Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

US Airways vs Club World - a BA travellers perspective (also a bit of LAX + WTP)

US Airways vs Club World - a BA travellers perspective (also a bit of LAX + WTP)

Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HilFly
CLY??
Oops ... DUB-CLT
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC
I love how the dessert wine being offered was actually port...

That said the rest of the business class flight looked pretty good.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Great TR!

As a note, OWE can board with US Chairmans preferred and AA exec platinum, but that happens after J or F.

Also note the seat is the cirrus seat. US was the first to roll it out, so it's slightly less refined than it is on CX or AA. I too find CW o be more comfortable for sleeping, as well as for the upright takeoff/landing position.

Your experience on US is pretty typical fwiw, and US domestic F is indeed not as nice as WTP (a foot rest and power, the latter of which they plan to add, would go a long way).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:35 am

I've flown US a lot since the merger as they go to where my parents live. My observations on the domestic part:

Domestic F quality (seat and meal) vary widely by aircraft. However, I recently did EWR-ORD on US ORD-BOS on AA (part of a massive TP run). The US F meal was plated, while the AA meal consisted of being invited to select a bagged sandwich and crisps from a basket.

The B/C lounge in PHL isn't bad. They make a very good bloody mary with fresh celery and massive olives.

US cabin crew are used to AA and US Emeralds being automatically upgraded to F on domestic flights. BA Emeralds don't get that treatment, but if they see your Gold card they go out of their way to let you know you can have as much as you'd like to drink and any leftover food from the F cabin.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. It is pretty much in line with my experiences, although I am certainly looking forward to trying the new F lounge at TBIT on Sunday!

In terms of the new WT+ it is actually really good - and you do notice the difference between that and, say, WT+ on the 747. I flew to LAS earlier this week and after a lot of J flying found myself back in WT+ on an OF 747-400. We had some issues with condensation and a malfunctioning IFE which gave credence to my initial impression as to how tired and dated the cabin looked.

That all said, I had one of the best flights I have had in a long time. The crew absolutely excelled - the CSM and the sole CC working the WT+ cabin were first rate. I cannot express that enough. It was a First Class experience in WT+
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
I fly Manchester - Richmond, Virginia in J every 2 months. I have been alternating between the USAir MAN-PHL-RIC and BA MAN-LHR-IAD (driving down to RIC). The price and journey time are quite similar, each routing having benefits/downsides. As I have GE and never get held up at US Immigration, can usually schedule a 90 min connection at PHL. However after a 8 hour 'weather delay' at PHL recently, I have vowed to never fly the USAir route in winter again !

In terms of positives for airline experience :

USAirways A330 - direct aisle access, cool air jets (remember them ?) make it much better for sleeping, smaller cabin, better return security experience (only screened at RIC)

BA 777/747/380 - possibility of upstairs in 747, wine selection, cabin crew, lounges, more roomy domestic leg, better outbound security experience (only screened at MAN).

I would classify both the seat, IFE and food as comparable.

(BTW, like you I was wowed with the Bose QC25 and bought my own pair in the US, using the supplied adaptor, you can plug them into the top 2 pins in the USAirways 3 pin IFE plug and the single large pin in the BA async 2 pin IFE plug)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:05 am

Yeah the wine list is an area where US lags far behind BA. Prosecco is their sparkling option. Prosecco! :-)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCSA
Yeah the wine list is an area where US lags far behind BA. Prosecco is their sparkling option. Prosecco! :-)
Prosecco is fine ... have you tried New York 'Champagne'?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
A very good Trip Report paulwuk, full of useful information. I’ll be doing a little jaunt around the states in May, partly flying US (although in economy!), so this made for an interesting read.

Getting from the taxi to the lounge in under 6 minutes at Manchester is absolutely amazing!

Those American lounges always seem to look grim and completely without atmosphere to me, I'm not sure if they're the sort of place that I’d want to stay at for too long!

Nice to see a Trip Report showing World Traveller Plus, and great touch from the CSD to give you an amenity kit from the CW cabin.

Thanks for the report. ^
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Excellent and detailed TR, a delightful read.

I feel like a trip to PHL just to see the lego bell you photographed!! Good to see that access to the US is improving from the regions. I "vaguely" remember the days when BA had MAN-ORD route. NCL has a JFK 4 days per week over the summer, but unfortunately happens to be operated by United using an old 757-200. It was a great shame that AA pulled out a few years back.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191

Personally useful, as we're booked on a US A330 in Business for DUB-CLT in September.
^^ Doing the same route in July - the fare was unbelievable ex Dublin in J.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBigRat
^^ Doing the same route in July - the fare was unbelievable ex Dublin in J.
JER-DUB, BA CE, £185 each [abated by Avios]
o/n DUB
DUB-CLT-SAV, US Business,£1159 each.

Not dirt cheap but you could easily pay over £1k for LHR-IAD in WT+
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by SCSA
What's wrong with Prosecco? There are excellent ones. And I'd much rather have Prosecco than Monopole champagne. I also like Californian sparkling wine and I am glad that AA serves it on some of its domestic flights.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
DUB->CLT->RSW ret - J/F in peak school time was 1080 euros - about 850 gbp each'ish ... Bit their hand off - and gives 400 TP's I think...
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by TheBigRat
DUB->CLT->RSW ret - J/F in peak school time was 1080 euros - about 850 gbp each'ish ... Bit their hand off - and gives 400 TP's I think...
Very nice.

As a regular to RSW 3 or 4 times a year for the past 20 years, I feel qualified to say that is absolutely outstanding and probably a good bit cheaper than an ex-UK Economy ticket.

I actually have exactly the same itinerary on an AA award in October. Taxes and fees come to £30 each return but even so I'm tempted to change to a revenue ticket if I could match that (sadly, my dates don't match the sale). Who did you book that with?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.