Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Sorry OP for hijacking your thread, but came across this article and thought of sharing:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/08/wo...rticle_sidebar
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by imm2b
Thank you for your fascinating TR. It feels surreal.

Sorry, if this question has been asked. How would the pilgrims from poor 3rd world countries be able to pay for their Hajj? Is it subsidized by the Saudi Gov't?
Good question. Hajj is only required if you have the financial and health abilities. So for most people in poorer countries, they don't go. Some countries though offer a savings fund to allow people to save up for the Hajj starting from when they are young.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:10 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Thank you very much for posting. This was a fantastic read and it was like I was there. Experiencing something I would never experience myself.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Hajj formalities starting tomorrow. Bumping thread if anyone would like to read and experience the pilgrimage
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm utterly heartbroken over the loss of (and injuries to) so many lives this year. I am extremely grateful for this trip report. You've shone a little light onto the Hajj experience which has been difficult for me to imagine. My thoughts are with the families and friends who have been affected, and what you have written has enabled those thoughts to feel closer to those involved.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:18 pm

Isaifan, I'm new to Flyer Talk and did not see your post until today. Thank you for posting about your Hajj experience. I read The Autobiography of Malcom X around 45 years ago and remember being fascinated by his experience on a Hajj. Your pictures and descriptions were great.

Last edited by coumo; Sep 26, 2015 at 5:19 pm Reason: a minor change
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
thanks for sharing your trip report with the FT community. Congratulations on your Hajj. I completed it myself in 2014 also!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by zainman
thanks for sharing your trip report with the FT community. Congratulations on your Hajj. I completed it myself in 2014 also!
Mabrook. ..may it be accepted inshallah.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What a fascinating trip report. Thank you for sharing this.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for bumping this thread. I greatly enjoyed rereading it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:51 am

This was one of, if not the most, fascinating trip reports I've ever read. As a western non-Muslim, I need to tell you that parts of it sound terrible () but I also think I understand the role of sacrifice and hardship involved in the journey. Medina looked beautiful, a place I wish I could visit, but I hear Saudi doesn't issue tourist visas.

Naturally, my mind gravitates toward the infrastructure. Again acknowledging the roles that sacrifice and hardship play into the experience, it seems to be a wealthy country could make a few things at least a little more safe/comfortable. Since pilgrims are generally traveling the same paths, rail to cover the longer distances instead of busses and drivers asleep at the wheel and such. It seems like you spent an inordinate amount of time waiting to get a bus or van to somewhere else, as well as the administrative immigration processes - things that don't seem to be related to the religious/spiritual experience - could definitely be smoothed out. I don't mention that to be critical, it's just what I was getting anxious about as I read through the report! I was glad to hear you made it through without some kind of injury.

This was awesome to read. Thank you for writing it up in this much detail with all of the pictures.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...indeed. And a few more toilets might have been an idea as well!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:15 am

Thumbs up

This is truly a genuine and fantastic trip report for which may ALLAH grant you all HIS blessings. As an Arab I do feel pained to see the facilities so poorly maintained. Yes indeed the reward for Haj is infinite mercy but there is no excuse for poor sanitation and dirt. A large cause is usually due to the "jahl" or ignorance of many people - totally opposite to what Islam teaches. Again I am thanking you sincerely for this utterly comprehensive and well written trip report.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
An excellent report - thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:41 am

Thanks for sharing. Great report. Insha allah, hope to do so myself in future.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Thanks for writing such an insightful and amazing report. I've learned a lot from it and learning is always a good thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.