service in Dubai. They do offer chauffer drive (which is complimentary chauffer service to/from hotel to the airport. But this is only one purchased first/business class tickets. The lounge is located on the fourth floor of T-3 with the business class lounge on the third. So after a quick elevator trip up a few floors I was on the fourth level. Straight ahead was the sliding doors to the lounge and to the left was the spa. Yup they have a spa too!!

One of many seating areas

After a quick scanning of my boarding pass I was in. The greeter directed to either go left or right once in the lounge and that’s about it. I had to inquire on how to book a spa service or how to access my gate. At the time of my arrival I was informed that my flight was departing from another terminal and that I would have to make my way there on my own, and that they didn’t make any announcements in the lounge unless there was a delay or gate change. Frankly I was a little disappointed in the lack of service or just basic information about what was where. The lounge has a very large quiet room, free Wi-Fi, mini-buffets throughout, a dining room with table service, showers and even duty free, as well as gate boarding access to all T-3 flights. None of which I was told about. For a world class airline this was kind of a surprise. Lufthansa and Singapore in their flagship lounges walk you to your seats, take drink orders and help you get settled. Emirates get with the program.

As I mentioned above the lounge was pretty set up. Besides the amenities I just mentioned, they had a cigar lounge, Skywards Concierge and wait staff throughout the terminal. The crazy part to the left and right of the main entrance the lounge was a mirror image of itself. The break was at gate A11 I believe. So whether you went left or right, you had a complete lounge on both side with all the same features. So freaking crazy!!!

Once I got in the lounge I immediately walked around to check out all the nooks and crannies. As well as skype the wife and kid. I was enjoying my solo trip around the world, but was missing the family. After wandering and chatting, I made my way to the quite room. Which was quite large and probably had 20 or so loungers. None were 100% private, but some were more secluded then others and at this hour I had no problem finding an open spot, in fact I was the only one in the place, and had my pick any of the private ones I could find. I promptly set an alarm got comfortable and slept for a few hours. It was really great. They didn’t have blankets but had bolsters and pillows, plus universal power plugs, which was great since I smartly choose to not bring my universal adaptor. The best part about the lounge was knowing that in this huge dessert, I would not die of thirst. Again my wife kept asking mw to pilfer some waters.

After a nice slept it was time for another shower, this was only my second one of the trip, but the first one on the ground J. The shower rooms were nice, they were not huge but were big enough for one person. Although I’d almost say that the ones on the a380 were probably about the same size, except these had larger showers. Funny huh. Sorry for not providing a picture of the shower digs.

After a very much needed shower it was time for a spa treatment. At some point prior, I had gone by the spa and booked a treatment. Every first class passenger is allowed one option free of charge. Choices range from various massages, to a pedicure and even a haircut or for the ladies a blow dry. I chose the 15 minute back and shoulder massage and could have added time for a price, but I want to say 45 minutes more was about $100 USD and I was not keen to pay that. In any event the spa was a much needed amenity, that I’m glad I took advantage of. Its open 24 hours, so you have a shot of using it at any time, I’m guessing it’s best to schedule as soon as you arrive to get the best option. Again here I think Emirates could really go all out and offer 45-60 minutes, you’re flying first and are probably paying tens of thousands to have the honor to be here, you’d think they’d take a page out of Thai Airways book and give you more free time. If you’re going to pamper people in the air with a shower, an enclosed suite and pretty darn good service, you’d expect a little more special ground service.

Computer and TV lounge

My sleeping space

One of about a million Voss water staions

After a great shower and an even better massage, it was time for dinner at midnight. You’d think I was in Paris or Madrid, and just getting my day started. You might be asking why eat on the ground, when I will get a full meal in the air. Well the simple answer is this, I was hungry and who said I wouldn’t eat on the plane too .

I made my way to the dining room. Though they have min-buffets every few gates, and the food there looked great, I wanted to try out the dining room, since they had a menu too. In either case the min-buffets or here you had a large self-service are plus full bar with many choices. I was currently on an all Voss water diet so that’s all I consumed. The waiter was slightly shocked when I said I’d pass on wine.

I chose to eat light and had THE BEST meal I’ve ever had in a lounge. I’m going to attribute that to quite possibly my best ever desert. Ever, even in a real restaurant. That’s probably why I was so happy with this meal. I mean look at it, the re-imagined Rocky Road was freaking amazing to look at and eat. Thank you Emirates for this.

Service on the whole was really good too. But that desert, 3 weeks later I still think about it.

The vast dining room

Buffet options in the dining room

More options

And more options

Poached shrimp with heirloom tomatoes avocado mousse and olive olive

The best desert ever. An upmarket rocky road (white chocolate, chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup)

After dinner it was time to head out to the gate, sometime during the night the gate changed, and I was lucky enough to leave from T-3. No announcement was made, I just happened to notice, but that’s ok at least I didn’t have to head to T-1. The best part departing from the lounge. .... Yup that’s right, all I had to do was head to my gate on this floor, have the agent scan my pass and head out to an elevator.

The second floor is for first and business and the first floor for coach, so all I did once scanned in is take the common elevator two levels down. This elevator is only for the lounge and all the gate have walkways to the planes, all you had to do was go to your gate and you were directed to where to jet off too.

This was really slick, no need to mix with the unwashed masses, and all you had on this level were first class guests, which I saw all of two more. So freaking cool!! Now onto Seoul.

The elevator down to my plane

Overall I really liked the lounge, did I need to spend 6 hours here? No. Would I again if I had a long layover? Only if it was a redeye like this. Otherwise I’d go to town. Dubai is so easy to navigate, the metro goes right to the airport, and it’s cheap and easy to use too. Plus the city is beautiful, and there’s a lot to see and do. This lounge is great, and definitely worth a visit for 2-4 hours for sure.

It was a great respite for me, and allowed me to sleep, eat and get clean. This local who was in the lounge chose to tell me he always stays the night at the airport when he has a morning flight, because of the free stuff I mentioned. Crazy or genius you decide.

My main gripe is the little things. They have a nice lounge with lots of services and features, and plenty of staff, but they don’t help you per se. I mean I expected a quick rundown of services and such, and isn’t get one. It just wasn’t polished except for the dining room (food and service). The rest was good but not great. I would never ever say, “no I’m not going here again.” But if I had to choose between Lufthansa Frankfurt and here, I’d pick Lufthansa, hands down. If you’ve been to both you’d understand for sure.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Mission Accomplished: First Class RTW on A380's- Emirates Dubai to Seoul, My Final Fl

Mission Accomplished: First Class RTW on A380's- Emirates Dubai to Seoul, My Final Flight

TRIP REPORT INDEX: AROUND THE WORLD IN FIRST ON THE A380

Sadly all good things must come to an end, scratch that, it would be nice if they didn’t. This was my last flight of my a380 around the world trip. And I was a little sad about it for sure. I had three count them three great flights on Singapore Airlines on their a380’s and one amazing flight thus far on Emirates and now I was about to embark from Dubai to Seoul.

After about a seven hour layover in Dubai in their glorious terminal three lounge I headed for the plane. When departing from T-3 in first class you have the opportunity of boarding from it. There are gates on the fourth level in the lounge, once your boarding pass is scanned you take an elevator down two levels and walk to your plane. The only other people on this level are other guests heading to their flights also in first. Once you make your way to your plane you board on the upper deck turn left and head to your seat. You know you’re living the good life!!

My coach for the next 8 1/2 hours

Emirates offers 14 seats in first where most have 8 or 12. It doesn’t feel crowded, but it’s surprising since they are such a premium airline. This is an area where I think they could get a bit more innovative and find a way to shrink the seats in the cabin and offer more space per person. Capture

Again, it doesn’t feel cramped, but if I were to rank the personal space and usage of it per person of the four a380’s I’ve flown, it would go Singapore, Asiana, Emirates and then Thai. Don’t get me wrong there are many things Emirates does RIGHT, showers in the air and an amazing business class lounge at the back of the second deck. As well as mostly amazing service, I’ll get to that a bit later on. I found the cabin beautiful in its own way if not a bit blingy, they are just a little over the top I guess. But hey Emirates is Emirates and they don’t shy away from this, and that’s ok. I have to admit up front that this review could be better, but after 13 reviews thus far in this trip report and 9 other flights I was a little pooped of photos and travel details, so forgive me if I don't dissect every detail here. If you want to read 4000 words about my glorious trip from San Francisco to Dubai on an identical bird here you go.

After being seated in my fabulous seat I was ready to drink, eat , sleep and shower. Yes in that order. It was past 2 AM local time, and I was ready to just relax.

The lap of luxury

My seat for the last flight
I really loved the seat and space, plenty of room to relax and enjoy a good Dom 2004 and a crappy movie. Emirates subtly hits you over the head with amenities. Ranging from a lie flat seat, sliding doors to your suite, an iPad control center, electronic double window shades, desk lamp, personal light, vanity mirror, and yes I needed it. Additionally it offers a mini-bar , storage closet for your clothes and no they don;t want you to fly naked that's what the comfy pajamas are for!! Finally, they provide you with slippers, eye shades and a pretty cool amenity kit.

Sefie

Champers
A little bit of pre-departure Champagne to get the flight started out right.

Arabic Coffee, dates and Champagne
Electronic controls separate from the iPad controls, air nozzles and window shade controls

IMG_0177

Sunrise

With so many goodies you get a bag. Its actually nice too. Canvas and lined to boot.

A bag for all my goodies

IMG_0170
Jammies

Amenity kit

Scotch and then some more for good measure

The dinner and drink menu. Because they offer a la carte dining. You get to choose what you want when you want and I suppose how much too. I didn't eat a ton, but on two flights I was not denied a darn thing, let alone have them run out.

Menu

And dinner was served. I started with the Arabic Mezze and it was fabulous. Really this was enough but I just had to have a little more.

Stir Fried Prawns in ginger sauce with rice and vegIMG_0194

An incredible cheese plate to finish off the meal

After a 2 or three hour nap I was awoken for my allotted shower time. Emirates offers and incredible and yes I mean incredible amenity. A shower at 35,000 feet. Every first class guest is asked right after take-off when they would like to schedule theirs, I choose 2 1/2 hours prior to arrival. Once I was woken, the flight attendant carried my clothes to the bathroom, gave me a quick rundown of the shower and safety procedures and then left me alone for my 20 minutes of luxury. The room is large even for a New York apartment. You have a long covered bench concealing the toilet, a large sink at the far end. Plus a SHOWER, with 5 minutes of hot water. Also lots of bath products to boot, and yes I had to pilfer some . This is just a cool cool feature and you haven't lived till you've taken a shower on a plane I promise you that 100%. The shower has a meter that tells you how much time you have and you can start and stop it when you want, so you can manage the 5 minutes to its best. Surprisingly, it was enough time for sure.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS:

I had a good flight overall, but I had to say that the staff on this flight was 2 1/2 if the last flight was 5 stars. Why do I say this? Service and service alone. I had a really difficult time communicating with the staff. During the pre-flight introductions, the pilot was proud to mention that 15 different languages were spoken by the crew. The problem was that the crew working first spoke English just not that well. Now I don't speak Arabic or Korean so do I expect perfection? No. But I do expect to be able to communicate, and that was really tough. A 100% difference then the flight from the US. This really surprised me for a global airline, and one that's growing at an exponential rate. For example when I was ordering my meal, I had to point at every item I wanted sine the person taking orders could not understand me. Same went for ordering drinks too. Again this is a slightly minor issue, but it was just annoying that I could not communicate that well with the crew. Would this prevent me from flying Emirates ever again? No. This was my fourth flight ever on EK, and the first time this happened.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:16 am

Talking

Thank you for this very thorough report. I'll be using this lounge for the first time in a couple months on a flight from BKK to FRA and back. I agree a 15 minute massage is pretty short...I would think 30 would be much preferable. I'll be sure to give that Rocky Road dessert a try too if it's still on the menu.

One question I have...I've been reading about this cigar lounge in the First Class lounge. As an occasional cigar smoker, I curious if they provide sticks either for purchase or for free (wouldn't that be something) or does one have to bring their own to enjoy a smoke?

On the direct entry boarding gates for premium passengers at many airports these days (especially for A380s), I'm of two minds. While it is nice not having to muck around amongst the prols when waiting to board or actual boarding when you're "above it all" literally and figuratively, you also don't get the enjoyment of walking past them all while you board in the premium lane and these huddled masses are standing in a line of hundreds waiting to board look on at you in envy.

Last edited by matthandy; Apr 26, 2015 at 5:40 am Reason: Remove long quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
you also don't get the enjoyment of walking past them all while you board in the premium lane and these huddled masses are standing in a line of hundreds waiting to board look on at you in envy.
I'm sorry, what?

Sure, I'm very much relieved when I see a huge line at the gate which I know I don't have to queue for, but the quoted section above just makes me cringe.

It sounds as though you would perhaps also enjoy it when you're sat in F or J and the entire aircraft's worth of Y passengers walk past you with the same look of envy. Personally I can't think of anything worse.

But we're all different, I suppose.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
I'm sorry, what?

Sure, I'm very much relieved when I see a huge line at the gate which I know I don't have to queue for, but the quoted section above just makes me cringe.

It sounds as though you would perhaps also enjoy it when you're sat in F or J and the entire aircraft's worth of Y passengers walk past you with the same look of envy. Personally I can't think of anything worse.

But we're all different, I suppose.
Funny I used to like that too but now would consider it an annoyance. All those people, their bags, boisterous kids, and crying babies passing by...thankfully, it isn't necessary on most modern long-haul jets. The pre-boarding walk-by, however, is just right.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

One question I have...I've been reading about this cigar lounge in the First Class lounge. As an occasional cigar smoker, I curious if they provide sticks either for purchase or for free (wouldn't that be something) or does one have to bring their own to enjoy a smoke?
I didn't go in but I have to imagine they are all free. At the LH First class term and lounge in FRA they are free in the Cigar bar. No way EK would stand for making the F class guests pay .
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:56 am

I didn't go in but I have to imagine they are all free. At the LH First class term and lounge in FRA they are free in the Cigar bar. No way EK would stand for making the F class guests pay .
I'm pretty sure I've read recently (last 2 or 3 weeks?) over on the EK forum that the cigars have to be paid for.

Have a search over there.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Really wonderful TR, including the photos! I've flown SQ A380 suites before and found your review captured that great experience very well. Haven't yet flown EK F, but your review whetted my appetite for it. Thanks for posting all of this.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:28 am

Thank you for the trip report. I'm amazed that people are commenting on his commenting about people waiting to board or have questions about the cigars. I'm shocked no one has commented on the pissing in the shower.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
Thank you for the trip report. I'm amazed that people are commenting on his commenting about people waiting to board or have questions about the cigars. I'm shocked no one has commented on the pissing in the shower.
I know I thought long and hard about making that note in the TR. but hey you know I'm not the only one that's done it. Not that it makes it right or anything.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:19 pm

I know I thought long and hard about making that note in the TR. but hey you know I'm not the only one that's done it. Not that it makes it right or anything.
No problem, im sure many (at least guys) do it...it's the most comfy was to go. Just let the shower water splash over you and let her rip.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
I just read this whole thing & the Singapore segment reminded me of my adventures there The Sheraton Towers are just down the street from my friend's apartment (he's moved away since) but more importantly, Newton Food Centre!!! Ahhhhhh, I pigged out so much over there! Singapore's street cuisine is simply unparalleled. Miss it very much, thank you for reminding me!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Nice report.

The Emirates First section just doesn't get old. The experience still looks grand!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: Miles & More; Emirates; United; Delta
Excellent report! I'm looking forward to experiencing the EK A380 first class cabin when I travel from Dubai to Los Angeles next month. I usually fly business, but had enough miles saved up to upgrade to FC on the DXB to LAX leg.

The last time I flew DXB - LAX, Emirates provided chauffeured service to complimentary lodging at the JW Marriott (world's tallest hotel) in downtown Dubai. Emirates does have amazing service, and I'm looking forward to experiencing the Terminal 3 FC lounge. I'll bring my own cigars Cheers! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.