Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Pre-departure amuse bouche.

I believe it was lobster knuckle with crab, creme fraiche, and mango salsa. Delicious. I appreciated the envious stares of J passengers who had accidentally come in through the front entrance.

Miniature box of holiday cookies.

Decided to see what this Cathay Delight was all about. I thought it superior to their Pacific Sunrise.

How could I resist this shot?

A cavorting of Lufthansa A380s.

3 windows all to myself. MIIINEEE!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:27 pm

Excellent trip report and wonderful pictures. Looking forward to the rest of the report!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: American, United, Alaska, IHG Gold, Amtrak
Thanks for the great pictures of the IAD Lounge and First experience. Doing the A380 in F on Thursday and very excited. First time on BA and First time on an A380.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelBug1314
Excellent trip report and wonderful pictures. Looking forward to the rest of the report!
Thanks TravelBug!

Originally Posted by 4jaded
Thanks for the great pictures of the IAD Lounge and First experience. Doing the A380 in F on Thursday and very excited. First time on BA and First time on an A380.
Thanks 4jaded! Let me know how the A380 flight and IAD experience are.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
This is likely the BEST trip report I've ever seen on FlyerTalk
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Larrude
This is likely the BEST trip report I've ever seen on FlyerTalk
You're far too kind, Larrude.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Dinner commences! I decided to go for the Western menu, on account of the Chinese menu sounding a bit boring.

Warm cashews

Caviar service

Only 2 blinis?! #FirstClassFirstWorldProblems

Despite the fact that there was no Balik salmon, I still devoured all of the caviar. Poor hard-working fish...

More Krug? Why I can't say no...

Pea and mint soup

Mixed salad with pesto flavoured scallop and crayfish, lemon coriander dressing

My friend's Suckling Pig stuffed with mushrooms and onions served with herb cream sauce, butter spaetzle, beans, peppers and beetroot. I was half expecting there to be a small pig on the plate with an apple in its mouth...

...And they proceeded to grate fresh pepper onto his dish. I was just disappointed there was no crumb removal service.

My char grilled butter fish, gurnard and red snapper with sundried tomato butter, roasted new potato and grilled vegetables

Post dinner chocolates

Post dinner movie

They have the complete 4th season of Game of Thrones already? Impressive! Not even out yet on Amazon.

FA making fresh scrambled eggs the next morning. I thought their kitchen setup was quite comprehensive.

Breakfast congee with pork and preserved vegetables

Organic eggs, freshly scrambled. Served with choice of kassler, streaky bacon, Nurnberger sausage, potato wedges, tomato or sauteed mushrooms (I think the FA actually gave me everything. Choices be darned!) I also ordered a pot of Hong Kong milk tea, which I proceeded to demolish. Side of fresh seasonal fruit, tropical smoothie.

Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

My thoughts on the CX flight, as a first time CX passenger.

- The food was surprisingly very average. My fish was overcooked, my friend's suckling pig was very dry. Thought my eggs were too runny.

- The service was astounding. Attentive without being overbearing.

- Seat comfort was excellent; extra width manifested nicely when seat converted into bed mode.

- IFE was ok; excellent selection, but the screen itself wasn't as large or as high resolution as I was hoping. Bose noise-cancelling headsets were very good.

Conclusion: CX F service lived up to its legendary reputation. Too bad their food was ho-hum. I'll have to try the Chinese menu next time, or fly the CDG-HKG route, which seems to have a new tasting menu.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jan 26, 2015 at 9:48 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
My thoughts on the CX flight, as a first time CX passenger.

- The food was surprisingly very average. My fish was overcooked, my friend's suckling pig was very dry. Thought my eggs were too runny.

- The service was astounding. Attentive without being overbearing.

- Seat comfort was excellent; extra width manifested when seat converted to bed mode.

- IFE was ok; excellent selection, but the screen itself wasn't as large or as high resolution as I was hoping. Bose noise-cancelling headsets were very good.

Conclusion: CX F service lived up to its legendary reputation. Too bad their food was ho-hum. I'll have to try the Chinese menu next time, or fly the CDG-HKG route, which seems to have a new tasting menu.
I think a lot of people on here would agree with these opinions. Having flown a nice plural of CX F both in and ex-hkg, I think the service and the seat are definitely the best parts. The food is great, and of course would be in the stratosphere compared to the horse food on American based F. I don't think you will really find any airline food "amazing", what you would get at proper five star restaurant or some of the $2 noodle shops in Taiwan

Anyway, I am quite looking forward to how you enjoyed Taiwan. Its quite a unique destination, having spent a lot of time there (as a non-Taiwanese) I like hearing the opinion of foreigners. It is my favorite country to visit.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL172
I think a lot of people on here would agree with these opinions. Having flown a nice plural of CX F both in and ex-hkg, I think the service and the seat are definitely the best parts. The food is great, and of course would be in the stratosphere compared to the horse food on American based F. I don't think you will really find any airline food "amazing", what you would get at proper five star restaurant or some of the $2 noodle shops in Taiwan

Anyway, I am quite looking forward to how you enjoyed Taiwan. Its quite a unique destination, having spent a lot of time there (as a non-Taiwanese) I like hearing the opinion of foreigners. It is my favorite country to visit.
So the food on my QR F flight was actually more impressive (in a future post).

Is CX's food ex-HKG better than on other routes?

As a foodie, I greatly enjoyed my time in Taipei. A lot better than Hong Kong I'd say.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Very nice pictures of an enviable trip. Thanks for the great pics and enjoy your upcoming travels!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Great TR, and amazing pictures.

What kind of camera?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
So the food on my QR F flight was actually more impressive (in a future post).

Is CX's food ex-HKG better than on other routes?

As a foodie, I greatly enjoyed my time in Taipei. A lot better than Hong Kong I'd say.
I really don't see any difference between ex or into HKG on my flights to JFK, YVR, and SFO (only places I've flown). That could be both good and bad. Its great that CX really maintains standards at its outpost stations, but again it doesn't excel to the sky in terms of food outside of hkg. Honestly, anyway can make the steak they serve. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

I also wish they were a bit more creative with different Cantonese delicacies. Flying Emirates the Arabian Mezze is quite well known. Singapore has Satay. I could say CX has egg tarts, which are great but leaves room for improvement. It is much harder to prepare Dim Sum at 30k feet compared to other airlines, but I think it would be great if Cathay Pacific really promoted Hong Kong culture. I mean even the name "Cathay Pacific," how do I know its from Hong Kong?

I think Taipei is one of the best destinations for foodies. It has the right amount of cultural shock, while being at an acceptable level of ease for English-speakers. I'm surprised you value Hong Kong over Taipei, but that might be left to individual tastes. In Taipei, there is a lot more outside of what is reported on Flyertalk. I rarely ventured into nightmarkets. Its an interesting tourist attraction, but gets old after a few times. I never found the food satiating. I much rather go with my never failing instincts, look were all the locals crowd around.

Again excited to see the rest of your TR!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL172
I really don't see any difference between ex or into HKG on my flights to JFK, YVR, and SFO (only places I've flown). That could be both good and bad. Its great that CX really maintains standards at its outpost stations, but again it doesn't excel to the sky in terms of food outside of hkg. Honestly, anyway can make the steak they serve. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

I also wish they were a bit more creative with different Cantonese delicacies. Flying Emirates the Arabian Mezze is quite well known. Singapore has Satay. I could say CX has egg tarts, which are great but leaves room for improvement. It is much harder to prepare Dim Sum at 30k feet compared to other airlines, but I think it would be great if Cathay Pacific really promoted Hong Kong culture. I mean even the name "Cathay Pacific," how do I know its from Hong Kong?

I think Taipei is one of the best destinations for foodies. It has the right amount of cultural shock, while being at an acceptable level of ease for English-speakers. I'm surprised you value Hong Kong over Taipei, but that might be left to individual tastes. In Taipei, there is a lot more outside of what is reported on Flyertalk. I rarely ventured into nightmarkets. Its an interesting tourist attraction, but gets old after a few times. I never found the food satiating. I much rather go with my never failing instincts, look were all the locals crowd around.

Again excited to see the rest of your TR!
Thanks DL172!

I definitely agree that CX needs a substantial signature food item on its menu. Maybe a gold goblet filled with Cathay Delight? Or they could partner with Tim Ho Wan to provide a veritable dim sum feast.

Oh no, I much prefer Taipei over Hong Kong (you might have accidentally misread my earlier my post). HK seemed too much like New York City to me.

HKG Lounge crawl coming up!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Very nice pictures of an enviable trip. Thanks for the great pics and enjoy your upcoming travels!
Thanks Seat 2A!

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Great TR, and amazing pictures.

What kind of camera?
Thanks rkaradi! Canon 6D with 16-35mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 lenses.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Jan 27, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.