Our week in Beijing and Shanghai via Air China and JAL First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our week in Beijing and Shanghai via Air China and JAL First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Amazing as usual, Mr SFO777! We visited China (Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'An and Hong Kong) in January for the first time. We absolutely loved it! Great memories came to my mind when appreciating the gorgeous pictures you've uploaded. Make sure you visit the Bund at night in Shanghai. I'd recommend the following restaurants: Mr and Mrs Bund for a french'ish dinner; and both Goodfellas and Mercato for a fresh Italian experience. All located in the beautiful bund, and a walking distance from The Peninsula Shanghai (kind of assuming you're visiting this amazing hotel)! Happy travels!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Did both of these cities in May. Interested to see what you think about Shanghai, I describe it to others as a dirtier, wannabe Singapore. With friendlier purveyors of the world's oldest profession. I got more action from women just trying to complete a sale on my way to a can while leaving clubs post 2:30 am than I have in the past six months.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
In addition to the usual fine features of your TR, SFO777, thanks for the very useful report on Air China. It's now on my radar screen.

Glad that family health situation is good and that, speaking of health, you actually had what look like blue skies over Beijing!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: AA Plat
Another excellent report! The wall does look stunning, and visiting it away from the masses seems like the only way to do it after seeing your pics! Look forward to the rest!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: most of them
Do VPN's work in China? Might be a work around for next time.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:20 am

One benefit of Mutianyu is the toboggan slide that you can take down. We did it and it was great.

I wonder if your travel agent alerted them to the birthday. You probably filled out a customer intake form that would have your birthday and anniversary...

We flew Korean Air in first from IAD-ICN and the relief pilot took a seat in F. Didn't bother me at all. Nice guy, who retired from KLM and now works part time for Korean. We discussed my love for strupwaffel.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Yes
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Loving the trip report, as always!

Originally Posted by vgang
Another great one from SFO777! Thanks for all your time and effort.

A bit baffled though by the fact that the IFE magazine cover of a Chinese Airline flying from SFO to China has the movie title in Greek!

Go figure!
Ha, I was going to say the same thing - that's China and it's IP for you!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:48 pm

Great report! Looking forward to the JAL review
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:28 am

Was this an award on Air China?
I read a while ago that reservations on Air China in F were being cancelled because the seats were being resold after the award was given out.
I thought there were a lot of tourists at the wall yet it looks nice and empty?
Is it because your guide knows where to take you?

What is the cost of a day tour? Looks a lot better than a group bus tour.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bretteee; Sep 24, 2014 at 3:41 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I read a while ago that reservations on Air China in F were being cancelled because the seats were being resold after the award was given out.
Is it because your guide knows where to take you?

What is the cost of a day tour? Looks a lot better than a group bus tour.

Thanks.
The Great Wall is several thousand miles long; the vast majority of it is devoid of humans. As the OP noted, Jingshanling is about 2 hours away from central Beijing. Consequently, it isn't as crowded as Badaling or Mutianyu. There are uncrowded sections close in as well, such as Huanghua, but most of these are unrestored and a little dangerous. Day car hire rates range between Y450 and y1000 depending on: 1) how far you're going; 2) the caliber of the car; and 3) your negotiating skills.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Back home to high speed functioning WiFi. What a concept!

Back to Beijing

Mrs. SFO has been talking about Shin Kong Place for weeks. All the high end designer shops are here and featuring sky high prices. Given our itinerary, it was either this afternoon or never. So here we are...

With an "I can't get this back home" purchase, we are finallly out of there. Back to the hotel for a drink, please!

The new Rosewood Hotel. Actually happy that their opening was delayed and we got to experience the amazing Four Seasons.

For dinner tonight, we enjoyed Mio, the Four Seasons' wonderful Italian restaurant.

OMG, a Bellini cart!!

More pics in my trip report in SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 27, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Beijing Day 3

First stop today is the Temple of Heaven. 10 acres surround the Temple is a public park and a meeting place for seniors and families.

The Temple of Heaven.

And more shopping as we are off to find some pearls.

Looks like someone is happy. Amazing prices... if the pearls are as good as advertised. Great marketing as they have wall after wall of pics of celebrities and world leaders that supposedly shopped here. Lots of pics of the former Mrs. Putin.

Back on the road.

Give it a rest Novak. Stop following us around the world. LOL.

Next up is lunch at the Summer Palace, specifically the Aman resort at the Summer Palace.

To the Summer Palace, built as a retreat from the city for the Empress Dowager Cixi.

For more pics please visit my trip report at SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 27, 2014 at 9:59 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Beijing Day 4

Getaway day and we've checked out of the hotel and are off to explore Beijing's contemporary art scene with a visit to Factory 798, a decommissioned military weapons factory converted to art studios and galleries. Really different and very cool.

And our final and most unusual lunch in Beijing, at Green T. Living, a restaurant featuring locally sourced products.

For many more pics of our visit to 798, please visit my trip report at SFO777.com.

Next up: Surprising China Eastern Airlines... way better than a similar length US domestic flight.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuchop
Amazing as usual, Mr SFO777! We visited China (Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'An and Hong Kong) in January for the first time. We absolutely loved it! Great memories came to my mind when appreciating the gorgeous pictures you've uploaded. Make sure you visit the Bund at night in Shanghai. I'd recommend the following restaurants: Mr and Mrs Bund for a french'ish dinner; and both Goodfellas and Mercato for a fresh Italian experience. All located in the beautiful bund, and a walking distance from The Peninsula Shanghai (kind of assuming you're visiting this amazing hotel)! Happy travels!
Thanks very much tuchop. The Bund at night is amazing. This was the incredible view from our hotel room:

We didn't try Mercato but were at the same #3 on The Bund at Jean-Georges which Mrs. SFO said was her best meal of the year.

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Did both of these cities in May. Interested to see what you think about Shanghai, I describe it to others as a dirtier, wannabe Singapore. With friendlier purveyors of the world's oldest profession. I got more action from women just trying to complete a sale on my way to a can while leaving clubs post 2:30 am than I have in the past six months.
LOL. Apparently you and I visited different establishments. Then again I travelled with some serious baggage this trip.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
In addition to the usual fine features of your TR, SFO777, thanks for the very useful report on Air China. It's now on my radar screen. Glad that family health situation is good and that, speaking of health, you actually had what look like blue skies over Beijing!
Thanks very much Thunderroad. Our Beijing weather was indeed great. Shanghai was mostly cloudy and rainy... so the temps were nice.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Another excellent report! The wall does look stunning, and visiting it away from the masses seems like the only way to do it after seeing your pics! Look forward to the rest!
Thanks Digital01.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Originally Posted by steveman518
Yes
Next time for sure.

Originally Posted by farbster
One benefit of Mutianyu is the toboggan slide that you can take down. We did it and it was great. I wonder if your travel agent alerted them to the birthday. You probably filled out a customer intake form that would have your birthday and anniversary... We flew Korean Air in first from IAD-ICN and the relief pilot took a seat in F. Didn't bother me at all. Nice guy, who retired from KLM and now works part time for Korean. We discussed my love for strupwaffel.
Good point. The TA alert probably did the trick, as we also received a birthday greeting at the Peninsula Shanghai.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Loving the trip report, as always!
Thanks very much MAH4546.

Originally Posted by UptownEastside
Great report! Looking forward to the JAL review
Thank you UptownEastside. Just got home from our JAL flight and it was indeed as advertising. Very enjoyable with great service, although Mrs. SFO complained that the doting cabin crew "bothered her too much". LOL.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Is it because your guide knows where to take you? What is the cost of a day tour? Looks a lot better than a group bus tour.
Thanks.
Yes, it was an award booked with thru Mileage Plus. There was a spate of cancellations a few months ago. But our rez was not affected. We used a great tour company that knew where to go to avoid the crowds.

Originally Posted by moondog
The Great Wall is several thousand miles long; the vast majority of it is devoid of humans. As the OP noted, Jingshanling is about 2 hours away from central Beijing. Consequently, it isn't as crowded as Badaling or Mutianyu. There are uncrowded sections close in as well, such as Huanghua, but most of these are unrestored and a little dangerous. Day car hire rates range between Y450 and y1000 depending on: 1) how far you're going; 2) the caliber of the car; and 3) your negotiating skills.
Thanks moondog. We really enjoyed cosmopolitan Shanghai. Look forward to returning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.