Search

Hawaii 2014 1: BOS-SFO-KOA in UA Y, 753 and the new 739ER with Sky Interior

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

.Background: Every December, my family takes a trip to a “warm” place. Two years ago, it was San Diego. Last year, it was the Keys. This year, it’s a trip to Kona, Hawaii. In addition, we’ll be visiting San Diego to see my cousins. It would also bring an opportunity to travel on some new aircraft types. This report will be the first of the following four:

Hawaii 2014 2: ITO-ITO, open-door helicopter tour of Volcanoes National Park
Hawaii 2014 3: KOA-LAX, in another UA 753 in Y
Hawaii 2014 4: LAX-IAH-BOS Part I: A new 787 to Houston-Bush
Hawaii 2014 5: LAX-IAH-BOS Part II: A vanilla 73G back home

Routing for the entire trip:

Routing for this report:

Flight no: UA1758
Date: 18 December 2014
Scheduled departure time: 8:00 AM EST
Actual departure time: 8:24 AM EST
Scheduled arrival time: 11:50 AM PDT
Actual arrival time: 11:16 AM PDT
Segment: BOS-SFO
Aircraft type: Boeing 757-324(WL)
Aircraft registration: N57852
Aircraft MSN: 32811
Aircraft LN: 995
4th 757 flight
1st 757-300 flight
1st flight on N57852
Seat 40F - window seat behind the wing, last seat last row on DEF side

The day before, 17th December, I checked FlightRadar24 to find the registration of the two flights to Hawaii. We would be on a 757-300 registered N57852 to San Francisco (SFO/KSFO) and a 737-900ER registered N37456 to Kona (KOA/PHKO).

N57852 is a 757-324(WL) that was built and delivered to Continental Airlines (CO/COA) in 2001. 8 days after I flew this, the plane became a teenager . It was handed over to United (UA/UAL) in 2011 after the merger.

I woke up at 5:30 AM for the 8 AM flight to SFO. The cab (2012 Dodge Caravan of Veterans Taxi) arrived at 6:20 AM and it was a 20 min drive over to Logan Intl (BOS/KBOS). UA moved to Terminal B this year, leaving JetBlue (B6/JBU) and Cape Air (9K/KAP) to share Terminal C, with Emirates (EK/UAE) moving from Terminal E in a couple of months.

After entering Terminal B, we weighed our bags and had a problem – one of our bags was 5 LB over the limit of 50 LB. We removed a couple of books and everything was all fine and dandy. We printed our bag tags out at this kiosk:

Security looked like it was going to take forever to get through, but luckily the second lane had just opened when we were about to step through, so it only took two minutes or so to get airside.

Here’s a bad shot of our bird, N57852, to SFO:

As you can see, it was still quite dark at 7:10 AM. I would have got a better shot closer to the window, but we didn’t have too much time to pick up breakfast before boarding. In addition, there’s a glass barrier separating gate B25 (where I took the photo from) and our gate, B24.

Here’s a photo I took from B24:

Our seats were all split up, having 40A, 38C, 37D, and 40F. Luckily, the friendly gate agent was able to assign us seats together in the same row – 40C-F. Obviously, being a geek, I took the window 40F.

Boarding the plane: DirecT(Ad)V in flight lol

We boarded the plane during the assistance boarding lane for families with children 9 and under (my
brother’s 8).

Seat 40F:

Here’s a legroom shot of 40F (for reference, I’m 5’8”):

Safety card of this 753. Does the pink outline have anything to do with breast cancer research?

I was pretty surprised when we got to our seats that the IFE wasn’t playing ads, as I had expected, but instead the Today Show on NBC. The IFE controls were the intuitive kind that’s used on JetBlue.

I then ate my breakfast, a chocolate croissant that was bought from Peet’s Coffee and Tea by gate B24. It tasted excellent, as expected.

The old-style PSU:

Many people aboard the aircraft took a long time to get seated (Americans :P), and as a result we pushed back late. At the gate, I was able to spot a lot of aircraft.

This is a pmUA 752, N526UA (and I ended up getting a shot of the sister craft N529UA which was parked next to our gate at SFO). Unfortunately, due to the rain on the window, this is the best I can get.

Then various types of aircraft:

A British Airways (BA/BAW) 772 out to LHR:

The new safety demonstration/UA ad:

Seriously? A paper plane in a safety video?

A US Express E175:

A Delta (DL/DAL) 717 that probably came from AirTran (FL/TRS) – RIP

A DL A319:

The BA 772 taking off:

Butt of a B6 A320:

BOS terminal:

DL A319 taking off:

Boston skyline:

The 717 taking off (is that angle of attack normal for a rear-engined plane?):

Crossing the runway that we ended up taking off from.

Atlantic Ocean by the taxiway:

Blast zone with approach lights:

Starting the takeoff roll. You can see the rain being blown off the window.

Liftoff!

View of Boston from the air:

This cloud looks like a plane’s wing!

I started reading the book “What If?” by Randall Munroe, who also happens to live in Boston. I highly recommend this book if you’re into science and absurd “what if?” questions. It’s hilarious.

The beverage service came around and I asked for a ginger ale – my signature flight drink.

The lav was tiny as you can see. The photo has no zoom and I was standing with my back to the wall as I took this photo – not an easy task when I went during the roughest patch of turbulence during the entire flight.

The cabin during flight:

Unfortunately, the IFE would just end up playing ads in a loop - it didn’t even let me use the moving map. So for the whole flight, I was left guessing as to where we were flying over.

I had also downloaded a couple of episodes of Top Gear to watch on my Toshiba Satellite E55t-A5320, however I couldn’t hear anything and decided to stop, and instead started writing this TR.

What is this? Is it so frigid up here that the window has collected ice particles?

This aircraft was taking off(?) with a black contrail. It was moving at a high rate of speed and I was very lucky to get the photo. My brother thinks it’s a BA plane but I can’t see the markings from here…

I ate a blueberry muffin, also from Peet’s back at Logan:

This stretch of land looked like a tiled floor:

Crossing the Sierra Nevada mountain range gave us some spectacular views of the terrain below.

El capitano announced that we were 45 minutes out from landing. We passed a beautiful snow-covered patch of the mountains on initial descent.

This is Mono Lake:

Getting rid of some excess speed as we descend by deploying the spoilers:

The flaps extend, and we turn right to continue the descent into SFO.

On final approach over the water – the same path the crashed Asiana Airlines (OZ/AAR) flight 214 took to land. What bridge is that to my right?

Aaand…Touchdown! And with a great view of a 744.

A private jet farm:

The UA hangar with 20th century lettering on it:

An Airbus to my left:

A couple of Korean Air (KE/KAL) LD3s:

Butt of a 744:

Spot the ninja!

N779UA – the 35th 777 ever built:

A new 789:

2 744s in one picture!

Another UA 753. I would actually end up flying this one, N77865, from KOA to LAX six days after I took this photos, and on the 13th birthday of the plane I was currently sitting in.

I asked for a cockpit visit and was promptly rewarded. Unfortunately, I could not get a selfie in the pilot’s seat as this plane had to quickly turn around to KOA (not my flight; this was replacing a scheduled 739ER that had gone to maintenance and was scheduled to leave at 9:50, before I even got into SFO).

UA pilots now get tablets for the operator’s manual instead of the old clunky books.

We left the aircraft to a totally jam-packed gate ready for the flight to KOA. A couple of photos taken from the domestic terminal:

An angry-looking Air China (CA/CCA) 77W pulls up:

Last edited by JetAirways77W; Jan 13, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Flight no: UA1723
Date: 18 December 2014
Scheduled departure time: 5:35 PM PDT
Actual departure time: 6:20 PM PDT
Scheduled arrival time: 9:02 PM HST
Actual arrival time: 9:36 PM HST
Segment: SFO-KOA
Aircraft type: Boeing 737-924ER(WL)
Aircraft registration: N37456
Aircraft MSN: 37205
Aircraft LN: 4164
4th 737 flight
1st 737-900ER flight
1st flight on N37456
Seat 26F - window seat just behind the wing

FIDS at SFO, taken before security:

Back airside, I got an ice cream sundae from one of the stores in the food court. The temptation was too much to resist and I didn’t get a photo as I just devoured it lol

Model airplane over the food court:

We had to quickly run to our gate 85 so I couldn’t spot much. I did get these shots though.

A couple of four-holers:

A “ghetto bird” 763:

Boarding the 739ER:

View from 26F – to the right of us was an old pmUA 752, N529UA:

Legroom shot:

The same DirecTV here:

This bird has Sky Interior!

In this light, N529UA’s engine looks yellow, so the whole plane looks like a Packers uniform lol

We waited and waited to push back. At first, I suspected a mechanical failure, but then it was announced that we needed two pilots whose flight was canceled (probably replaced by our plane from Boston, N57852) to board, since they would fly the plane back the next day (this was what was announced, I don’t know the truth of it). They would offer $400 and a ticket in F the next day if we would volunteer for the pilots to take our place. Of course, my family didn’t take it.

Finally, we pushed back at 6:20 PM, about 45 minutes behind schedule. We would only end up making back about 11 minutes in the air, maybe because there was a lot of turbulence en route.

Will it be us or him to go first?

It’s us! Flaps extended already:

Spot the two American (AA/AAL) chromies:

What is that light under the chrome 757?

Lots of Virgin America (VX/VRD):

Unfortunately, it got very dark and I don’t have any more photos of outside. I got this one photo of the BSI in blue and then I just slept the rest of the flight.

Rest of the reports will come soon (one or two today), sorry for such a long wait (1/13/2015 right now)

Last edited by JetAirways77W; Jan 13, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Previous reports:

2. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...73-77l-ek.html

1. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...xb-blr-ek.html
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Trips not taken yet:

Hawaii 2014 2: ITO-ITO, open-door helicopter tour of Volcanoes National Park
Hawaii 2014 3: KOA-LAX, in another UA 753 in Y
Hawaii 2014 4: LAX-IAH-BOS Part I: A new 787 to Houston-Bush
Hawaii 2014 5: LAX-IAH-BOS Part II: A vanilla 73G back home
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:45 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
looks like an awesome star! cannot wait to see the rest
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Look forward to the volcano report!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
VDB of 400 bucks plus confirmed F? uhh...i'd ditch the family and spend a night in SF lol.

and just a nitpicky photo thing; focus on specific areas with your camera, and then try and take multiple shots (enable burst/rapid shooting, or HDR where it will take mutliple shots with 1-2 finger presses). when taking photos in low light setting, the camera is more sensitive to shaking (especially when pressing the button to actually take photos), so if you take multiples, there's a higher likelihood of getting a non-blurry shot. memory is free, it's not like you're wasting film!

finally, have fun on the big island!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by psychoandy
VDB of 400 bucks plus confirmed F? uhh...i'd ditch the family and spend a night in SF lol.

and just a nitpicky photo thing; focus on specific areas with your camera, and then try and take multiple shots (enable burst/rapid shooting, or HDR where it will take mutliple shots with 1-2 finger presses). when taking photos in low light setting, the camera is more sensitive to shaking (especially when pressing the button to actually take photos), so if you take multiples, there's a higher likelihood of getting a non-blurry shot. memory is free, it's not like you're wasting film!

finally, have fun on the big island!
Thanks for commenting. I forgot to mention that we would also get a free hotel room each in SFO. Unfortunately, we had to get to ITO the next day for a heli tour. Air Force One was there, and a couple of HA 712s but nothing else. Report coming soon.

And about the photos, I'm actually using a smartphone camera (1st gen Moto X) and I'm surprised that they turned out this well, see my first report and you'll understand.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:56 pm

FYI channel 9 is not the moving map-it is the ability to listen in to the pilots and ATC communications. It tends to be a feature only on sUA planes at the discretion of the cockpit and it tends not to be offered on sCO planes. Also, on the planes with DTV, you always get a short preview to use it in Y before you can't use any of the functions and have to pay (including for the moving map)
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
If you were descending towards SFO for landing, those were not the Rockies you were passing over. The mtns were the Sierra Nevada mountain range. No idea what the lake was in the picture.

Hope you are having a great Hawaiian vacation. Look forward to the rest of your report.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveman518
FYI channel 9 is not the moving map-it is the ability to listen in to the pilots and ATC communications. It tends to be a feature only on sUA planes at the discretion of the cockpit and it tends not to be offered on sCO planes. Also, on the planes with DTV, you always get a short preview to use it in Y before you can't use any of the functions and have to pay (including for the moving map)
Yeah, that's what happened to me. All the planes on all segments were sCO (except for the 739ER and the 788 on LAX-IAH, which I just flew yesterday). The 753 from KOA-LAX was ex-ATA and ex-CO.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:38 am

Deleted

Last edited by starbug; May 20, 2020 at 11:15 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Oh sorry I posted the wrong image...Still think it's Mono Lake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.