FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   Emirates A380 Business Class from DXB to SYD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1628332-emirates-a380-business-class-dxb-syd.html)

theLuxuryTravelExpert Nov 13, 2014 4:50 am

Emirates A380 Business Class from DXB to SYD

This is my 4th flight review on Flyertalk!

On October 24th 2014, I flew Business Class in an Airbus A380 of Emirates from Dubai (DXB) to Sydney (SYD). The preceding flight segment from Brussels (BRU) to Dubai (DXB) was flown on an Emirates Boeing 777-200ER, and I will post a review of this flight soon, since it was a totally different experience.

- I took a lot of photos during the flight. You can find them here: http://theluxurytravelexpert.com/201...s-airbus-a380/
- I also made a youtube clip of my flight experience. Hope you like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVHC6WkGmyA

* Trip: DXB-SYD
* Airline: Emirates
* Aircraft type: Airbus A380
* Aircraft ID: A6-EEK
* Flight Number: EK414
* On time departure: yes (02.11 am)
* On time arrival: yes (10.22 pm)
* Miles: 7481
* Flight time: 13:11
* Seat: 23K
* Class: business (D)

https://theluxurytravelexpert.files....1/pa240285.jpg

1. EMIRATES BUSINESS CLASS LOUNGE AT DUBAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Although rather dull in design, the airline’s lounge at Dubai International Airport is vast and impressive, overlooking the main concourse and its shops. It’s so huge that you will never have a problem finding a quiet spot to relax. The various (warm & cold) buffets were tasty. The shower rooms are a real treat if you want to refresh while waiting for a connecting flight. Treatments can also be booked at the lounge’s Timeless Spa. Free high-speed WiFi was working very well. The lounge gives direct access to most gates.

2. THE BUSINESS CLASS CABIN

All of Emirates’ Business Class seats are located in 2 cabins on the upper deck of the Airbus A380, behind the First Class cabin. The first cabin contains the bulk of the seats (58 in total), while the cabin located at the rear of the plane (just in front the bar and the restrooms) contains only 18 seats and feels more intimate.

The cabin offers a warm feeling, with a lot of classy burled walnut veneer, gold trim and pearlised plastic that frames the seats (and which may not suit all tastes). The mood lighting during the flight was very enjoyable: the colors of the ceiling changed with the local time, and the starry sky panels added a touch of magic during the night.

3. THE BUSINESS CLASS SEAT

With a staggered 1–2–1 configuration in business class, each passenger is assured of direct aisle access and a significant amount of privacy. Each seat comes with plenty of storage space, an in-seat power supply (so you can use your laptop for the duration of the long-haul flight), a side table for space to work, and a personal minibar, stocked with soft drinks (albeit not cooled). The seat can be reclined into a fully and very comfortable – albeit narrow – flatbed. A duvet was provided by the crew to enhance the sleeping comfort (so I arrived at Sydney feeling quite refreshed).

How to choose the best Emirates A380 Business Class seat?
- The window seats (A, K) are more private than the aisle seats (B, D, G, J) as they are sheltered from the aisle by the seat’s mini-bar cabinet and the enclosed footrest of the person behind. The window seats also benefit from the storage cabinets under the windows.
- The dual and more intimate seats in the centre of the cabin (E, F) are perfect for partners traveling together.
- Keep in mind that aisle seats (B, D, G, J) are slightly shorter when fully flat, extending to 70 inches (178 cm) as compared to 79 inches (200 cm) for window and central seats (A, E, F, K). Seat pitch varies from 48 to 39 inches (122 to 99 cm), with the central and window seats again offering more space as compared to aisle seats. Seat width is 18.5 inches throughout the cabin.
- Seat 23A & 23K are the best Business Class seats on the A380 since they offer more legroom and privacy as compared to other window seats.
- IMHO, seats 7A & 7K are the worst seats: despite the fact that they have extra legroom (like seats 23A & 23K), they are totally exposed to the aisle and do not offer privacy at all (they seem to be lacking a shelter like is the case for all the other window seats).

4. AMENITIES

Each seat comes with a thin but comfortable blanket, a decently sized pillow, a lovely duvet, a noise cancelling headphone, flight socks and earplugs.

After take-off, one of the most luxurious amenity kits in the skies was offered to all Business Class passengers. The amenity kit was presented a large and gorgeous toiletry bag, and it contained the usual necessities – albeit in luxe edition – such as toothbrush and toothpaste through to handkerchiefs and deodorant. The mens amenity kit also provided Gilette shaving foam and a razor, as well as moisturizers and aftershaves by Bvlgari. The women’s one was different, catering with more feminine product ranges.

Unfortunately, pyjamas were not offered on this longhaul overnight flight, despite the phenomenal Business Class product and contrary to its Middle East competitors Qatar Airways and Etihad Airways.

5. MEALS

Upon boarding, I was offered the choice between a glass of water, orange juice or Veuve Cliquot. Before take-off, I also received a refreshing hot towel with a nice texture (hot towels were also served before lunch, 2 hours prior to landing).

Forty-five minutes after take off, a hearty breakfast was served. At first, it seemed odd, given the local hour (2 am), but it was delicious nevertheless: a fresh mango juice, a palette of tropical and seasonal cut fresh fruits, fruit flavoured yoghurt, and a bread basket (butter croissant and a pastry). As a main course, I choose the breakfast mixed grill which tasted excellent: grilled chicken medallion with herb butter, grilled beef steak, sauteed mushrooms, roasted cherry tomato on the vine, and potato slices with onion.

About two hours before landing, “lunch” was served (at 7 pm local time, above Uluru). As as starter, I choose the traditional Arabic mezze, which was delicious: hommous, muhamarra, tabouleh, aubergine makdous, moutabal and shanklish salad, complemented by local garnishes and a seasonal salad. The main course did not disappoint neither: grilled beef steak, served with truffle jus lie, and accompanied by sauteed leaf spinach, grilled red cherry tomato on the vine, and roasted garlic potatoes. As a dessert, I choose the fruit selection.

For the hungry ones, light bites were non-stop available during the flight, from cold snacks (deli platter) to hot snacks (e.g. creamy vegetable pie, prawn cake skewers, nasi goreng) and sweets (lemon meringue tart).

6. ENTERTAINMENT

One of the strongest elements of the Emirates A380 is the inflight intertainment system, the so-called ICE (information, communications, entertainment). ICE has an extensive range of new-release and classic films, television shows, box sets and audio options to choose from. You can choose from up to 1,800 channels of the latest and greatest movies and must-see TV shows, on demand and in multiple languages. You can also relax to music from around the world or play our range of fun games. The cameras installed in the tail, nose and belly of the megaplane also offer some fun moments, especially at take-off and landing.

The inflight entertainment is displayed on an individual giant 17-inch (43 cm) touch-screen that is supported by two hand-held controllers: one tablet-like device dedicated to the business class seat, including the seat controls ; and another smaller, standard inflight entertainment system controller. The touch-screen combined with the 2 controllers means that there is plenty of options to control your inflight entertainment depending on how the seat is reclined.

7. OTHER INFLIGHT & GROUND EXPERIENCES

#CREW: the crew did a great job and was extremely friendly (addressing my by name, presenting themselves individually before take-off, and also thanking me in person for choosing Emirates before landing). All requests were dealt with promptly and cordially. Upon boarding the preceding flight segment on a Boeing 777, stewardesses explained the features of the cabin and seat to passengers individually, but this was not the case on the A380.

# BAR: At the rear of the upper cabin, you can find the A380 Onboard Lounge – a bar exclusive to First Class and Business Class customers and a hub of activity throughout the flight. One could choose from premium spirits, exclusive wines, champagne, cocktails and beers alongside hot and cold beverages served by a dedicated bartender It’s a good platform to stretch your legs while interacting with other passengers and the international crew.

#LAVATORY: the 4 lavatories for Business Class passengers are located at the rear of the plane. Two of them come with a window. All lavatories were kept very clean during the flight.

#WIFI: Emirates offered 10MB of free WiFi to each passenger during the flight. An additional 600MB could be purchased for $1. If you exceeded that limit, you could purchase yet another 600MB for $1. WiFi worked great.

#CHAUFFEUR SERVICE: one of the great things about flying Business (or First) class with Emirates is the complimentary chauffeur-driven airport transfers. Chauffeur-drive must be requested online, up to 48 hours prior to your flight. It is so nice to arrive at a foreign airport and to be whisked away to your hotel in a minimum of time!

8. MY VERDICT

Seat : 8/10
Food: 8/10
Inflight entertainment : 10/10
Amenity kit: 10/10
Service: 9/10
Cabin atmosphere (upper deck): 9.5/10
Overall experience: exceptional: 9/10

eponymous_coward Nov 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Great report, but I'm a bit confused...

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert (Post 23835184)
- Seat 43A & 43K are the best Business Class seats on the A380 since they offer more legroom and privacy as compared to other window seats.

There's no 43A/K on the upper deck of an EK A380, those are lower deck economy seats. Perhaps you mean 23A/K?

theLuxuryTravelExpert Nov 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 23837545)
Great report, but I'm a bit confused...

There's no 43A/K on the upper deck of an EK A380, those are lower deck economy seats. Perhaps you mean 23A/K?

Thank you so much for pointing that out. It is a typo/mistake indeed. Seats 23A/K are the best seats IMHO (not 43A/K). I updated the trip report with the correct information.

steveman518 Nov 13, 2014 3:58 pm

very nice! ^
(also, the seat is a staggered 1-2-1, not herringbone)

theLuxuryTravelExpert Nov 14, 2014 3:07 am

Originally Posted by steveman518 (Post 23838269)
very nice! ^
(also, the seat is a staggered 1-2-1, not herringbone)

Thank you for the correction.

talula001 Nov 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Great trip report. I am flying an Emirates A380 in business next month from New York. I cannot wait!

restlessinRNO Nov 15, 2014 12:54 pm

theLuxuryTravelExpert - Great trip report. I enjoyed your very extensive photo collection, including meal and wine list. :)

Madone59 Nov 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks for sharing. EK J looks great - wonderful photos.

theLuxuryTravelExpert Nov 17, 2014 7:10 am

For those of you interested: I posted a Youtube clip about my Emirates 777 flight (part of the same trip) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9cfYb7iixs. Flying the 777 was a totally different (and inferior) experience as compared to the Airbus A380. I will try to write & post a review about it soon.

El Puerco Volante Nov 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert (Post 23835184)
Unfortunately, pyjamas were not offered on this longhaul overnight flight, despite the phenomenal Business Class product and contrary to its Middle East competitors Qatar Airways and Etihad Airways.

I actually find words "Luxury Travel" and a C flight review slightly weird looking together. EK C is decent, but certainly not luxury...

And ehm, someone calling himself "Expert" should probably know that EY do not offer pyjamas in C neither... ;)

Regards,

El Puerco Volante

vieri_c Nov 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Give the OP a break, so he/ she erred with EY and the non-PJs, bit harsh to go all personal on the screen name. EK does a fine job in J and for most, it is a luxury.

TheLuxuryTravelExpert, keep those TR rolling on!