Search

AA 182 - a short hop LAX-LAS on the new A321

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
AA 182 - a short hop LAX-LAS on the new A321

Hi folks,

Had the chance to try out American's new A321, and even in Y they're brilliant.

- Itinerary: LAX-LAS
- Airline: American Airlines
- Aircraft: Airbus A321
- Flight Number: AA 182
- On time departure: yes (17:55)
- On time arrival: early (19:05)
- Miles:
- Flight time: 1:10
- Seat: 24D
- Class: Main Cabin Extra

Had some time to kill connecting, which means a trip to the Admirals Club for a few yogurt-covered pretzels, a Diet Coke and another round of hiding "Easter Eggs"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ad-2015-a.html

I always enjoy a long connection at LAX or DFW around sunset, as that's when all the widebodies start to arrive, reload and take off on overnights to Europe.

On to the flight.

FAs seemed legitimately excited to be working on the new product - definitely light years ahead of some of the older 737s AA has on the same routes. I was surprised to see the Neo on such a short route as LAS-LAX, but given the time of night I assume it's repositioning for a red-eye from Vegas to the East Coast.

The new 321 has my favourite Y seats of any aircraft in the world. There, I said it.

Frequent readers will know I've got some serious back problems, and the lumbar support on this product is basically perfect. Also passed the YVRGary Headrest Test with flying colours; fully adjustable height means I don't spend the whole flight hunched forward.

I booked a Main Cabin Extra seat for free as an OW Sapphire, which meant about three feet of legroom. As on most bulkhead seats, it means the IFE folds up out of the armrest, which in turn means a slightly narrower seat, but not exactly a hardship. More on the IFE later.

During the *long* time it takes to load a 321 - AA have *got* to start enforcing carry-on rules - I was able to pop into the non-MCE seat behind me, and even its legroom was still pretty reasonable from my 6'1" point of view.

The IFE offering is pretty substantial for a medium-haul aircraft. I didn't run through the whole selection but a pretty solid offering of movies, TV and games. One serious downside was the seat-to-seat texting app, which would apparently let me have a conversation with 16F by tapping incessantly on the touchscreen that's directly behind the head of the passenger in front of me. I foresee air rage incidents in the near future.

USB, headphone jack and a 9-pin DIN connector all available at each seat.

AC power at every seat.

In conclusion, a really excellent product. I'm hoping to see more of it as soon as possible. Definitely didn't leave me remotely excited about the elderly US Airways 757 that followed.

On arriving LAS, it turns out I wasn't the only one in town for the weekend...
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:15 am

The Neos won't be delivered until 2019...

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamili...ht-on-a320neo/
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:45 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

During the *long* time it takes to load a 321 - AA have *got* to start enforcing carry-on rules
Then airlines need to bring back a free checked bag.

When you charge $50 RT for checked bags, people are going to bring stuff on board.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76

Yeah, couldn't find a way to change the thread title, but this aircraft was on its sixth week of revenue flight, so it was kind of "neo"... ')
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76

+1 A TR from the future.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have corrected the title for the OP.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Thanks for the photos...the Extra seats look well worth it.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary

USB, headphone jack and a 9-pin DIN connector all available at each seat.
For what purpose is that 9-pin connector still used in 2015? Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of any.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:05 pm

It's a pretty new plane, it better be good now because it sure as hell won't get any better with time. Give it a few years and the same plane will be one people complain about.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Various
AA is deploying this aircraft on longer routes, such as LAX-DFW, DFW-MIA, and MIA-LAX. Starting soon on LAX-ORD.

Hopefully they will continue to do that to more of the non-flagship transcons for a nicer ride (LAX-BOS, LAS-JFK, LAS-MIA, SFO-MIA)
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Always nice to fly on new planes. Thanks for the quick review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.