Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hajj, A Journey of a Lifetime: An Insiders Look

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Read every word, top to bottom. Best TR ever.. You are a great spokes person for your religion the way you describe the reason for the rituals and the personal journey you went on. Bravo!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:07 pm

What an outstanding trip report - thank you so much for sharing the personal journey of yourself and your wife. I really appreciated reading about it, and seeing the pictures. Thank you!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:13 pm

Absolutely fascinating. A must read. Information not easily found anywhere else. Thank you so very much for posting.

And congratulations!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Great report - thanks for sharing this very interesting and unique experience. It's still staggering to see how many people there are in your photos. Amazing!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Outstanding trip report! Beautifully written with great pictures! Thanks for taking us on such a personal journey.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Loved this report. Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:53 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I agree. Truly a fascinating trip report.

I, like many others, have often had the opportunity to learn about Hajj from others that I have met on my travels. Not being Muslim myself, it makes the subject matter all that much more interesting. Seeing it here first hand was a fascinating experience.

Thank you for the effort taken to post this. ^
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Fantastic experience to share, and great read for people (like me) who will never be allowed in such places.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:31 am

What an amazing trip report. I guess because I'm not religious at all, the whole experience sounds pretty awful.

Can I ask why you have done it twice? I thought the Haj was a one off thing?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Very interesting TR, thanks for posting. I must say i'm (half) surprised that the Saudi government hasn't tried to "streamline" and improve certain aspects of the Hajj. Banning fruit is an interesting method of disease control, but if everyone comes away with the Hajj cough, that sounds like an issue. Overcrowding and exhuastion sounds endemic. And never ending waits for buses sounds infuriating!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; EK Silver, IHG Gold
Fantastic report, as a non-Muslim living in the UAE I've often wondered what Hajj truly entails and now I know.

Congratulations and thank you for the write-up.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chococat
This trip report is phenomenal! Really and truly fascinating and wonderful. Thank you so much for posting and I look forward to reading about your future trips!
Thank you chococat. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Fantastic report. Thank you for sharing your journey of a lifetime.
Appreciate it ExpatSomchai

Originally Posted by polandspringuy
As one who will never go on Hajj I appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you for this trip report.
You are welcome polandspringuy. I'm happy to share the experience with you.

Originally Posted by greg99
Wow - what a journey, and what a report.

This is a *must* read TR, especially for those of us who will never be permitted to visit some of these locations.

Thank you so much for posting this!

Greg
Thanks greg99 for your kind words. I am hoping this will be a future reference for those going to Hajj.

Originally Posted by Ashasan2005
I really appreciate you making this trip report. Many of us, even muslims like myself, will never get the opportunity to make the hajj. Very informative and descriptive.
Thanks Ashasan2005. Just make it a goal, and Inshallah you will make it.

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
THanks for sharing such a personal experience
Thank you roadwarriorafrica for reading it.

Originally Posted by DL17
Awesome TR. Thank you
Thanks DL17 for reading. Great pictures of your trip to Buenos Aires, BTW.

Originally Posted by thekfc
That was a great trip report - thanks for sharing
Thanks thekfc for reading.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
One of the most fascinating TRs I have ever seen on FT, thanks so much for posting it
Originally Posted by wrp96
Thank you so much for posting this. It was fascinating.
Thanks exilencfc and wrp96. Indeed, Hajj is a very unique experience.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I've been fascinated by your trip report, as a non Muslim person who will never do it you've given me a great learning opportunity. I'm happy that you found your Hajj your trip of a lifetime!
I'm happy that you have learned something themapelligroup. There is really a lot to learn from the Hajj journey itself.

Originally Posted by uk1
I so much appreciated you taking the trouble you have taken to provide an insight into this important .... in fact unique moment in your life and for so many others who share your faith.

I have often seen the event on satellite TV and wondered about it and your dialogue took me along with you. You took so much trouble, and it is this insight and degree of detail that you patiently recorded, that helps others feel a bond withboth you and your wife's joy and delight and also those that share your beliefs.

Heart-felt thanks.

Thank You so much uk1. Coming from you, that means a lot.

Originally Posted by dancingal
isaifan, thank you so much for sharing this. I have often wondered about the logistics of the hajj - with so many people there, how it works to get everyone in and out of the city, sleeping arrangements, etc. This was a fascinating TR.
Thanks dancingal. The logistics are truly unique for Hajj. The main issue, is the so many different cultures, education levels, and experiences the Saudi government has to deal with. One time, for example, there was an older gentlemen blocking a path to an escalator. It turns out, he had never seen one in his life and didn't know what to do. A member of our group eventually held his hand and went down the escalator together.

Originally Posted by LH4116
Very nice report! It's such a contrast to the gluttonous First Class reports we usually see here. Perhaps one of the most interesting reports I've read, and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences!
Thanks LH4116. Depending on which package you choose, you can definitely have a more comfortable hajj.

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
This is an awesome report of something I have previously had no idea of, and am unlikely to ever experience.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks CRAZ8. You never know

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Great trip report, thanks.

I'd just read this interesting article about how the new package tour experiences really deprive you of the spiritual and personal growth that comes from meeting people with different backgrounds on the Hajj:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/01...-of-mecca.html

It's fun to see the same experience retold from a Flyertalk perspective
Thanks EuropeanPete for the feedback and the article. I read the article, and to be honest, I disagree. When I went there, I thought that I would be distracted by the new Royal Clock Tower building, and all the other developments, but when you are there, with the Kaaba in front of you, nothing will overcome that magnificence. Plus, honestly, the Saudi government must develop and build in order to handle the number of people. The best example, is the Jamarat. It used to really be a disaster. With the new structure they put in, it is now the easiest and most enjoyable part of the hajj.

Originally Posted by rmalamud
Just to echo everyone else: fascinating. I've learned more from this, by far, than I have from anything else I've ever read on FT. Thanks!
I'm happy to hear that rmalamud. Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by llamaesque
What an incredible trip report! I've never read about Hajj from such a personal perspective. Thank you so much for sharing.
Thanks for reading llamaesque.

Originally Posted by JamersYVR
Simply amazing report. Thanks for sharing this.
I'm glad you liked it JamesYVR.

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Read every word, top to bottom. Best TR ever.. You are a great spokes person for your religion the way you describe the reason for the rituals and the personal journey you went on. Bravo!
Thank you for taking the time to read cyclogenesis. I'm humbled by your feedback.

Originally Posted by makin'miles
What an outstanding trip report - thank you so much for sharing the personal journey of yourself and your wife. I really appreciated reading about it, and seeing the pictures. Thank you!
I'm very happy that you enjoyed it makin'miles.

Originally Posted by flyr16
Absolutely fascinating. A must read. Information not easily found anywhere else. Thank you so very much for posting.

And congratulations!
Thank You flyr16. I hope others will read this and learn about the logistics and what to expect.

Originally Posted by shogunate03
Great report - thanks for sharing this very interesting and unique experience. It's still staggering to see how many people there are in your photos. Amazing!
Thanks shogunate03. Forget about having your "personal space"

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Outstanding trip report! Beautifully written with great pictures! Thanks for taking us on such a personal journey.
Originally Posted by csdf
Loved this report. Thanks.
Thank you for reading gpeso8 and csdf.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I agree. Truly a fascinating trip report.

I, like many others, have often had the opportunity to learn about Hajj from others that I have met on my travels. Not being Muslim myself, it makes the subject matter all that much more interesting. Seeing it here first hand was a fascinating experience.

Thank you for the effort taken to post this. ^
Thanks worldtraveller73. Your trip reports are amazing as well. Enjoy all of them.

Originally Posted by straniero
Fantastic experience to share, and great read for people (like me) who will never be allowed in such places.

Thanks again for sharing.
I'm happy to share. Thanks for reading straniero.

Originally Posted by camsean
What an amazing trip report. I guess because I'm not religious at all, the whole experience sounds pretty awful.

Can I ask why you have done it twice? I thought the Haj was a one off thing?
Thanks camsean for the feedback. Yes, there are hardships during the trip, but when you keep in mind the purpose of the trip, you would be willing to go through a lot more. This trip was actually easier than my first hajj trip, because I knew what to expect and set my standards very low. Yes, Hajj is a requirement only once, if you have the monetary and health ability. I went the first time by myself after college. This second time was to take my wife. I don't think I'll go again; I'll let someone else have the space.

Originally Posted by shefgab
Very interesting TR, thanks for posting. I must say i'm (half) surprised that the Saudi government hasn't tried to "streamline" and improve certain aspects of the Hajj. Banning fruit is an interesting method of disease control, but if everyone comes away with the Hajj cough, that sounds like an issue. Overcrowding and exhuastion sounds endemic. And never ending waits for buses sounds infuriating!
Thanks shefgab. The Saudi government has actually done a lot in the last years. The expansion of the Jamarat, a gigantic expansion of the Mosques, building of sub system (VIPs only at this point), and they are currently developing a commuter train between the major cities. Additionally, the Saudi government and security workers I interacted with were extremely kind. They often gave us words of encouragement. When they wanted something from someone, like to clear the path, they would always include a nice name like "mother", "father", or "hajji". I give them high praise for what they do during Hajj.

Originally Posted by derekmines
Fantastic report, as a non-Muslim living in the UAE I've often wondered what Hajj truly entails and now I know.

Congratulations and thank you for the write-up.
I'm happy you liked it derekmines. A lot of Hajj Pilgrims will be going through DXB to reach Jeddah. You might bump into some.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is very different compared to all the F and J reports and very refreshing to read.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:49 am

Fascinating report; thanks so much for providing this insight into something I previously knew very, very little about!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.