Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

An Apartment in the Sky (Etihad Apartment First Class, AA Y, BA J/Y, QR Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Apartment in the Sky (Etihad Apartment First Class, AA Y, BA J/Y, QR Y)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
So that's what BA economy looks like.

Interesting report, I haven't read that many with such a mix of first and economy.

Regarding the catering, it's interesting that for the most part everything except EY F exceeded expectations, while EY F did not. Like many restaurants, I think trying to have so many good options leads them to not perfect anything, though from other reports, the chef really makes the difference. I don't think you can blame the catering out of LHR that much, because they have a chef who makes things onboard. Whereas on your short haul EY flight, the food is prepared in advance. This also might explain why the galley closes early (since they're not just reheating food), though based on other reports, maybe they were out of dessert.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Wow the apartment looks amazing! I hope I'll get the chance to fly on it one day.
Superb trip report, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd find it so hard to do a combination of First and economy. If you didn't know anything but economy (like Elaine Benes on Seinfeld) it would be ok. I imagine when you've been in your Etihad apartment moving to economy was a nightmare.

I wonder however, would I prefer to have 3 to 5 times more trips per year if I flew economy. I think about it then think I can't do it!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by farbster
Thanks for doing this trip report. It was a nice mix of first class and coach. It's amazing how people do survive just fine in the back.
I'm scarred for life after no business seats on a flight back from Fiji.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:51 am

Seat pitch on BA Y is not good. But the food is. And the crews.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
Thanks for the great TR. I'm floored that the food on EY was so bad!! ESP the mezze. And not getting dessert sounds pretty painful. For that retail price, I expect great soft service to go with the apartment. And bummer that the shower wasn't great. Nice liquor is good but I'd prefer better food. The BA business class food looked very good. Omg and no caviar?!?!

I'm not surprised about the lhr immigration queue but it's really annoying. Why do they have a fast track if it's so slow... I know I'm missing out on the U.K. But with high plane taxes as well, I'm ok that I was last in London in 2010...
Thank you for reading, gaobest! To be fair though, immigration is just as bad for foreigners in the U.S.

Originally Posted by farbster
Thanks for doing this trip report. It was a nice mix of first class and coach. It's amazing how people do survive just fine in the back.
Thanks, farbster! I know, right? Natually, I'm typing this out while seated in a middle seat of an AA 737. I'm just glad to be able to get home a couple of hours earlier.

Originally Posted by echen1024
It seems as if BA has stepped up their Y catering as of late. I took the exact same LHR-IAH flight maybe 5-6 years ago, and remember everything being served was close to inedible. Well, the fact that my family was seated in the bulkhead rows, and the fact that I was short enough to lie flat across the row of seats is some form of consolation, I guess.
Well, that was my first BA longhaul. So I don't have a point of comparison there, but I've flown them shorthaul a couple of times and found everything to be pretty edible.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Flying in Etihad's Apartment - What a remarkable way to fly! Thanks for taking us along via this fine report, dat4life! I can't say I envy you the memories of that fine experience though - if it were me it would haunt my every flight in Business or Coach thereafter. Thanks again for the great report! ^
Thanks, [b]Seat 2A]/b]! It was tough, but I managed to survive.

Originally Posted by isaifan
Perfectly stated. I agree 100%. Thanks for the report.
Thank you for reading, isaifan!

Originally Posted by MarylandFlyer244
I really enjoyed the report! I like seeing the mix of the ultra-premium cabins and economy cabins. Gives a good perspective!
Thanks, arylandFlyer244

Originally Posted by dylanks
So that's what BA economy looks like.

Interesting report, I haven't read that many with such a mix of first and economy.

Regarding the catering, it's interesting that for the most part everything except EY F exceeded expectations, while EY F did not. Like many restaurants, I think trying to have so many good options leads them to not perfect anything, though from other reports, the chef really makes the difference. I don't think you can blame the catering out of LHR that much, because they have a chef who makes things onboard. Whereas on your short haul EY flight, the food is prepared in advance. This also might explain why the galley closes early (since they're not just reheating food), though based on other reports, maybe they were out of dessert.
Thanks, dylanks. You're right on point about the chef playing a large part in the experience. As to the dessert fiasco, I didn't even think of that. That does seem to happen on EY a good bit.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Wow the apartment looks amazing! I hope I'll get the chance to fly on it one day.
Superb trip report, thanks for sharing.
Thanks, themapelligroup

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'd find it so hard to do a combination of First and economy. If you didn't know anything but economy (like Elaine Benes on Seinfeld) it would be ok. I imagine when you've been in your Etihad apartment moving to economy was a nightmare.

I wonder however, would I prefer to have 3 to 5 times more trips per year if I flew economy. I think about it then think I can't do it!
Thanks, Annalisa12. I've flown so much economy over the years that it really didn't make a difference to me. I really appreciate when I can fly upfront, but if I can't no big deal. If I had to choose between one premium cabin trip and 5 trips in economy.... I would actually have to go with the 5 trips in economy. The journey is important to me, but the destination is as well. Of course, I would try to find a happy medium!

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Seat pitch on BA Y is not good. But the food is. And the crews.
Yep. Pitch was a bit of let down compared to QR Y and Main Cabin Extra on AA.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:37 am

Great report dat4life! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I can't wait for my upcoming EY A380 F flight now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.