Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Delta and Fiji Airways Business Class - Australia - Fiji

TRIP REPORT DELTA to Australia / FIJI AIRWAYS to Fiji Business Class

Part 1: JFK-LAX
Part 2: LAX-SYD
Part 3: Sydney, Australia
Part 4: SYD-NAN
Part 5: Weston Hotel & Spa Denarau (Nadi, Fiji)
Part 6: NAN-SYD
Part 7: SYD -LAX
Part 8: LAX-JFK

DELTA AIRLINES
DL 417
Aircraft: 767-300
Actual seat: 4A BUSINESS CLASS
Depart: JFK John F Kennedy airport
Arrive:LAX (Los Angeles International)
Sched.Departure: 6:15pm Actual Departure : 6:09pm
Sched.Arrival: 9:28pm Actual arrival: 9:26pm

After a spectacular thrilling adventure flying Lufthansa First Class JFK-FRA-VCE I was back to flying my usual airline Delta Airlines and scheduled to fly to Australia for work which I go every year. I am usually in paid Business Class, but this time since I would be using my Diamond Medallion Global Upgrade Certificates for the first time I booked in coach. Which was very complicated affair I must tell you!

When I booked the trip there were no global upgrades inventory but I had to book and hope to be put on the waitlist! Flying Coach on this trip would be exhausting, which I did many years ago! What's special about this trip was I would be traveling to Fiji in business class on Fiji Airways which has been re-branded from Air Pacific with a brand new fleet of A330 aircraft! I am excited to try out another new airline and new business class service! Yes it pains me and kills me a little when I wont be getting any points for this flight but then again I am already way over my Diamond qualifying for next year so I really don't need the points desperately! I can always take points but I can always have more Moët Champagne too

2 weeks after my trip to Europe, it was time to head to Australia, and since I am gone for a while, I am having to pack a suitcase and therefore I am taking the car service to the airport! Done!

Once I arrived at JFK terminal 4 I walked towards the Sky Priority and noticed that Virgin Atlantic Upper Class check in was right there with Delta Sky Priority! Well that's interesting, When Virgin's check is on the complete opposite side of the terminal.

Sky Priority

Sky priority and Virgin Atlantic Upper Class

Once checked in and my bags tagged through to Sydney, I was getting a little nervous that I may in fact be traveling in coach, now that would be some fall from grace flying Lufthansa First Class and then falling straight to the its the back of the bus for you nycflyer75, I just know if I do fly Coach I will most certainly be thrown to the beasts and ripped to shred like a fallen Roman at a Gladiator tournament!

I was still in coach but I was #1 for the global upgrade certificate, which has 8 seats available at check-in on the JFK-LAX leg and oh crap my pants 1 seat left on the LAX-SYD leg. arrrgggghhhh I need a cocktail, stat!

I headed towards the Delta Flagship lounge and was recognized and welcomed back. What's interesting about this club, is that there are lots of folks who tend to sit on the Left side of the club facing terminal 4 and barely anyone on the Right, this is literally always the case. So of course I sat on the right so I could have a view of the now gone terminal 3!

I love foreign airlines since they serve champagne, Delta like other US airlines you have to pay for it in the lounge but I was not feeling it today, I was too nervous that I may be in back! The chance I was taking using the Global Upgrades Certificates! They were serving samples of the food to order for purchase which was absolutely tasty!

View from the Delta flagship skyclub

Skyclub West side of the club

Bye Bye Lufthansa - Miss you!

wish they would marry

As each minute passed I would keep checking my Delta app, my laptop, Expertflyer all for the hopes of snagging a seat up front in BusinessElite!

At the 1 hour mark, I had disappeared from the the upgrade List... WOOHOO that means I cleared. Since the gate was right next to the skyclub, I headed to the gate where I picked up my boarding pass, I had my upgrade.... wait a second only the first leg was upgraded! I asked why the second wasn't and the agent said check with LAX agents... YIKES!!!! That last seat could go to someone else, I did my research and supposedly if I am on a through flight the first segment clears and there is space on the second, I automatically clear that but also if I don't clear the first, the second is revoked! Russian Roulette!

I was not going to take that answer lightly so I headed back up to the Skyclub to further the cause - Get nycflyer75 up front!

This is the first time using Global Upgrade and on a through flight no less so I was very unsure what would happen.
At the 1 hour mark before take off, I disappeared from the upgrade list. I went straight down to the gate to check if I had indeed been upgraded. I was handed a boarding pass in BE for JFK-LAX but NOT LAX-SYD I was still in coach which did not make sense. I asked the gate agent about it and he told me to check at the gate in LAX.

The gate agent seemed busy and I knew he wouldn't have time to investigate further, so I went right back up to the Skyclub to see what was going on. My research suggested once I cleared JFK-LAX on the through flight I should be cleared on the LAX-SYD flight too, maybe I was wrong but I didn't want to bother the gate agent who seem like he was far to busy to deal with it.

I asked the agent at the skyclub who called over a senior agent who got to work on it. At first he didn't know why I was not upgraded but then gave the explanation that it might be due to only having 1 seat on the LAX-SYD flight. I explained that I thought it was cleared all the way through if there was a seat available on the first leg and the next leg. He checked for a moment and saw I was upgraded on the JFK-LAX flight but was no long showing waitlisted for the LAX-SYD flight.

I was so confused about the whole Global Upgrade, so he decided to sit down and investigate further. He then called someone on the phone in "Global" and then he started typing away. He then explained even though my Global Upgrade was coded correctly (originally), the flight was oversold and that might have something to do with it and he called back to the gate and told the gate agent the Global Upgrade was now coded wrong or used wrong or something of that nature and he (senior agent at the Skyclub) was told they sent it back to the check in to do upgrades since the flight was oversold and I was now just upgraded because it was oversold not GUC.

He next got back on the phone with Global and she talked him through it all, she knew exactly what she was doing! Skyclub agent knew 99% about fixing global issues, but even still he said through flights are a pain and most agents don't know how to fix, it but thanks to the help of the global agent within 10 mins everything was redone and my seat was moved on the JFK-LAX flight and I now had global upgrade all the way through to SYD.
So grateful for the work of the agent in the skyclub and the "global" agent.

What's interesting that when I boarded JFK-LAX there were 6 free seats up front.

I was now confirmed all the way through to Sydney, woohoo, hand me my champagne lol ok sparkling wine. The crew on this flight were young and brightly in the demeanor. Quite Enjoyable. As I was sipping my sparkling wine, ok if you read my trip reports... I inhaled it like it was air! I was needing a second, which was obliged. oh the life of a lush!

As I was sitting there an old friend whom I have not seen in 10 years came on board with his BF, I was in shock to find out they were on their way to Australia too, but they were in back. How exciting to actually travel on the same flight as people you know... I know it's more common then I think but I am 99% always flying alone, so I had to go back and say hi during the flight. He hasn't aged a day and here I am still a lush ha!

Sparkling wine Delta 767-300 transcontinental

Early Departure

love the tarmac at JFK

We departed JFK about 10 mins early and then sat for a while trying to figure out new routes to LAX because of weather, which lasted about 10 mins but soon we were on our way, and I was sitting there smiling ear to ear because 1 the sparkling wine had kicked in, 2: I was heading to Australia using a GUC and 3: I friends....on board! Weeeee

The crew was young and perky and therefore the service was great! The guy serving me called me sir after everything since he was around 23 I felt like he was talking to my father!

First Course

Pasta dinner

Ice-cream

Cookie

A pretty pleasant flight, we landed at LAX early and I jet straight up to the Delta skyclub to get one cocktail and celebrate flying all the way to Australia using my GUC.

I know this is not so detailed but nevertheless I am sure you are all excited just as I am to write the Fiji Airways from Australia to Fiji

Last edited by nycflyer75; Sep 15, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! How lucky you are! You got upgraded, huh? I'm so glad you had a great flight. Enjoy the Business Elite Class. Wish you luck.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thanks for posting. A nail biter wait for an upgrade!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Looks great so far and certainly glad that the upgrade worked out; whew, that's a long trip. I noticed on your boarding pass that Delta indicated your SkyClub membership; and wish AA would start doing the same. Perhaps they have, but since almost all of my flights have been flown with US lately, and I rarely, if ever use the US club at DCA, I could just be out of touch. Looking forward to the LAX to OZ segment.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Gosh 2 weeks rest than off to OZ for work,
Wow you certainly had a nail biting time trying to get your 2 sectors upgraded, but so glad you did, nothing worse than sitting at the back of the for both those sectors, think I might have had the will not to live, look forward to hearing the sector from LAX to NAN^
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:38 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Nice tr, that food sure looks good!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

DELTA AIRLINES
DL 417
Aircraft: 777-200LR
seat: 11B BUSINESS CLASS
Actual seat: 11A BUSINESS CLASS
Depart:LAX (Los Angeles International)
Arrive: SYD (Sydney Airport)
Sched.Departure: 10:23pm Actual Departure : 10:40pm
Sched.Arrival: 6:20am Actual arrival: 6:20am

After having one cocktail with my friends in the Skyclub, it was time to head down to the gate to board the 15hr flight down to Australia. Normally on the 777 I love seat 7A or 7D which has extra space because of a bulkhead, but I was just happy enough to snag one seat! Phew!!! The seat for this evening would 11B in the 2nd part of the Business Elite cabin, so no turn left but more of an immediate turn right. 11B is in the center and honestly I am not a fan of them I prefer the window seat but I can't be choosey or so I thought. I said good bye to my friends as they headed to coach and promised them I would come back during the flight and say hi. I took my seat and within a second I was served a glass of sparkling wine and packaged nuts. I wish they still served warm nuts, the packaged nuts come across as cheap!

The seats on this aircraft have become worn out and do need refurbishing, or maybe it was because I was just on the brand new Lufthansa 747-8 in First... gotta bring my head down out of the clouds and closer to my butt lol
I decided to change into my fabulously comfortable Lufthansa First Class PJ's and funny enough, even though it's been 2 weeks since my last flight I am still excited to wear my First Class PJ's! Delta is now handing out Slippers which they used to only do on Asian flights, so that is definitely a welcome change.

Lufthansa First class PJ's on Delta

We sat on the ground while paper works and passenger manifest was finalized. There was a seat across from that was still unoccupied then as I was settling it seemed a passenger was upgraded from coach and moved into a seat that another women was in who moved into the front cabin. Moments later the gate agent came up to me and said, "Mr NYCflyer75 did I scan your boarding pass?" Then she recognized that must have, which I found very strange. I decided to look at the seat allocation on expertflyer and my seat was empty. That was odd. There was still 1 seat available for sale, so I knew that I was ok... I think... Yikes I hope!

Then the doors were shut, It's official I am flying in BusinessElite down to Sydney, woohoo, well also that would be so awkward if I was downgraded in front of my friend whom I have not seen in 10 years... really Awkward but it was all good, I was ready to drink up and be merry!

Since the seat across from me was free, I asked if I could move there from one of the flight attendants and so I did. Now at least I am in a window seat and could look out to our night departure to Sydney. As per usual the seatbelt sign was on for what seemed like the length of a lord of the rings movie! I opened up my tv monitor and began perusing the 100's of movie choices and as I began the movie, the cart service began. Now the crew on the flights to Australia especially upfront in BE are quite senior LA based crew and nothing wrong with them being up there in age, I just find they are over life, and over serving people or even trying to crack a smile! With that said I have come across maybe 1 or 2 have been so pleasant and wonderful and it has been the female pursers, the motherly types who really take care of you! This flight it was an older man who didn't come across as nasty but certainly not uber friendly.

As I made myself comfortable I was offered shrimp and since I am allergic to shellfish, I passed on it, and the flight attendant just stared at me like I called her an oga!. I asked for a glass of champagne which is not opened unless someone asks for it and its not on the beverage cart.

The purser was serving the main meal and saw I had switched seats and got very flustered with me, saying "You switched seats, how am I supposed to know where you are, and the captain is supposed to be sitting here" I apologized for switching seats like a scolded 6 years old, but mentioned I did ask and it was ok, and I am sure the captain wouldn't mind sitting across from. Its not like he will be looking out the window when the plane lands in the morning!

Original seat

Dinner

Dessert

The food was delicious and there is something about having ice-cream on a plane, I just absolutely love it! If I could just have ice-cream as my main meal I would be happy with that, ha!

I do hope that one day perhaps Delta will serve Cappuccino's on board! That would be awesome! Once dinner was concluded, I set up my bed as I was exhausted and it was time for sleep. I do love the Westin heavenly bedding, very comfortable. I laid down and I was out for about 7 hours when I woke to use the bathroom and saw the captain sitting the chair across from me sleeping. There is normally two flightdeck crew for the 15hr journey but they always sleep up above the cabin so I was curious if this was an extra person and they needed a seat? Back to bed for an hour then finally woke up and decided to take some snacks back to my friends in coach!

When crossing the wide span of the pacific ocean, the turbulence can be bad, but this time I slept right through, last year in BE I was almost puking because it pretty much lasted the whole way there and back! But the view across the pacific is so beautiful and to have the sunrise coming up is spectacular!

Sunrise

Before breakfast, I needed to freshen-up and tame the hair and face to be presentable to the Aussies! But unfortunately since I took forever to get ready and the only time where I can use the big bathroom without a line up (which I will say I do enjoy on the 777) the consequence was not getting my first choice, which I was Waffles, and boy did the waffles look absolutely mouthwatering, I was almost going to go up to someone and ask to take a photo, but I doubt they would have appreciated it, or if I was feeling ballsy! ha

Breakfast

The breakfast was tasty, but certainly not a fan of grits, I avoided it like the plague! The crew finished up their service and took their seats for 30mins before being told to prepare for for landing.

view clouds

coming into the North

SQ

The landing was smooth, though landing over Botany Bay was nice, I love love, love flying in from the North and flying across the Sydney Harbor bridge. That such an amazing welcome to Sydney, the same as flying back Manhattan to land in NYC.

Once off the plane, I headed to Duty free which everyone has to walk past, the selection is extensive and bought some items before heading to the E-gates (immigration). I love the E-gates, just scan your passport and have your face scanned and photo take and the gates open and you are in Australia! Those with Global Entry can use the E-Gates. Once through my bags were already on the belt, which was fast! I waited for my friends to come through immigration which wasn't long since I gave them the Express pass (given to BusinessElite and Diamonds) on the flight before landing. I don't need them, so I just collect them for moments like this! Doing a good deed

Customs was quick and easy and I was out the door without a secondary. Hello Australia I am back!!!! Aussie Aussie Aussie - oy, o,y oy!

Welcome to Sydney

Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR!!!! I'm so glad you had a great flight. Did you have a nice sleep? You need to do stretch the legs. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Enjoyed the 2nd part of your TR, must say the food did look rather good, did not though see anything of your glass of champagne, hope it was though topped up well during the flight.^
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 am
Original Poster

After week of work and torrential rain every single day and a cold soggy winter, there was one beautiful stunning day and since I had nothing to do on this Monday I decided to venture out and share my day with flyertalk! Sydney is a spectacular city, but more so with all the different neighborhoods that surround the harbor. Once of my favorite spots is Vaucluse and Watson's Bay with spectacular water and city views with a stone's throw from Bondi Beach!

Sydney Opera House

Sydney

under the harbor Bridge

Bondi Beach

View of the CBD from East Balmain

View to City of Sydney - Watson's Bay

Sydney

Heads Watson's Bay

Watson's Bay

Camp Cove

First day of Spring

Heads - Watson's Bay

Port Jackson - Heads to Sydney Harbor

One of my favorite places to eat is the Dunbar House within an amazing beautiful old estate home overlooking Watson's Bay. The menu is beautiful and exceptional wine list. Sitting outside having lunch with sea breezes is a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

Lunch - Dunbar House - Watson's Bay

Dunbar House

Sunset over Sydney

Sydney is truly one of the most if not, the most beautiful livable cities in the world. One day perhaps I will have a home here!
I am heading to Fiji in a few days and look forward to traveling on Fiji Airways A330 in Business class!!!! Woohoo!

Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: AS MVP
Beautiful Sydney pictures! I love them!

It looks like you had a date for your lunch on Monday.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm not sure I can justify spending about $16,000 for 2 from SYD to JFK. One cheaper option is Delta but I am just not sure about their seats/beds on long haul trips. Are they comfy for sleeping and fully flat. God I hate anything with an angle.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:56 am

I flew to Sydney from Los Angeles on Qantas in 1986 with a Honolulu 1 hour stop and did not find it exhausting.The legroom and seats were comfortable in those days. I must have slept in fact for at least 7 hours. The return was from Melbourne with a stop in Sydney.

I think leaving late at night makes one so tired one falls asleep from exhaustion.

I agree. Sydney is fantastic. It was actually the only place I liked in Australia.

But it's worth sitting on a plane for 24 hours to get there.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Beautiful Sydney pictures! I love them!

It looks like you had a date for your lunch on Monday.
Yes I did haha, and it was a Monday! The only day that it was actually sunny and not torrential rain and cold conditions!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm not sure I can justify spending about $16,000 for 2 from SYD to JFK. One cheaper option is Delta but I am just not sure about their seats/beds on long haul trips. Are they comfy for sleeping and fully flat. God I hate anything with an angle.
They are very comfortable to sleep and they are fully flat and the bedding is Westin bedding which was luxurious. The best seat is 7A and 7D which have a bulkhead so there is extra space. Delta fly 777's on their transpacific and then 767 fully flat bed's to JFK with the international BusinessElite Service on the transcontinental.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.