Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

First Emirates A380 Trip (IXE-KWI) And An Epic Long Journey to Get There!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK

Hi Everyone!

My first trip report here, I am rather excited to share it with you. So I was to fly from

Mangalore, India to Kuwait which has a direct 4.5 hour flight on the Air India Express carrier (which is completely a budget airline)

but being a complete Aviation enthusiast I thought I would take a longer route to get there!

Here is to summarize the route:-

IXE-BLR (B738 Jet Airways)
BLR-BOM (B738 Jet Airways)
BOM-DXB (A380 Emirates)
DXB-KWI (B773ER Emirates)

I get a photo of the terminal building from my car, I proudly show of my Avgeekyness!

So I start off at Mangalore Airport (IXE) on the 8th of September a regular Boeing 737-800

flight on Jet Airways which I have flown multiples times now, so I didn't take any pictures.

The flight was uneventful, smooth, lovely crew and it was just 45 mins long to Bangalore Airport (BLR) and I couldn't get a Flight deck visit either due to the short span of time theyhad for a turn around. Nevertheless I continued and walked into Bangalore Airport which again I have been to multiple times.

I picked up my bags from the conveyor belt the bags came ontime no problems with that. I had

about four hours to kill before my next flight, so I took it easy went to the departure area, I

decided to sit down and have a coffee at the "Coffee Day" which is the equivalent of "Starbucks" in India.

The Coffee Day is just at the entrance of the Departure area if you come in from the arrival area, however the prices are overpriced from what you get locally outside but this maybe due to

airport taxes etc. Anyhow I did want to relax so I put down my bags and ordered a nice latte and a Chicken sandwich which I did enjoy, and as usual I watched people running around the airport frantically being late for their flight, people arguing as usual and people generally misbehaving.

I then moved on from there and sat at the seating area the airport had which faces the Check-in

counter and someone next to me happend to have a Qatar Airways Boarding pass , a curious avgeek like me knows that Qatar check-in stars at 1200 but it was just 1800 that time so I asked him and he told me the 787 had gone tech from the night before and they were stuck at the airport

for a while and he missed his connections to Chicago, I felt sorry for them as well as the Qatar crew at the counter as people were being rude as usual and being loud!

I then decided to walk around the terminal however I unfortunately had caught a very bad cold the night before and I was extremely tired to walk around but I didn't want to waste any photo opportunities from my journey.

Here are a few pictures from Bangalore Airport (BLR)

The Flight Information Board

A new section of Bangalore Terminal

A general view of the Departure Area

After about two hours I went to the Check-in counter and picked up my boarding passes issues by a friendly lady for the next leg of the journey that would be BLR-BOM On a Jet Airways Boeing 737-800NG. I made my way towards security removed my belt, laptop blah blah.... Then I was stopped at security, asked to open my handbag (not unusual for me, I carry a lot of gadgets and

wires) they asked me why I am carrying a stick.. I was like umm stick umm Oh yes!!! A Selfie Stick! I thought to myself Oh how do I explain selfie stick to them? well so I did take a selfie with them! A true story but due to it being a security area they asked me to delete the photo which I obliged to.After a few laughs and chuckles I made my way towards the gate and we started boarding!

And yes! for my second flight I got a window seat again, I always aim to get a window seat

A good view however dark outside, as I remember we started to pushback 5 minutes before depature and we were off! A fantastic takeoff roll on runway 27 at BLR and as I had the

pleasure to hear those loud engines especially seated at the window next to them! A straight out climb for a few minutes on runway heading brilliant city lights as we climbed out.

Service started ontime a bit of a late dinner for me at 2100. The flight was just 1.5 hours long so they had to do things quick. The non vegeteranian option was Chicken and rice and the

dessert was Strawberry Souffle. The food was alright Jet Airways can do better like they used to before but the Souffle was actually good!

I settled in for another cup of coffee and then relaxed watching the moonless sky, pitch dark and cloudy below within a few minutes it was time to descend and we landed at Bombay Airport!

(Yes I still say Bombay). The weather at Bombay as we landed was alright except for slight drizzle but didn't bother me much.

~~~BOMBAY~~~~

After a full stop landing and collecting my bags once again from the conveyor belt I grabbed my

bags mind you by now I have put them into the X-ray scanner four times already! My muscles hurt I need a massage!

Now here is where things get exciting. Terminal 2 at Bombay just opened up a few months ago and

I was so excited to see it! We had to take a coach to transfer us to the international terminal, you usually get good views during the day of all the aircrafts it's about 15min-30min drive depending on traffic in the airport (yes you read it right! )

I then proceeded to the check-in counter after taking a few shots outside and there was a small queue, I was then attended to by a lady at the check-in counter, I asked her the registration of the plane she seemed suprised and I told her I am an AvGeek etc. she didn't seem so pleased

(Typical of them).

After checking in, I realized WOW! I am flying an A380 for the first time! I was really really excited at this point, with smiles and laughter I left the check-in counter to proceed to security to put my bags in once again!

I walked around the area leading to the security, I found there was this really really classy and expensive looking Coffee day I was thrilled to see the coffee shop keeping up to it's standards of an amazing airport like this. I didn't really feel like having a coffee at that time but I just wanted to take a picture of it.

I then finished security, was quick and easy no questions asked this time, and there I was standing in front of the Duty Free area and I was like WOW! Look at that interior! Just amazing and world class!

Excited to see what was beyond the duty free area I walked around trying to find my gate first I cannot recollect what gate we were at exactly but I found it quite hard to trace maybe because I was busy geeking around and looking at what other airlines were present...there was Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, South African to name a few... I was so so so excited!

A view from the exit of the Duty free area to the gates.

I was looking around to find my gate then thought it would be time for a quick coffee from Costa, I noticed the Virgin Atlantic Pilots were right there so I thought I would have a quick chat, just went over and introduced myself, they were so friendly and said they would love to chat more but they had to fly a plane back home! hahaha they wished me luck in my Pilot career
and off they went, I was still shaking and excited!

Then I thought oh it's really time to go and find my gate and my A380!

FOUND IT! There she was! An A380 up so close for the first time and oh my God! I am actually flying it, If there weren't people around I would go ahead and do my happy dance!

It was time to board, the flight was quite full they boarded us through sequence numbers use all three jetways, my heart was racing as I walked through the jetway and as usual I would

greet all the staff awaiting us there wheter they were baggage loaders, ground staff, mechanics etc. I was just so happy!

I get through the door and was just struck with how awesomely big and huge this plane is and how many seats are there! like wow! I managed to steal a shot from the Purser cabin, yes the

A380 has a Purser cabin!!

Now the A380 has the seat numbers written way on the top and it's so hard to find it when you are so excited and noticing other stuff, now I was suppose to be seated at 43K right next to

the engines but I miss my seat as I keep walking and the stewardess gets mad at me for this but I didn't mind really, I know they are tired too she was like "can't you find your seat" I was

like I am sorry I really am, she seemed to tone down then.

She pushed me to the side and that's when I got this shot! Sometimes mistakes help!

Right then, time for pushback and engine startup... Okay I was waiting and waiting we pushed back all the way and I couldn't hear the engines startup , I was like oh don't tell me something is wrong? Is it? But then I noticed the engine is actually turning Oh the

dissapointment!!! The A380 is so quiet you can't even hear the engine is turned on sometimes! I was really really sad that this was the case, I love engine noises and this was a real turn-down for me

Within a few minutes we were rolling and up in the air! Uneventful takeoff and the only time I actually heard the engines go a bit louder....

Right time for service after we reached our Top of Climb of FL350. Just some breakfast which was really really bad in my opinion. Cheese Omlette with potatoes which I really didn't fancy

but their only Non-Veg option. I asked for Orange juice to complement my meal not really time for Wine in the morning is it?

I then decided to get some shuteye for a while, not that I wanted to but I was really tired I did want to enjoy the entire flight.

I woke up an hour later and asked for a coffee, relaxed myself and watched the pitch black sky, till an annoucnment came in and we were asked to strap ourselves in because Dubai was half an hour away!!!

Half an hour passed on so quickly, we made an amazing landing and the Cabin Crew announced we have just landed at Dubai, I was watching the sun rise it was just 5 am local time... again the engines went so quiet...

We were parked at our gate and I got these shots.

I then waited for everyone to leave and asked the Purser if I could visit the Flight deck she she would ask the Pilots but then she said okay come on in!!!

Okay so if you ask me what does it feel like sitting on Captain's seat of the World's Largest Commerical Aircraft? The A380??????? I WOULD SAY I FEEL LIKE THE KING OF AVIATION!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~DUBAI~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Being thrilled and shocked at the same time again but filled with happiness I made myself

through the transit area of Dubai and this was the third time I was back at Dubai airport! I know it so well now

I make myself to the Marhaba Lounge for a few drinks and light food and relax for about five

hours as I have my final 777 flight to Kuwait the last leg of my journey! Note that now Dubai

Airport has just one hour of free WiFi but the Marhaba lounge gives it for four hours. It was very quiet in the lounge not too many people which was good.

Five hours went fast! But by now I was really sleep deprived and tired and I just wanted to go home and go to my bed!

I made myself to the gate for my Kuwait flight oh the 773ER I see! Now I know I am going to

enjoy every minute of those GE engines!!! I was in Avgeek heaven! Boarding was uneventful we were ontime!

We started to pushback and I could hear my beloved GE90 engines startup Oh wow!!!!!

A few minutes on and we were on the runway, off we went! Oh dear the engines spooling ohhh wow! Just climbing out of Dubai was a bit hazy unfortunately!

Top of Climb and service started , I didn't bother to eat as I had eaten in the lounge and wasn't too hungry and it was a short flight I then entertained myself by looking at the

Inflight entertainment system and trying to use the phone onboard which I didn't really use in the end. I didn't watch anything in particular but being a big Coldplay fan I decided to

listent to "Ghost Stories" and a few other albums avaliable.

A 1.5 hour flight isn't long at all, the crew just finished service and we already were starting to descend.

A quick approach over the Kuwaiti desert and coming in to Runway 30R at Kuwait, we landed smoothly and exited the runway quickly.

We then parked at our gate all uneventful and then I heard the engines whine down. By this time

I just wanted to get home so I didn't ask for a Flight deck visit I just exited out of the plane and made myself through immigration and as usual immigration was being very selective on

who they smile at and welcome, you get treated according to your race and colour at the airport and they are usually busy chatting to each other rather than bothering about your passport.

That concludes my epic trip!

All in all I flew two 737's , One A380 and one B773ER

It was quite amazing and an adventure oh did I mention I happend to fall sick a day before flying but had to force myself to fly and this is why some of the pictures may not be upto my usual standards and why I didn't take many photos of things I wish I would have taken!

Thank you for reading I didn't want to get into too much detail but I would love to read your comments and ideas. Until next time! Happy Flying

Tailwinds,

Rahul

http://instagram.com/pilotrahul

Last edited by rahulras1993; Jan 7, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks for posting. Your enthusiasm comes through your report very well.

Glad you enjoyed the many flights.

^
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Agreed. Your enthusiasm for aviation shines brightly
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much goodeats21 and chongl ! It means a lot and yes I do love aviation so much and I thought writing a trip report would do justice and help me bring out the adventure I wanted to share with you all!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:18 am

Bombay T2 looks very modern and sleek. Great photo in the A380 cockpit too.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
This is the beauty of A380, excitement that personally never wears off after many flights. And I do love the quietness of the engines too. Thanks for your TR.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:36 pm

Nice. I really enjoyed your trip report. Your enthusiasm is what makes the difference!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Thank you very much DanielW, Forrest Bump, fstop75. You have all encouraged me to write many more trip reports! I will soon upload a few videos from this trip and post them on my youtube channel they might be quite interesting

Thank you to everyone who has read this TR please continue to give in your suggestions and comments would love to hear from you, also please forgive me for the alignment problems I will have to look into why some of the paragraphs have gone misplaced.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Thanks for the great report, always good to see something from the back of the aircraft where I spend most of my life! The food on your jet airways flight looks good, certainly miles better than you would get on a similarly long European flight.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Love the enthusiasm in this report! Extra exciting it's written by a fellow mangi.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:23 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
nice TR! Good to see India on here (hope to go there soon)
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you Joely, Oh haha it used to be better but yes considering the short haul route it was quite good

Oh pleasure to meet you and thank you so much for reading my TR kind words looking forward to your TR"s as well injian

Oh you are most welcome to visit India and the Middle East thank you for your lovely comment and hope to read your TR on these places soon! thetravelingRedhead
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Dear all,

Thanks to your immense replies and support I just had to upload two videos from my trip.

I hope you enjoy.

Takeoff From Dubai Airport:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi1qnSjAsHQ

Landing at Kuwait Airport http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-hmxcSQXRs

They are onboard the B773ER I hope you enjoy Take care everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.