FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   A business traveller's week on BA and oneworld (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1603600-business-travellers-week-ba-oneworld.html)

paul4040 Aug 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by snuffi (Post 23395289)
For today, which was merely meetings in central London, would not the train from Newcastle to London have been quicker/more convenient? Admittedly no coffee in a black mug, but still... or is it still marginally quicker to fly to LHR and then get the HEX? Or was it cost? It can't be TP-related!!

There ain't no Concorde Room at King's Cross!

Stez Aug 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer (Post 23394978)
Out of interest, why do you bring your own mug?

It means one knows exactly how much coffee/sugar/water/milk combination to put in because one isfamiliar with the size of the mug versus all other cups/mugs out there during one's travels.

That's the story I was told, I don't necessarily believe it as I am not a tea nor coffee drinker.

golfmad Aug 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 23395916)
It means one knows exactly how much coffee/sugar/water/milk combination to put in because one isfamiliar with the size of the mug versus all other cups/mugs out there during one's travels.

Although of course some random will probably be making it for him each time anyway :) Or does Ann make it personally?

morges1 Aug 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk (Post 23385082)
LTG is easy, there are a couple of LTGGLs here. That's dedication.

I suspect the latter always run the same routes though, week in week out. What makes cws's voyages so interesting is he visits 1,384 airports each year, from Outer Mongolia to Timbuktu, darkest Peru to Ryadh to the Solomon isles.

Probably not correct, paulwuk, currently in ABV at the lousy Sheraton Abuja. Will take my wife to NYC for her birthday, then it's PEK, HKG, CGK, MEX, BKK! Just looked at my BAEC flightpath and it shows 12,832,000 miles, 65 cities, 44 countries and 53.8x to the moon!! Fun.

Anyway, c-w-s, loving your business traveller's week and hoping to see you in CCR or GVA lounge before too long!

CountryKerry Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Fantastic read - well done CWS!

One question if not's too much trouble - what do you use to charge your phone? I notice it's always well charged and above 79%. My 5S, despite the Mophie Case will still be dead after a days usage!

golfmad Aug 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by CountryKerry (Post 23396682)
One question if not's too much trouble - what do you use to charge your phone? I notice it's always well charged and above 79%. My 5S, despite the Mophie Case will still be dead after a days usage!

I'm not sure what CWS does but when traveling I take any *reasonable* opportunity to top up the charge on mine. If I'm working in the lounge or on a flight with power I'll plug it into my Mac (which will be pugged in). You never know where your next power boost will come from so get it while you can...

paulwuk Aug 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 23396404)
Probably not correct, paulwuk, currently in ABV at the lousy Sheraton Abuja. Will take my wife to NYC for her birthday, then it's PEK, HKG, CGK, MEX, BKK! Just looked at my BAEC flightpath and it shows 12,832,000 miles, 65 cities, 44 countries and 53.8x to the moon!! Fun.

Anyway, c-w-s, loving your business traveller's week and hoping to see you in CCR or GVA lounge before too long!

Wow, nice, I had you down as a GVA-LHR-JFK commuter, dunno why

corporate-wage-slave Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm

I've just updated the thread with today's final input. I can see a few recent points that I should answer, but let me just the easy ones.

Originally Posted by InfiniteCycle (Post 23393181)
CWS - obviously sleeping in your own bed is great - but to fly Madrid > London > Newcastle arriving late evening arriving at 8pm, then get up at 4? 5? to go to the airport to fly back to London - why not just stay in London in a hotel? Not for money, but for quality sleep!

Originally Posted by snuffi (Post 23395289)
For today, which was merely meetings in central London, would not the train from Newcastle to London have been quicker/more convenient? Admittedly no coffee in a black mug, but still... or is it still marginally quicker to fly to LHR and then get the HEX? Or was it cost? It can't be TP-related!!

This London visit was actually only arranged on Monday, my plans for Wednesday were changed as a result, and there were some ticketing issues which made it easier to return home, and yes, I'd rather sleep in my bed than spend another night in a hotel. I also live on the airport side of Newcastle, to get to the railway station I'd have to drive to the airport and keep on going for another 20 minutes or so.

Originally Posted by CountryKerry (Post 23396682)
Fantastic read - well done CWS!

I have an HTC One and it can last 2 or 3 days without charging if I switch off unnecessary services and go to Flight Mode when eating, sleeping or indeed flying. I don't text every 5 minutes either!

aceman Aug 20, 2014 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by morges1 (Post 23396404)

That really is spectacular! Do you do other alliances or manage to squeeze everything onto oneworld?

Back to the thread, I also can't help but wonder if CWS wouldn't have been better off spending last night in london? Mind you judging by his itinerary if he did that every time he had a morning flight he'd just live in london...

antichef Aug 20, 2014 3:54 pm

C-W-S,

Obviously tomorrow's journey will be a surprise to us all, but I note that you don't seem to have any entries on the lounge meet up thread or even on BA97.com

Just in case you happen to be in LHR on Thurs afternoon there is the possibility on a mini-do meet up as A P Yu, Greenpen, Alba Gu Brath and I will all be there. I have PM'd them all for a meeting.

Come and slum it in T5 GF and I will stand you a drink ;)

Greatly enjoying your thread as a fellow regular traveller (2-4 flights per week). T5 tomorrow will be between flights 3 and 4 of the week as I head in the direction of home.

Physci Aug 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Superb thread C-W-S, but was expecting to have tales of you handing over boxes and boxes of Ferrero Rocher every few minutes ;)

expatboy Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm

I really am enjoying reading all these diary updates - bit of a bu88er that I'm so busy at work really...;)

Thank you c-w-s, this week in the life is fascinating! Made me think I really ought to do more TRs on the few occasions that I fly at the moment. CW next year will be the next biggie though, so I'll try for our JQ trip to Tassie in December.

Purim Aug 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Surely one glass of LPGS should be sacrificed in the production of this excellent running diary/report?

Calchas Aug 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Purim (Post 23397440)
Surely one glass of LPGS should be sacrificed in the production of this excellent running diary/report?

I think c-w-s is tee-total. You'll have to do the sacrificing on his behalf. ;)

AeroWesty Aug 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 23393413)
And to add to Calchas's comment, since you had already posted in this thread before you will have automatically been subscribed.

Is there a setting for that? I have to manually subscribe to any thread, even if I've posted in it. The dramatic drop in footfall for this thread leads me to believe that others aren't aware of auto-subscription either, if it exists.