Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TR: Our first BA First, and our first visit to St Lucia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Bretteee
A CNN reporter from London complained about BA F from Gatwick to St. Lucia. He wrote an article about it.
Tease - where's the link? Was it this one?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As comments seem to have expired [as expected in the general TR Forum] I'll just re-reference my thread in the BA forum about "First' and leave it at that.

There's a moderate amount of work in generating a TR, what with travelling with notebooks and camera and stopwatch ... and subsequently writing and uploading photos to FT. Somehow I wonder if it's worth the effort, to be frank.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Originally Posted by T8191
As comments seem to have expired [as expected in the general TR Forum] I'll just re-reference my thread in the BA forum about "First' and leave it at that.

There's a moderate amount of work in generating a TR, what with travelling with notebooks and camera and stopwatch ... and subsequently writing and uploading photos to FT. Somehow I wonder if it's worth the effort, to be frank.
Is really appreciate this TR so thank you for the effort. I know what you mean though, I need to do TR on my recent UK to Australia trip in EY/J and it really not looking forward to it, mind you I only landed back here late Saturday and am currently experiencing terrible jet lag
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoyed it Uncle T.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SaraJH
Is really appreciate this TR so thank you for the effort. I know what you mean though, I need to do TR on my recent UK to Australia trip in EY/J and it really not looking forward to it, mind you I only landed back here late Saturday and am currently experiencing terrible jet lag
I have considerable experience of producing TRs for Bears, so I guess it's less difficult for me than many people! There are scores of them from my 5 years as Bear-Minder-General and Blog editor/author. http://www.holidays4heroes.org/blog/

Originally Posted by Calchas
I enjoyed it Uncle T.
Have a glass of wine ... oh, wait

Last edited by T8191; Dec 1, 2017 at 5:03 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A great read - thanks for taking the time to produce. I'm excited about my A380 F to SIN beginning of April. Then onwards to SYD in J. Hope it was worth the 35,000 Avios!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A great read - thanks for taking the time to produce. I'm excited about my A380 F to SIN beginning of April. Then onwards to SYD in J. Hope it was worth the 35,000 Avios!
A380 in F should be great ... it's a mainline route from LHR, not a holiday route from LGW

And I got the sensation in Jan, doing LHR/LAX, that the CC are more motivated by the new Bird, and the ovens are apparently much better too. Certainly our LAX sectors in J were more agreeable than the F sectors to UVF, apart from the better seats/IFE.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 10, 2015 at 9:58 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not too fussed about ground product to be fair; a fellow smoker like you so not keen on 3+ hours in CCR and then 13 on plane only 25 mins from LHR so can time it well! Will arrive at or after 6.30 for 8pm depart.

Done A380 J a few times, but always MF who like you say were enthusiastic, first time with WW on A380 - hope they are too!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have a glass of wine ... oh, wait
Am I ever going to live this down?? I was taught it was rude to decline such gracious hospitality.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:38 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
wait...that lounge had cold chicken nuggets? that's more than I got...although the bartender was nice
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
wait...that lounge had cold chicken nuggets? that's more than I got...although the bartender was nice
50/50 then, my bartender was almost incapable of speech or a smile
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks for the brilliant prologue, not to mention the hilarity which ensued following that masterpiece. I've just finished reading the report in my office at work over my lunch and was laughing so hard, one of the staff came in to see if everything was alright.

I'm sorry that BA F was such a let down. Catering was never their strong point in CW, Terraces/Galleries, etc in my experience, but, at least the booze was good and generous.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks for the brilliant prologue, not to mention the hilarity which ensued following that masterpiece. I've just finished reading the report in my office at work over my lunch and was laughing so hard, one of the staff came in to see if everything was alright.

I'm sorry that BA F was such a let down. Catering was never their strong point in CW, Terraces/Galleries, etc in my experience, but, at least the booze was good and generous.
Oh, bless you Sir/Ma'am ... thank you very much! You have restored my enthusiasm for TR-writing by your first paragraph. ^ ^

As to the "first First" experience, as I said we had set low expectations, which BA managed to fail to meet! Indeed, we salvaged the pleasures of the vacation by doing the same in respect of the resort
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Late News: In fairness to Rendezvous, since we submitted our Guest Questionnaire by email we have had a very constructive and pleasant exchange of emails.

I have not bothered to raise my disappointments with BA, apart from the on-board comment cards about stale sandwiches. I doubt they care enough to provide a reasonable response, and we have enough Avios to keep us going.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:50 am

I know I'm late to the party.

I wanted to say this was a great read. We did a similar trip to UVF earlier in the year. Also went for a hotel with individual bungalows rather than standard format. Also spent rather more on the hotel than I would have done if it wasn't for the 2-4-1 reward from Amex.

Main difference was that we flew in J, but from reading your report it looks like that wasn't a bad decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.