Climate Change; Midwest and Maple Leaf Meanderings; More Fall Colours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 4th November 2014 to 23rd November 2014
Part I: 4th November to 8th November

I got Super Shuttle to LAX and checked in at Terminal 3. Earlier I checked in at home via the Internet and the best seat available at that time was a centre non-reclining exit row seat, seat 9B on the A-320. However I checked once more at the kiosk and saw that 22A was open so I grabbed that and saw that the centre seat was empty. My bags weighed 39 and 42.5lbs. I got receipt for checked bag fee and was randomly selected for expedited screening at security so I got to keep my hat on though I needed to take my belt and boots off.

Virgin America #232 LAX-ORD A-320 Group C
Seat 22A Cruising altitude 39,000 feet Estimated flying time 3:30, actual 3:24
Depart: Gate 37A Scheduled 10h10, actual 10h13 Taxi: 6 minutes
Arrive: Gate L3 Scheduled 16h05, actual 15h54 Taxi: 10 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 20-21 minutes after arrival however bags were on the belt by the time I arrived at baggage reclaim

We boarded via jetway and the seat next to me may have been one of if not the only one empty. This was only the second time I flew on Virgin America, the first time was late October 2010 YYZ-LAX.

Pushback was 3 minutes late followed by takeoff to the west over the ocean then turn south and we went around the Palos Verdes Peninsula and made landfall over Bolsa Chica/Huntington Beach. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:17 near Mt. San Jacinto. I felt bumps and seatbelt sign went back on at 0:22. We crossed the Colorado River at 0:37 and I saw Lake Havasu and Lake Havasu City.

We crossed Interstate 17 at 0:56 and I saw Flagstaff, AZ and the San Francisco Peaks. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:57 as we crossed Interstate 40 east of Flagstaff. At 1:02 seatbelt sign went on again. At 1:11 there was drink run and I got can of soda. I saw Gallup, NM at 1:17. The speed was at this part of the flight was about 460mph and was gradually increasing and I thought we were losing time.

Seatbelt sign went off at 1:39 over NM and on again at 1:42. At 1:44 we crossed Interstate 25 and I saw Springer, NM and Raton, NM farther out. At 1:48 we crossed US64 and turned more NE and I saw Des Moines, NM. We entered Kansas airspace at 1:59 and seatbelt sign went off at 2:03. At 2:05 we were over Garden City, KS. Our speed was increasing as we picked up a tailwind. Ultimately the speed increased to something like 690mph at one point. I saw Interstate 70 near Ellsworth, KS at 2:20 and we encountered some clouds and seatbelt sign went on when there were bumps at 2:21. At 2:22 we crossed Interstate 135 near Salina, KS and seatbelt sign went off at 2:35.

We crossed into Missouri airspace at 2:36 and the view below was totally blocked by clouds. Seatbelt sign went on and initial descent was announced at 2:56. At 2:59 we were over Galesburg, IL but clouds still blocked the view below. I saw Princeton, IL at 3:03 then I saw the Illinois River and La Salle, IL at 3:04 and we made turns and finally crossed Interstates 39 and 80 at 3:07. I saw Interstate 88 and Aurora, IL at 3:13. We crossed Interstate 355 toll road at 3:15. We overflew ORD at 3:16, then turned north and west before reaching Lake Michigan. We landed east to west and arrived at gate 11 minutes early.

After I claimed my checked bags I headed to Ground Transportation. When I stepped outside I noticed it was considerably cooler than southern California as it was 50 rather than 80F. I caught the Peoria Charter Coach to Peoria. After having Evening Rations at Perkins I spent the night in Peoria, IL.

Wednesday I hired taxi to Morton, IL where I got the truck. There was a delay as I found a couple of issues during the Safety Inspection as a rear light was out and a mirror fixture was loose. After those were fixed I was good to go.

Trip: Morton, IL to Scarborough (Toronto), ON 657 paid miles
Make: 2015 Western Star
Model: Cab/Chassis
Transmission: Automatic
Route: Interstate 74 to Interstate 55 to US6 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 69 to Blue Water Bridge to Ontario 402 to Ontario 401
Diesel price USA: $3.739/gallon at Pilot Channahon, IL
Diesel price Canada: $1.239CAD/litre at Flying J Ayr, ON
Border Crossing: Port Huron, MI to Sarnia, ON

This was the first time in a long time I had a Cab and Chassis and I left the "C Clamps" at home due to weight so I stopped at Walmart to get some zip ties to secure the temporary mudflaps. Walmart did not have the clamps I was looking for. I got started and made into Indiana and spent the night in Michigan City, IN.

Thursday it was rainy and windy. The rain was not heavy but seemed worse due to the wind. The leaves were almost all gone from the trees but there were still a few examples of fall colours here and there. I continued through Michigan and there was no wait at the border. I was asked how long I would be in Canada, the paper with barcode I presented was stamped and I was sent on my way. I spent the night in London, ON.

Friday I took on fuel in Ayr and traffic jams started in Milton. I made the delivery about 15 minutes before the receiver was scheduled to close in Scarborough on the east side of Toronto. I hired a taxi to Richmond Hill where I got the next truck.

Trip: Richmond Hill, ON to Northville, MI 264 paid miles
Make: 2014 Kenworth
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: York Regional 25 to Ontario 400 to York Regional 7 to Ontario 427 to Ontario 401 to Ontario 402 to Blue Water Bridge to Interstate 69 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 696 to Interstate 96
Diesel price Canada: $1.219CAD/litre at Flying J Mississauga, ON
Diesel price USA: $3.859/gallon at Pilot Kimball, MI
Border Crossing: Sarnia, ON/Port Huron, MI

I got the truck and actually went north a few km on the 400 to stop at the Service Centre where I got my Evening Rations at Swiss Chalet which consisted of a good Rotisserie Chicken Dinner with French Fries plus Roll and Butter. Then I used the next interchange to turn around. I took on fuel in Mississauga near the busiest section of highway in all of North America. Finally I got back on the 401 and shut down and spent the night in Cambridge, ON.

Saturday there was rain when I started and it rained most of the time with some breaks, especially around Port Huron, MI. There was a short queue at the border but no problem crossing though I was charged the 10.75$ fee. I received word there was a flight set up which had to be changed. I took on fuel in Kimball, MI and arranged for my ride to DTW at that time. I then continued to Northville, MI where I did after hours delivery and got ride to DTW.

I checked in and paid fees for checked bags which weighed 45 and 42lbs. I cleared security and was randomly chosen for additional screening and went through the scanner. Originally I was scheduled to leave at 19h20 on AA going to ORD but was changed to DL leaving at 20h06 going to MDW. I would not have made the first flight.

Delta Connection #5409 DTW-MDW CRJ-900 Zone 1
Seat 7A Economy Comfort Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 0:49, actual 0:44
Depart: Gate A57 Scheduled 20h06, actual 20h07 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate A10 Scheduled 20h24, actual 20h06 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 13 minutes after arrival. Note: Bags arrived at baggage reclaim before I did

We boarded via jetway and the plane was not very full. Configuration was 12F/64Y and there were 42-44 pax on board. It was announced it was 47F and winds out of west and partly cloudy at MDW. Pushback was 1 minute late and takeoff was south. At 0:04 it was announced there was no scheduled beverage or snack service in main cabin due to short duration of flight. I was disappointed as Southwest is able to accomplish service on shorter flights on a full 737.

Seatbelt sign went off at 0:15. At 0:18 it appeared cloud cover partly covered city lights below. I thought I felt descent and at same time seat belt sign went on at 0:19. Descent was announced at 0:22 and it was 44F at MDW. I saw shore of Lake Michigan partly blocked by clouds and saw lights of Chicago area on approach. We landed to northwest and arrived at gate 18 minutes early.

I got my bags and took a taxi to hotel. I got my Evening Rations at Steak and Shake then spent the night in Joliet, IL.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
More Midwest; More Climate Change; First Snow; Paperwork Delay

Part II: 9th November to 16th November

Sunday I hired a taxi to get to the shipper. The address did not show up on the GPS so I phoned dispatch and finally ended up talking to a driver who previously visited the shipper. It turned out the shipper was at a new facility on a street that was so new that it was not yet in any database. I got the truck, did the inspection and got underway.

Trip: Joliet, IL to Lawrenceville, IL 240 paid miles
Make: 2015 Kenworth
Transmission: Standard straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 80 to Interstate 57 to Illinois 33 to Illinois 130 to US50 to Illinois 1
Diesel price USA: $3.799/gallon at Pilot Champaign, IL

I headed east on Interstate 80 then south on Interstate 57. There is a quirk in the law in Illinois where for a time the speed limit was 65 then 70 for cars but 55 for trucks (as in California and as it used to be statewide in Illinois) due to the proximity to Chicago. By the time I got to Kankakee the speed limit was 70 for all vehicles. I took on fuel in Champaign then got off the Interstate in Mattoon and went to Bible Baptist Church. I made it for the last part of the evening service and had a chat with the pastor afterwards before continuing south. I left the Interstate for two-lane roads in Effingham. I spent the night in Olney, IL.

Monday the weather was nice and it got up to about 65F or so. I found the place where I was to deliver though I was not able to reach the receiver by phone. I made the delivery and was given a lift to Vincennes, IN where I got a rental car for Burlington, IA.

I got the rental car and as there was some time to play with I did some errands then took some pictures of downtown and visited the George Rogers Clark National Historical Park. Then I headed up to Terre Haute and took some pictures there and got my Evening Rations at Ryan's before heading across Illinois and I crossed the Mississippi into Burlington, Iowa. The temperature dropped to about 40F (from a high of about 65F) by the time I arrived at hotel where I spent the night in Burlington, IA.

Tuesday it was cold and windy with temperatures no better than the low 30's F and a wind chill much lower than that. I dropped off the rental car and was given a lift first to the shipper and someone who happened to be there told me the place was closed due to the Veterans Day Holiday so I was then taken back to hotel and spent another day and night trying to stay warm in Burlington, IA.

Wednesday I hired taxi to the shipper and got the truck, was able to do the inspection in a building where it was warmer before I got underway.

Trip: Burlington, IA to Streator, IL 152 paid miles
Make: 2001 International
Route: US61 to US34 to Interstate 74 to Interstate 55 to Interstate 39 to Illinois 18 to Illinois 23
Highest diesel price USA: $3.899/gallon at The Junction Galesburg, IL
Lowest diesel price USA: $3.839/gallon at Pilot Minonk, IL

I made a brief stop and took pictures of downtown Burlington and the bridge across the Mississippi River before crossing back over to the "dirty side." There were a few snow flurries but nothing serious. I took on fuel in Galesburg, IL then later in Minonk, IL before heading into Streator where I learned there was a truck for me to take to Innisfil, ON.

I ended up at the factory in Streator where I found a place to drop the truck and looked for the truck assigned to me. I did not find the truck assigned to me but phoned dispatch and ended up getting another truck like it but with a different serial number going to Innisfil. I switched out my gear, went to the office and was given the keys but alas some needed paperwork for crossing the border was not available. Therefore I headed to motel and spent the night in Streator, IL.

Trip: Streator, IL to Innisfil, ON 624 paid miles
Make: 2014 Western Star
Transmission: Standard 18-speed
Route: Illinois 23 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 94 to Indiana 49 to Interstate 80 Indiana Toll Road to Interstate 69to Blue Water Bridge to Ontario 402 to Ontario 401 to Ontario 400
Highest diesel price USA: $3.959/gallon at Flying J Grand Ledge, MI
Lowest diesel price USA: $3.659/gallon at Pilot Burns Harbor, IN
Highest diesel Canada: $1.279CAD/litre at Flying J Ayr, ON
Lowest diesel Canada: $1.219CAD/litre at Husky Bradford, ON
Border Crossing: Port Huron, MI/Sarnia, ON

Thursday late morning I headed back to the shipper and got the paperwork needed to cross the border. There were some snow flurries in Illinois but I heard lake effect snow so I altered my route. I got off Interstate 94 and used Indiana 49 to cut down to the Indiana Toll Road in an effort to avoid the lake effect snow. That did not totally work but at the end of the day I think I fared better than I would have had I stayed on the 94. I got some snow that got intense in La Porte, IN before it diminished and stopped by the time I reached South Bend. Though it was not snowing at the time I reached South Bend there was a lot of snow on the ground as it appeared that area got dumped on a short time ago and there were several vehicles in the ditch. The snow came and went and east of Elkhart I saw three cars slip and slide but fortunately no crash. I got on the northbound 69 and spent the night in Coldwater, MI.

Friday there was snow in and near Coldwater but it quit by the time I reached Lansing. I got a fax in Imlay City, MI with more paperwork needed to cross the border and I crossed the border with no problem then shut down and spent the night in Sarnia, ON.

Saturday I continued toward the receiver. Traffic was jammed on the 401 in Toronto. The weigh scale was open on the 400 in King City. I was not pulled in. I did an after hours drop in Innisfil and found out there were no rooms available in Barrie so I got an airport shuttle to YYZ and got to hotel where I spent night in Toronto, ON.

Sunday I got free shuttle back to YYZ and found out the luggage carts there are now free. I got rental car to MDW Chicago Midway, a long trip. There were some large snowflakes falling outside. I got underway and the snow diminished as I headed west. I stopped in Cambridge for Midday Rations. There was a queue for crossing the border but I was not detained at Port Huron. I stopped in Swartz Creek, MI to go to Sovereign Grace Baptist Church but for some reason or other there was no service so I continued to Lansing and stopped by Calvary Baptist Church just as the evening service was letting out. I did have a chat with the pastor before continuing to Kalamazoo where I had Evening Rations. Afterward I continued west through Indiana into the Chicago area and spent the night in Bridgeview, IL.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Hoosier State to Wild Rose Country; Sunday with Friends; First time on Rouge

Part III: 17th November to 23rd November

Monday the 17th of November dawned clear but cold with a wind chill that was most unpleasant. I stopped by Costco on my way to MDW and took on fuel for the rental car before returning the car. Unleaded gasoline was under 3$ per gallon. I turned in the car got shuttle to MDW and was picked up and taken on a 140$ ride to Winamac, IN where I got the truck. The air temperature was in the low 20'sF but it felt much colder with the wind chill.

Trip: Winamac, IN to Calgary, AB 1,752 paid miles
Make: 2015 Freightliner
Model: Cab/Chassis/Roll Off
Route: US35 to US30 to Interstate 65 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 39 to Interstate 90 to Interstate 94 to US83 to US2 to US52 to Saskatchewan 39 to Saskatchewan/Alberta 1 Trans Canada Highway to Alberta 901 to Alberta 22XX to Alberta 201 Stoney Trail
Maximum elevation: unknown but Calgary is 3,430 feet above sea level
Highest diesel price USA: $4.619/gallon at Stamart Bismarck, ND (D#1)
Lowest diesel price USA: $3.599/gallon at BP Winamac, IN (D#2)
Highest diesel price Canada: $1.349CAD/litre at Flying J Redcliff, AB
Lowest diesel price Canada: $1.239CAD/litre at Husky Estevan, SK
Border Crossing: Portal, ND/North Portal, SK

I got the truck, did the inspection and took on fuel in Winamac then in Valparaiso, IN. I got as far as Morris, IL where I spent the night.

Tuesday I continued and stopped for supplies in Ottawa, IL then had Midday Rations in Rochelle, IL. There was light snow as I entered Eau Claire, WI where I plugged the truck in and spent the night.

Wednesday it was cold and there was some snow in Wisconsin as well as the Twin Cities. I took on fuel in Roberts, WI and Alexandria, MN. I had Evening Rations at Cornerstone Buffet & Restaurant in Melrose, MN where a different buffet is featured each evening. I spent the night in Moorhead, MN where I plugged the truck in and the low that night was 2F.

Thursday it was cold and clear as I entered North Dakota. I had Midday Rations at Hilltop Cafe in Valley City, ND and Evening Rations at Golden Corral in Bismarck, ND before heading north on US83. I took on #1 Diesel in both Bismarck and Minot, ND as #1 Diesel is treated for winter and does not gel as easily as the #2 Diesel which is what I normally get. I spent the night in Kenmare, ND.

Friday the temperature rose above freezing and it might have even gotten to 50F/10C in Minot, ND. It clouded over around Weyburn, SK. I spent the night in Swift Current, SK.

Saturday I was concerned there might be ice but the temperature stayed above freezing and there was some light rain but I got out of the rain and into the wind. There were some breaks in the clouds but it was mostly overcast. I went to Husky to take on fuel in Medicine Hat, AB only to find the pumps closed. I was told there was a Flying J west of town.
I got a map and went downtown and took some pictures of downtown Medicine Hat before proceeding to Redcliff where I took on fuel at Flying J.

My phone acted up and decided not to make outgoing calls in Alberta and that caused me to alter my plans. I was going to go on to Calgary do after hours drop, take taxi to hotel then notify one of my friends where I was staying to be picked up the next morning. Instead I stopped in Bassano, AB, phoned up my friend using calling card and explained the situation and we came to a solution. I had Evening Rations then spent the night in Bassano, AB.

Sunday morning I got early and it was still dark. I headed west on the Trans Canada Highway to Highway 901 which turned into 22XX then I hit Stoney Trail to Glenmore Trail and stopped for a pit stop at a Tim Horton's before going to receiver to do a rare Sunday after hours delivery. The timing was perfect as my friend showed up as I was completing the post trip.

I was taken to Redeemer Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Airdrie, AB (north side of Calgary) for Morning Service and Sunday School. The sermon was "The Catch-All Commandment" on coveting. Sunday School was on God's Leading. Afterwards we stopped by KFC to get some chicken then went to another friend's house in Airdrie where we had Midday Rations. In addition to the chicken I tried Ice Cream Cake and I found I like it.

We watched a few minutes of football then I transferred my gear into another vehicle and one of my friends went home and another friend took me back to church for afternoon service which started at 15h00. The message was "Rejects Accepted" based on John 4:1-13. After the service I saw a little of Airdrie then was taken to YYC with plenty of time to catch my flight.

I checked in and bags weighed 42 and 44lbs. I paid 63$CAD checked bag fee then precleared US Customs and after that cleared security after a queue. Time from check in to clear of security was about 35 minutes.

Air Canada rouge #1876 YYC-LAX A-319
Seat 29A Cruising altitude 34,000-35,000 feet Estimated flying time 3:11, actual 2:24
Depart: Gate B39 Scheduled 19h40, actual 20h15 Taxi/hold: 16 minutes
Arrive: Gate 24A Scheduled 21h45, actual 22h03 Taxi: 8 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 15-16 minutes after arrival

This was my first time on Air Canada rouge. We boarded via jetway. The plane was not very full at all which was fortunate. The pitch in economy is something like 29 inches which is very tight. The first 3 rows are business class with configuration 3x3 and the centre seat in that section is apparently blocked. The plane had a capacity of about 142 passengers but was not even half full and I had a whole row to myself. If the plane was full the flight would have been miserable.

The plane was late arriving so we were delayed. Pushback was 35 minutes late followed by takeoff to northeast. We leaped right off the runway due to the light load. We turned left to head west then south and I saw lights of downtown Calgary as well as Stoney Trail and Deerfoot Trail.

Seatbelt sign went off at 0:02 and at 0:33 there was a drink run and I got can of soda. At 1:57 it was announced we would start descent and it was 19C at LAX. I felt descent begin at 1:59. At 2:09 I saw the San Fernando Valley and at 2:11 seatbelt sign went on. We turned east and crossed Interstate 405 heading east at 2:16 and I saw West LA and Century City. We went over downtown at 2:18 and at 2:19 we turned south then west and crossed Interstate 110 at 2:21. We crossed Interstate 405 at 2:23 and landed east to west and arrived at gate 18 minutes late. I got my bags and took a shuttle home to end this tour of duty yet I needed to get ready for my Thanksgiving Trip.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Wow! That's quite the itinerary! And I see you're movin' up in the world - flying Virgin America and Air Canada in addition to Southwest. I hope you'll get a chance to someday cash in those miles for a non-working vacation. In First Class, of course!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Wow! That's quite the itinerary! And I see you're movin' up in the world - flying Virgin America and Air Canada in addition to Southwest. I hope you'll get a chance to someday cash in those miles for a non-working vacation. In First Class, of course!
I did cash in miles and points for a non-working trip and that Trip Report will be posted in due course, when I have the time to do it. However none of the planes I was on even had First Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.