Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Excellent report and wonderful photos. I agree with you re your CX conclusions. The food in F used to be top notch a few years back but it seems to have gone down hill.

I am looking forward to your QR sectors.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Beautiful pictures and amazing TR. I am looking forward to the gluttony as promised in the thread title.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:53 am

I'm loving this trip report. Your emphasis on food during travels is right up my alley.

Although I love Asian food...those pictures of bratwurst grilling and currywurst are making me thing of a trip to Germany. Love that stuff.

Can't wait until your Taipei posts!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Excellent report and wonderful photos. I agree with you re your CX conclusions. The food in F used to be top notch a few years back but it seems to have gone down hill.

I am looking forward to your QR sectors.
Thanks Moomba! I know CX used to have Balik salmon, but in what other ways was the food on CX previously better?

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Beautiful pictures and amazing TR. I am looking forward to the gluttony as promised in the thread title.
Thanks avneeshj! The gluttony is surely coming.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I'm loving this trip report. Your emphasis on food during travels is right up my alley.

Although I love Asian food...those pictures of bratwurst grilling and currywurst are making me thing of a trip to Germany. Love that stuff.

Can't wait until your Taipei posts!
Thanks grandgourmand! I can't wait either!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Ultimate HKG Lounge Crawl

What to do with 8 hours to kill in HKG? Go to every single CX lounge there. We spent the majority of our time in The Wing. Unfortunately due to the odd opening hours of the Qantas Lounge, I wasn't able to visit until the return flight, but I'll include that here as well.

I'm sure you all know this familiar wall. What the? Who left that luggage cart there and messed up my shot?!

Morning pastries. Not terrible exciting.

Onwards! To the First class lounge section.

First class lounge section

They stocked the champagne lounge with Moet?! But the glasses of Cathay Delight were far bigger than the ones on the plane.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jan 27, 2015 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:42 am
Original Poster

The famous cabanas await...

I couldn't not include a picture of the privy, now could I?

Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Just a quick note: who in the world designs these airport showers? As Jasper Beardly would say, "That's a paddlin' ".

I wasn't sure if I was using the CX Cabana shower correctly as water was splashing everywhere and onto the nice wooden floor. Fortunately they provided more than one towel so I was able to mop up somewhat.

The Arrival shower stall only had a half glass wall, so water also escaped onto the floor.

Poor functionality detracting from otherwise amazing shower stalls. Only the QR bathrooms got it right with fully enclosed shower stalls (but they had other issues).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
When I was in HKG last time, the cabanas were full and I could not try them. Very sad indeed about that!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Just a quick note: who in the world designs these airport showers? As Jasper Beardly would say, "That's a paddlin' ".

I wasn't sure if I was using the CX Cabana shower correctly as water was splashing everywhere and onto the nice wooden floor. Fortunately they provided more than one towel so I was able to mop up somewhat.

The Arrival shower stall only had a half glass wall, so water also escaped onto the floor.

Poor functionality detracting from otherwise amazing shower stalls. Only the QR bathrooms got it right with fully enclosed shower stalls (but they had other issues).
Nice report.

I also found the shower design in The Arrival as bizarre, and had the same "water escape" issue. I too used the extra towel/bathmath for cleanup.

It was also a bummer that there were no electrical outlets in the rooms. My electric shaver had apparently discharged during the flight, and so I had no way to shave. I ended up charging it a computer station in the lounge, and then had to ask if I could use one of the shower rooms again to shave.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Woh 2 Simpson references in one TR! Well done sir, well done.... +10!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Have to ask, was this a wonderful use of miles booked as a single trip with stopovers or a miles upgrade or just one amazing treat (resulting in more credit card miles)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC, AP, et al
A wonderful report and terrific pictures. I can't wait to try long-haul First Class with CX, which will hopefully be next year.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oneworld82
When I was in HKG last time, the cabanas were full and I could not try them. Very sad indeed about that!
They were also full when I was there but they had a waiting list, along with a buzzer to alert you when a cabana was available.

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Nice report.

I also found the shower design in The Arrival as bizarre, and had the same "water escape" issue. I too used the extra towel/bathmath for cleanup.

It was also a bummer that there were no electrical outlets in the rooms. My electric shaver had apparently discharged during the flight, and so I had no way to shave. I ended up charging it a computer station in the lounge, and then had to ask if I could use one of the shower rooms again to shave.
Thanks Gongzuokuang!

Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
Woh 2 Simpson references in one TR! Well done sir, well done.... +10!
Haha, thanks FSUSeminole007! I didn't know there was any other kind of reference!

Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
Have to ask, was this a wonderful use of miles booked as a single trip with stopovers or a miles upgrade or just one amazing treat (resulting in more credit card miles)
120K US Airways Miles; single trip with a stopover in FRA, and a couple long layovers.

Originally Posted by rugrgrli
A wonderful report and terrific pictures. I can't wait to try long-haul First Class with CX, which will hopefully be next year.
Thanks rugrgrli!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

So how was food at The Haven?

Buffet/carving section

Dessert buffet. Yeah, I kind of went to town here. I remember the apple tart being especially tasty. Had like 3 slices. Shhh.

More buffet. The dim sum was disappointingly the same as in the J class lounges. I only had about 20 of the same shu mai earlier, so I didn't partake (as much) at the Haven.

A la carte menu at The Haven.

Clay pot rice

Sauteed king prawns with lemon, ginger, and potato coleslaw (!!) salad

Roasted pork tenderloin with beetroot puree, swiss chard, apricot salsa.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

NOTES on The Haven:

I will say that service at The Haven was somewhat chaotic, due to all the passengers. You will have to flag down a server in order to get an order.

The food was not as spectacular as I was expecting, or maybe it's just that the food at CX's other J lounges are very good.

So if you're flying J, you're not missing much food-wise from the F-passengers. Food selection and freshness at the Qantas Business Lounge was superb.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.