Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New American 777-200 retrofit Business Class (AA 772 J) trip report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Do you think AA ever pre-tested these seats and the cabin layout (forward and backward facing seats, seat width and space, ability to look out the window, etc) with actual passengers before they committed to what I think is a bizzare layout ? Do 50% of the people actually prefer to fly backwards? Certainly not me.
Most actually don't care. Rear facing is actually better for sleeping given the pitch upward of the aircraft in flight so your head is slightly elevated rather then your feet with forward facing seats. I've flown rear facing many times on BA and actually prefer the rear facing seats on the upper deck.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmd320
I believe JDiver was referring to the first (initial) flat J seat CX had installed which was very tight and coffin-like. The new J seat is quite good, and is the same one AA uses on the 77W.
Yes I believe JDiver was referring to the old CX J seat, which can still be found on their 340s.

Do you think AA ever pre-tested these seats and the cabin layout (forward and backward facing seats, seat width and space, ability to look out the window, etc) with actual passengers before they committed to what I think is a bizzare layout ? Do 50% of the people actually prefer to fly backwards? Certainly not me.
UA and BA have large numbers of rear facing business class seats. They're fine. Quite a few people prefer them.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by grahampros
Most actually don't care. Rear facing is actually better for sleeping given the pitch upward of the aircraft in flight so your head is slightly elevated rather then your feet with forward facing seats.
They don't take this into account when designing these seats? Solstys seats are adjusted by 3 degree to compensate for the plane's tilt so that the seats are fully flat in flight.

Last edited by Rivarix; Oct 17, 2014 at 12:51 am
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:02 am

Sorry to be off topic, but you are commenting about CX's first class seat in a critical way. I'm thinking about flying them to HKG in F. Are you suggesting that in your experience their F seat is less than ideal? Are CX J seats any good?
I fly CX in F and J all the time. The Herringbone seats to which the other poster referenced are only for business class and limited to the 744 and A340, neither of which are used for flights ex-USA at the moment. The rest of the CX fleet has been retrofitted with the far more comfortable Cirrus seats.

CX's F cabin is outstanding and is, in my opinion, one of the best overall products in the sky. The only drawback is that the upright position for takeoff and landing is slightly uncomfortable.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
All 772s will be refitted but it will be some time before the fleet is complete. They are way behind the original schedule and only 1 is complete with another 3 to be completed in the next 6 weeks. At that rate it will take a couple of years most likely to get to all of the fleet of the 47 of them. Approximately half of the 767's will be reconfigured with 4 currently completed. The rest will be phased out with the introduction of the 787 over the next 3 years.

So, it will be very hit or miss for both aircraft for some time.
Oh that seems to be a long time. I guess I'll just have to monitor which routes have the retrofits on them or just stick to BA flights.

To add to the discussion about rear facing seats, I have flown many a time on BA in a rear facing seat and it really doesn't make any difference to the whole experience. As someone else pointed out I would rather sit rear facing than in coach.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AADFW
I fly CX in F and J all the time. The Herringbone seats to which the other poster referenced are only for business class and limited to the 744 and A340, neither of which are used for flights ex-USA at the moment. The rest of the CX fleet has been retrofitted with the far more comfortable Cirrus seats.

CX's F cabin is outstanding and is, in my opinion, one of the best overall products in the sky. The only drawback is that the upright position for takeoff and landing is slightly uncomfortable.
Would go further.....CX F is the best F product in the skies overall.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the trip report. Cant wait to try one of these out!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Great report -- does the head rest have side support (or just move up and down)?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Great report -- does the head rest have side support (or just move up and down)?
It doesn't have side support, but it does indeed move up and down (electronically using the controls).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by dll
The Cirrus seat is really, IMO, the best business class in the sky. It is the perfect blend of privacy, space, comfort and layout. Just flew CX in the same seat and slept great.
Agree! And the CX version of it is tops. AA's A321T F seat is a disappointing version -- really limited legroom (not length, but the limited vertical space within the footwell). Curious as to why it ended up that way.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by binman
Would go further.....CX F is the best F product in the skies overall.
I think Qantas F on the 380 beats CX F. Much larger space, more comfortable bed, and food is equal if not better.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Most actually don't care. Rear facing is actually better for sleeping given the pitch upward of the aircraft in flight so your head is slightly elevated rather then your feet with forward facing seats. I've flown rear facing many times on BA and actually prefer the rear facing seats on the upper deck.
It's probably best to state that it's better for you, not just better as its preference based and we all don't have the same preference

Also, I would like to add that the division between Y+ and J sums up the "new American" perfectly.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Does anyone have any comparison of actual seat width vs the 77W seat... and perhaps the BA CW seat?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I'm booked on AA 940 on 14 Dec from SCL-DFW. When I booked it a few weeks ago, it was showing 772 as the equipment with the new interior. Now it's showing a 777 with the old seatmap. Wonder why the change?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
LAX-NRT Retrofit?

Is there any way to check when a given route will be retrofit? I'm on 169/170 LAX/NRT in F class in February and would hate to find myself downgraded at the last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.