Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas In Mogadishu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Good luck on your next trip to the States, or Israel, with that stamp in your passport!

I do have insurance (with various caveats) for Mogadishu, through work. I dread to think how much it costs. I assume you went in with no medical or repatriation cover?
I went to Israel last year with Afghan and Yemeni (and other Arab countries) stamps and had no real problems. My ESTA is with my other (UK) passport, so hopefully Uncle Sam won't find out about this trip too.

I had medical cover through work, but no repatriation cover.

Originally Posted by B747-437B
This highlights the unfortunate dangers of life in Mogadishu, despite any level of security that you might surround yourself with. The civilian contractor you refer to that was killed in the Christmas Day attack was my friend and colleague Abaho A (pictured below both in life and in death). In 2014 alone in Mogadishu, I had 2 friends killed, 4 others injured and another 3 escape uninjured in various attacks either targeted at them or for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
My condolences for the loss of your good friend, B747-437B. Makes you realise how very real the danger in Mogadishu actually is.

Originally Posted by someotherguy
A suicide car bomb attack by Islamist group al-Shabab has killed four people in the Somali capital Mogadishu, officials say.
With the AU troops supposed to be pulling out next year, it makes you wonder if it will actually happen.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
um WHAT?! How did I miss this TR?! AMAZING
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by The Wolf
What's next by the way.
Newyear's eve in Aleppo?
I'm in
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
um WHAT?! How did I miss this TR?! AMAZING
Thanks, yes very ironmanjt-esque.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'm in
I was hoping you've sussed out a plan for Damascus now after the investigating from your recent trip.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Christmas In Mogadishu

Thanks for another amazing TR. Wow!!!

I've experienced being in various places where either I or other individuals stand out, and it's simply human nature for people to stare. I recognize that it isn't easy to accept but it just happens! And it's amazing to see you get the same reaction.

Did you do actual shopping in the markets etc for any food? Outside the hotel, how did you pay for the restaurant meal - with us$ or other hard currency (I realize that you didn't use plastic cards)? Or did your guide pay for everything because it's part of the travel service?
Logistically speaking, do you pay for your guide before you arrive in Somalia with cc or wire transfer, or did you carry cash to pay? Were you concerned about pickpockets at airport or plane, since you carried so much us$?

Will any pictures or this TR end up in any publication?

Thanks again and stay safe!
Michael
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Christmas In Mogadishu

Oh yeah back to the market... Cat!?!? There are living and dead cats in the picture. Does the vendor sell them freshly killed?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Thanks for another amazing TR. Wow!!!

I've experienced being in various places where either I or other individuals stand out, and it's simply human nature for people to stare. I recognize that it isn't easy to accept but it just happens! And it's amazing to see you get the same reaction.

Did you do actual shopping in the markets etc for any food? Outside the hotel, how did you pay for the restaurant meal - with us$ or other hard currency (I realize that you didn't use plastic cards)? Or did your guide pay for everything because it's part of the travel service?
Logistically speaking, do you pay for your guide before you arrive in Somalia with cc or wire transfer, or did you carry cash to pay? Were you concerned about pickpockets at airport or plane, since you carried so much us$?

Will any pictures or this TR end up in any publication?

Thanks again and stay safe!
Michael
Thanks, Michael! I didn't buy anything in the markets, too busy taking photo's and gawking at the locals. I bought some small souvenirs at a shop at the end of the trip though (with USD). The hotel was $150 per day and covered all three meals. There was an option to eat outside of the hotel, but wasn't too bothered about that.

I paid my guide when I arrived (i.e. no prepayment/deposit). I had my cash in my wallet inside my bag, so tried to keep it safe and away from pickpockets. My camera gear was worth alot more, so was probably more concerned about that.

Photography/travel is just a hobby, so no publication apart from this FT exclusive.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Oh yeah back to the market... Cat!?!? There are living and dead cats in the picture. Does the vendor sell them freshly killed?
No dead felines. He was chopping up a goat to feed to the cats.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Just for the office wall, should be a good conversation starter.

Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Great stuff, I really enjoy the humanity your reports bring to all of the places you visit.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for sharing yet another fascinating TR. (And thanks, too, to B747 for the insightful, sobering observations.)

With all the risks you take, I feel silly pointing out that most folks delete their names from photos (such as of your boarding passes) on TR. Not sure if you really run any privacy or ID theft risks, but just thought I'd mention it.

FWIW, I tried khat a number of years ago during several business meetings in Yemen. (It was simply accepted that my Yemeni counterparts were going to chew it, and out of curiosity my colleague and I joined in.) Overall a pleasant, mildly stimulating effect, though I had to take sleeping pills at night after getting a bit buzzed on it during the day.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Your photos are breathtaking, thank you for sharing.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Great stuff, I really enjoy the humanity your reports bring to all of the places you visit.
Thank you, gooseman13. Yes, the people are often what makes the place and most of the experience.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for sharing yet another fascinating TR. (And thanks, too, to B747 for the insightful, sobering observations.)

With all the risks you take, I feel silly pointing out that most folks delete their names from photos (such as of your boarding passes) on TR. Not sure if you really run any privacy or ID theft risks, but just thought I'd mention it.

FWIW, I tried khat a number of years ago during several business meetings in Yemen. (It was simply accepted that my Yemeni counterparts were going to chew it, and out of curiosity my colleague and I joined in.) Overall a pleasant, mildly stimulating effect, though I had to take sleeping pills at night after getting a bit buzzed on it during the day.
Many thanks, Thunderroad. My name and photo are on my website so is too late to be anonymous. I have censored my passport number though.

Yes, the Khat gave quite abit of a buzz. Was watching the movie 'Black Hawk Down' in the weekend again, and it also seemed to play a role in the plot.

[after the mission briefing]
Matthews: What's the matter Danny? Something you don't like?
McKnight: No Spectre gunships, daylight instead of night, late afternoon when they're all f*#ked up on Khat, only part of the city Aidid can mount a serious counter-attack on short notice... [chuckles] What's not to like?

Originally Posted by Madone59
Your photos are breathtaking, thank you for sharing.
Cheers, Madone59.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Another great trip report, Daniel. Can we interest you in a trip to visit us in Baku?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Stunning photos. They make me feel a wide range of emotions but foremost "fascination". I have an itch to go to a few places most wouldn't (North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan) but I would draw the line at Somalia. You are brave, thanks for sharing! I need to check out your other TRs...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:04 pm

Thank you for posting another amazing report. Always enjoy reading and seeing the unique locations you visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.