Reload this Page >

Weekend in Aspen and amazing fall colors

Old Oct 4, 14, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA LT PLT

We've never been to Aspen. But a gorgeous weekend weather forecast and a free 3 night offer from Exclusive Resorts was enough to seal the deal for the nearly 4 hour drive from the southern Denver burbs. As JetLinx clients, we were given a complimentary three day stay at one of 15 different Exclusive Resorts properties around the world, by November 15th. We've always wanted to go to Aspen, so decided that this was the weekend to check out the fall colors.

Mercifully, not much traffic today on I-70 which is a very scenic drive thru the Rockies. Although even it gets a little much for 3 hours.

Our home for the weekend was The Timbers Club in Snowmass, and a spacious 3 bedroom home. Since it was off season, we didn't have a lot of company this weekend.

Our home for the weekend.

More beautiful scenery from our balcony.

Since it is off season, there is absolutely nothing to do in Snowmass. All restaurants are closed until ski season. So for dinner, we're off to cutesy Aspen where there are real restaurants that don't close between seasons. Our concierge recommended Acquolina, which turned out to be a great find. Wonderful atmosphere, great staff and terrific food.

The official Acquolina T-shirt, one of the funniest we've seen in a long time.

Heaven: Where the Chefs are Italian, Police are British, Mechanics are German, Lovers are French and It's All Organized by Swiss.
Hell:Where the Chefs are British, Police are German, Mechanics are French, Lovers are Swiss and It's All Organized by Italians.

With clear skies, overnight temps dipped below freezing and produced a spectacular morning in the mountains.

Up next: Iconic Maroon Bells

For more Aspen pics, please visit my trip report at SFO77.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 4, 14 at 11:54 pm
Old Oct 5, 14, 12:59 am

Programs: M&M, Finnair, FlyingBlue, HH and some more
Beatifull pictures, nice change after all this flying, airports, and seats in planes: nature and colours of autuumn. Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 14, 7:57 am

We love the high country off season. Just got back from Steamboat. Beautiful.
No waiting at restaurants. Check out Little Nell and hotel Jerome.
Old Oct 5, 14, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The scenary looks beautiful SFO777, thank you for sharing.

I don't agree with your 'British Chefs' comment, but oh well...
Old Oct 5, 14, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maroon Bells

One of the most photographed mountains in the country is Maroon Bells. In theory, the only way to get there is to take a $6 shuttle bus from Aspen Highlands. I say in thoery because there were lots of cars at the top and seemingly nothing to stop you from driving up if you tell the security guy at the base of the road that you are going for a horse ride at the ranch up the road. But I digress. It was a beautiful day and a relaxing 20 minute ride.

Aspen is an attractive mountain community that thrives on the big spending out-of-state tourists and multiple home residents. Lots of big name designers in a lovely setting near the base of the mountain. So great to come during the off-season when crowds are thin and you can get into any restaurant. This place must be an absolute zoo in season.

TMI, TMI...

And a quick stop for lunch outside, heat lamp assisted...

On the short drive back to Snowmass, we drove right by the airport. Mrs. SFO rolled her eyes and said "OK, go ahead".

Lot of cool privates planes parked here this weekend.

And United Express.

And the beautiful drive up to Snowmass.

For lots of other Aspen pics, please visit my trip report at SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 5, 14 at 4:21 pm
Old Oct 5, 14, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AhogZ View Post
Beatifull pictures, nice change after all this flying, airports, and seats in planes: nature and colours of autuumn. Thanks!
Thanks very much AhogZ.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999 View Post
We love the high country off season. Just got back from Steamboat. Beautiful. No waiting at restaurants. Check out Little Nell and hotel Jerome.
So very true. I think its the best time to come. Few tourists and you can get into any restaurant.

Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
The scenary looks beautiful SFO777, thank you for sharing. I don't agree with your 'British Chefs' comment, but oh well...
Thanks Matt. The T-shirt was written by an Italian.
Old Oct 5, 14, 8:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Some
Great report as usual! Funny t-shirt, but it needs some update. Today our police isn`t hell
Old Oct 5, 14, 10:07 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Between last week, this week, and the upcoming ICN MR - you are spoiling us SFO777!

Great photos
Old Oct 5, 14, 10:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Wow, what a picturesque scene. Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 5, 14, 11:10 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP, Marriott Platinum / Lifetime Gold
Nice.

On my last visit to Aspen in late January 2002, it was a challenge getting dinner reservations.

I think the town would be more enjoyable without the crowds since you can pretty much wander anywhere unmolested.

Having said that though, the skiing there is among the best in the United States.
Old Oct 5, 14, 12:54 pm

I always wanted to go to Aspen, Vail, Telluride and Durango.
I did go to Keystone, Brekenridge, Estes which are wonderful to visit.

The problem with Colorado is that I get terrible headaches from the altitude and have to drink water all day; even in Denver.

Thanks for a wonderful report.
You write the best ones.

You already made me want to go to China.
Old Oct 5, 14, 4:57 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Aspen is indeed a zoo during the summer, especially during the food and wine festival. The Maroon Bells are beautiful. I remember them fondly. I great memory I have of Aspen is taking the gondola up to the top of Aspen Mountain and listening to a concert performed by the Aspen Conservatory while eating lunch and enjoying wine. It was so powerful that it was as though God was descending on us through the majestic mountain peaks and the music!
Old Oct 5, 14, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott PP, Hilton Gold
Your international TRs are great, but I enjoy these little local ones as well. I just finished up a weekend in Denver, and in fact I am tapping this out at the DEN Admirals Club. The primary reason I came was for the Great American Beer Fest, but I couldn't resist making it up to Fort Collins to check out the gorgeous folliage in the mountains. Looks like I should make it down south of Denver too.
Old Oct 5, 14, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, TrueBlue, Marriott Silver, SPG, Hertz 5*, VX Elevate, AGR
Great TR SFO 777! Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 5, 14, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Matsuhisa - Nobu Aspen

We've enjoyed Nobu in Malibu and Dubai, so Mrs. SFO's first pick tonight was Matsuhisa, Nobu's Aspen restaurant. I called Thursday and was offered any time we liked on Friday or Saturday evening. Wow, the wonders of the off season. What a wonderful two hour meal. Always a treat to sit at the chef's counter at a great restaurant.

Search this Thread