Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Emirates Bangkok To Hong Kong Business Class Return (Airbus A380)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Airline: Emirates
Route: BKK-HKG Return
Flight: EK384 and EK385
Aircraft: Airbus A380
Price: About 15,000 baht (about US$ 450)
Purchase Channel: Emirates website
Date(s): 13-12-2014
Class: Business
Seat Configuration: 1-2-1
Check-In and Immigration: Premium check-in line; Premium immigration pass provided.
Baggage Allowance: 40 kg., No bag limit.
Lounges: Dedicated Emirates business lounges (BKK and HKG)
Lounge Quality: 5-Star...the best this reviewer has ever experienced.
Limousine Service: Generally yes, however, on this short flight it is not offered.
In-flight Entertainment: Unknown. Traveler provides own IFE via iPad tablet and downloaded movies, TV, books, and newspapers. The screens are large 20-22".
In-flight Internet: Yes; promotion of free for first 10 mb download and then US$ 1.00 for rest of the flight. Speed slow but web browsing and email check possible.
In-flight Cabin Crew: Mix of youngish 20-30 year-olds from around the world - primarily European. Announced that 15 languages spoken by cabin crew.
In-flight Service: Casual friendly.
Seats: Good but not very wide. 180 degree lie flat. Seat-side mini-bar.
Food Quality: Lounge...excellent; In-flight...unknown (see comments below).
Misc: Open bar and lounge area in the rear of the upper deck.

Introduction

So to start by saying I live in Thailand and the reason for me taking this flight was to experience for the first time two things: 1) The vaunted service offered by one of the pioneers of the new class of Middle Eastern airlines, namely Emirates, and 2) To fly on the newish Airbus A380 aircraft. As it happens, Emirates offers the Bangkok to Hong Kong return leg of their Dubai to Hong Kong flight for the price of a little under 15,000 bant (around US% 450) so I decided to book this flight for departure and return on the same day. I would fly out of Bangkok in the afternoon and return to Thailand later in the evening on the same plane with the same crew (boy were they surprised). During my day, I would experience both the plane itself and Emirates ground and inflight services twice in one day...what a wonderful and filling experience it turned out to be.

Airport and Lounge

As with any business class flight, airport check-in and immigration was a breeze. There are separate premium passenger check-in lines and premium passenger immigration line passes are provided for both departure and return. Emirates has their own dedicated airport lounges in both Bangkok and Hong Kong. They are large and spacious, with comfortable lounging and dedicated dining areas, along with large bathroom and shower facilities at both locations. Full shower kits are available at the lounge front desk. One interesting note in the shower is the dedicated "ablution" station. The lounge food offerings were over the top...both in terms of quantity and quality and I can best describe them as similar to dining at the lunch buffet of a Bangkok's 5-star hotel buffet...only on a slightly smaller scale (but not by much). In a word, the food was DELICIOUS. The lounge food offerings were so extensive and good such that I gorged myself before each flight to such an extent that I consequently I didn't have the room for the in-flight food service offerings (other than beverages). However, as I anticipated doing this review, I did photograph the flight menus so you readers can see what the food that was served.

Emirates Business Lounge In Bangkok

The Plane

The entire upper-deck of the Emirates A380 is given over to First and Business class passengers. The business class seating configuration is 1-2-1. The seats are comfortable but not terribly wide. This is due to the rather bulky cabinetry that is adjacent to the actual seat itself, which houses the IFE screen and foot rest cubicle of the seat behind. However, due to the box-like cabnitery around the seats, they have a very private feeling, especially seats directly adjacent to the windows. There is plenty of storage, including two large bins directly below the windows and multiple charge outlets. The seats recline 180 degrees and there is an extra padded mattress provided to lay on the seat when it is in bed mode to provide extra comfort. The IFE screens are very large (maybe 20 or 22 inches) and bright. One highlight for flight geeks are the three outside camera views taken from various points on the aircraft that can be viewed on the IFE screen. One can even observe the entire take-off with a Captain's eye view from the nose-cone camera. Just a note, if you are traveling as a couple, the middle aisle seats are the ones you want...also note that there is two configurations for the middle seats that alternate by row. One has the seats themselves adjacent to each other for easy communication (these are the ones you want) while the other configuration has them separated. I also note the these center aisle business class seats, while the same size as the window seats, the way they are configured makes them seem much more close together and much less spacious and private. Also, seat 21 A and K (I think...the window seats anyway) are bad seats...they are much shorter than all the others only one window to the 2-3 for all the other seats. Also, keep in mind the bar/lounge area at the rear of the deck. If you're a light sleeper, you want to avoid the first 4-5 rows in front of the lounge if possible on long flights when you expect to sleep and the noise from the lounge and the people passing back and forth may disturb you.

The Crew

The in-flight service crew was professional in a casual and friendly sort of way. They were predominantly youngish European men and women and they reminded me of the servers one finds in many restaurants these days who introduce themselves by their first names and want to be your friend. It's definitely not the deferential service you get (and get used to) on the Asian flag carriers; but one gets used to to it. I also noticed that being a non-Asian airline, some of the women crew were definitely on the plus side (again a somewhat jarring sight), while the stewards, on the other hand, were all trim and handsome blokes. So at least on my flight, score one for the women and gay male passengers. In some ways, especially as the flights were not especially full, it was almost a "party" atmosphere, with many of the passengers seemingly being Emirates regulars and chatting away with the crew, while others were strutting up and down the aisles with cameras in hand shooting videos, undoubtedly for their YouTube video channels.

The Food

The Emirates business class lounges, in both Bangkok and Hong Kong, were the best I've ever been in. This is really saying something as these are not "home base" lounges but far away network lounges. They put to shame all the other network business class lounges I've used at Bangkok Airport. They are also superior to the other network lounges and home-base lounges of the Asian carriers that ive used throughout Asia. This list includes the lounges of Thai, United/ANA, Cathay Pacific, and EVA. The Emirates network lounges are superior to the home-base lounge of EVA Air in Taipei and the Cathay Pacific lounge in Hong Kong; and far superior to the United lounge at Narita Airport. What really impresses me about the lounges is the extensive selection of food and its quality. The fact that it's mostly Western and Arabic food is a double bonus as that is the cuisine I prefer but this is a personal preference. This also applies to the in-flight meals and snacks as well. There is a large selection of starters like salads, soup, and cheese, as well as hot and cold main dishes and also desserts. As mentioned already, it's like the offerings of a high-end hotel buffet. The quiet atmosphere and service is also exemplary, with empty dishes being whisked away quickly and food replenished at the buffet almost immediately This is all washed down with premium wines and spirits, along with a wide selection of coffee and teas.

Conclusion

I thoroughly enjoyed my first flight on Emirates Airline...their business class product is exemplary. Would I take Emirates again...in a heart-beat. I would My normal long-haul travel schedule takes me from Bangkok to the United States around once a year. Previously I have taken an Asian based airline or United for this flight, bypassing the European and Middle Eastern carriers to save time by flying over the Pacific. In future, I will make it a point to book Emirates for my travels despite the longer flying and layover times without hesitation. Why not, it just gives me more time to eat, both on the ground and in the air, and enjoy my flight. And also, if the Emirates network lounges in Bangkok and Hong Kong are this good, what must the home base lounge in Dubai be like!

[I have a bunch of pictures that go with this report but FT says I'm not allowed to post attachments. ]

Last edited by OMGImInPattaya; Dec 27, 2014 at 3:41 am
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:48 pm

Nice report. I would love to fly emirates!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Lovely TR, thank you. Pity about the pics though.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:22 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
[I have a bunch of pictures that go with this report but FT says I'm not allowed to post attachments. ]
You'll need to post them on a picture hosting website (Picasa, Flickr, etc) and embed the url here with [img] whateverwebite.jpg [/img]
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agp423
You'll need to post them on a picture hosting website (Picasa, Flickr, etc) and embed the url here with [img] whateverwebite.jpg [/img]
Yes thanks for the tip. I'm looking into doing this now...other forums where I post allow registered members to upload and attach photos directly from their devices to their post. Why not FT?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I'm guessing it's space/cost issues. There are too many people here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.